Lyn: Lady of the Plains

Poimagic

"A woman who grew up on the plains before learning of her nobility."

Starting skills and stats:

Spoiler

63CKMYh.jpg

Lyn comes dashing, coming in with one of the highest spd stat in the game. Sadly, this high spd stat is offset by Lyn's very bad atk, hitting an abysmal 28 at neutral, excluding Ivs. But that doesn't means she is bad, oh not even close. Weapon refinement, skills like wrath being introduced, and much more have helped to improve Lyn's viability.  Ironically, Lyn is one of the few very fast characters who doesn't get affected by -spd, due to her weapon's ability. And on to the builds:

Sol Katti (Optimal Build):

General Use, Arena Assult, Arena offense

Spoiler

Recommend Ivs: +atk/+spd/-def

Weapon: Sol Katti (Brash Assult)

Special: Moonbow/Luna

Assist: Reposition/Recipeocal Aid/Ardent Sacrifice

A Slot Skill: Life and Death/Death Blow/Brazen Atk/Spd/Flashing Blade/Fury

B Slot Skill: Wrath/Escape Route

C Slot Skill: Flexible

This build wants Lyn to hit low hp, and then just nuke everything.

Firesweep Sword:

General Use, Arena Offense, Arena Assult 

Spoiler

Recommend Ivs: +atk/+spd/-def/-res

Weapon: Firesweep Sword+

Special: Luna

Assist: Reposition

A Slot Skill: Life and Death

B Slot Skill: Swordbreaker/Hit and Run/Drag Back

This builds relies on both Lyn's spd, and the Firesweep sword's effect to allow Lyn to be a Soliel with less atk, but more speed.

Speedy offense:

General Use, Arena Assult, Arena Offense 

Spoiler

Recommend Ivs: +spd/+atk/-res/-hp

Weapon: Slaying Edge+/Wo Dao+ (either +spd refinement or +def refinement for both options)

Special: Moonbow/Luna

Assist: Reposition/Ardent Sacrifice/Reciprocal Aid

A Slot Skill: Life and Death/Fury/Flashing Blade

B Slot Skill: Warthrath/Desperation

Suggested by @Ice Dragon. This build intends for Lyn to make use of her speed to double and make use of the Slaying Edge/Wo Dao. Def refinement is if you want her to be able to take a few hits, while +spd is if you want to make her speed even higher

I will be taking suggestions for builds.

Lyn would be so much better if there was an inheritable version of Regnal Astra

Edited by Poimagic

1 minute ago, Poimagic said:

Sol Katti:

I would also recommend Death Blow. Life and Death's Speed boost does not matter against melee units after the first round of combat once she gets into the appropriate HP range, so Death Blow's extra 1 Attack would be helpful. Life and Death is still useful against ranged units, but I would be a bit more careful around them as Life and Death reduces her ability to tank a hit.

2 hours ago, XRay said:

I would also recommend Death Blow. Life and Death's Speed boost does not matter against melee units after the first round of combat once she gets into the appropriate HP range, so Death Blow's extra 1 Attack would be helpful. Life and Death is still useful against ranged units, but I would be a bit more careful around them as Life and Death reduces her ability to tank a hit.

Thanks for he suggestion. Death Blow has been added as a recommended skill, and I can see why you would suggest that.

Like all fast sword units, Lyn can use Slaying Edge and Wo Dao builds with either a Spd refine for double attacking more often or a Def refine to take less damage on the counterattack. Wrath can be used in the B slot for more firepower or Desperation can be used for more sustain if not running healing support.

I'm also wondering why you have -Def as a recommended bane for the first build, but not -Res.

7 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Like all fast sword units, Lyn can use Slaying Edge and Wo Dao builds with either a Spd refine for double attacking more often or a Def refine to take less damage on the counterattack. Wrath can be used in the B slot for more firepower or Desperation can be used for more sustain if not running healing support.

I'm also wondering why you have -Def as a recommended bane for the first build, but not -Res.

Thanks, I'll add the slaying edge/Wo Dao builld in the guides

I should add -res as an option for the first build, thanks for telling me that.

