what u DONT want to see in FE Switch

23 minutes ago, bethany81707 said:

Lyn/Florina was probably not written romantically, but enough people interpreted is as such that it's competing for Lyn's most popular ship.

They just need to embrace that. Explicit S-Ranks probably doesn't help that- if a platonic pair can reach as high as a romantic one, the line between them is down to player preference.

Beyond the way S rank supports have been so lazy in Awakening and Fates, this is another reason I like that so many supports in the past ended on platonic notes. 

Even further than Florina/Lyn, look at Ike. It's far from a niche theory that he's gay. I'd argue that IS never intended this, and wanted to go with "the wandering hero" archetype with him, which is why he never has a set-in-stone romance. But his close relationships with men, especially Soren and Ranulf, and their ambiguous dialogues and endings, lead to the theory that Ike is gay. 

Which is neat for a group of people who had gotten spotty representation before. I mean, there was Heather? And that was it for gay characters in Fire Emblem up until that point? But with Ike, gay players were able to latch on to a character who wasn't some random dude. They were able to relate to the main character, who stops conflicts with his presence and beat a Goddess. 

If Radiant Dawn/PoR had S ranks, I can almost guarantee that Ike would have only had straight romance options. No more ambiguity that allows players to reasonably imagine Ike as a strong character that represents a small, but still significant and underrepresented group of people. 

Instead it would have been "And then Ike boned Elincia/Mia/Titania/some random chick he met that wasn't important enough to model or give a name to and lived happily ever after", which we already have a million endings of for lords. 

So yeah, I think just not doing S ranks would help a lot. 

Edited by Slumber

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Slumber said:

So yeah, I think just not doing S ranks would help a lot. 

I personally like the idea behind them, but find the jump from just being friends to proposing marriage very jarring.

So the alternative I came up with (that I'm actually using in my own Fire Emblem story/concept) was simply to make S-Supports confessions of love with no marriage attached, with characters not marrying until their endings.

Of course, such a game would ideally not have Child Units at all.

1 hour ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I personally like the idea behind them, but find the jump from just being friends to proposing marriage very jarring.

So the alternative I came up with (that I'm actually using in my own Fire Emblem story/concept) was simply to make S-Supports confessions of love with no marriage attached, with characters not marrying until their endings.

this.. also there were some units that had the same s-rank support no matter who they bond with...

I prefer if units have a limited number of supports... they can D everyone and as they climb to S the number of people are getting less ... that leads to more realistic and thoughtful dialogues... Echoes might had less support conversations but they were more meaningful than Fates

I also hate avatar/lord only support characters... Fates had 3? its makes them feel like ghost characters to me and i never use them...

I also want Sonya type of characters back... in fates and awakening only the lords mattered if i am not mistaken.. sonya had a lil involvement in the story which made her way more interesting and well round... we also had zeke and to some extend the pegasus sisters...

Also i am done with lords... i want to play an ike like character!!

Edited by Pegasus Knight

2 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Yeah, the abruptness of the jump from friendship to marriage and the homogeneous dialogue across all S ranks is what I was getting at when I said S ranks in Fates and Awakening were lazy. 

Hell, there were some S ranks that don't even jump from "friendship" to marriage. Nearly all of Beruka's S ranks involve her having 3 conversations with some guys about how her inability/reluctance to connect with people makes her good at her job. But by the 4th conversation she can fall in love with damn near every dude in the Nohr army. 

Like. What? 

And half of Maribelle's A ranks end in very similar ways to get her to go from "High-class bitch who bosses people around" to "proper lady who is just trying to better these men and being friendly to them out of nowhere" JUST so the S ranks don't feel like they literally come out of nowhere. 

Limiting S ranks to pairings that make sense would help a lot, but I think just doing what they used to do and just end at A, typically before any declaration of love and saving love revelations until AFTER the conflict of the game is over, would work better. Either way, continuing with how they are now doesn't do anything to help most of these characters feel fleshed out, which is supposed to be the whole point of support conversations. 

Edited by Slumber

4 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

One of the reasons why I love Robin and Lucina's S support. Bring her flowers and confession of love from it. Perfect. XP

7 hours ago, Slumber said:

Limiting S ranks to pairings that make sense would help a lot, but I think just doing what they used to do and just end at A, typically before any declaration of love and saving love revelations until AFTER the conflict of the game is over, would work better

And would make much more sense, since who would want a Kid during a War? I can understand if it's an accident, but the Whole Army having kids?? hello??

8 hours ago, Slumber said:

Limiting S ranks to pairings that make sense would help a lot, but I think just doing what they used to do and just end at A, typically before any declaration of love and saving love revelations until AFTER the conflict of the game is over, would work better.

Except I don't see that happening when you can have multiple A ranks...

21 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

First A Rank trips the enemy? Can choose a single partner to hit A+, which has no associated conversation but just gives an ending?

29 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

The only games that allow multiple A ranks are also the only games with S ranks. 

I guess I should clarify that by eliminating S ranks, you'd go back to a single A rank, but I figured it went without saying. 

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

The only games that allow multiple A ranks are also the only games with S ranks. 

I guess I should clarify that by eliminating S ranks, you'd go back to a single A rank, but I figured it went without saying. 

