FEH: Winter's Envoy Banner

Jedi

Ugh... I look at Robin and Lissa and I feel like I'm going to die of heat. Tharja has it right.

...what? It's summer down here!

That aside, I'm glad we did get the dummied-out content. I was half-expecting IS to shelve them, just because the entire internet already knew about them.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Hawk King said:

Anyone else think that there is going to be a 2nd holiday banner just like they did with Summer? This one being only 2 weeks long, and kinda early in the month makes me think so.

Yeah, it seems likely for there to be some sort of more generically winter banner when this one wraps up, probably Fates-themed.

I just checked Gamefaqs boards on FEH.  It's the #1 board on there for Android, and 80% of the threads on the first three pages are about Tharja's outfit.  Not even about her usability as a unit.  Half are self-proclaimed "pervs" that love the outfit and thoroughly enjoy the Dead Sea level of salt, and the other half think it's the worst thing IS has done.  I'm pretty sure the internet will give me cancer.

8 minutes ago, Charmeleonbrah said:

I just checked Gamefaqs boards on FEH.  It's the #1 board on there for Android, and 80% of the threads on the first three pages are about Tharja's outfit.  Not even about her usability as a unit.  Half are self-proclaimed "pervs" that love the outfit and thoroughly enjoy the Dead Sea level of salt, and the other half think it's the worst thing IS has done.  I'm pretty sure the internet will give me cancer.

Never visited gamefaqs except when I needed help in a game but god that sounds like some weird combination of /v/ and neogaf.

Edited by Hekselka

Is this the part where I'm supposed to comment on the ridiculousness of Tharja's outfit? Eh, to me, this seems perfectly in line with her character in that I could buy her putting that on in attempts to seduce Robin. I'd also say it isn't unreasonable to assume that, in universe, she had a warming hex prepared just for this occasion.

Anyways, she happens to be my most wanted from this banner due to being an armored red mage and looking like she at least be as good as ToD!Henry. The others all look great too and I wouldn't mind getting any of them, though Robin's eyes kinda look a bit off to me.

1 hour ago, omegaxis1 said:

We don't need just Awakening and Fates being the ones filling in the fanservice role.

While I don't disagree with this, we're only going to keep getting 3DS-centered seasonal banners so long as they keep making boatloads of money for IS and Nintendo. And clearly they are since they're continuing to pump them out at the rate they're going at.

1 hour ago, Charmeleonbrah said:

Yeah, the Gamefaqs message boards are very high up there in the "places on the Internet that you should stay the hell away from" list, as others here have also essentially said.

Edited by Tybrosion

5 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

Never visited gamefaqs except when I needed help in a game but god that sounds like some weird combination of /v/ and neogaf.

Pretty much.  A lot of the language is the same.  Times have changed since I stalked the RBY/GSC boards for Pokémon builds.

Just now, Frenzify said:

Guys... Gamefaqs is a "special" place best stayed away from. Especially the Fire Emblem community on it.

This part boggles me the most.  They're all frothing at the mouth about "THOTJA!!!".  Canonically she marries one person, has a child in wedlock, and there is no mention of any past sexual history in her conversations.  From that standpoint she's really the opposite of a thot.  

Because of recent English descriptions or names having issues or straight-up being dumb, @Ice Dragon, is there anything off compared to the Japanese descriptions?

Part of this really does come from stuff like refined Siegmund's unique effect being incorrect to stuff like Slaying Hammer and Slaying Spear when Slaying Axe and Slaying Lance exist as upgraded Killer Axe and Killer Lance or skills and weapons that have the same effects, but are worded differently. Inconsistency isn't a big deal, but come on. The other thing is this thread on Reddit popped up: https://www.reddit.com/r/FireEmblemHeroes/comments/7jyna0/translator_notes_boldvengeful_fighter_and_brazen/. Main point is that Bold Fighter and Vengeful Fighter's Japanese description according to the OP says that the cooldown charge +1 only works if the user unit initiates attacks. It's Reddit, I don't know what the OP's knowledge in Japanese is, and whatnot, but I want to be sure.

Edit: Misread the OP of the Reddit thread a bit.

Edited by Kaden

9 minutes ago, Charmeleonbrah said:

Pretty much.  A lot of the language is the same.  Times have changed since I stalked the RBY/GSC boards for Pokémon builds.

