Twin Souls

Mackc2

Twin Souls is a novel idea I have been working on for multiple years, I have finally settled for a plot line I like and have started writing, the 4th chapter is there because I have it done however the first chapter is also done now. The feedback thread is here, feel free to leave what you think of it there but without further due. 

Chapter 1- Fight 

Spoiler

The roar of battle echoed across the lonely desert as steel clashed with steel. Eran felt a serenity, it was at times like this that Eran knew he was born to fight. His opponent thrust their spear towards his heart and Eran deflected it with a practiced ease before delivering a quick decisive jab to his opponent’s heart with his rapier. Blood gushed from the open wound, turning the sand into a gory paste. As the man fell to the ground Eran’s eyes scanned for his next victim, the corners of his view obscured by his overly large helmet.

He heard a scream behind him and turned around to see blood soak the sand as a pile of muscle slammed his hammer down. Eran stabbed at the man’s exposed back but missed when the man unexpectedly moved to the side, getting a puncture wound in his arm instead. The gorilla of a man cursed loudly as he spun around to face his attacker only to get a shield slammed into his face.  The man stumbled back with a trickle of blood coming from his nose. More cursing ensued as he swung at Eran with his hammer. Eran rolled to the side to avoid the hammer however he was caught off guard when a burst of wind dragged his feet out under him. Eran grabbed a handful of sand and threw it into the face of the man above him, gaining enough time to return to his feet.  “Oy, that hurt you little rat, get over here so I can crack your skull.” said the man his speech heavily slurred whether it was due to his broken nose or just his natural voice was unknown to Eran.   

Eran slammed his buckler to the ground and began an incarnation as the man charged towards in an animalistic rage. Just before the hammer hit, Eran finished his mumbling which caused a pile of stone to appear around Eran’s feet and lifted him above the attack. The hammer smashed into the stone causing the attacker to lose his balance. He looked up, which was a fatal mistake as Eran leaped from his perch and stabbed through his eye. The man fell in a crumpled heap.

Eran blood rushed as another man sliced savagely at him. As he deflected the blow he felt his boots slip through the sand like mud, throwing off his balance. “Coming through.” A familiar voice yelled and Eran instinctively let himself fall as a claymore swept in an arc above his head, disembowelling his attacker. His brother, Douglas, offered him a hand up, Douglas was a lean man, slightly shorter than Eran, he had a sharp jaw and an unruly brown mop that he called hair. “Five” Douglas said as he pulled Eran up.

Eran shook blood and sand from his tunic, “Worry about it later, there are still more angry people with swords.”

Douglas raised an eyebrow, “You’re just jealous.”

“Whatever helps you sleep at night.” Eran replied, using the brief respite to scan the battlefield.

Their diversion had worked well, the wyrm knights where only just returning to the battle, however Rick, a tall man who always wore massive circular goggles stood in their way and Eran doubted any of them would live long enough to make a difference. His eyes moved closer to their target and Eran saw a grey-haired man struggling to hold his ground against a woman in full plate armour.

“Old man Tarquin.” Eran said and Douglas nodded. 

“Don’t worry pops, we’ve got this.” Douglas said as the duo moved in front of him. Tarquin harrumphed but did not get in their way.

Eran stared down their opponent, noting the symbol carved into the centre of her shield and the strangely colour of the metal handle. Douglas was not as patient choosing to charge in with a swing of his claymore, the woman ducked allowing the blade to glance along her shield, the claymore burning in his hands as it made contact, the woman followed with a quick thrust through his stomach with her own sword. Douglas stumbled back his blood dripping into the sand, he looked the woman in the eyes, his expression not one of fear or shock but a smirk. The surface of his wound froze over and his claymore shifted from a glowing red back to its normal colour. In that brief seconds Douglas had given him, he had flanked around to her right side, he blocked a desperate cut using his shield to cover his arm as he stabbed her through a slit where her breastplate met the shoulder guard. As she recoiled Douglas smashed his claymore into her breastplate. The cleaved metal had saved her from immediate death, but the armour was unable to block the sheer impact of the blow which had broken multiple of her ribs. Eran looked at the broken woman at his feet, he knew that she was beyond healing, her death would be painful and slow, yet he turned away, it was not his concern.

