what u DONT want to see in FE Switch

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

Guess so. But honestly, why bother who localizes it and does it really matter who does it? I don't get why gamers can't be a bit greatful for having a game localized in English. Sure, voice acting is a matter of taste but does it hinder the overall game experience?

Because people can flatout localize things wrong. Back in the day, localizers often just rewrote a ton of stuff in games if they didn't know how to translate certain stuff to English properly. 

You have localizers who translate too literally, which leads to incredibly awkward dialogue, you have localizers who translate too loosely to keep the original meaning in tact, and you have localizers who flatout don't care. 

Look at the Fates deal. Whole lines of dialogue were rewritten, or in at least one case, removed, purely as to make jokes. It was a bad localization. The people who were fanslating If before it came to the states kept working on it after Fates came out because so many people were unsatisfied with Fates' localization. It's become a classic example of localizers fucking with a game too much

So yes, who localizes a game matters. Fans have a right to complain. People have a right to complain about how DC is handling the Justice League movies. Simply "having the Justice League on the big screen" is not good enough when everyone knows they could be doing so much better. Fire Emblem fans should not be happy if whoever localizes the game doesn't do an adequate job. We live in an age where there's really no excuse for bad localizations anymore, unless the localizers or the publishers are severely under budgeted. 

This should not be the case for Nintendo. They should have the money to hire whoever. And whoever Nintendo can afford to hire should employ people who know what they're doing. 

Edited by Slumber

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Because people can flatout localize things wrong. Back in the day, localizers often just rewrote a ton of stuff in games if they didn't know how to translate certain stuff to English properly. 

You have localizers who translate too literally, which leads to incredibly awkward dialogue, you have localizers who translate too loosely to keep the original meaning in tact, and you have localizers who flatout don't care. 

Look at the Fates deal. Whole lines of dialogue were rewritten, or in at least one case, removed, purely as to make jokes. It was a bad localization. The people who were fanslating If before it came to the states kept working on it after Fates came out because so many people were unsatisfied with Fates' localization. It's become a classic example of localizers fucking with a game too much

So yes, who localizes a game matters. Fans have a right to complain. People have a right to complain about how DC is handling the Justice League movies. Simply "having the Justice League on the big screen" is not good enough when everyone knows they could be doing so much better. Fire Emblem fans should not be happy if whoever localizes the game doesn't do an adequate job. We live in an age where there's really no excuse for bad localizations anymore, unless the localizers or the publishers are severely under budgeted. 

This should not be the case for Nintendo. They should have the money to hire whoever. And whoever Nintendo can afford to hire should employ people who know what they're doing. 

The problem with this statement is that Treehouse is partly a division from Nintendo themselves. It makes sense for them to prefer in house localizing because why on earth would Nintendo not prefer them and would instead have to pay additional cost for someone else to localize it? Treehouse has been localizing Nintendo games for years..even localizing some RPG games like Mario & Luigi or even FE7.

To simply just not use them and prefer someone else is not only disrespectful to the staff at treehouse but it is just a waste of talent and effort made to even get an in house localization. I'm going to assume that Nintendo hired third parties to localize either because Treehouse is busy localizing other games or because Nintendo out of curiosity wants to know how much they need to work on Treehouse in itself.

For the record, I'm sick and tired of people bashing at Treehouse doing bad localization and ignoring the HUGE chunk of games that were localized and are not often bashed at. Censoring content was a thing before even Treehouse showed up. But damn...can't really believe that Treehouse not localising FE Switch is something fans want to happen. Its so negligible if you ask me because I like Treehouse and I have absolutely no issues with their localization and them censoring content makes the most sense considering its NoA.

I just dont understand why we dont have the option to have the game in Japanese with subtitles.... and i am sick of cencorship of any kind... i am a grown up man i can handle it! they can give a parental option/version that censorships the game...

Edited by Pegasus Knight

24 minutes ago, Pegasus Knight said:

I just dont understand why we dont have the option to have the game in Japanese with subtitles.... and i am sick of cencorship of any kind... i am a grown up man i can handle it! they can give a parental option/version that censorships the game...

Spoken like somebody who doesn't know how much effort and money go into localizing a game... A "parental version"?? Really now???

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

11 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Spoken like somebody who doesn't know how much effort and money go into localizing a game... A "parental version"?? Really now???

so? am i not paying a good amount of money for the game? so excuse me if i want to use my hard working money to buy sth that suits me... and yes a parental version or better make a special uncensored version that can be bought only if u are 18+

i dont see why u have a problem with more choices and  freedom....