This part boggles me the most.  They're all frothing at the mouth about "THOTJA!!!".  Canonically she marries one person, has a child in wedlock, and there is no mention of any past sexual history in her conversations.  From that standpoint she's really the opposite of a thot.  

I've never seen anything about her having Noire out of wedlock. 

6 minutes ago, Charmeleonbrah said:

Eh, the word is so overused now that it's just a meme that's lost all meaning. The only thing people consider when using it is the character's appearance, and it's annoying. Hell, I've run into so many people who think that all there is to Tharja's character is being an abusive, stalkery piece of fanservice, and refuse to acknowledge the many supports in her favour.

35 minutes ago, Kaden said:

Because of recent English descriptions or names having issues or straight-up being dumb, @Ice Dragon, is there anything off compared to the Japanese descriptions?

Part of this really does come from stuff like refined Siegmund's unique effect being incorrect to stuff like Slaying Hammer and Slaying Spear when Slaying Axe and Slaying Lance exist as upgraded Killer Axe and Killer Lance or skills and weapons that have the same effects, but are worded differently. Inconsistency isn't a big deal, but come on. The other thing is this thread on Reddit popped up: https://www.reddit.com/r/FireEmblemHeroes/comments/7jyna0/translator_notes_boldvengeful_fighter_and_brazen/. Main point is that Bold Fighter and Vengeful Fighter's Japanese description according to the OP says that the cooldown charge +1 only works if the unit initiates. It's Reddit, I don't know what the OP's knowledge in Japanese is, and whatnot, but I want to be sure.

I will agree that the skill descriptions for Bold Fighter and Vengeful Fighter in Japanese are worded that the combat initiation and HP conditions apply to all effects.

Bold Fighter is worded as "If unit initiates combat, unit is guaranteed to perform a follow-up attack and, when attacking, gains special cooldown charge +1." Vengeful Fighter uses the same style of wording.

Also, what exactly is wrong with Siegmund's unique refine skill description?

Also, since I saw this mentioned over and over in the past however-many hours, there is a difference between "cooldown count±1" and "cooldown charge±1". "Count" refers to the actual value on the gauge and "charge" refers to the amount of cooldown consumed ("charged") per action.

Edited by Ice Dragon

39 minutes ago, Charmeleonbrah said:

Some just despise the higher level of fanservice in some of the characters designs for the 3DS games, and hers is ripe for the picking. IS going with the tried and true "fanservice sells" for a gacha game, where this is typical, is just upping the salt even more.

And by calling her a thot people are just using it as a catch-all for her fanservice-y design. Since, like you said, character-wise she's not even promiscuous and is barely sexulaized in the actual game besides the beach dlc. (she's basically just an akward and socially inept goth girl who doesn't even realize she's hot) I mean she's even hunched over covering herself with a book in her Awakening portrait. People just liked her design a lot anyway, and IS ran with it to keep ramping up the fanservice.

Luckily the complaints, while plentiful on hardcore FE forums, are still a vocal minority.

I was not expecting a Christmas bikini for her at all, but I've got no complaints. Fanservice design or not, I was going to pull for her anyway.

Edited by Alkaid

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

I will agree that the skill descriptions for Bold Fighter and Vengeful Fighter in Japanese are worded that the combat initiation and HP conditions apply to all effects.

Bold Fighter is worded as "If unit initiates combat, unit is guaranteed to perform a follow-up attack and, when attacking, gains special cooldown charge +1." Vengeful Fighter uses the same style of wording.

Okay, thanks. So, it doesn't matter if the unit initiates or not for the special cooldown charge+1 to take effect like with Heavy Blade and Flashing Blade.

I also just realized that I misread it and thought the OP meant that the special cooldown charge+1 only works if the user initiates combat. Whoops, but whatever, at least that's clarified.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

Also, what exactly is wrong with Siegmund's unique refine skill description?

The original English description said that it only works on foes that can counter when that's not true since the Japanese description mentions no such thing. Okay, apparently the official website doesn't have all the news, so here's Gamepedia's page on the news section from the game itself: https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Erroneous_Weapon_Skill_Descriptions_Corrected_(News).