He heard a thud and felt blood wet his feet, he ignored it and glanced around him, he was surrounded by men and women cacked in blood, sweat and sand. Rick was the only person left fighting, the corpses of oversized winged lizards where strewn around him. Most of the riders had died with their mounts but one man had survived and caught Rick unaware, their blade hissing dangerously close to his ear. Rick shoved him back with the polearm and a gust of wind blew sand into his attacker’s eyes. Rick brought down his halberd as the man struggled to regain his sight and the fight was over as fast as it had begun.

“Starting to get rusty, are we? The Rick I know would never get caught out by some lousy knights” Eran said a with a hint of disappointment.

“Well what can we expect he’s getting old.” Douglas teased

Rick frowned at him, taking off his goggles to reveal his brown eyes, “Who do you think you're calling old?”

“I hear loss of hearing is another sign of age.” Douglas said a smirk spreading across his face

“You’re right, old timers like me need our sleep, so you can take the night watch.” Rick said.

Eran smirked at his brother’s misfortune however he saw Rick grinning sadistically at him and he immediately wiped it off his face.

“Don’t worry Eran, you get the first watch.”

Eran thought about complaining but years of experience told him it wouldn’t end well.

“Have either of you two checked that the caravan is secure?” Rick asked.

Eran gave a glance in the direction of their prize, a large wagon loaded with strangely coloured metals, Tarquin was examining the wheels which had skis attached to the bottom of them. Eran wanted to say that it looked secure enough but a glare from Rick stopped him before he could say anything, “Tarquin’s got it covered.”

“Well you two should finish what you need to do, we march as soon as we can.” He said before walking towards the caravan, his feet almost gliding on the sand.

Douglas lifted his shirt and examined the dried blood patch to the left of his stomach.

“Not too deep is it?” Eran asked, noticing that Douglas winced as he poked at it.

“I’ll live, its only a scratch.” Douglas said, pulling a small bottle and bandages from his pack.

Eran raised an eyebrow and watched him recoil as contents of the bottle seeped into the wound, spilling most of the alcoholic mixture into the sand.

Eran took the bottle from his hand and poured the contents into the wound despite Douglas squirming before wrapping the puncture tightly with a bandage. Douglas gave him wordless thanks and poured a little of his water onto his shirt to wash off the blood crusted sand.

Eran watched Tarquin and Rick piling items into the caravan. The metals in it where their goal, they had properties unlike any other, the ability to warp the world around them. Different types could manipulate different aspects of the worlds like the material his shield was made from which allowed him to expend his energy to reshape the earth around him or Douglas claymore which could absorb the energy in its surroundings.

A sudden cough from Douglas snapped him from his thoughts and he caught sight of a strange jade medallion as Rick placed it back into the wagon. “Did you see that medallion?” he whispered to Douglas, who nodded, “It doesn’t look like any matta I’ve seen.”

“It’s probably, just jewellery.” Douglas said.

Eran gave him a sideward glance while re-adjusting his helmet to allow his long black hair to flow down his back, “What would jewellery be doing in a military caravan?”

“I don’t know, maybe it belonged to a beautiful woman. Like that general.” Douglas sighed, looking absently at his blade, “Or at least she was beautiful. Such a waste.”

It wasn’t long before the caravan was packed and the mercenary troop began moving, the sun pelting down on them as they began their journey out of hostile lands.  