Edited by Pegasus Knight

29 minutes ago, Pegasus Knight said:

so? am i not paying a good amount of money for the game? so excuse me if i want to use my hard working money to buy sth that suits me... and yes a parental version or better make a special uncensored version that can be bought only if u are 18+

i dont see why u have a problem with more choices and  freedom....

More options is one thing, but this idealistic drivel reeks so heavily of naivete that it makes my everything hurt. I mean, for developers, it's all about money - do you honestly expect them to make an uncensored version when it means more expenses, and they might not get enough sales to make up for the cost???

9 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

More options is one thing, but this idealistic drivel reeks so heavily of naivete that it makes my everything hurt. I mean, for developers, it's all about money - do you honestly expect them to make an uncensored version when it means more expenses, and they might not get enough sales to make up for the cost???

1, i dont care what makes u hurt... i am talking about what i want and what i dont want, not what i expect or not...

2. Are u honestly telling me that an uncensored version wont sale like hot cakes? who is the naive here..

3. i dotn see how the japanese audio which is already there will cost any significant amount of money

Edited by Pegasus Knight

1 minute ago, Pegasus Knight said:

2. Are u honestly telling me that an uncensored version wont sale like hot cakes? who is the naive here..

You, for thinking it would even exist...

5 hours ago, Slumber said:

To be perfectly fair, I always felt NoA was stuck between a rock and a hard place with Fates’ localization. Prior to the Western release, I clearly remember how people were constantly complaining about  certain things and wanting them removed in the localization. We had a thread that went for dozens of pages about the Soleil character, with people hoping a lot of her convos got censored or even cut whole in the localization, to name an example. 

Eventually things got more viral, with people going on to NoA’s Twitter asking for all this stuff to be removed. Things got pretty nasty at some point, with NoA having to issue a statement that “There won’t be any face rubbing or drink poisoning in the Fates localization”. 

Then the game comes out and people start complaining about things that got censored. The same things that they wanted censored in the first place. Some people who initially complained about the fanservice were now complaining about bathing suits being gone. People started creating bot accounts on Twitter which will auto-post shitty comments on the localization every hour or so. Nintendo had to disable comments from their Youtube videos due to the extreme toxicity going on (I’m talking death threats here). 

Was Fates’ localization a bad one? Well, I wouldn’t call it bad. It was flawed, sure, like removing F!Corrin and Rhajat’s original S Support was criminal, but I don’t think it was as bad as people paint it to be. Given the attitude the fans had while waiting for the western release, I can’t say I fully blame NoA for the end result, because they were clearly on a “Damned if you do, damned if you don’t” scenario. 

14 minutes ago, Pegasus Knight said:

i dont think it will exist, this is not what we expect thread its what we would want/don't want.... take your nasty attitude elsewhere...

I had the same problem in another thread. I wasn't making a prediction, nor even stating what I wanted; I was basically just listing pros and cons if a gameplay feature returned, and Levant Mir Celestia mistook it as me saying that I want it to return and think it is guaranteed to return, and dismissed everything I said as, "wishful thinking", among other things.

Anyway; I agree that I don't want to see the same bad localization that was done in Fates. I was surprised that Nintendo Treehouse did a bad job handling the localization of Fates, since they (if it was them; someone please let me know) did such a good job handling the localization of Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. Was there a change in staff or something? 

Something I just thought of; if they have something in a game that they think might be controversial in North America, why don't they just ask North America? Now; that might sound silly at first, but why? They could craft a poll online, show images of things they think might be controversial in North America, and have the poll ask, "would this be controversial in North America" then have a comment section saying, "If so; what do you suggest for replacing/fixing it?" It's not hard, it would be listening to their customers, and they still have final say in how they localize it.

2 hours ago, Pegasus Knight said:

i dont think it will exist, this is not what we expect thread its what we would want/dotn want.... jesus take your nasty attitude elsewhere...

