what u DONT want to see in FE Switch

On January 27, 2018 at 7:53 PM, EdeaCreamer said:

Second, I disliked the removal of weapon durability and the prevalence of stat debuffs in Fates, so I'd like to see that part reverted to Fire Emblem 'standard'.  I do like having certain legendary S-Rank weapons that don't worry about durability, but the basic ones should be needing regular replacements and/or repairs, and the incessant stat penalization from Fates gets old, fast.

I disagree here - I think that durability brings nothing of note to the table. I mean, it's saying something that the last game with durability (1) allowed you to get infinites of everything, and (2) had a skill that gave a chance to prevent weapon degradation... Hell, I think durability became an afterthought once Sacred Stones came along.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought of a few more:

• No Jeigans: Or at least, make them optional. Some people know how to use them efficiently, while others know how to train units without their help. Although I fit into the latter category, I wish that having this arechetype was a choice on behalf of the player instead of being forced upon them in several of the games.
  • Legendary Weapons Should Not Have Durability: So I can actually use them for more that 10 fights. I would say give them downsides to counter their strengths, to make them more situational but still useful. (Stuff like not being able to crit or double or attack on the enemy/player phrase, or having reducing one stat significantly while increasing another one. Basically, Fates system done right, but only with a select few weapons.)
  • No Child Manaketes: Mostly to have more variety, but can we please have old male and female manaketes, as well as ones that look middle-aged or in their early-mid-late 20's instead of having the majority be little girls? This could also make to their purpose for being in the war be more varied, such as ones who wished to remain neutral but were forced to fight, some who are fanatically for one side or the other, or ones that are playing both sides (which could get especially interesting considering their long lifespans). Just, no more little girls, as we have too may of them.

1 hour ago, Hawkwing said:

I thought of a few more:

• No Jeigans: Or at least, make them optional. Some people know how to use them efficiently, while others know how to train units without their help. Although I fit into the latter category, I wish that having this arechetype was a choice on behalf of the player instead of being forced upon them in several of the games.
  • Legendary Weapons Should Not Have Durability: So I can actually use them for more that 10 fights. I would say give them downsides to counter their strengths, to make them more situational but still useful. (Stuff like not being able to crit or double or attack on the enemy/player phrase, or having reducing one stat significantly while increasing another one. Basically, Fates system done right, but only with a select few weapons.)
  • No Child Manaketes: Mostly to have more variety, but can we please have old male and female manaketes, as well as ones that look middle-aged or in their early-mid-late 20's instead of having the majority be little girls? This could also make to their purpose for being in the war be more varied, such as ones who wished to remain neutral but were forced to fight, some who are fanatically for one side or the other, or ones that are playing both sides (which could get especially interesting considering their long lifespans). Just, no more little girls, as we have too may of them.
  • I personally don't see the issue with Jaigans really. They are meant to be great for early units, and will either not be useful at all late game, or still have some uses at the end. 
  • I don't think Legendaries shouldn't have downsides at all. They are legendary weapons after all. However, I think what should be done is that Legendary Weapons must be earned. If anything, depending on when they are attained, they oughta be either very useful or gamebreaking. For example, Marth's Falchion in his games. He gets it pretty much at the endgame. But it's really just a stronger Silver Sword if anything. if you ask me, Falchion should have been incredibly powerful. Or make the Shield of Seals be gamebreaking even. 
  • I am not against this really. I would not mind seeing Manaketes that are teen or young adults more often. For example, if we had a game about the First Exalt, I would want the Manakete that we get to be Nowi's parents. 

5 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:
  •  
  • I am not against this really. I would not mind seeing Manaketes that are teen or young adults more often. For example, if we had a game about the First Exalt, I would want the Manakete that we get to be Nowi's parents. 

Tiki in her angsty teenage years?