Chapter 4 - Treacherous Hamlet 

Spoiler

They saw the first signs of civilization since they had started their journey. It was a small village with no more than a dozen houses surrounded by patches of farmland filled with mismatches of crops. As they drew closer the unnatural quiet became apparent as they noticed the doors and windows on the houses where shut and there was not a single person in sight.
“This place is creeping me out.” Lucius said.
“It’s not quite the peaceful hamlet it appeared from a distance.” Eran replied his hand resting next to the hilt of his rapier.
“Do you think something happened here?” Douglas asked.
“The houses look to be mostly clean and the farms still seemed to be perfectly functional, whatever happened was recent may have even happened today.” Marilyn said inspecting a chair placed in front of one of the huts.
“It doesn’t concern us if something happened here or not. We should check if the inn is open otherwise we are going to have to keep moving or we won’t reach the next town until well after sundown.” Eran said.
“You think the inn would be open? I mean the town looks abandoned.” Lucius asked.
“I’ve seen a few shadows moving under the doors, it seems there a few people hiding.” Marilyn said.
“Which would suggest the able bodied have left to fight; Bandits, wolves or perhaps a stinger has wandered into this area, in which case it is better we leave now or the aftermath might be ugly for us.” Eran said.
“Hey look like the inn is open.” Lucius indicated towards a building that was significantly larger than the others with the warm glow of a fire emanating from its open door.
“Say brother aren’t you curious to see what is going on?” Donald asked.
“I know how this song and dance goes, you ask insist we just find out what the problem is and then you drag us both into fixing it no matter how menial or dangerous. Well it’s not happening.” Eran said.
“I really want to know what’s going on. I promise I won’t interfere.”
“It would be advantageous to know what dangers are about.” Marilyn said.
“Fine.” Eran said as they walked into the inn.

An old lady sat behind the bar looking out of a small window off into the distance.
“Pardon me miss.” Lucius said to no response.
Eran slammed his hand down on the bar, “Ma’am” he said and the woman jumped and turned to face him.
“You.. You lot are not from around here.”
“Correct, we want to know what happened here.” Eran said.
“Please kind sir help us, bandits they came and took our kids to the cave over yonder, all the young folk they have gone off to kill the bandits but they are just simple farmers, they are going to die if someone doesn’t do nothing.” The old lady pleaded.
“Thank you for the clarification however I have no intention of helping.” Eran said.
“Please sir, I’ll pay you.” She said holding out a small handful of coins.
Eran swatted her hand away, “You expect me to risk my neck for such a meagre amount, we are leaving.”
The old lady spat at his feet, “You are a heartless swine.”
“And where did having a heart get your countryfolk? By now most of them will be dead leaving behind grieving parents and widows at the mercy of a group of bandits. I have no intention of throwing away my life.”
The ladies face turned red “Out with you and may your soul be cursed to limbo.” She spat the last few words in his face.
“Eran they need our help, we can’t just leave this village to its fate,” Lucius said.
“Since when did you get a say, we are to deliver you to your father. It would be appreciated if you didn’t try something suicidal on the way.” Eran said.
“Where is this cave?” Douglas asked.
The woman’s eyes lit up, “Five hundred metres up the main road there is a small path off to the right, can’t miss it.”
“Douglas what are you doing?” Eran demanded.
“Sorry brother I lied.” He said as he rushed out of the inn with Lucius in tow.
Eran slammed his hand onto the counter causing a glass to slide off and smash.
“Out vermin.” The old woman yelled.
Marilyn had been standing at the door, “I take it those two left to be heroes?” She said as Eran walked past.
“Yeah we are going to have to help them.”
“Help them and not dissuade them, I see does someone secretly want to be a hero too?”
“We don’t have the time to waste in idle chatter.” He said as he took off after Douglas.
“Of course, we don’t.” Marilyn mumbled.