Well, excuuuuuuse me for being cynical on the subject! I was here back when Fates wasn't released yet, and people here were already making a big deal about skinship and calling for its removal. And there was the whole controversy over Soleil's support with the male avatar (that turned out to be born of ignorance). For another game, there's Final Fantasy 6 (granted, said game was originally released during a time when Nintendo of America was iron-fisted with regards to censorship, but this isn't relevant to what I'm about to say); the GBA version had altered the scene where you first see Celes, who was chained to a wall and beaten by Imperial soldiers because she betrayed the Gestahlian Empire. The reason? Ratings (or rather, maintaining an E rating (English) or CERO All (Japan; that's right, even the Japanese had that scene removed)). Another game that was altered in the interest of maintaining a particular rating was Dungeon Travelers 2, which got an M rating in America.

1 hour ago, Jave said:

To be perfectly fair, I always felt NoA was stuck between a rock and a hard place with Fates’ localization. Prior to the Western release, I clearly remember how people were constantly complaining about  certain things and wanting them removed in the localization. We had a thread that went for dozens of pages about the Soleil character, with people hoping a lot of her convos got censored or even cut whole in the localization, to name an example. 

Eventually things got more viral, with people going on to NoA’s Twitter asking for all this stuff to be removed. Things got pretty nasty at some point, with NoA having to issue a statement that “There won’t be any face rubbing or drink poisoning in the Fates localization”. 

Then the game comes out and people start complaining about things that got censored. The same things that they wanted censored in the first place. Some people who initially complained about the fanservice were now complaining about bathing suits being gone. People started creating bot accounts on Twitter which will auto-post shitty comments on the localization every hour or so. Nintendo had to disable comments from their Youtube videos due to the extreme toxicity going on (I’m talking death threats here). 

Was Fates’ localization a bad one? Well, I wouldn’t call it bad. It was flawed, sure, like removing F!Corrin and Rhajat’s original S Support was criminal, but I don’t think it was as bad as people paint it to be. Given the attitude the fans had while waiting for the western release, I can’t say I fully blame NoA for the end result, because they were clearly on a “Damned if you do, damned if you don’t” scenario. 

Aaaaaand this is why I'll never take the Fire Emblem fandom seriously. Hypocrites everywhere. Makes me ashamed to be among them...

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

I had the same problem in another thread. I wasn't making a prediction, nor even stating what I wanted; I was basically just listing pros and cons if a gameplay feature returned, and Levant Mir Celestia mistook it as me saying that I want it to return and think it is guaranteed to return, and dismissed everything I said as, "wishful thinking", among other things.

Anyway; I agree that I don't want to see the same bad localization that was done in Fates. I was surprised that Nintendo Treehouse did a bad job handling the localization of Fates, since they (if it was them; someone please let me know) did such a good job handling the localization of Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. Was there a change in staff or something? 

Something I just thought of; if they have something in a game that they think might be controversial in North America, why don't they just ask North America? Now; that might sound silly at first, but why? They could craft a poll online, show images of things they think might be controversial in North America, and have the poll ask, "would this be controversial in North America" then have a comment section saying, "If so; what do you suggest for replacing/fixing it?" It's not hard, it would be listening to their customers, and they still have final say in how they localize it.

Treehouse did localise path of radiance and radiant dawn. Again, the reason why Fates had this issue is because of what @Jave practically said.

As for North America thing, its not that they can't show violent content like swimsuits for example. The reason why they intend to censor it is because Nintendo has a long policy to never show any explicit content such as graphic violence etc within their games. They always make games that do not represent such content and very rarely they release a game with such content in which case, its either intentionally(Twilight Princess having blood spilt) or is a thing that kids should not see ( Paper Mario Thousand Year door has a graphic image that is censored in NA).

So its not that they don't want to listen to customers because they have an image to maintain and I honestly don't see that fading away anytime soon. Botw and Odyssey may have shirtless clothing but its not that much of graphic..

6 hours ago, Jave said:

I wasn't around for that stuff, but I'm not even talking about the censorship or the change to Soleil's support. The things that got censored were dumb and creepy, and to somebody who picks up the series for the first time, they would have painted the franchise in an incredibly negative light in a way that doesn't represent the series. Fire Emblem really struggled with its identity in Fates, and I don't think it being the "Creepy waifu petting simulator" would have done it any favors in the west.

Soleil's support was bad. And while they made an effort to make it digestible in the west, it was still pretty bad. IMO, it's a weird case of where they should have changed it even more. But it was ultimately understandable why they changed it in the west, where the drugging and the resemblance of gay conversion therapy would have struck the wrongest of nerves for a sizable chunk of people.

