what u DONT want to see in FE Switch

15 hours ago, Slumber said:

You know you can skip voiced lines, right?

I really liked SoV's full VA, and I'd want to see it again, but I would be surprised to see a new FE manage to do it. SoV got away with it because of the game's smallish cast and VERY limited support system. A more modern Fire Emblem seems like it'd be a goddamn nightmare to VA.

I did skip them. Every single time. Eventually I had to mute the game since cutting every other word off was obnoxious. So, no, I don't want full VO over static imagery since I'm a fast enough reader that waiting on the voiced lines turned every non animated cut-scene into a drag.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suggesting to remove full VA is the kind of thing people should be slapped about. Tradition is one thing, but I swear some of you just want the series to regress to the SNES days.

3 hours ago, saisymbolic said:

The only way I would accept full voice acting is if Berkut's VA voiced everyone in the game. 

I will not budge on this.

Berkut’s VA of all people? I mean he was good but he wasn’t THAT good.

3 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Actually, it just occurred to me, but in the English version, there have been S rank conversations that did not end in romantic. Particularly Soleil. The only S rank conversations that were romantic for her were for Forrest and Corrin, while everyone else were just friends with her. 

I get this was only in the English version, but there's nothing to stop the idea of giving S rank conversations for games to also end on a platonic note. 

I didn’t mean to imply all of them should be romantic. Yeah platonic endings coming back would be nice and at this point I’d be surprised if they didn’t.

Soleil/Avatar supports were a mistake in both versions.

1 minute ago, NegativeExponents- said:

I didn’t mean to imply all of them should be romantic. Yeah platonic endings coming back would be nice and at this point I’d be surprised if they didn’t.

Soleil/Avatar supports were a mistake in both versions.

Well, personally I'm not that big of a fan of Soleil, due to how obnoxious she is and how the writers actually think that her form of flirting is actually good. Seriously, Inigo's a way better flirt than her. 

And the Japanese version of Soleil with Corrin was just wrong, in regards to how Corrin drugged her.

51 minutes ago, Altrosa said:

I did skip them. Every single time. Eventually I had to mute the game since cutting every other word off was obnoxious. So, no, I don't want full VO over static imagery since I'm a fast enough reader that waiting on the voiced lines turned every non animated cut-scene into a drag.

I for one like the VA but I understand it’s not for everyone. They should make it an optional thing if full voice acting does come back.

18 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Well, personally I'm not that big of a fan of Soleil, due to how obnoxious she is and how the writers actually think that her form of flirting is actually good. Seriously, Inigo's a way better flirt than her. 

And the Japanese version of Soleil with Corrin was just wrong, in regards to how Corrin drugged her.

I mean as far as flirting goes, Sophia wasn’t bad but with Ophelia and Forrest she’s pretty much harassing them. The only other thing about Soleil was her convos with her mother. Those were unexpected. I’m glad Camilla has boundaries at least. S̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶i̶d̶n̶’̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶C̶o̶r̶r̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶

I mean they removed the date-rape aspect but the conversion therapy implications are still there with Corrin trying to “fix” her “issue” and that’s something they should’ve changed too.

It was really weird to have Soliel in the same game as Niles and Rhajat. Yeah, Soliel's relationships with men is a problem, but Niles and Rhajat are fine? I don't know why the writers decided to go the direction they did with that. 

Plus, it's not like Radiant Dawn didn't have Heather, an open lesbian, who addresses misconceptions about her feelings by just saying "I'm just attracted to women."

So I don't know why writing for gay/lesbian/bisexual characters was such a goddamn hurdle for Fates. 

While we're on the subject of characters and writing, I do not want another tragic villain that's as poorly done as Lyon - it clearly looked like they dropped the ball in a big way with him.

17 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

While we're on the subject of characters and writing, I do not want another tragic villain that's as poorly done as Lyon - it clearly looked like they dropped the ball in a big way with him.

... *rubs eyes* 

Whoa whoa whoa. Hold up. LYON?! You actually have criticism of him? 

... Okay, wow. What is up with this thread? First you say that Genealogy's 2nd Gen was just as bad as Fates, and now you criticize Lyon? Wow, you're a lot of firsts. And here I thought I was one of the few firsts here, since I'm one of the few that dislike Ephraim.

speaking of characters

I dont want characters who suck the dick of the lords.... fates again is a big offender of this because we had 10 lords and each had at least 2 worshipers... i mean it makes sense but in the big scope of things its boring to have characters that define themselves as meat shields of privileged people...

i also  dont want the majority of the cast looking like pokemon trainers... i mean so young and fluffy... fates had characters who looked very young (under 20)... i mean its ok to have 1-3 small characters, its an anime-ish game after all but birthright's cast looked way too young... awakening and echoes didnt had the same problem...

*its not how old u are in papers but how u look IMO... i know the villagers in echoes are supposed to be under 20 but they didnt looked like elise/sakura/hannah etc ... i guess this is due to art style...

5 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Meh. It's just one particular voice line where he screams "UNCLE!" that has me so enamored. He just sounded so devastated and broken; I wanted him to cry for me some more.

