Looking to make an FE engine in MMF2

OmegaX128

Heya. I'm OmegaX128, a rando Fire Emblem enthusiast who has had an insatiable desire to make a Fire Emblem hack/fangame, but hates romhacking with a passion. Seeing as FEXNA is probably never going to come out in a reasonable timeframe, I'm going to try and do the impossible and make an engine myself.

Of course, my word has absolutely zero weight at the moment. No pictures, no reputation aside from various dabbles here and there that most have certainly forgotten.

So I'm not going to be asking for manpower, but instead I'm taking requests. What features do you want to see in the engine?

Big or small, I want to know exactly what you want to be able to do with it once you get your hands on it. I'm going to be keeping a list of features; which ones that are implemented, which ones to implement, ect...

I'll try my best to keep this thread updated with screenshots of engine development. It's gonna be a doozy, but hopefully I can get past the working stage to bring you all a serviceable product.

Thank you for your time, have a good one. 

STATUS

To - Do

• everything :-_-:

Current Tasks (These are what I'm working on in the moment)

• Basic menu and cursor functionality, as accurate to the GBA games as possible
  • Unit functionality; movement, attacking, trading, healing, ect...
  • Weapon/Staff functionality

Time until tasks are complete: about a month

9 hours ago, CustardCream said:

Perhaps a skill engine similar to radiant dawn?

Skills are most certainly going to be included in the engine, as well as a basic framework for anyone who wants to make their own.

5 hours ago, FranRedStar said:

maybe a way for you to add more weapon and magic types? as well as a way to edit the weapon and magic triangle to more complex shapes?

The current Fire Emblem weapon types we all know and love will be preset in the engine, as well as magic. However, you will be able to add and remove weapon types at will, as well as control how they interact with one another, ala weapon/magic triangle. You can edit them however you want, for example, you could make swords effective against fire, weak to axes, also effective to swords, which are neutral to lances, ect...

Essentially the triangle is just a simple matter of how weapons interact with one another, and you can change that almost in its entirety.

Unless you're secretly some sort of top-tier coder, I'd give yourself six months minimum.  Hammering out code is one thing.  Figuring out why THAT THING IS BREAKING WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME is going to take a while.

If you can break some of the GBA hard caps (certain things do weird stuff if they're over 127), that would be great.

40 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Unless you're secretly some sort of top-tier coder, I'd give yourself six months minimum.  Hammering out code is one thing.  Figuring out why THAT THING IS BREAKING WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME is going to take a while.

Luckily, the engine I'm working with—Multimedia Fusion 2—is quite simplistic and easy to understand. I've had experience putting small games together, and working with a Mega Man engine a few years back. Maybe that was a bit of an optimistic estimate, but I'm confident enough that it won't take something like six months.

43 minutes ago, eclipse said:

If you can break some of the GBA hard caps (certain things do weird stuff if they're over 127), that would be great.

Stat caps will be as high as you want. To accommodate as well, the formulas will be editable as well to account for any scale you want your stats to operate at.

• 1 month later...