Due to the Winter's Envoy update, Lyn could have the option of running Brazen Atk/Spd 3 for her A-slot. This synergizes well with skills like Wrath 3 and Brash Assault 4 Sol Katti's passive effects (since Wrath 3, Desperation 3, and Brash Assault 4 all require Lyn to be at or below 75% HP whereas Brazen Atk/Spd 3 requires Lyn to be at or below 80% HP). Should the condition be met, Lyn could do more damage with Brazen Atk/Spd 3 than with Death Blow 3 or Life and Death 3. Of course, this is an expensive option since, in the current game, it requires a Robin: Festive Tactician (a seasonal unit) to be fodder'd off and the benefit could be considered marginal.

Lyn (+Atk/-HP or -DEF or -RES):
W: Sol Katti (Brash Assault 4)
AS: Reposition/Reciprocal Aid/Ardent Sacrifice
Spe: Moonbow
A: Brazen Atk/Spd 3
B: Wrath 3
C: Threaten Def 3/Def Ploy 3/(whatever your team needs)
S: Atk +3/Squad Ace E 3

A neutral Res or +Res Lyn could make use of Ploy skills, namely Def Ploy and Atk Ploy, as well as the Iceberg special, especially with Fury 3 equipped. Similarly, a +Def Lyn, who gets +4 Def, can run Bonfire, especially with Fury 3 equipped.

6 hours ago, Roflolxp54 said:

Due to the Winter's Envoy update, Lyn could have the option of running Brazen Atk/Spd 3 for her A-slot. This synergizes well with skills like Wrath 3 and Brash Assault 4 Sol Katti's passive effects (since Wrath 3, Desperation 3, and Brash Assault 4 all require Lyn to be at or below 75% HP whereas Brazen Atk/Spd 3 requires Lyn to be at or below 80% HP). Should the condition be met, Lyn could do more damage with Brazen Atk/Spd 3 than with Death Blow 3 or Life and Death 3. Of course, this is an expensive option since, in the current game, it requires a Robin: Festive Tactician (a seasonal unit) to be fodder'd off and the benefit could be considered marginal.

Lyn (+Atk/-HP or -DEF or -RES):
W: Sol Katti (Brash Assault 4)
AS: Reposition/Reciprocal Aid/Ardent Sacrifice
Spe: Moonbow
A: Brazen Atk/Spd 3
B: Wrath 3
C: Threaten Def 3/Def Ploy 3/(whatever your team needs)
S: Atk +3/Squad Ace E 3

A neutral Res or +Res Lyn could make use of Ploy skills, namely Def Ploy and Atk Ploy, as well as the Iceberg special, especially with Fury 3 equipped. Similarly, a +Def Lyn, who gets +4 Def, can run Bonfire, especially with Fury 3 equipped.

I made this thread when before the Christmas Banner was created, so I didn't know of the skills existence. I'll add it as one of the recommended options.

• 1 year later...

Finally got a +Atk Lyn! So, with the many skill releases since the last post on this thread, I wonder what nuke build is the best (in terms of beating other units while 75% HP or having consistently high damage output), assuming max investment (10 merges and 10 dragonflower boosts).

+Atk
Sol Katti (Brash Assault)
N/A (Reposition)
Moonbow/Luna/Dragon Fang
Brazen Atk/Spd 4/Flashing Blade 4
Wrath 3
Time's Pulse 3
Brazen Atk/Spd 3 seal

Current progress:
image0.png

Edited by Roflolxp54

6 hours ago, Roflolxp54 said:

Finally got a +Atk Lyn! So, with the many skill releases since the last post on this thread, I wonder what nuke build is the best (in terms of beating other units while 75% HP or having consistently high damage output), assuming max investment (10 merges and 10 dragonflower boosts).

+Atk
Sol Katti (Brash Assault)
N/A (Reposition)
Moonbow/Luna/Dragon Fang
Brazen Atk/Spd 4/Flashing Blade 4
Wrath 3
Time's Pulse 3
Brazen Atk/Spd 3 seal

Current progress:
image0.png

Your current progress is pretty close to being ideal.

