mampfoids Awakening Beginner Questions

mampfoid

47 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

That sounds like they found a way to make a cool thing totally lame. :-(

Ok, I'll have to wait how my second run team will look like. The game keeps throwing nice characters at me, if one doesn't perform well it's hard to keep him. 

What's wrong with Freddy? He seems pretty reliable so far. 

Yeah, I was really disappointed by that, myself. Dark Fliers are my favourite class in the series as a whole, so having them relegated to DLC and their role replaced by what I find to be the aesthetically unpleasing Malig Knight annoyed me a lot.

Fred is a Jagen, so he's inevitably going to fall behind. He can still preform with proper pair-ups and whatnot, but unless he gets heavy grinding, he'll probably end up as more of a rear guard/fifth-string tank at best as you get farther into the game. And part of Lucina way outperforming Fred does have to do with her being a kid who is acquired quite early in the game. This small subsection of kids benefits from no internal levels, which means they gain EXP at a tremendously fast rate; inherit increases to their bases from their parents, which can be huge and majorly overpowered at that point in the game if their parents have seen heavy use; two potentially high-level or highly desired skills from their parents; and full access to non-gender-restricted classes from both parents. This means Lucina is actually likely to end up outperforming her parents, never mind Fred, the crutch character.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cordelia just hit level 20 as dark Flier because I use her a lot. She does a cool combo with Archer Morgan. 

Is there a way to give Cordelia some additional development? I like her how she is, but those bows are really a pain for her. 

1 hour ago, mampfoid said:

Cordelia just hit level 20 as dark Flier because I use her a lot. She does a cool combo with Archer Morgan. 

Is there a way to give Cordelia some additional development? I like her how she is, but those bows are really a pain for her. 

Iote's Shield.  I think it's dlc but that's what would do it.

You mean more levels? Or do you mean something else? Anyways, if you want rid of the flier weakness, you need the Iote's Shield skill, which, as stated earlier, is DLC.

7 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Iote's Shield.  I think it's dlc but that's what would do it.

Ah, I didn't know it was DLC. Won't buy anything just to cover one weakness. 

7 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

You mean more levels? Or do you mean something else?

Better stats, some nice skills, whatever. I have not found out yet the best way to use Second Seals on my units. On Morgan it seems easy, but if Cordelia is more or less maxed out, that would be a little disappointing. 

If you like Cordelia as she is, Second Seal her. If she's level 20, it will let you Second Seal to Dark Flier level 1 for 19 more levels.

A trip into Hero, then back to Dark Flier, could potentially give her more survivability, since she'll learn Sol. Another option is to take a trip into Bow Knight and back because she can get Bowbreaker there (unlike Heroes, what it does is give her +50 Avoid and Hit when facing bows).

37 minutes ago, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi said:

If you like Cordelia as she is, Second Seal her. If she's level 20, it will let you Second Seal to Dark Flier level 1 for 19 more levels.

A trip into Hero, then back to Dark Flier, could potentially give her more survivability, since she'll learn Sol. Another option is to take a trip into Bow Knight and back because she can get Bowbreaker there (unlike Heroes, what it does is give her +50 Avoid and Hit when facing bows).

That sounds like a plan! Is there a cap for stat growth, or a border from where the growth considerably slows down? 

3 hours ago, mampfoid said:

That sounds like a plan! Is there a cap for stat growth, or a border from where the growth considerably slows down? 

Caps. The caps for each class and modifiers for each unit are on the main site, and you have to add the modifiers to the class caps to get each unit's specific caps (HP has no modifiers, caps out at 80 for everyone). Unless you're someone like Lon'qu or a gen 2 unit, it's unlikely for a modifier to be beyond 3 either way.

Some of the other skills that she might consider for instance are Lancefaire on Falcoknight orTomebreaker on Sorcerer but only bother if you have way too much patience or a long period of time/preparing for Apothesis as they're all at level 15, like most of the ridiculous skills are.

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

Caps. The caps for each class and modifiers for each unit are on the main site, and you have to add the modifiers to the class caps to get each unit's specific caps (HP has no modifiers, caps out at 80 for everyone). Unless you're someone like Lon'qu or a gen 2 unit, it's unlikely for a modifier to be beyond 3 either way.

