Doki Doki Literature Club

Alexmender

The hottest Visual Novel released by Dan Salvato (known by his great work in the Smash mod community). 

Feel free to discuss everything about the game here including but not limited to: Discussions, shitposts, memes, best girl contests, etc.

To be respectful of those who haven't played the game yet every major plot point should be marked under the spoilers tag. 

For those who wish to try it for themselves here's the link for the free version on Steam.

5a370e2eb8be9_goodenough.png.1f36614c514f0e2c8113ef659e29ee49.png

Edited by Alexmender

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for starting this thread. I sadly can't play the game myself due to both a bad computer and a not having steam, so I am instead watching the game via YouTube playthroughs. I am currently at the first "it" moment.

Also, I found this on the internet: 9EYXh2v.jpg

"It was me, Natsuki!"

I'm not playing the game myself, because I'm not exactly good with games like this... but I also really enjoy games like this despite my issues with them, so I'm watching like three playthroughs right now, haha. I've watched all of Jacksepticeye's playthrough, and I'm currently watching Sagemaster15's and the Game Grump's playthroughs because why not.

Also Natsuki is underappreciated and is best girl.

I lack a good computer and Steam, otherwise I would have played through this game multiple times. But as it stands, I had to resort to watching a playthough which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Yuri's cool, but I think the only real choice is just Monika.

I just found some sort of text generator using game assets, it's pretty fun. I'm sure it can be used to generate more than memes but still.

Just Monika

Edited by Alexmender

Jeez, the Gamegrumps are so close to "it". I am actually worried for Danny once he sees what happens. They foreshadow so many things, tho, and they probably don't even know it.

13 hours ago, KongDude said:

Thanks for making this thread so I can freely say Monika > the others.

Buffsuki would like to disagree.

Is it odd that I think Sayori is best girl?

1 hour ago, Poimagic said:

Jeez, the Gamegrumps are so close to "it". I am actually worried for Danny once he sees what happens. They foreshadow so many things, tho, and they probably don't even know it.

Buffsuki would like to disagree.

Is it odd that I think Sayori is best girl?

I think Arin knows at least something (maybe not the specifics, but definitely that a shift happens eventually), but I don't think Danny knows anything about it. He's just really, really good at making jokes that perfectly predict what's going to happen later, haha. Have you seen any playthroughs that got past where Sages is right now, or is that the farthest you've seen?

Sayori is second best girl. But Natsuki is the undisputed champion of the best girl competition, and everyone else here has incorrect opinions if they think otherwise.

7 minutes ago, DefaultBeep said:

I think Arin knows at least something (maybe not the specifics, but definitely that a shift happens eventually), but I don't think Danny knows anything about it. He's just really, really good at making jokes that perfectly predict what's going to happen later, haha. Have you seen any playthroughs that got past where Sages is right now, or is that the farthest you've seen?

Sayori is second best girl. But Natsuki is the undisputed champion of the best girl competition, and everyone else here has incorrect opinions if they think otherwise.

The part Sages is the farthest I've seen. If I ever get a better computer, I might play it for myself though.

2 minutes ago, Poimagic said:

The part Sages is the farthest I've seen. If I ever get a better computer, I might play it for myself though.

Oh my... you're in for a fun ride, haha. I won't spoil anything for you, but things only get crazier past that point, so be prepared for that. Although the voices that Sages, Comic, and Kish are doing might alleviate the craziness somewhat, which I'm personally okay with.

8 minutes ago, DefaultBeep said:

Oh my... you're in for a fun ride, haha. I won't spoil anything for you, but things only get crazier past that point, so be prepared for that. Although the voices that Sages, Comic, and Kish are doing might alleviate the craziness somewhat, which I'm personally okay with.

Oh, I sorta know what happens. I know what happens to Yuri via a title screen and it involves a rejection, but I don't know the specifics of it, and I most certainly know what Monika does. But other than that, I know nothing.

I do not have the willpower to play it myself since I know the twists, but I am in the process of watching Jesse and Dodger's playthrough of the game (which is rather old). I read up on the wiki on what happens and everything. Doki Doki Literature Club is rather interesting, and I look forward to the next possible title by Dan Salvato.

Personally I am a fan of Yuri due to her elegance and writing style, but Monika gets points too just because Monika.

Just now, SullyMcGully said:

I've never read, or watched, or readwatched a visual novel before. Is there anything I should know about this if I consider starting?

Take the warnings at the start of the game seriously. Otherwise, enjoy the ride!

I've never read, or watched, or readwatched a visual novel before. Is there anything I should know about this if I consider starting?

It's slightly suggestive at times, but for the most part you just read what is going on and make a few choices. Also, yeah, take the warnings at the beginning of the game seriously. It's not probably what you think it means (i.e. sexual) but still something you should be wary about before beginning.

A visual novel is kind of like an interactive book. You read the story and every once in a while you make a choice to alter the ending you get.

For DDLC specifically as said before take the warnings seriously, outside of that just have fun! Also I recommend leaving the game folder open while you play to get some "interesting" insight.

1 minute ago, KongDude said:

Very disappointed how many of me and everyone here who doesn't understand the true perfection of Natsuki are super wrong.

I think there was a typo in this post of yours, but don't worry, I fixed it for ya.

1 minute ago, SullyMcGully said:

I'm gonna echo what Sire said: this is a really cool and interesting game, but those warnings at the start are not just for show. The game won't really reveal itself for a while, but hang in there, and it'll suddenly kick off at a certain point. I'm personally not planning to play it for myself, because even just watching playthroughs of it has not been great with my anxiety, but if you're okay with games like this, then it's definitely worth playing through it for yourself.

Oh yeah... and keep the game folder open while you play. You'll get some cute Easter eggs if you do.

Just now, Rex Glacies said:

It's slightly suggestive at times, but for the most part you just read what is going on and make a few choices. Also, yeah, take the warnings at the beginning of the game seriously. It's not probably what you think it means (i.e. sexual) but still something you should be wary about before beginning.

Oooh Rex you don't need an accountability partner do you? Spend too much time around those anime schoolgirls and you might compromise your values...

6 minutes ago, SullyMcGully said:

Oooh Rex you don't need an accountability partner do you? Spend too much time around those anime schoolgirls and you might compromise your values...

It's not any worse than scantily clad female warriors in the army. Asides, the only real choice in this game is more the type of girl who would rather stare into your eyes for an eternity having deep philosophical discussions, not doing... things.