what u DONT want to see in FE Switch

2 minutes ago, Jave said:

This is a bad argument and you know it. There is zero guarantee that removing something will mean that we'll get something to compensate in return. Most of the time, deciding not to add something means just that: You get nothing.

Doesn't change the fact it still leaves the room to be used for something else. Whether it actually is used is another altogether from there being space to use in the first place.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Slumber said:

I was comparing Soliel to Rhajat and Niles to show that there are gay/bisexual members of the army that the writers didn't feel the need to draw attention to for their sexuality. Rhajat's a creepy stalker and Niles is a horndog who can't go two sentences without making an innuendo like some dumb teenager, but neither of these traits feel like they're attributed to their sexualities. It's unfortunate that they're basically sexual deviants, but it feels like coincidence rather than something deliberate. 

Soliel's sexuality, meanwhile, is intrinsic to her character, and the writers decided to make it SO BAD that Soliel needed to be "converted" in the Japanese version(The western version isn't much better). Soliel is simply too attracted to women to even fight properly. Fucking Gatrie wasn't so weak to women that this was a problem, and half of Gatrie's character was about how voracious of a flirt he was. But the GIRL who was attracted to girls in Fates? Nah, there's gotta be something wrong with her. And we gotta drug her to fix her. 

Just a lot of... REALLY bad implications with Soliel. Even eclipsing the other bad implications of the other two gay/bisexual characters in Fates. 

And yeah, there are different writers working on the games, but you'd think after getting the concept of gay people down simply with Heather(IE there's nothing wrong with them, they are just attracted to the same sex) nearly a decade earlier in Radiant Dawn, they wouldn't fuck up THAT badly with a gay character, no matter who was writing it. 

Yeah, Niles and Rhajat being the only characters that ever got a gay relationship possibility ruins some stuff. They weren't that well written as one is just a literal carbon copy of another character, and the other is just someone that wants to make innuendos. 

But all the more reason that I was impressed by Leon's writing. There's really no denial that he's gay. And though he's head over heels for Valbar, there's a genuine reason for it, and he isn't like Faye. 

Spoiler

Least Leon gets a real ending that has him live his own life, unlike Faye who despite getting married, still stalks after Alm. 

So I won't say that IS is hopeless when it comes to writing bisexual or gay characters. 

8 hours ago, Slumber said:

*coughcough* Honestly you don't need a microscope to see how dumb Sacred Stones' writing is. 

There's my potshot at SS for the day. 

Yeah, my experience was seriously damaged before the pathways even split. The moment Ephraim uttered the words "I don't pick fights I can't win", I just... no. 

And it really doesn't help that the game caters to those words always.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Doesn't change the fact it still leaves the room to be used for something else. Whether it actually is used is another altogether from there being space to use in the first place.

Since full VA is already part of the series we have to assume that the standard has already been set. Going from a game with a full VA to the next entry on a better system with no full VA will be seen as a step down from most people, and in the end it could harm the series more than just saving some space for "something else".

This game is going to be on Switch so space is probably the least of their concerns anyway.

1 minute ago, Jave said:

Since full VA is already part of the series we have to assume that the standard has already been set. Going from a game with a full VA to the next entry on a better system with no full VA will be seen as a step down from most people, and in the end it could harm the series more than just saving some space for "something else".

This game is going to be on Switch so space is probably the least of their concerns anyway.

I would say something like VA is not a good example, since that would be among the first decisions done; not something that in the middle of development you can go, "You know what, let's not use it, and do something else". But anyway... well, that's your opinion. Mine would be that full-game VA is not really something vital for the franchise once introduced.

Or just how much was SoV harmed for not having an avatar or a Gen 2 or something of the sorts?

But you're right. For the Switch it might not be much of a space concern at all.

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Are we gonna act like budget is an issue for FE at this point? is this pre awakening time? Fire Emblem is a million seller franchise and one of Nitendo's prestigious titles right now... it can get what it wants

If echoes a side project can afford VA the main game can as well and add everything fates had... i mean...

and does anyone even know how much it costs to hire VA for a few hours of recording? or we just talk out of our butts? u all act like we want A list Hollywood actors and not just people who would beg for the job :rolleyes:

heck i know that Kirsten bell and Shara michelle gellar had voiced video games.. if companies can afford these 2 they can obviously afford a bunch of Saturday cartoon VA

Edited by Pegasus Knight

Just now, Pegasus Knight said:

Are we gonna act like budget is an issue for FE at this point? is this pre awakening time? Fire Emblem is a million seller franchise and one of Nitendo's prestigious titles right now... it can get what it wants

If echoes a side project can afford VA the main game can as well and add everything fates had... i mean...