Some of the other skills that she might consider for instance are Lancefaire on Falcoknight orTomebreaker on Sorcerer but only bother if you have way too much patience or a long period of time/preparing for Apothesis as they're all at level 15, like most of the ridiculous skills are.

I think you should add Robin to that list as well.  Robin gets +3/+4 caps on the asset stats e.g Caleb (my M!Robin) has a +3 mag cap hence why when he married Maribelle!Lucina their Morgan got +6 mag modifier. (Or his is +4 I'd have to check that)

Edited by TheSilentChloey
Minor edits

1 hour ago, TheSilentChloey said:

I think you should add Robin to that list as well.  Robin gets +3/+4 caps on the asset stats e.g Caleb (my M!Robin) has a +3 mag cap hence why when he married Maribelle!Lucina their Morgan got +6 mag modifier. (Or his is +4 I'd have to check that)

I wasn't remembering how broken Robin was overall. +4 to the chosen stat for modifiers purposes. That's just crazy.

I still said most of the time it wouldn't be higher than 3 either way because of that (to be fair, including Lonk. I was remembering one of his kid's stat modifiers. My mistake.). Nobody in Gen 1 barring Robin and some of the spotpass units are getting modifiers over 3 and they all tend to balance out anyway.

6 hours ago, Dayni said:

I wasn't remembering how broken Robin was overall. +4 to the chosen stat for modifiers purposes. That's just crazy.

I still said most of the time it wouldn't be higher than 3 either way because of that (to be fair, including Lonk. I was remembering one of his kid's stat modifiers. My mistake.). Nobody in Gen 1 barring Robin and some of the spotpass units are getting modifiers over 3 and they all tend to balance out anyway.

I always find it hard to remember the stat modifiers and the max stat calculator is actually pretty useful.  Here's the link @mampfoid

http://serenesforest.net/awakening/characters/maximum-stats/complete/

It's extremely helpful for Apo or main game if you want to work out final classes etc for all the characters you can get as well as Robin's max stats.

Currently I'm at chapter 18, those child characters are catching up fast. Noire is hilarious, too bad she can't get Galeforce. 

On 1/6/2018 at 3:52 PM, Dayni said:

Ok, good to know. Is there a drawback in Reclassing with the same class over and over until the stats stop growing? 

On 1/6/2018 at 3:52 PM, Dayni said:

I'm not going for the DLCs in this run, I might in the second or third. Its good to know what might be good skills for her though, Lancefaire and Tomebreaker sound good. I think for my next run I'll do some more planning in sense of Inheritance. 

On 1/7/2018 at 12:37 AM, TheSilentChloey said:

Here's the link @mampfoid

http://serenesforest.net/awakening/characters/maximum-stats/complete/

It's extremely helpful for Apo or main game if you want to work out final classes etc for all the characters you can get as well as Robin's max stats.

Thanks, I'll give it a look. Won't bother with Apothesis etc. anytime soon though. 

Just found this thread >-<

4 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Currently I'm at chapter 18, those child characters are catching up fast. Noire is hilarious, too bad she can't get Galeforce. 

Ok, good to know. Is there a drawback in Reclassing with the same class over and over until the stats stop growing? 

I'm not going for the DLCs in this run, I might in the second or third. Its good to know what might be good skills for her though, Lancefaire and Tomebreaker sound good. I think for my next run I'll do some more planning in sense of Inheritance. 

Thanks, I'll give it a look. Won't bother with Apothesis etc. anytime soon though. 

So this is just a tidbit if you do later runs but Gaius and Donnel pass down the pegasus knight line if the have a daughter (otherwise they pass down fighter, which was male only until Fates) so that's how you can get Galeforce on Noire and Nah or Kjelle (or have the avatar marry one of those three's mothers as well but that's up to you). Galeforce is typically a late game skill as well so unless you enjoy being able to solo early game maps after grinding many levels, but if you do plan on taking on Apotheosis, Galeforce is very useful. The ability to deal as much damage as possible is useful there.