3 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:
  • I personally don't see the issue with Jaigans really. They are meant to be great for early units, and will either not be useful at all late game, or still have some uses at the end. 
  • I don't think Legendaries shouldn't have downsides at all. They are legendary weapons after all. However, I think what should be done is that Legendary Weapons must be earned. If anything, depending on when they are attained, they oughta be either very useful or gamebreaking. For example, Marth's Falchion in his games. He gets it pretty much at the endgame. But it's really just a stronger Silver Sword if anything. if you ask me, Falchion should have been incredibly powerful. Or make the Shield of Seals be gamebreaking even. 
  • It's more of a personal thing, but I know that I'm not alone in this train of thought. Usually, I never use the Jeigan except for mundane tasks such as visiting villages and trading, as I have my own units pull their own weight and earn their experience, even if they get scratched up in the process. That being said, I do understand how people get a use out of this archetype, and that they become much more vital on higher difficulties, so I don't want to remove it entirely. I think that in the early part of the game the player should have the choice whether they want to play the rest of the game with the Jeigan character they've been using up to this point, replace them with a distinctively average unit in every way, or gain a trainee character instead (without having to kill them off). It would be neat if the people who didn't choose reappeared later in the story for a cameo, such as the Jeigan retiring and becoming an ambassador/diplomat, the average unit is part of a different division in the army, and the trainee has gone on their own, unrelated adventure.
  • Admittedly, I kind of rushed this post, so I didn't go into great detail about my ideas, but the up/downsides don't have to be static "weapon can't crit" or "you can attack twice but -4 speed." They can be subtle. Chrom's Falchion, for example, is just a glorified iron sword with a bonus against dragons, but it remains useful throughout the entire game simply because it cannot break, even though it's usefulness can waver in the midgame due to it's subpar strength at that point of the game. I also agree that the later legendary weapons should be stronger than the earlier ones, though game-balancing would need to take place, of course (it would be fun if you could mess around with the later weapons in New Game+). Overall, though, I just don't want them to have durability, because then super-resourceful me won't touch these weapons until the endgame, missing out on the fun.
  • Honestly, I'd just think it'd be cool to see a being with thousands of years worth of experience actually put their savviness to use, playing all sides of the conflict to their advantage, while still having the war being a human one and without said character becoming the final boss. That, and I want to see a Manakete with a sage beard that transfers over to their dragon form, a mercenary dragon, and my Kreia expy.

4 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:
  • It's more of a personal thing, but I know that I'm not alone in this train of thought. Usually, I never use the Jeigan except for mundane tasks such as visiting villages and trading, as I have my own units pull their own weight and earn their experience, even if they get scratched up in the process. That being said, I do understand how people get a use out of this archetype, and that they become much more vital on higher difficulties, so I don't want to remove it entirely. I think that in the early part of the game the player should have the choice whether they want to play the rest of the game with the Jeigan character they've been using up to this point, replace them with a distinctively average unit in every way, or gain a trainee character instead (without having to kill them off). It would be neat if the people who didn't choose reappeared later in the story for a cameo, such as the Jeigan retiring and becoming an ambassador/diplomat, the average unit is part of a different division in the army, and the trainee has gone on their own, unrelated adventure.
  • Admittedly, I kind of rushed this post, so I didn't go into great detail about my ideas, but the up/downsides don't have to be static "weapon can't crit" or "you can attack twice but -4 speed." They can be subtle. Chrom's Falchion, for example, is just a glorified iron sword with a bonus against dragons, but it remains useful throughout the entire game simply because it cannot break, even though it's usefulness can waver in the midgame due to it's subpar strength at that point of the game. I also agree that the later legendary weapons should be stronger than the earlier ones, though game-balancing would need to take place, of course (it would be fun if you could mess around with the later weapons in New Game+). Overall, though, I just don't want them to have durability, because then super-resourceful me won't touch these weapons until the endgame, missing out on the fun.
  • Honestly, I'd just think it'd be cool to see a being with thousands of years worth of experience actually put their savviness to use, playing all sides of the conflict to their advantage, while still having the war being a human one and without said character becoming the final boss. That, and I want to see a Manakete with a sage beard that transfers over to their dragon form, a mercenary dragon, and my Kreia expy.
  • Well, it could depend. In normal difficulties, I feel that Jagens are not that necessary. But on harder difficulties, they are invaluable. It all depends on how the game is actually set up. Personally, to make more sense as to why the Jagens should be used as opposed to the other units, the enemies that we first fight should in fact be some really strong and trained fighters, who are much more skilled than the other units we have, so the seasoned pro we have will naturally be more useful. 
  • Yeah, but the case is that we really should actually earn our legendary weapons. I mean, look at how Fates treated them. You just get them handed to you. No trials or tribulations. And worse when you have cases of how Ryoma with Raijinto is just absurdly broken. Like... seriously. You can pretty much solo maps with just Ryoma in Birthright and Revelations. Also, maybe also give some Legendary Weapons some unique functions. Like they are all powerful, but while some are like Falchion and are effective to dragons, antoher is powerful against beasts, another is powerful against fliers, and another performs a thing where it can halve damage, or null damage, etc. Give more variety. 
  • We have to also remember that Manaketes not only age slowly, they mature slowly as well. Nowi is over 1000 years old, but she matures the same pace as she looks. She looks like a little girl, and her acting like a little girl is because mentally, she is a little girl. Tiki only showed her maturity in Awakening, and that's because she's now 3000 years old with the appearance of someone that's in their mid 20s.