On a serious note, if the VA is good, I don't have a huge problem with full VA; I just don't personally prefer it.

Yeah, the voice cast, direction, and acting was very good in Echoes. The actual voice work wasn't the problem. I agree Berkut was amazing. My personal favorite is Forsyth.

The problem was the format of Echoes plays against some faster readers. For me, when half the top screen is a box of clean text that I'm naturally focussed on, I end up reading it and processing it faster than the actor reading it in character does. It's visual novel like, and I don't enjoy following along a reader like I feel like I'm doing here.

Basically, I love the acting, but FESwitch needs to step up scene presentation ahead of it's static, visual novel style if the VO work is to properly mesh.

ALSO GIVE DUAL AUDIO BACK. 

Edited by Altrosa

1 hour ago, Altrosa said:

The problem was the format of Echoes plays against some faster readers. For me, when half the top screen is a box of clean text that I'm naturally focussed on, I end up reading it and processing it faster than the actor reading it in character does. It's visual novel like, and I don't enjoy following along a reader like I feel like I'm doing here.

Basically, I love the acting, but FESwitch needs to step up scene presentation ahead of it's static, visual novel style if the VO work is to properly mesh.

I think an easier option would just be to compromise and have an option for no voice acting during cutscenes that follow that visual novel-thing. 90% of Fire Emblem cutscenes are text-based so just having an option to turn off voice acting for those segments (and for Supports) would be a good compromise.

Though even as a fast reader, i'd much rather have the game be fully voiced compared to Awakening and Fates' one-liner sound-bytes.

59 minutes ago, Altrosa said:

Yeah, the voice cast, direction, and acting was very good in Echoes. The actual voice work wasn't the problem. I agree Berkut was amazing. My personal favorite is Forsyth.

Then I think the more appropriate thing to ask for is a voice over toggle. Not giving up on voice overs entirely. If you want to read, rather then watch a scene, that's a reasonable request. I like to sit back and watch with auto advance, myself.

6 hours ago, Pegasus Knight said:

i also  dont want the majority of the cast looking like pokemon trainers... i mean so young and fluffy... fates had characters who looked very young (under 20)... i mean its ok to have 1-3 small characters, its an anime-ish game after all but birthright's cast looked way too young... awakening and echoes didnt had the same problem...

*its not how old u are in papers but how u look IMO... i know the villagers in echoes are supposed to be under 20 but they didnt looked like elise/sakura/hannah etc ... i guess this is due to art style...

Yeah, this was an issue I had in FE6 as well. Most of the recruitable characters in the first two hours appear to be preteens. Two of them, Chad and Lugh are fresh from an orphanage.

People say to me that children became soldiers in medieval times, which is true. But that was usually in a scenario where enslaved boys were conscripted to fight by their conquerors in order to ensure their personal safety or that of their family. That scenario never occurs in Fire Emblem since those kids clearly have a choice, and our lord clearly could have said no. We still live in a world with child soldiers and its morally reprehensible.

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Though even as a fast reader, i'd much rather have the game be fully voiced compared to Awakening and Fates' one-liner sound-bytes.

Those things are barely pleasing to those wanting voice acting, and they're just as annoying to blitz-readers as the full version.

Which crowd is actually getting appealed to with those?

7 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

... *rubs eyes* 

Whoa whoa whoa. Hold up. LYON?! You actually have criticism of him? 

... Okay, wow. What is up with this thread? First you say that Genealogy's 2nd Gen was just as bad as Fates, and now you criticize Lyon? Wow, you're a lot of firsts. And here I thought I was one of the few firsts here, since I'm one of the few that dislike Ephraim.

To be frank, I think that a lot of the plot and writing issues Sacred Stones suffers from can be traced back to either him or Eirika. Basically, the more I put Sacred Stones' story under a microscope, the more dumb I see in it. I mean, Lyon wanted to use the power of the one Sacred Stone that had the soul of mankind's greatest enemy, and Eirika saw nothing wrong with this??? Really???

Might’ve been mentioned before but if there’s a dragonstone user I hope they aren’t a loli this time around.

9 hours ago, Slumber said:

It was really weird to have Soliel in the same game as Niles and Rhajat. Yeah, Soliel's relationships with men is a problem, but Niles and Rhajat are fine? I don't know why the writers decided to go the direction they did with that. 

Plus, it's not like Radiant Dawn didn't have Heather, an open lesbian, who addresses misconceptions about her feelings by just saying "I'm just attracted to women."

So I don't know why writing for gay/lesbian/bisexual characters was such a goddamn hurdle for Fates. 

I didn’t really find Niles and Rhajat offensive or particularly bad. Rhajat was what Tharja should’ve been in Awakening and I’m assuming you’re talking about Niles being sadistic? Personally, I feel the problem would’ve been alleviated if there was two other options for each gender because the way it is the only two lgbt characters are problematic. Like Silas or Kagero being options would have probably made it better. At least Leon in SoV was well written.

About Heather, doesn’t PoR/RD have a different writer than Fates? I wouldn’t really say past, successes I guess, guarantee that future installments would do an equally good or better job.