They followed the directions that the old lady had given until he found himself at a distance from a cliff, water cascaded down it to form a small river that ran alongside the path. Douglas and Lucius stood at the end of the path in front of a gaping chasm in the rock face.
“Oh, has my brother changed his mind?” Douglas asked.
“This is the last time I am going to cover for your idiocy.” Eran replied.
“You say that every time.”
“Only because you make it so tempting, at least wait for me.”
“Hurry up then.” Douglas said disappearing into the black abyss.
Eran followed a second later, as his eyes adjusted he saw Lucius and Douglas standing unmoving a few metres further forward. As he drew closer he felt his something wet his feet, then he saw it. Multiple corpses were strewn across cavern floor, their pitchforks and clubs soaked in their own blood.
“We were too late.” Douglas said, while Lucius looked away with a hand over his mouth.
Marilyn leaned down to examine the corpse in front of her, “There wounds concern me they are almost surgical and I highly doubt healers killed this bunch.”
The hairs on Eran’s neck stood up and he drew his rapier and then just as he heard a click he slammed his shield into the ground causing the earth to rise and form a semicircle encompassing him and his allies. Less than a second later he heard a chorus of thuds as the earthen shield was hit with a barrage of crossbow bolts.
“Everyone ready up we are under attack.” Eran yelled. The second before the shield dropped he saw Douglas brandishing his sword while Lucius squeezed his spear and Marilyn was no-where to be seen. As the shield dropped he lunged forward, he struck precisely at his opponent’s arm as they attempted to draw their knife. The man drew back clutching his arm and Eran moved his shield to redirect a blow from a flanking attacker, who Douglas then struck down before he could defend himself.
“Don’t let them whittle us down, attack them all at once.” The voice came from a man in the back of the enemies’ formation which Eran assumed must have been their leader. Only a second later there was a quick flash as Marilyn became visible for a second before she sliced the man’s throat and disappeared again.

“Stop this at once.” A voice echoed. Eran paused momentarily until he found the speaker, a white- haired man, who held his knife to the throat of a young girl. In that moment he and Douglas where surrounded by men with their crossbows trained on them. He let out a long sigh and dropped his weapons on the ground.
“What do you want?” he asked flatly.
“I know Marilyn is there if she doesn’t reappear within the next four seconds the girl is dead.” The white-haired man said as he walked towards Lucius.
“Marilyn…” Lucius said, he looked around nervously as nothing happened.
“Marilyn you owe me remember.” He said as the white-haired man approached. There was a shimmer and Marilyn appeared between the two men, content to glare at both.
“Now if you would just step back so I don’t have to smell your traitorous stench.” The white-haired man said.
“That won’t be a problem once I cut off your nose.” Marilyn replied.
“Fine then you two keep the bows trained on her, if she twitches, she dies.”
“Great just as my nose started to get itchy.”
“Now my proposition is simple, the revolutionaries son comes with me and this little girl here doesn’t die, not that you get much of a choice.” He said as he dropped the girl allowing her to run away before grabbing Lucius.

Douglas crept his hand towards his sword, suddenly there was a sharp pain in his back and he felt the flow of blood. Eran felt a bloodlust overcome him as he saw the dagger slide into his brothers back without a second of thought he dropped to the ground. As he slid his hand onto his buckler his assailants caught on, however a stone pillar crushed her against the roof before she could make a move.

As multitudes of bolts whizzed towards him a veil of rock formed around him. Erans body was shaking from the exertion but still he willed for more. The markings on his hand began to glow a luminescent green, ghostly tendrils extended from his arm and wrapped around his dying brother. Feeling a surge of energy rush over him Eran force the veil to fall, crushing any who were too slow. He moved through the survivors like a cyclone, dicing any who was unfortunate enough to get in his way, uncaring if they got a stray cut in before their demise.

The cave shook violently, and the entrance began to cave as Eran carved his way through his assailants, Marilyn surveyed the chaos and saw that the remaining assassins where retreating towards a side passage, Marilyn spotted Lucius and the white haired man and darted towards them while diffracting the light around her to once again disappear from sight. She reached the man and her daggers struck down violently like twin fangs but the man was expecting them and parried them as soon as he saw their gleam and kicked her violently in the gut. Marilyn struggled to her feet and ran as she saw the roof of the cave collapsing, the entrance to the side passage having already caved.

Eran collapsed next to his fallen brother as rocks tumbled down around them.
“Just hold on brother, hold on dammit.” Eran yelled, he struggled to reach his hand out to Douglas, “I know what I can do just believe in me.”
He focused, gathering his remaining energy into his shield, he could feel the movement in the earth the transfer of energy as the roof tumbled down piece by piece. A rock fell and all he could feel was pain, it was as if the earth itself had erupted under him, all he knew was that he could no longer feel the ground and then it all came crashing back. 

Edited by Mackc2