Her Special is a little complicated, and it ties with the rest of her skills, so I will talk about that last.

In my opinion, any A skill that boosts Atk/Spd is better than Heavy Blade and Flashing Blade. Blades' quicker Special charging and extra damage are both stat comparison conditional effects, so they are not exactly reliable. For Lyn in this case, I think Brazen Atk/Spd is the way to go since they provide the strongest boost and it synergizes with her Weapon really well.

For her B slot, you have several options. You can run Lull Spd/Def for even stronger regular attacks and shutting down buffs at the same time, Wrath for dealing true damage and auto charging Specials, or Special Spiral for spamming Specials. In terms of damage output, I think Wrath is stronger over Lull Spd/Def unless the enemy is running max buffs and Guard or something. Special Spiral is better if you are running multiple Dancers/Singers on the team, but if it is only one Dancer/Singer, then I would just stick with Wrath.

For her C slot, I am not sure Ploys are the best option since moving out of enemy range is much higher priority than lining up your Ploys. If you are going with Special Spiral, Def Smoke and Savage Blow are your best C slots to take advantage of enemies in proximity. For Lull and Wrath, Time's Pulse is better.

For her Special, if you are running Special Spiral or Lull-Time's Pulse, then I recommend Ruptured Sky as that is the best 2 cool down Special. If you are going with Wrath-Time's Pulse, running a higher cool down Special is kind of finicky since if you have a single Special charge after combat, Time's Pulse would not work and you may have to wait some time to get your Special ready again. If you are super confident, you can go with Dragon Fang, if you are less confident, then go with Luna.

29 minutes ago, XRay said:

Your current progress is pretty close to being ideal.

Her Special is a little complicated, and it ties with the rest of her skills, so I will talk about that last.

In my opinion, any A skill that boosts Atk/Spd is better than Heavy Blade and Flashing Blade. Blades' quicker Special charging and extra damage are both stat comparison conditional effects, so they are not exactly reliable. For Lyn in this case, I think Brazen Atk/Spd is the way to go since they provide the strongest boost and it synergizes with her Weapon really well.

For her B slot, you have several options. You can run Lull Spd/Def for even stronger regular attacks and shutting down buffs at the same time, Wrath for dealing true damage and auto charging Specials, or Special Spiral for spamming Specials. In terms of damage output, I think Wrath is stronger over Lull Spd/Def unless the enemy is running max buffs and Guard or something. Special Spiral is better if you are running multiple Dancers/Singers on the team, but if it is only one Dancer/Singer, then I would just stick with Wrath.

For her C slot, I am not sure Ploys are the best option since moving out of enemy range is much higher priority than lining up your Ploys. If you are going with Special Spiral, Def Smoke and Savage Blow are your best C slots to take advantage of enemies in proximity. For Lull and Wrath, Time's Pulse is better.

For her Special, if you are running Special Spiral or Lull-Time's Pulse, then I recommend Ruptured Sky as that is the best 2 cool down Special. If you are going with Wrath-Time's Pulse, running a higher cool down Special is kind of finicky since if you have a single Special charge after combat, Time's Pulse would not work and you may have to wait some time to get your Special ready again. If you are super confident, you can go with Dragon Fang, if you are less confident, then go with Luna.

Sounds like upgrading to Brazen Atk/Spd 4 is a go once I get a hold of Summer Wolt.

Sticking with Wrath for B - I'm mainly aiming for high damage output in both raw numbers and special damage.

Pulling for Sothis is a go - would love to pull for more Lyn merges but Sothis is coming up.

May need numbers for Ruptured Sky - specifically in how it compares to Moonbow.

On 11/19/2019 at 12:07 AM, Roflolxp54 said:

May need numbers for Ruptured Sky - specifically in how it compares to Moonbow.

Enemy Atk typically hovers around 55-70, so you're doing 11-15 damage with Ruptured Sky without even counting the bonus damage.

Enemy Def typically hovers around 25-55, so you're doing 7-16 damage with Moonbow.