I'm more talking about shit like Beruka and Saizo's C rank conversation, or your example of Rhajat's S rank. Treehouse flatout changed characters for no reason(Effie's not a muscle-obsessed bodybuilder in the Japanese version), they emphasized dumb character gimmicks, seemingly because they saw that it did well for Awakening.

Then there's just shit like this, which I have no idea how anybody wrote this and though "Yeah, this looks good."

CbArvgNUAAAeY-d.png:large

The disclaimer at the top may be true, but other translations that have come out afterward have confirmed that Sophie doesn't really talk like she does in the Treehouse localization. They just thought "Let's make her cutesy and talk in borderline baby babble instead of talking like a normal person. People will love it." The same thing happens with Izana, who was turned into some weird stoner prankster.

Hell, I remember there being eyebrows raised the moment the localized names of some characters were announced. Like Beruka, which could also be tranlsated as "Velka", which is a much more western-friendly name. Instead they basically decided to just go with the Romanized translation directly from Japanese. Faye being Effie and not being Faye, which would lead to problems down the line when in the very next game, IS created a character named Effie, who had to be called Faye in the west. Same deal with calling Leon Leo, which resulted in the same goddamn problem in the next game where 8-4 had to rename a character named Leo to Leon because ???.

I'm not saying Treehouse is irredeemable or that they can't get better. I didn't think highly of 8-4's Awakening translation, since they also exaggerated character gimmicks and hamfisted memes and references into the script(The MST3K reference from Owain broke me), but I think they did a great job with SoV. I am saying, though, that people shouldn't just be complacent with inadequate localizations, and that "just being happy the games are in English at all" isn't a good excuse to let bad localizations/localization get by. This isn't the 90s. It's not just the same 3 groups of people with dubious skills in Japanese AND English translating 75% of the games coming out of Japan anymore.

Edited by Slumber

9 minutes ago, Slumber said:

alized names of some characters were announced. Like Beruka, which could also be tranlsated as "Velka", which is a much more western-friendly name. Instead they basically decided to just go with the Romanized translation directly from Japanese. Faye being Effie and not being Faye, which would lead to problems down the line when in the very next game, IS created a character named Effie, who had to be called Faye in the west. Same deal with calling Leon Leo, which resulted in the same goddamn problem in the next game where 8-4 had to rename a character named Leo to Leon because ???.

I'm not saying Treehouse is irredeemable or that they can't get better. I didn't think highly of 8-4's Awakening translation, since they also exaggerated character gimmicks and hamfisted memes and references into the script(The MST3K reference from Owain broke me), but I think they did a great job with SoV. I am saying, though, that people shouldn't just be complacent with inadequate localizations, and that "just being happy the games are in English at all" isn't a good excuse to let bad localizations/localization get by. This isn't the 90s. It's not just the same 3 groups of people with dubious skills in Japanese AND English translating 75% of the games coming out of Japan anymore.

this so fucking much! i am sick and done with arguments "it costs money" and "u should be happy u get as much" FUCK NO! i paid fucking 80 euros! to this fucking game! dont tell me that one of the biggest gaming companies in the entire world cant waste a few bucks to one of their most popular titles rn!

6 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

did such a good job handling the localization of Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn.

Well RD did have the Extended Script removed (about 5% of the game's dialogue so I've heard, SF has some of it translated), text available only on Maniac (English Hard) and maybe Japan Hard/English Normal. The two scripts exist because the developers at IS thought more casual players wouldn't be so interested in as much story and characters (WHAT?! Casuals if anything are more interested in story and characters, and only gameplay fanatics bother with higher difficulties!).

Nothing invaluable is in the Extended Script, but there are quite a few gems that get cut, like Elincia being told the soldiers she loaned Sanaki died in Micaiah's ambush and Elincia bears this sad news with the maturity of a queen. Ludveck and Elincia also said more during their talk at the end of 2-F, helping to flesh out Ludveck's ideology.

Then you get issues like the English not mentioning Lekain "died" when he was turned to stone, nullifying the Daein Blood Pact even after Ashera freed him.

And you have more ambiguous things, like if Pelleas dies, Almedha in the Japanese goes much crazier with sorrow- threatening to kill Micaiah even.

Of course there are few complete mistranslation hiccups too, like Muarim having Mist's profile in the game's library.

The English did add or positively alter a few lines. The warp powder malfunction BS of the BK in Japan was replaced in the English by "I was holding back" regarding the PoR duel with Ike. Then you have Sothe and Micaiah bring up Lekain at the end of 4-P, which they didn't do in the Japanese (but Micaiah does say she likes Sothe's promoted costume in Japan).