3 hours ago, saisymbolic said:

Meh. It's just one particular voice line where he screams "UNCLE!" that has me so enamored. He just sounded so devastated and broken; I wanted him to cry for me some more.

N̶i̶l̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶?̶

10 hours ago, Jave said:

Suggesting to remove full VA is the kind of thing people should be slapped about. Tradition is one thing, but I swear some of you just want the series to regress to the SNES days.

Funny thing is, if at all IS does that, people would slap them in the face and exclaim why voice acting wasn't there to begin with.

Unless the voices are annoying to hear, I honestly can't think of reasons why VA should be removed in games. If anything, it helps to make the characters like...speak out or understand them better. 

Anyways, to those who want kids removed....just why? I mean, I get that you guys want waifu to be gone so that people can focus on what FE has always been about but FE has always had elements of waifu and fanservice from the very start of the series itself. Infact fire emblem is in itself a Simulation RPG which is suppose to be about having characters that simulate life during wars. Having a married life to fight for the war for your family is exactly what FE is simulating about. 

Are you guys saying that Bartre!Karla should not have existed because it somehow affects the strategy of FE7 or are you just not that type who doesn't like waifu. Because that conversation doesn't affect the gameplay ANYWAYS!   

Why is implementing kids a problem if its an optional mechanic to begin with? Awakening's first gen units are capable enough to beat the entire game even on harder levels. Kids were just an option to just know more about the lives of those whom you got married because that is the choice you made.  

15 hours ago, Pegasus Knight said:

OMG delete your account :wacko::wacko:

The full voice of echoes was amazing! the voice actors did an amazing job! Berkut, catria etc would be half the great characters they were without the voice acting!!

Lol.

I was a bit extremist. Just give me an option to disable the voiced lines. I was surprised that feature didn't existed in SoV.

As others have said, I read fast too. And I prefer my imagination to do the VA work.

@Harvey as for kids I think is a matter of immersion. I was so immersed in Awakening's world with the childs mechanic (omg! They inherit the father's hair color? Neat!) and other things. The things that breaked my immersion was mostly some characters (Anna, Gangrel, Walhart, Emmeryn, SpotPass, DLC, Einejhars). I couldn't care less about the Fates world because is full of wtf elements. At least, Conquest is superb, gameplay wise.

Edited by Morian

4 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

I didn’t really find Niles and Rhajat offensive or particularly bad. Rhajat was what Tharja should’ve been in Awakening and I’m assuming you’re talking about Niles being sadistic? Personally, I feel the problem would’ve been alleviated if there was two other options for each gender because the way it is the only two lgbt characters are problematic. Like Silas or Kagero being options would have probably made it better. At least Leon in SoV was well written.

About Heather, doesn’t PoR/RD have a different writer than Fates? I wouldn’t really say past, successes I guess, guarantee that future installments would do an equally good or better job.

I was comparing Soliel to Rhajat and Niles to show that there are gay/bisexual members of the army that the writers didn't feel the need to draw attention to for their sexuality. Rhajat's a creepy stalker and Niles is a horndog who can't go two sentences without making an innuendo like some dumb teenager, but neither of these traits feel like they're attributed to their sexualities. It's unfortunate that they're basically sexual deviants, but it feels like coincidence rather than something deliberate. 

Soliel's sexuality, meanwhile, is intrinsic to her character, and the writers decided to make it SO BAD that Soliel needed to be "converted" in the Japanese version(The western version isn't much better). Soliel is simply too attracted to women to even fight properly. Fucking Gatrie wasn't so weak to women that this was a problem, and half of Gatrie's character was about how voracious of a flirt he was. But the GIRL who was attracted to girls in Fates? Nah, there's gotta be something wrong with her. And we gotta drug her to fix her. 

Just a lot of... REALLY bad implications with Soliel. Even eclipsing the other bad implications of the other two gay/bisexual characters in Fates. 

And yeah, there are different writers working on the games, but you'd think after getting the concept of gay people down simply with Heather(IE there's nothing wrong with them, they are just attracted to the same sex) nearly a decade earlier in Radiant Dawn, they wouldn't fuck up THAT badly with a gay character, no matter who was writing it. 

5 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Basically, the more I put Sacred Stones' story under a microscope, the more dumb I see in it.

*coughcough* Honestly you don't need a microscope to see how dumb Sacred Stones' writing is. 

There's my potshot at SS for the day. 

Edited by Slumber

11 hours ago, Altrosa said:

ALSO GIVE DUAL AUDIO BACK. 

So why not just turn off the VAs? I'm fine with people not liking or caring for full voice acting, but there's seriously no benefit on removing it entirely.

Edited by Jave

1 hour ago, Jave said:

So why not just turn off the VAs? I'm fine with people not liking or caring for full voice acting, but there's seriously no benefit on removing it entirely.

Sure there is. All those X-bytes used for the voice files would be free for something else. Same for the money used to record and pay the actors.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Sure there is. All those X-bytes used for the voice files would be free for something else. Same for the money used to record and pay the actors.

This is a bad argument and you know it. There is zero guarantee that removing something will mean that we'll get something to compensate in return. Most of the time, deciding not to add something means just that: You get nothing.