One of the best runs I've seen of it was by Omegaevolution (would link but a spoiler character is in there) But basically the strategy for that was have 2 dedicated rally bots, which he used dlc Celica and dlc Katarina (I believe Celica cause she has rally strength in specific) and the dlc units function the same as spotpass units that the can become any class with gender limitations, so Rally movement (dark flier lv 5), Heart (female dlc class only), Spectrum (Grandmaster lv5), Magic or Strength (Sage and Fighter lv5 respectfully), and Speed (Falcon Knight lv5). Most units had galeforce along with a set partner who didn't have it (exception with the avatar and Spoiler, Cynthia and Owain, and Morgan and Severa) also each unit had Brave Weapons with maxed out might and the rest of the forge slots put into hit rate. Then each unit meant for fighting had limit breaker on (increases all normal stat caps by 10, dlc only). This run also took a lot of planning with pairings too. While not the secret path I've beaten Apotheosis with normal pairings and a few Obscure units, I mean who actually would use Say'ri on Apotheosis? I also used the same strategy except no rally bots.

Reclassing has no drawbacks other then resetting to level 1 but with the same stats, if the same class however, if you second seal Cordelia to say Bow Knight she would some stat balancing happen but be a level one bow knight.

12 minutes ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

So this is just a tidbit if you do later runs but Gaius and Donnel pass down the pegasus knight line if the have a daughter (otherwise they pass down fighter, which was male only until Fates) so that's how you can get Galeforce on Noire and Nah or Kjelle (or have the avatar marry one of those three's mothers as well but that's up to you). Galeforce is typically a late game skill as well so unless you enjoy being able to solo early game maps after grinding many levels, but if you do plan on taking on Apotheosis, Galeforce is very useful. The ability to deal as much damage as possible is useful there.

Wow, Donnel passes down Galeforce (or at least Dark Flier class)? That's certainly a thing to remember for my next run, thanks! Since I killed all Risen I could find and was running Cordelia all the time, she got that skill pretty fast. 

Awakening is my first FE (besides Heroes), I won't do hardcore DLCs anytime soon. Before I'll try Fates and Echoes. Does Apotheosis add something worthwhile story-wise? 

31 minutes ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

Just found this thread >-<

One of the best runs I've seen of it was by Omegaevolution (would link but a spoiler character is in there) But basically the strategy for that was have 2 dedicated rally bots, which he used dlc Celica and dlc Katarina (I believe Celica cause she has rally strength in specific) and the dlc units function the same as spotpass units that the can become any class with gender limitations, so Rally movement (dark flier lv 5), Heart (female dlc class only), Spectrum (Grandmaster lv5), Magic or Strength (Sage and Fighter lv5 respectfully), and Speed (Falcon Knight lv5). Most units had galeforce along with a set partner who didn't have it (exception with the avatar and Spoiler, Cynthia and Owain, and Morgan and Severa) also each unit had Brave Weapons with maxed out might and the rest of the forge slots put into hit rate. Then each unit meant for fighting had limit breaker on (increases all normal stat caps by 10, dlc only). This run also took a lot of planning with pairings too. While not the secret path I've beaten Apotheosis with normal pairings and a few Obscure units, I mean who actually would use Say'ri on Apotheosis? I also used the same strategy except no rally bots.

Reclassing has no drawbacks other then resetting to level 1 but with the same stats, if the same class however, if you second seal Cordelia to say Bow Knight she would some stat balancing happen but be a level one bow knight.

Rally Spectrum is Grandmaster level 15 not 5.  Ignus is level 5.  The other rallies are at level 5.

14 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Wow, Donnel passes down Galeforce (or at least Dark Flier class)? That's certainly a thing to remember for my next run, thanks! Since I killed all Risen I could find and was running Cordelia all the time, she got that skill pretty fast. 

Awakening is my first FE (besides Heroes), I won't do hardcore DLCs anytime soon. Before I'll try Fates and Echoes. Does Apotheosis add something worthwhile story-wise? 

WARNING: Donnel might not be worth it as a father. . .

12 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Apotheosis is just a really hard challenge map, nothing story wise. The story add-on maps are the Future Past trilogy (can be hard but I found if you actually raise all your units stats, at least the parents, then it is actually very easy and has a great boss theme) and the Scramble maps (More interactions among characters and in some type of canon it did occur).