Overall, RD was well handled, alas it wasn't not perfectly translated however. And PoR- well I don't hear of any issues with its translation, so I guess it was spot on.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

I wasn't around for that stuff, but I'm not even talking about the censorship or the change to Soleil's support. The things that got censored were dumb and creepy, and to somebody who picks up the series for the first time, they would have painted the franchise in an incredibly negative light in a way that doesn't represent the series. Fire Emblem really struggled with its identity in Fates, and I don't think it being the "Creepy waifu petting simulator" would have done it any favors in the west.

Soleil's support was bad. And while they made an effort to make it digestible in the west, it was still pretty bad. IMO, it's a weird case of where they should have changed it even more. But it was ultimately understandable why they changed it in the west, where the drugging and the resemblance of gay conversion therapy would have struck the wrongest of nerves for a sizable chunk of people.

I'm more talking about shit like Beruka and Saizo's C rank conversation, or your example of Rhajat's S rank. Treehouse flatout changed characters for no reason(Effie's not a muscle-obsessed bodybuilder in the Japanese version), they emphasized dumb character gimmicks, seemingly because they saw that it did well for Awakening.

Then there's just shit like this, which I have no idea how anybody wrote this and though "Yeah, this looks good."

(Image)

The disclaimer at the top may be true, but other translations that have come out afterward have confirmed that Sophie doesn't really talk like she does in the Treehouse localization. They just thought "Let's make her cutesy and talk in borderline baby babble instead of talking like a normal person. People will love it." The same thing happens with Izana, who was turned into some weird stoner prankster.

Hell, I remember there being eyebrows raised the moment the localized names of some characters were announced. Like Beruka, which could also be tranlsated as "Velka", which is a much more western-friendly name. Instead they basically decided to just go with the Romanized translation directly from Japanese. Faye being Effie and not being Faye, which would lead to problems down the line when in the very next game, IS created a character named Effie, who had to be called Faye in the west. Same deal with calling Leon Leo, which resulted in the same goddamn problem in the next game where 8-4 had to rename a character named Leo to Leon because ???.

I'll admit I had forgotten about Saizo x Beruka. I agree THAT was dumb.

But as for the other stuff you mentioned... none of it really bothers me. It really doesn't. Not even the Sophie lines. I mean, I can certainly imagine people hate them, and for good reason... but I don't hate them. I guess I have a soft spot for for cute stuff like this, which is why I loved Cynthia in Awakening, and her "Pega-pony Princess" line is one of my favorite lines in the game, which isn't that different from the Sophie stuff.

Izana wasn't like he was in the original? I'll take that as a positive for the localization since I love Izana.

Let me correct you on a few things, though. Because this is exactly how these things get misinterpreted in the first place (and later snowballed causing situations like the Twitter stuff I described in my previous post):

Effie's Japanese name is Elfie, not Faye. Treehouse just changed it to a shortened version (not a big deal). Faye's Japanese name is indeed Effie, which they changed because Effie was obviously taken, but it wasn't a completely switched situation like you describe. Name changes in general lead to unfortunate situations like the Leo/Leon thing, but I don't think it's fair to hold it against the original game's localization like you seem to be doing. Tellius had plenty of name changes as well, so if a later game in the series have characters named Mia, Kieran or Astrid in the original Japanese, should that count as a point against the localization in the Tellius games?

ONLY name change in Fates that's legit dumb: Harold to Arthur. Not only was not necessary, but there's already an established Arthur in the series. It's going to suck when Tailtiu's son eventually makes it to FEH.

Finally, Beruka is a real western name (it's Greek), and has many variants among many languages (including the very popular Veruca, as you may remember from the Roald Dahl character). Considering "Velka" is the name of the Goddess of Sin, I think it's understandable why NoA didn't go with it, even with Beruka's nature as an assassin.

Bear in mind that I don't think the localization is perfect, and there are definite aspects of it that should be criticized. I also agree that people shouldn't settle for bad localizations, it's just that I really don't think that the Fates localization is the shitfest most people tend to call it.