Ruptured Sky is more consistent than Moonbow, but will lose out against "human" tanks. However, it makes up for this by dealing absurdly high damage to dragons and beasts.

As a quick case study of a match-up that favors Moonbow, +10 Surtr [+Def] (Sinmara, Steady Stance 4, Wary Fighter 3, Close Def 3) takes 11 damage from Ruptured Sky and 19 damage from Moonbow, but +10 Surtr [+Atk] (Sinmara, Distant Counter, Vengeful Fighter 3) takes 12 damage from Ruptured Sky and only 14 damage from Moonbow.

Personally, I'd go with Ruptured Sky for the bonus damage against dragons and beasts.

On 11/18/2019 at 4:41 PM, Roflolxp54 said:

For a Desperation nuke, you can't get better than Brazen Atk/Spd 4 (+9/10). Its stat boosts are significantly higher than anything else in the A slot, and it's only drawback of having an HP threshold is irrelevant if you have a means of taking damage for free.

For consistent damage, use either Swift Sparrow 3 (+6/7) or Life and Death 4 (+7/7). Lyn has 78 physical bulk at +10 with maximum Dragonflower investment, so lowering it to 73 with Life and Death 4 shouldn't be too much of an issue since most non-blue units still won't be able to kill her in one hit without a Special activation. Swift Sparrow 3 is obviously safer, but also makes it just a bit more difficult to enter Desperation range (a physical green enemy needs 63 Atk to drop Lyn into Desperation range if she has a +6 Def buff, but only 57 Atk if she has Life and Death 4).

If you want to run a Flashing Blade build for whatever reason (such as breaking through Special Fighter), it's optimal to use Flashing Blade 4 in the A slot and Brazen Atk/Spd 3 as the Sacred Seal for the Desperation build (total +12/7) and Swift Sparrow 3 or Life and Death 4 in the A slot and Flashing Blade 3 as the Sacred Seal for the consistent build (total +6/7 or +7/7).

However, note that you do lose a pretty big chunk of Spd for this build, so you may want to consider switching to a +Spd asset if you're going up against fast armors since you can get scarily close to failing Flashing Blade's Spd check. +10 Dark Tiki [+Spd] with Solitary Dream active and maximum Dragonflower investment has 46 Spd if she doesn't have any other skills that boost Spd active, +10 Amelia [+Spd] with no Spd buffs, Grado Poleax's effect active, and maximum Dragonflower investment has 47 Spd if she doesn't have any other skills that boost Spd active, and +10 Lyn [+Atk] with an optimal Flashing Blade build and maximum Dragonflower investment has 50 Spd without buffs. If you keep Lyn buffed and don't see Amelia often, then +Atk should probably be fine, but it's still a consideration to make.

Another reason to consider +Spd for a Flashing Blade build is if you often find enemy units with too much Spd to double naturally and cannot counterattack you back to make Sol Katti's Brash Assault effect work.

Edited by Ice Dragon

4 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Enemy Atk typically hovers around 55-70, so you're doing 11-15 damage with Ruptured Sky without even counting the bonus damage.

Enemy Def typically hovers around 25-55, so you're doing 7-16 damage with Moonbow.

Ruptured Sky is more consistent than Moonbow, but will lose out against "human" tanks. However, it makes up for this by dealing absurdly high damage to dragons and beasts.

As a quick case study of a match-up that favors Moonbow, +10 Surtr [+Def] (Sinmara, Steady Stance 4, Wary Fighter 3, Close Def 3) takes 11 damage from Ruptured Sky and 19 damage from Moonbow, but +10 Surtr [+Atk] (Sinmara, Distant Counter, Vengeful Fighter 3) takes 12 damage from Ruptured Sky and only 14 damage from Moonbow.

Personally, I'd go with Ruptured Sky for the bonus damage against dragons and beasts.

Ah, so overall, Ruptured Sky has a higher damage floor with all of the high Atk units running around while Moonbow has a slightly higher damage ceiling but greater variance.

That works out since I managed to get a hold of Byleth this morning.