Also yes Donnel passes down the pegasus knight line (which includes dark flier) as well as Gaius does as well. Just remember it's female exclusive so the units who'd benefit from it are Kjelle, Nah, and Noire. Also to note, characters such as Olivia, Lissa and Maribelle can learn galeforce and pass it down to their sons as well which helps make them better.

It might be my personal preference but I'd recommend Echoes first as I'll say it occurs around the time of Marth (which you know happens before Awakening) and Fates is good, but I honestly feel not the quality of Echoes and Awakening. I have my own personal reason for this but I'll admit they should be played through at least once

Also I believe it's sold at Arena Ferox, but there's an item there called Reeking Box, you can buy that infinitely and it ill spawn risen, so if you need to train up units that's a way

Just now, TheSilentChloey said:

Rally Spectrum is Grandmaster level 15 not 5.  Ignus is level 5.  The other rallies are at level 5.

My bad, I thought it was 5 since other classes have their supportish skill learned first.

4 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

WARNING: Donnel might not be worth it as a father. . .

This is true, you probably won't get the most optimized stat spread as you will however gain a increase in luck (which is the worse stats in Fire Emblem) but you do also again gain Galeforce on daughter units and if you plan it you can transfer Donnels exclusive skill Aptitude down as well, this would make getting stat caps easier as it increases growth rates. Also Luck may not be the worse stat to excel in, in this scenario at least. As having a unit reclass to Mercenary will net them Armsthrift, which eliminates weapon use at a chance of luck x2 for the unit. This could help with preparing for Apotheosis but overall not something I'd recommend focusing on.

3 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

In sense of story or in sense of passing skills/stats to his heirs? 

His stats are not the best.  Kjelle is the only child the least affected by them.

3 minutes ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

Apotheosis is just a really hard challenge map, nothing story wise. The story add-on maps are the Future Past trilogy (can be hard but I found if you actually raise all your units stats, at least the parents, then it is actually very easy and has a great boss theme) and the Scramble maps (More interactions among characters and in some type of canon it did occur).

Also yes Donnel passes down the pegasus knight line (which includes dark flier) as well as Gaius does as well. Just remember it's female exclusive so the units who'd benefit from it are Kjelle, Nah, and Noire. Also to note, characters such as Olivia, Lissa and Maribelle can learn galeforce and pass it down to their sons as well which helps make them better.

It might be my personal preference but I'd recommend Echoes first as I'll say it occurs around the time of Marth (which you know happens before Awakening) and Fates is good, but I honestly feel not the quality of Echoes and Awakening. I have my own personal reason for this but I'll admit they should be played through at least once

Also I believe it's sold at Arena Ferox, but there's an item there called Reeking Box, you can buy that infinitely and it ill spawn risen, so if you need to train up units that's a way

My bad, I thought it was 5 since other classes have their supportish skill learned first.

This is true, you probably won't get the most optimized stat spread as you will however gain a increase in luck (which is the worse stats in Fire Emblem) but you do also again gain Galeforce on daughter units and if you plan it you can transfer Donnels exclusive skill Aptitude down as well, this would make getting stat caps easier as it increases growth rates. Also Luck may not be the worse stat to excel in, in this scenario at least. As having a unit reclass to Mercenary will net them Armsthrift, which eliminates weapon use at a chance of luck x2 for the unit. This could help with preparing for Apotheosis but overall not something I'd recommend focusing on.

Actually I'd be more likely to go for Underdog.  It's better than Aptitude by a long shot.  Also no sweat, I've had plenty of times where I've forgotten things.

6 hours ago, mampfoid said:

You miss out on levels you could be putting toward gaining other skills. However, not every skill is worth it on every character, so reclassing to a different class for the sake of having a skill that will hardly or never get used is probably the worst decision possible.

It has some contribution to a meta meme because of who the final boss of the secret route is, but that's about it (hint: you may recognize her).

47 minutes ago, TheSilentChloey said:

His stats are not the best.  Kjelle is the only child the least affected by them.

Actually I'd be more likely to go for Underdog.  It's better than Aptitude by a long shot.  Also no sweat, I've had plenty of times where I've forgotten things.

This requires keeping a very subpar unit in a terrible class for five more levels, though. Aptitude is still okay for the main story, though it's no Veteran.

29 minutes ago, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi said:

This requires keeping a very subpar unit in a terrible class for five more levels, though. Aptitude is still okay for the main story, though it's no Veteran.