Not to mention how Heroes has been an absolute goldmine for them.

5 minutes ago, Pegasus Knight said:

It's not really the budget. A cartridge or disk can only hold so much data. Unless you want it to be like those PS1 games that had 3 or 4 disks, then you can only have so much in the game, no matter the budget. Same goes for digital-only stuff. Only so much you want the internal storage or how much you want to invest in external storage.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It's not really the budget. A cartridge or disk can only hold so much data. Unless you want it to be like those PS1 games that had 3 or 4 disks, then you can only have so much in the game, no matter the budget.

As far as i know a switch cartridge card can be 32 gigabyte! 3DS was 8

3 minutes ago, Pegasus Knight said:

As far as i know a switch cartridge card can be 32 gigabyte! 3DS was 8

Then yeah, space should not be an issue.

Then again, I'm pretty sure there's actually not that many games that do use up all the storage space available.

3 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Yeah, Niles and Rhajat being the only characters that ever got a gay relationship possibility ruins some stuff. They weren't that well written as one is just a literal carbon copy of another character, and the other is just someone that wants to make innuendos. 

But all the more reason that I was impressed by Leon's writing. There's really no denial that he's gay. And though he's head over heels for Valbar, there's a genuine reason for it, and he isn't like Faye. 

Reveal hidden contents

Least Leon gets a real ending that has him live his own life, unlike Faye who despite getting married, still stalks after Alm. 

So I won't say that IS is hopeless when it comes to writing bisexual or gay characters. 

Yeah, my experience was seriously damaged before the pathways even split. The moment Ephraim uttered the words "I don't pick fights I can't win", I just... no. 

And it really doesn't help that the game caters to those words always.

fates could just make syllas gay/bi and be done with it.... it would be easy, believable and smart

On 21/12/2017 at 7:19 PM, John Denver Fan said:

I don't want to see the weapon triangle, the weapon triangle ruins the fun for hardcore games like me, it may of been the staple of the series. 

I don't want to see Mila's turnwheel or a version of it. I consider turning back time in a game cheating.

I don't want to see the magic triangle, yeah it may of been in Heroes only if I recall correctly. It is for the same reason of the weapon triangle, it ruins the fun for hardcore gamers.

Those 3 points you've made picked my interest. Well, the weapon triangle is definitely a staple, but if it was handled as it was in Radiant Dawn I would be fine with it! Instead of naming it Hard  mode it could be divided into something such as Casual/Classic/Ideal modes each having difficulty variations and the magic traingle could be thrown into this mix.

Mila's Turnwell can be avoided if there's another menu or it being implemented better, because when I was playing Sacred Stones I died twice because I accidentally clicked on End Turn when trying to choose another option. Some would rather use it, while others could commit those mistakes.

36 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

No more enemy turn themes, I liked how the map theme was never interruted exeption during boss fights in Fates.

Radiant Dawn also kept a consistent map theme, though interrupted by the animation theme if those were on. I don't remember if PoR did the same.

Surprisingly, Proud Fight isn't burned into my ears despite Geoffrey's Charge.

On 12/25/2017 at 3:29 AM, Harvey said:

Funny thing is, if at all IS does that, people would slap them in the face and exclaim why voice acting wasn't there to begin with.

Unless the voices are annoying to hear, I honestly can't think of reasons why VA should be removed in games. If anything, it helps to make the characters like...speak out or understand them better. 

Anyways, to those who want kids removed....just why? I mean, I get that you guys want waifu to be gone so that people can focus on what FE has always been about but FE has always had elements of waifu and fanservice from the very start of the series itself. Infact fire emblem is in itself a Simulation RPG which is suppose to be about having characters that simulate life during wars. Having a married life to fight for the war for your family is exactly what FE is simulating about. 

Are you guys saying that Bartre!Karla should not have existed because it somehow affects the strategy of FE7 or are you just not that type who doesn't like waifu. Because that conversation doesn't affect the gameplay ANYWAYS!   

Why is implementing kids a problem if its an optional mechanic to begin with? Awakening's first gen units are capable enough to beat the entire game even on harder levels. Kids were just an option to just know more about the lives of those whom you got married because that is the choice you made.  