9 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Yeah, but the case is that we really should actually earn our legendary weapons. I mean, look at how Fates treated them. You just get them handed to you. No trials or tribulations. And worse when you have cases of how Ryoma with Raijinto is just absurdly broken. Like... seriously. You can pretty much solo maps with just Ryoma in Birthright and Revelations. Also, maybe also give some Legendary Weapons some unique functions. Like they are all powerful, but while some are like Falchion and are effective to dragons, antoher is powerful against beasts, another is powerful against fliers, and another performs a thing where it can halve damage, or null damage, etc. Give more variety. 

Correction: If you get lucky over and over. Anyways, didn't Fates already take a step in giving legendary weapons unique effects?

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

12 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Correction: If you get lucky over and over. Anyways, didn't Fates already take a step in giving legendary weapons unique effects?

I think only Fujin Yumi and Brynhildr were the weapons that had unique effects. Unless you count the stat increases that Raijinto and Seigfried gave to also count. However, the Fates Legendary Weapons were bad. 

Three of the five legendaries were swords. Not even a single Legendary were actually blue colored. Brynhildr was magic, so it was colored red. Fujin Yumi was actually the most unique weapon of them all.

I honest would have preferred if we had one weapon be a legendary lance and the other a legendary axe. Or hell, make a legendary dagger. Or at the very least make it so that Camilla and Hinoka possess legendaries of their own, but NOPE. They made only guys have legendaries.

12 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

I think only Fujin Yumi and Brynhildr were the weapons that had unique effects. Unless you count the stat increases that Raijinto and Seigfried gave to also count. However, the Fates Legendary Weapons were bad. 

Three of the five legendaries were swords. Not even a single Legendary were actually blue colored. Brynhildr was magic, so it was colored red. Fujin Yumi was actually the most unique weapon of them all.

I honest would have preferred if we had one weapon be a legendary lance and the other a legendary axe. Or hell, make a legendary dagger. Or at the very least make it so that Camilla and Hinoka possess legendaries of their own, but NOPE. They made only guys have legendaries.

Well, I do consider the stat boosts to count.

I think that could be blamed on red being associated with leadership.

2 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Well, I do consider the stat boosts to count.

I think that could be blamed on red being associated with leadership.

Yeah, it would have been just fine if we had Corrin have the sword. Ryoma and Xander didn't need the sword the moment we see that they pretty much say that Corrin is the best. 

I mean, Jugdral, Elibe, and Magvel had several legendary weapons and swords were not the center of attention really.

33 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Yeah, it would have been just fine if we had Corrin have the sword. Ryoma and Xander didn't need the sword the moment we see that they pretty much say that Corrin is the best. 

I mean, Jugdral, Elibe, and Magvel had several legendary weapons and swords were not the center of attention really.

Not exactly - at the end of the day, they're still the future leaders of their respective countries.

People using the japanese spelling for Jagen really threw me off for a moment lol

Also I'm with EdeaCreamer on weapon durability. I wasn't a fan of having negative side-effects for using certain weapons and would much rather have a more powerful weapon at the cost of having less usage of it. In Fates, I never touched Silver weapons at all, or a lot of the other weapons that have crappy side-effects. What's the point in using those when you can just forge a crap ton of iron weapons and make them just as good? Having no durability removes the uniqueness of the supposedly stronger and more rare items, at least, that's what I find to be the case.

1 hour ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Not exactly - at the end of the day, they're still the future leaders of their respective countries.

See, but is that truly the need? Ephraim became king, and he's all lance. Hector was a ruler of his nation, and his legendary weapon was an axe. And there are other characters that became kings that were magic users or even bow users in Jugdral. Does it truly need to be sword users that become king? The answer is no, they don't. 

44 minutes ago, SuperIb said:

People using the japanese spelling for Jagen really threw me off for a moment lol

Also I'm with EdeaCreamer on weapon durability. I wasn't a fan of having negative side-effects for using certain weapons and would much rather have a more powerful weapon at the cost of having less usage of it. In Fates, I never touched Silver weapons at all, or a lot of the other weapons that have crappy side-effects. What's the point in using those when you can just forge a crap ton of iron weapons and make them just as good? Having no durability removes the uniqueness of the supposedly stronger and more rare items, at least, that's what I find to be the case.