1 hour ago, Jave said:

Effie's Japanese name is Elfie, not Faye. Treehouse just changed it to a shortened version (not a big deal). Faye's Japanese name is indeed Effie, which they changed because Effie was obviously taken, but it wasn't a completely switched situation like you describe. Name changes in general lead to unfortunate situations like the Leo/Leon thing, but I don't think it's fair to hold it against the original game's localization like you seem to be doing. Tellius had plenty of name changes as well, so if a later game in the series have characters named Mia, Kieran or Astrid in the original Japanese, should that count as a point against the localization in the Tellius games?

ONLY name change in Fates that's legit dumb: Harold to Arthur. Not only was not necessary, but there's already an established Arthur in the series. It's going to suck when Tailtiu's son eventually makes it to FEH.

Finally, Beruka is a real western name (it's Greek), and has many variants among many languages (including the very popular Veruca, as you may remember from the Roald Dahl character). Considering "Velka" is the name of the Goddess of Sin, I think it's understandable why NoA didn't go with it, even with Beruka's nature as an assassin.

Bear in mind that I don't think the localization is perfect, and there are definite aspects of it that should be criticized. I also agree that people shouldn't settle for bad localizations, it's just that I really don't think that the Fates localization is the shitfest most people tend to call it.

You're correct on Effie, I forgot that the Japanese name was indeed Elfie, which is awkward, so I can semi-understand the change.

I'm not really trying to critique Fates as a whole for dumb name changes, it was just something added onto a pile of complaints I had about the game that did impact my enjoyment of it. So for Tellius, why they changed the names of Mia, Astrid and Kieran, I can't say. Well, I can assume they changed Kieran's because "Kevin" is kind of a weird name to see in a fantastical setting.

Regardless, the point with Beruka was that they had a bunch of ways to localize it(Due to Japanese using Bs in place of Vs, and Rs in place of Ls for languages that have those sounds in their language), and they more or less picked the most awkward one. I'll concede that Beruka is a real name, so there is at least a basis to pick it, but nearly any combination of posibilities would have sounded better. Veruka(Or Veruca from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) would have sounded better, Velka would have sounded better, even Belka is a bit more natural for English speakers, even if, as far as I know, it's not actually a real name. Well, Berka might not have been the best choice, since it would have been a close homophone with "Burka".

Back to the main point(Again, the name thing was more to just show that there were some red flags for some people with the localization early on), it's great if you enjoy how Treehouse localized it. Things like Izana being the weird slang slinging stoner are Treehouse specials. In the Japanese script, he's a very informal, excitable guy, which still comes through in the localization. However, his "Chya brahs, let's go by to my room and smoke a fat doobie" style of surfer speak is not something from the original script. It's INCREDIBLY out of place in the entire history of Fire Emblem, and seeing some relatively major character talk like a sun-baked SoCal wastoid is so off-putting that I don't even know where to begin. It contributes to this complete lack of consistency with the Fates world that was already a huge problem in the core writing of the game.

So yeah, if you liked Fate's writing, cool. But I will say that, forgive me for generalizing, it seems like most Fire Emblem fans(Including outside of Serenes, which I will say is generally a bit fairer to Fates than a lot of other places I've seen) were not super jazzed about how a lot of things about the Fates localization were handled. Myself included, and it really hurt how much I managed to care about the game. It took me out far more often than it brought me in.

I don't want another Fates, because I shouldn't have to wonder "Would I have liked this game if the localizers didn't take a ton of liberties?" when I'm playing the game. Putting aside things like the waifu/husbando molesting mini-game and the Soleil situation, since those are just really extreme, I want to judge a game based off of its actual merits, especially if I don't feel like the things that WERE changed didn't positively add to the experience. My opinion of Fates is now permanently influenced(For the worse) by something that didn't actually have to do with the game. Just as I want Fire Emblem to always better itself, I want the localizers to also always be trying to do a better job.

Edited by Slumber

41 minutes ago, Slumber said:

So yeah, if you liked Fate's writing, cool. But I will say that, forgive me for generalizing, it seems like most Fire Emblem fans(Including outside of Serenes, which I will say is generally a bit fairer to Fates than a lot of other places I've seen) were not super jazzed about how a lot of things about the Fates localization were handled. Myself included, and it really hurt how much I managed to care about the game. It took me out far more often than it brought me in.

I'd actually argue the opposite, because this definitely feels like one of those situations where the complainers are a louder minority. I've met a lot of people who enjoyed playing through Fates and its localization (Including outside of Serenes), but they just, you know, don't make a big deal about it.

2 hours ago, Pegasus Knight said:

can we have a non so limited special edition this time?