Doesn't SoV allow multiple A ranks as well?

Just now, Levant Mir Celestia said:

It also has paired endings depending on the unit's survival rather than their support rank. You can just not Support Gray and Clair and they still get hitched unless you killed one of them.

Yeah, personally not a fan of the FE6-9 style of having only 5 Supports max with only 1 A rank conversations. Always disliked those. I prefer how they have a bunch of supports in Awakening and Fates. 

I agree that I don't like the entire jump from growing close as friends to sudden marriage proposal, but we can avoid that just by having them have confessions of love. And instead of child units, we just have them be with a paired ending. We had that in the old games, no reason we can't have that now.

52 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

You are correct. But as mentioned, supports didn't actually have any impact on character endings. 

Oh dear, I don't mind if they limit S-Supports or remove them entirely, but please, PLEASE never go back to the "Only one A Support per character" system. It's incredibly outdated now, and even punishing for new players.

My ideal way for Supports would be the FE13/14 system, but limit S-Supports to 2-5 per character. S-Supports don't necessarily have to mean marriage, but could also be a a strong bond between characters (like Ike with Soren or Ranulf in FE10)

22 minutes ago, Jave said:

My ideal way for Supports would be the FE13/14 system, but limit S-Supports to 2-5 per character. S-Supports don't necessarily have to mean marriage, but could also be a a strong bond between characters (like Ike with Soren or Ranulf in FE10)

I probably wouldn't mind this. But I'd like, if there were no kids, they stuck with the A+ mechanic from Fates, and you could only get one A+ or one S rank, so that all character endings weren't just "These two fell in love and lived happily ever after". There have been interesting platonic endings in the franchise that have disappeared because of S ranks.

Edited by Slumber

36 minutes ago, Morian said:

The only feature I don't want to see again is full voice acting.

Oh my God, yes, it grinded SoV's conversations to a snail's pace since it's so static otherwise.

Cutscenes need it, and I really like the little vocal clips in combat.

Edited by Altrosa

20 minutes ago, Altrosa said:

Oh my God, yes, it grinded SoV's conversations to a snail's pace since it's so static otherwise.

You know you can skip voiced lines, right?

I really liked SoV's full VA, and I'd want to see it again, but I would be surprised to see a new FE manage to do it. SoV got away with it because of the game's smallish cast and VERY limited support system. A more modern Fire Emblem seems like it'd be a goddamn nightmare to VA.

Edited by Slumber

20 minutes ago, Altrosa said:

I third this.

Didn't necessarily have a problem with full voice acting but I prefer only having important, story-related dialogue voiced and having everything else text-only. If S-ranks are to return, I would also settle only having the S-rank conversation being voiced.

On a side note:

• The static, drawn portraits. I want them to have the 2D/3D hybrid that the 3DS Ace Attorney series has. Or something similar, at least. I think it would be a bit more fun and dynamic for the characters to have varying facial expressions and movements unique to them, which could also serve as further characterization. Plus, I like the sort of "snap" between emotions the characters have in the 3DS AA games.

7 hours ago, Morian said:

6 hours ago, Altrosa said:

6 hours ago, saisymbolic said:

I third this.

Didn't necessarily have a problem with full voice acting but I prefer only having important, story-related dialogue voiced and having everything else text-only. If S-ranks are to return, I would also settle only having the S-rank conversation being voiced.

On a side note:

• The static, drawn portraits. I want them to have the 2D/3D hybrid that the 3DS Ace Attorney series has. Or something similar, at least. I think it would be a bit more fun and dynamic for the characters to have varying facial expressions and movements unique to them, which could also serve as further characterization. Plus, I like the sort of "snap" between emotions the characters have in the 3DS AA games.

This is the first time I've seen anyone say that full VA should not return. I found full VA to be just amazing. Really added to the characters and made me love the characters even more. Even the minor ones. I hope that full VA never stops.

Don’t want linear promotions. I prefer when there’s branching promotions as I like having choices. Do away with the limited number of obtainable supports per play through like SoV but have them alter character endings.

14 hours ago, bethany81707 said:

Can choose a single partner to hit A+, which has no associated conversation but just gives an ending?

I like that. It’s a nice way to choose a character’s ending without limiting supports.

13 hours ago, Morian said:

OMG delete your account :wacko::wacko:

The full voice of echoes was amazing! the voice actors did an amazing job! Berkut, catria etc would be half the great characters they were without the voice acting!!

Edited by Pegasus Knight

29 minutes ago, saisymbolic said:

The only way I would accept full voice acting is if Berkut's VA voiced everyone in the game. 

I will not budge on this.

Berkut was nice, but he wasn't the best villainous character since he wasn't developed as well as he should have. Despite his talk, there was little action to back up his words.

3 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:
18 hours ago, bethany81707 said:

Can choose a single partner to hit A+, which has no associated conversation but just gives an ending?

I like that. It’s a nice way to choose a character’s ending without limiting supports.

Actually, it just occurred to me, but in the English version, there have been S rank conversations that did not end in romantic. Particularly Soleil. The only S rank conversations that were romantic for her were for Forrest and Corrin, while everyone else were just friends with her. 

I get this was only in the English version, but there's nothing to stop the idea of giving S rank conversations for games to also end on a platonic note.