Japan and Tellius

Jingle Jangle

In the Fire Emblem community, there is a saying that Japan doesn't like the Tellius games as much compared to the western world. What I want to know is why is that the reason ? Was it because of the artstyle, that didn't appeal to the Japanese fans? Was it because of Ike, that he doesn't fit the standard mold of a Fire Emblem protagonist? Or was it some other reason? I wish to find out the answer.

20 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

In the Fire Emblem community, there is a saying that Japan doesn't like the Tellius games as much compared to the western world. What I want to know is why is that the reason ? Was it because of the artstyle, that didn't appeal to the Japanese fans? Was it because of Ike, that he doesn't fit the standard mold of a Fire Emblem protagonist? Or was it some other reason? I wish to find out the answer.

Mostly because they didn't sell very well at all, even more so in Japan. 

It was to the point where a chunk of the Japanese fans of Smash thought, Ike in Smash 4 was a Sakurai re-design, not an actual update to his look via fe10.

5 minutes ago, Jedi said:

It was to the point where a chunk of the Japanese fans of Smash thought, Ike in Smash 4 was a Sakurai re-design, not an actual update to his look via fe10.

Then that's more a case of people just not knowing about the games, not disliking them.

But yes, this is the reason Tellius doesn't get much recognition there. Not enough people knew about the games. Poor Tellius...

23 minutes ago, UNLEASH IT said:

I don't know about PoR but the Japanese version of Radiant Dawn  had tons of bugs when it was released, which would've pissed off a lot of people. 

It had bugs on the American release, too.  If you tried to carry over data and had an easy file on your memory card, it crashed the game.

46 minutes ago, Jedi said:

That's the effect, not the cause. Fans didn't dislike them because they sold poorly, they sold poorly because fans (presumably) disliked them.

As for the question itself...I don't think it really is the case that Japan liked Tellius less than the west at all, or if there is it's not to a noticeable degree. Ike did win a Japan-only FE characters poll a few years ago. But I don't really know the Japanese fanbase.

13 hours ago, HeroMystic said:

Also have to keep in mind that Japan is much more into mobile gaming than home consoles. That was probably the biggest factor.

Except, the mobile gaming industry wasn't that big when PoR was released back in 2005.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

It's because they didn't sell well _at all. Blame that on poor marketing and timing, but most of the Japanese fans never got to experience them.

I've heard it's gotten better but then again in Cyl, 70% votes for the Tellius characters were from the west. (Don't quote me on this because I read it somewhere, don't know if it was accurate or not)

Another reason could be due to the game consoles, maybe they just prefer hand-helds.