Well, I've explained at length in another thread why I don't want child units back, and I'm not totally sure if I should just quote myself here, but the summary comes down to the facts that the mechanic makes it so simple to create a whole slew of overpowered units from how generally effortless it is to min-max their stats based on their parents, and that the entire paralogue system is just the kid recruitment. 

I like the supports and pair up mechanics, but since a gamer naturally wants to WIN, unless you want to give yourself a challenge to change your personal experience (which is something pretty exclusive to the hardcore crowd), the moment you care enough to glance at a guide, you'll immediately see who makes the best kids.

I think the current child unit system makes for massive replay value, but I'm on the side of wanting either a longer main campaign, better side stories from the paralogues, or multiple Sonya or Deen scenarios verses what we had with Odin either marrying Nyx or Elise for the best Ophelia. 

Basically, unlike with full voice acting really doing little to negatively affect dev time (it'd be a budget deal mostly, since the writing would be done and the actors would be a separate team acting mostly in their own bubble in tandem), completely removing child units WOULD free up a whole slew of dev effort for the other parts of the game.

On 25-12-2017 at 9:10 PM, Acacia Sgt said:

Then yeah, space should not be an issue.

Then again, I'm pretty sure there's actually not that many games that do use up all the storage space available.

Largest game on the Switch is Dragon Quest X on the Japanese eShop. 33 Gigabytes. Cannot be downloaded without an additional SD card.

1 hour ago, Jave said:

Largest game on the Switch is Dragon Quest X on the Japanese eShop. 33 Gigabytes. Cannot be downloaded without an additional SD card.

Nintendo's using their own type of cartridge and released under the impression all Switch owners should be able to buy the size of MicroSD cards of their choice. Apparently the Switch is set to be compatible with multi terabyte sized MicroSD's, future proofing it in a way the WiiU spectacularly failed at. Essentially, size of a game means nothing. 

Particularly if IS is good at keeping their code clean on the new game, since they may be building a new engine that could be iffy.

(Off-topic as heck but, no one really talks about what a mess expanding your hard-drive was on the WiiU, but the WiiU needs the type external harddrive that has it's own power supply. The WiiU doesn't push enough power at times to read the externals on it's own via USB, so while it would TRY to read and use the regular USB only kind, it was plagued with errors. The issue was external hard drives with their own plug in power supply were obsolete before the WiiU was available, so you'd need to dig for old, off-brands and pray.. I swear I got lucky with mine.

The Switch taking any and all MicroSD of all sizes is such a normal idea but a quality of life improvement of immense proportions from how badly the WiiU screwed it up.)

i really want to see varied/interesting maps! but nothing as absurdly long as fe4 maps, and less wide open space maps like echoes/gaiden. while i'm admittedly a fan of some of the more divisive features (avatar, s -supports) i really dont want to see children as a returning mechanic. bothered me like hell in fates. also would prefer the studio that localized echoes/awakening as opposed to treehouse. 

Does having Treehouse being the ones in charge of localization count? Echoes and Awakening were much better in this regard. I do like some 2nd gen characters but honestly I would prefer for the mechanic to take a break. It was handled so poorly in Fates. This might sound controversial and more of a pet peeve but I don't want gay/bi characters if IS can't get them right. The only two options we got in Fates aren't the type of people you would normally encounter. I liked Rhajat but why were the two options "creepy" characters? Leon was fantastically handled but that doesn't mean I trust IS. 

Edited by ChickenBits

5 minutes ago, ChickenBits said:

Does having Treehouse being the ones in charge of localization count?

Guess so. But honestly, why bother who localizes it and does it really matter who does it? I don't get why gamers can't be a bit greatful for having a game localized in English. Sure, voice acting is a matter of taste but does it hinder the overall game experience?

1 minute ago, Harvey said:

Guess so. But honestly, why bother who localizes it and does it really matter who does it? I don't get why gamers can't be a bit greatful for having a game localized in English. Sure, voice acting is a matter of taste but does it hinder the overall game experience?

I personally think it matters because why have the one who has a track record of questionable decisions when you can have the one that's alright for the most part. The best way to see this is to compare translated Japanese Fire Emblem Fates supports to their English counterpart. For example, Rhajat and Niles S support was so much better in Japanese. There were some questionable ones but Treehouse didn't really address the issues such as Soliel. I don't take issues with voice acting, only changes that weren't needed or didn't improve anything.