As in, no censoring? If so, only disappointment awaits you, in all likelihood... Also, Awakening wound up getting censored in America and Europe, albeit for different reasons.

4 minutes ago, Jave said:

I'd actually argue the opposite, because this definitely feels like one of those situations where the complainers are a louder minority. I've met a lot of people who enjoyed playing through Fates and its localization (Including outside of Serenes), but they just, you know, don't make a big deal about it.

I don't, either. As much as I just railed on it, and I assume as much for most people, there are many more intrinsic problems Fates' has that I'd rather talk about.

But this started because I was responding to @Harvey's "People should stop complaining and take whatever translation they get" comment. That's why this was my first major string of posts ever about Fates' localization, and I don't have really any intentions of bringing it up again unless attention is brought to it.

Edited by Slumber

10 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

As in, no censoring? If so, only disappointment awaits you, in all likelihood... Also, Awakening wound up getting censored in America and Europe, albeit for different reasons.

I assuming u are the resident troll here

I am talking about the actual limited edition that was so hard to get... and before thats the point of limited... well dont make it limited... make it a special edition..

Edited by Pegasus Knight

4 hours ago, Pegasus Knight said:

I assuming u are the resident troll here

I am talking about the actual limited edition that was so hard to get... and before thats the point of limited... well dont make it limited... make it a special edition..

You know what happens when you assume...

Oh, okay then. I suppose I can see where you're coming from there. After what happened with Fates' special edition (you practically had to preorder well in advance, by which I actually mean as soon as you heard about it (assuming you found out early enough, that is); those sold out very quickly, from what I remember), I think that'd be nice.

On 12/22/2017 at 11:48 AM, omegaxis1 said:

Actually, there is a very good reason why magic costs HP to use in that game while the tomes in the other games have durability. 

Here's how Kaga had described magic way back when:

^ This shows that the durability in the magic tomes is in fact due to the tome having run out of the energy that was stored in it. And in Echoes, when one uses magic, they aren't using tomes. This is because they are actually using their own body's energy for the magic spells. Thus it consumes HP. 

Very smart when you think about it.

That's surprising depth for a game play mechanic. Now if only a much more plot relevant magic (the blood pact) had the same level of lore behind it. 

On 1/10/2018 at 3:22 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well RD did have the Extended Script removed (about 5% of the game's dialogue so I've heard, SF has some of it translated), text available only on Maniac (English Hard) and maybe Japan Hard/English Normal. The two scripts exist because the developers at IS thought more casual players wouldn't be so interested in as much story and characters (WHAT?! Casuals if anything are more interested in story and characters, and only gameplay fanatics bother with higher difficulties!).

Spoiler

Nothing invaluable is in the Extended Script, but there are quite a few gems that get cut, like Elincia being told the soldiers she loaned Sanaki died in Micaiah's ambush and Elincia bears this sad news with the maturity of a queen. Ludveck and Elincia also said more during their talk at the end of 2-F, helping to flesh out Ludveck's ideology.

Then you get issues like the English not mentioning Lekain "died" when he was turned to stone, nullifying the Daein Blood Pact even after Ashera freed him.

And you have more ambiguous things, like if Pelleas dies, Almedha in the Japanese goes much crazier with sorrow- threatening to kill Micaiah even.

Of course there are few complete mistranslation hiccups too, like Muarim having Mist's profile in the game's library.

The English did add or positively alter a few lines. The warp powder malfunction BS of the BK in Japan was replaced in the English by "I was holding back" regarding the PoR duel with Ike. Then you have Sothe and Micaiah bring up Lekain at the end of 4-P, which they didn't do in the Japanese (but Micaiah does say she likes Sothe's promoted costume in Japan).

Overall, RD was well handled, alas it wasn't not perfectly translated however. And PoR- well I don't hear of any issues with its translation, so I guess it was spot on.

Spoiler

The blood pact being nullified when Lekain dies makes no sense because it was stated you need to kill one of the signers AND rip the paper apart to end it. Though the English version still has the blood pact slowly fade away with no logic behind it and no reason why Lekain doesn't use it in part 4 against the few Daein survivors. I don't like how Elincia got the short end of the stick in the English translation. At least, the Dawn Brigade gets slightly more characterization in the English version thanks to the legendary weapons base conversations and the English version has my favourite base conversation, the Nico one in chapter 3-12.

All in all, I think both translations were hit and miss but I prefer the English version.