True but I guess I have always needed that bit more time from him (i.e. getting the second seals to use them) plus underdog does have it's uses.

On January 8, 2018 at 10:00 AM, TheSilentChloey said:

I disagree here - Underdog's hardly worth 5 more levels in Villager.

On January 8, 2018 at 9:55 AM, mampfoid said:

In sense of story or in sense of passing skills/stats to his heirs? 

The latter. Basically, the child he's best for only winds up being a carbon copy of her mother (the aforementioned Kjelle).

On January 8, 2018 at 9:55 AM, LucarioGamer812 said:

I said this earlier, but this isn't as viable on non-Normal difficulties...

The issue is, is Galeforce on one of Noire, Kjelle, or Nah really worth ruining them??? I say it ain't.

1 minute ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I said this earlier, but this isn't as viable on non-Normal difficulties...

The issue is, is Galeforce on one of Noire, Kjelle, or Nah really worth ruining them??? I say it ain't.

Okay galeforce isn't for everyone, besides it's his first playthrough so it's his choice. I just meant it as pointing out those are the ways they can get galeforce. I mean it is Awakening so a pairing isn't going to ruin them. Apotheosis requires planning yes but it's still beatable as long as you play smart. Heck I beat it on my WIP 100% file (well not the secret route since I haven't tried that yet and to be fair my 3ds with all my awakening dlc was broken for several months) where I married Tharja and did some reclassing on units. Where else would dread fighter Chrom be? It's all up to preference.

54 minutes ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

Okay galeforce isn't for everyone, besides it's his first playthrough so it's his choice. I just meant it as pointing out those are the ways they can get galeforce. I mean it is Awakening so a pairing isn't going to ruin them. Apotheosis requires planning yes but it's still beatable as long as you play smart. Heck I beat it on my WIP 100% file (well not the secret route since I haven't tried that yet and to be fair my 3ds with all my awakening dlc was broken for several months) where I married Tharja and did some reclassing on units. Where else would dread fighter Chrom be? It's all up to preference.

Fair enough, but still, it's saying something about how good his potential as a father ISN'T when the kid he's best for only winds up marginally better than her mother in terms of modifiers (outside of Luck, that is).

On 1/8/2018 at 4:55 PM, LucarioGamer812 said:

Ok, I'm more interested in story anyway. 

Olivia, Lissa and Maribelle are benched most of the time. I'll give one or two of them more action in a second run. 

On 1/8/2018 at 4:42 PM, TheSilentChloey said:

Risen spawn often enough after solving a map, at least for hard difficulty there was not much grinding necessary until now. 

On 1/8/2018 at 5:00 PM, TheSilentChloey said:

Do they get reduced starting stats, or do they also have a lower capthan everybody else? I wouldn't mind a reclass for them. 

On 1/8/2018 at 5:51 PM, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi said:

You miss out on levels you could be putting toward gaining other skills. However, not every skill is worth it on every character, so reclassing to a different class for the sake of having a skill that will hardly or never get used is probably the worst decision possible.

On 1/8/2018 at 4:31 PM, mampfoid said:

I was considering to give Robin a Reclass to Thief/Trickster because I miss someone to open doors chests and he arrived at Level 20 Grandmaster before everybody else. 

First I startet to use Anna, because she can use also staffs, but her Supports are very limited and unlocking support Dialogs is one of the fun things of Awakening. 

10 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

10 hours ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

Well I don't want to ruin them (didn't know the Donnel-penalty was that bad), but it would be cool to always have 2-3 Galeforce units on my team. Not everybody needs that skill, but to plan a second run, all possibilities will be considered. Getting to know who passes Galeforce is a great help. Before starting a second run, I'll check some example builds and their inheritance path. 

As far as I understood, stat optimizing was only necessary for the harder lunatic DLCs? Until know I didn't find Hard too difficult to not play around a little with skills and classes, risking some not optimized stats/builds. 

9 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Fair enough, but still, it's saying something about how good his potential as a father ISN'T when the kid he's best for only winds up marginally better than her mother in terms of modifiers (outside of Luck, that is).

I'm only realizing now how much stronger the child characters can get. Can I use the parents in the endgame maps, or are they completely out-powered?