So yeah, that's why I'm wary about any English descriptions when not only are typos and weird and dumb name choices have occured, but also incorrect or misleading descriptions like with Siegmund and Beorc's Blessing which I didn't find misleading, but some did with how it was originally worded with "effective" which is associated with anti-movement type weapons.

Edited by Kaden

2 minutes ago, Kaden said:

since the Japanese description mentions no such thing.

Oh. No wonder I didn't notice.

3 minutes ago, Kaden said:

Okay, thanks. So, it doesn't matter if the unit initiates or not for the special cooldown charge+1 to take effect like with Heavy Blade and Flashing Blade.

I also just realized that I misread it and though the OP meant that the special cooldown charge+1 only works if the user initiates combat. Whoops, but whatever, at least that's clarified.

Yep. Heavy Blade and Flashing Blade do not care who initiates, but the effect only applies for your own attacks. Bold Fighter and Vengeful Fighter do care who initiates, and the effect only applies for your own attacks.

I think some people are taking Tharja a bit too seriously. Her title “Normal Girl” speaks for itself.

All the units but Robin (I don’t like his artist) look great to me, will definitely be going for Lissa and Tharja personally!

Edited by thanny

1 hour ago, Alkaid said:

And by calling her a thot people are just using it as a catch-all for her fanservice-y design. Since, like you said, character-wise she's not even promiscuous and is barely sexulaized in the actual game besides the beach dlc. (she's basically just an akward and socially inept goth girl who doesn't even realize she's hot) I mean she's even hunched over covering herself with a book in her Awakening portrait. People just liked her design a lot anyway, and IS ran with it to keep ramping up the fanservice.

She's the goth gf we never had.  Also I think my head is going to explode from both typing and reading the word "fanservice" (this is not a criticism of anyone btw)

Edited by Charmeleonbrah

8 hours ago, Prince Endriu said:

8% banner?

The Legendary Banner said that the next time we would be able to roll for Fjorm would be late December. Most people are assuming it's going to be another legendary banner, but it could be a 3% or 5%.

Honestly, I'm thrilled. I've been saving up for this banner so my first focus is pullling blues for Robin and greens for Chrom. I'll keep the best Lissa and skill sacrifice or merge any others and if I get a good Robin and Chrom I'll try pulling for Tharja so I can happily sacrifice her to give Robin and Chrom her B skill.

29 minutes ago, AndrewMcC00l said:

The Legendary Banner said that the next time we would be able to roll for Fjorm would be late December. Most people are assuming it's going to be another legendary banner, but it could be a 3% or 5%.

She could also just be put in the regular summoning pool.

30 minutes ago, AndrewMcC00l said:

1 minute ago, Clogon said:

She could also just be put in the regular summoning pool.

The fine print at the end of the first Legendary Heroes banner stated that Fjorm would only be available for summoning from Legendary Heroes banners and that Fjorm would next be available around the end of December.

This means that we will have a Legendary Heroes banner around the end of December, Fjorm will be on it, and Fjorm will not be added to the standard summoning pool.

Thinking about it more, Robin likely has another distinction compared to Gwendolyn and Effie, beyond Armor March. Gwendolyn and Effie are both very slow, but Robin has a Spd-boosting A skill and he's the only unit on this banner who doesn't have a B skill that helps make up for low speed. With the greater care they've been taking to give units coherent skill sets, that suggests he's probably pretty fast, at least in comparison to the other lance armors so far.

Black Knight is going to be ridiculous with either Bold Fighter or Vengeful Fighter.  Jakob will be broken with Bold Fighter/Brave Bow combo.  Effie is going to be broken with Bold Fighter, Brave Lance & Galeforce, and Amelia could run the equivalent with Brave Axe.  And Tharja gets Quick Riposte 5 (lol) with Steady Breath, more or less, as her Slot B.  It's also safe to assume they will get high BST by virtue of being armored units (and Tharja will get Ayra treatment just cuz).

Wew lad.

23 minutes ago, Charmeleonbrah said:

(and Tharja will get Ayra treatment just cuz).

Wew lad.

If the Fates children are anything to go by its not just tharja who will be getting the bst boost treatment (at least I hope we don't get another holy war banner where only some characters get a bst boost)