Same here. Never even touched those S class weapons. I mean, screw those weapons. Why should those matter when I can forge a +7 Iron Sword? Those are so much better.

I'd say bring back weapon durability system with a few changes and as well bringing back the weapon repair option.

All weapons will get a new stat called durability and weapon uses will become a weapon's condition.

Example:

An iron sword has 5 might, 10 durability and 40 condition. For every 10 uses, the weapon is going to lose 1 might. At zero condition, it only has 1 might.

A steel sword on the other hand has 8 might, 15 durability and 45 condition. For every 15 uses, the weapon loses 1 might. At zero, it'll retain 5 might.

A silver sword is even better with 12 might, 20 durability and 60 condition. It a point of might for every 20 uses but will retain 9 might at zero condition.

In regards to forged weapons, weapon condition will affect the weapon's base stats and the weapon's forge bonus stats separately.

Example: A forged iron sword will lose 2 might after 10 uses, 1 from the base stats and 1 from the bonus stats.

In a more fleshed version of this, the system will also scale hit rate and crit rate.

When receiving an attack from an enemy with a weapon advantage over you get a critical, you will lose 5 points of condition from your current weapon. If the enemy has a weapon advantage and does a critical, you lose 15 condition.

In between chapters or if you find a weapon shop, you can restore a weapon to full condition for gold fee scaled to say: condition * durability * overall might (counting forge bonuses) * game difficulty (Easy 0.25/ Normal 0.5 / Hard 1.0 / Lunatic 2.0)

Oh yeah, this new scaling will also affect shop prices so as it won't be cheaper to buy and forge a new weapon instead.

2 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I still don't know why they never brought back the FE4 forge system. I liked that you could repair any weapon whenever you were at the base for a price.

Probably because there the legendary weapons gave crazy bonus points and after they broke, you're kind of screwed.

7 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Probably because there the legendary weapons gave crazy bonus points and after they broke, you're kind of screwed.

Doesn't explain why the system doesn't come back AFTER FE4.

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

Doesn't explain why the system doesn't come back AFTER FE4.

Well, by then, the legendary weapons didn't give you insane stat boosts. So they figured that they shouldn't bother. Probably. Now they just made legendary weapons unbreakable. Or rather, the only storywise legendary weapon. Only Falchions are unbreakable in Awakening, while the others are.

4 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:
  • Well, it could depend. In normal difficulties, I feel that Jagens are not that necessary. But on harder difficulties, they are invaluable. It all depends on how the game is actually set up. Personally, to make more sense as to why the Jagens should be used as opposed to the other units, the enemies that we first fight should in fact be some really strong and trained fighters, who are much more skilled than the other units we have, so the seasoned pro we have will naturally be more useful. 
  • Yeah, but the case is that we really should actually earn our legendary weapons. I mean, look at how Fates treated them. You just get them handed to you. No trials or tribulations. And worse when you have cases of how Ryoma with Raijinto is just absurdly broken. Like... seriously. You can pretty much solo maps with just Ryoma in Birthright and Revelations. Also, maybe also give some Legendary Weapons some unique functions. Like they are all powerful, but while some are like Falchion and are effective to dragons, antoher is powerful against beasts, another is powerful against fliers, and another performs a thing where it can halve damage, or null damage, etc. Give more variety. 
  • We have to also remember that Manaketes not only age slowly, they mature slowly as well. Nowi is over 1000 years old, but she matures the same pace as she looks. She looks like a little girl, and her acting like a little girl is because mentally, she is a little girl. Tiki only showed her maturity in Awakening, and that's because she's now 3000 years old with the appearance of someone that's in their mid 20s.
  • Well, Awakening Lunatic is called "Fredrick Emblem" for a reason! But yeah, I do know that their usefulness does depend on the difficulty, and as I said, I know how people can get a use out of this archetype. I just think that if they player knows they don't get a use out of the archetype, they could have the choice to continue the game with a different unit type.
  • Agreed that the legendary weapons should be earned, though I think the ease at which you got the legendary weapons in fates was just another of its writing problems. I also think that unlimited uses should only apply to legendary weapons too, so that the normal weapons would be gimmick free. Overall though, I just want to be able to use said legendary weapons without fear that they'll break by the end of the level. (I haven't played Fates ("yet"), but I have sworn that if I ever got Birthright, I would legitimately do a Ryoma-only run (with Corrin if he/she is forced in every level) just to see if he really is that overpowered.)
  • Perhaps, but Nowi is show to have moments of maturity and insight, she just chooses to act young so she doesn't grow cynical, depressed, and/or crazy over outliving everyone she meets.
16 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I still don't know why they never brought back the FE4 forge system. I liked that you could repair any weapon whenever you were at the base for a price.

