Romhacking: 50 Character (Unit) Limit

Squidorsky

So thought exercise; this is a pretty straightforward question (and i apologize if this has been answered somewhere before, i wasn't able to find anything on it.)

In regards to the 50 Unit limit. Is that enforced whether you recruit characters or not? Hypothetically, lets say i have 60 or so characters and am well over the limit, but on any given Playthrough you are only able to recruit a certain amount of them, or perhaps some only join for a limited time before becoming unplayable and so on; reducing your total number at any given time to 50 or whatever...would that work? Or does the game still have to store data on them thus causing a crash. I have read several different threads on feuniverse and wherever else but none really discuss this aspect of it...if it even is an option.

Awesome! I sorta figured, but just wanted to make sure. What about if you have a unit that is replaced or goes away, EX: like when Matthew leaves in lyn mode (Still don't really understand why they did that aside from story purposes but whatever). Let's say he just never came back though, does the game still think of him as a playable unit, thus taking up a slot? I kinda feel like i already know the answer (As in, yes, he probably would still use a slot) but i figured it was worth some clarification. 

EDIT: Also, is Merlinus/ merchant slot considered in that 50 limit or is the data for that stored separately?

Edited by Eriad
additional questions