The only reason I could think of is that you bought weapons solely from armories in the GBA games, and the developers thought that having specific areas to repair weapons would be a tedious and unwieldy process (you could just send someone to the shop to buy the weapons and then send them to the convoy. Having to drag a specific weapon to a forgery, would be more of a hassle than it's worth).

That still doesn't excuse why the mechanic hasn't reappeared in later games, though.

4 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:
  • Well, Awakening Lunatic is called "Fredrick Emblem" for a reason! But yeah, I do know that their usefulness does depend on the difficulty, and as I said, I know how people can get a use out of this archetype. I just think that if they player knows they don't get a use out of the archetype, they could have the choice to continue the game with a different unit type.
  • Agreed that the legendary weapons should be earned, though I think the ease at which you got the legendary weapons in fates was just another of its writing problems. I also think that unlimited uses should only apply to legendary weapons too, so that the normal weapons would be gimmick free. Overall though, I just want to be able to use said legendary weapons without fear that they'll break by the end of the level. (I haven't played Fates ("yet"), but I have sworn that if I ever got Birthright, I would legitimately do a Ryoma-only run (with Corrin if he/she is forced in every level) just to see if he really is that overpowered.)
  • Perhaps, but Nowi is show to have moments of maturity and insight, she just chooses to act young so she doesn't grow cynical, depressed, and/or crazy over outliving everyone she meets.
  • Well I admit that it would be rather interesting. Perhaps they should consider giving you a different kind of unit. Who knows, this might actually allow you a special kind of thing. Where if you choose to have your Jagen early, they will be strong in the beginning and make it easier to get through chapters, but not too useful at the end. But if you choose to go with a different, weaker unit, you can get the Jagen later on, and they will have much high bases that they will be very useful endgame. 
  • Oh it is, especially since we have three of the five legendaries be swords, when they could easily have been a lance, axe, or even dagger. Hell, even a stave. But nope. Had to make is so that the blue colored weapons are the most underwhelming, while the red just dominates. And poor Takumi, having the only unit legendary, but because its green, disadvantage to all the others. 
  • But that's just it. Manaketes mentally age slowly as others. They explained it as much in Morgan and Nah's conversation in Harvest Festival. Manaketes age mentally the same as they do physically. So despite how much they've seen, if they do not have the mental capacity to understand it, they won't get some of the stuff. Though in Nowi's situations... I sometimes feel she should be different, since based on what she said, she's been a slave for a very long time, and potentially have gotten raped. Look at how she dresses. She had to have grown up only knowing how to wear those types of clothing. Very dark and disturbing when you think about it.

1 minute ago, omegaxis1 said:
  • ...Though in Nowi's situations... I sometimes feel she should be different, since based on what she said, she's been a slave for a very long time, and potentially have gotten raped. Look at how she dresses. She had to have grown up only knowing how to wear those types of clothing. Very dark and disturbing when you think about it.

When I first saw her I was always suspicious that she was being treated as something even worse than just some circus animal.

1 minute ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

When I first saw her I was always suspicious that she was being treated as something even worse than just some circus animal.

Mhm. Despite how some people mock Awakening for being so kid friendly, when you start to really dissect it, or actually pay more attention to it, it has some of the darkest things in Fire Emblem history. Yes, even darker than the Holy Grail that is Genealogy.

21 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Well, by then, the legendary weapons didn't give you insane stat boosts. So they figured that they shouldn't bother. Probably. Now they just made legendary weapons unbreakable. Or rather, the only storywise legendary weapon. Only Falchions are unbreakable in Awakening, while the others are.

Even then, there are cases where you would WANT to repair hard to get or one of a kind items, like the lords' prf weapons, or early game killing edges. Mid game gives you rare Silver weapons and Brave weapons that end up sitting in the convoy once they get low on durability, or go unused completely.

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

Even then, there are cases where you would WANT to repair hard to get or one of a kind items, like the lords' prf weapons, or early game killing edges. Mid game gives you rare Silver weapons and Brave weapons that end up sitting in the convoy once they get low on durability, or go unused completely.

Do they give personal weapons nowadays?