Quest to figure out how to sprite

LukerGamerz

I'm a newbie when it comes to spriting. I really want to learn, however, so I don't have to rely on lots of artists just to produce my current fan project. These are the map sprites and still battle image created for Toon Link:

5a3fcd302c0c2_MToonLink.png.81a706ab5d69632e7ce1828f1684c5cd.png

5a3fcd5298f72_BToonLink.png.76816092d8ec9b9c1abf56d2e6fe14dc.png

I really like the map sprites, but that battle sprite needs serious work. I used Eirika's map sprites and Lugh's battle sprites as bases. What do you think could be done to improve upon these?

Try starting with Splicing.

Just take parts form normal unit and put them together, cleaning up the minor bits as you go along.

It's the easiest way to learn. Once you get better, then, slowly start making custom details.

Also take note of other sprites other people made to help get new ideas. Just don't rely on other peoples work if it ain't a normal unit. They may take offence.

So, I decided to work on another battle sprite, since the only way I can really learn is through practice. I tried making Yoshi out of Amelia from Sacred Stones, and it had... interesting results.

5a44461cebfca_BYoshi(Serenes).png.681587f55385ff8c80059ea882e7e859.png

The body looks kinda nice, but that head... yuck. I had to rip the head from the Yoshi's Island Yoshi because I had NO idea what I was doing. Better than nothing, but definitely not presentable.

I clearly need to look into splicing, to help me understand how the shading works.

Edited by LukerGamerz

So I was digging around and I found some old files on my computer of an incomplete attempt at creating a Palutena sprite from Serra of FE7. I decided I would go ahead and finish it. This was the result:

5a44630c1b3fa_BPalutena.png.66bddda5fda37bc75a29bf5655eb5fd1.png

Fortunately, Palutena is less of a hassle than Yoshi, because she's a human. I think she turned out pretty well, and I doubt she'll be hard to animate, too. She may just be the first custom character ready for Project FE X SSB!

Feedback on both Palutena and Yoshi would be appreciated.

Edited by LukerGamerz

On 12/31/2017 at 2:45 AM, LaserDuda said:

With Yoshi I think he'd look better if you made him shorter. Palutena looks great just keep going for more detail with her. Good work so far.

Thank you!

I fear making Yoshi shorter than he already is because it's possible that I'll shrink him so much that certain attack animations (like a cavelier's or a mercenary's, in which they do not make a full swing from top to bottom) go over him instead of hitting him. I'm not sure how to remedy that, or if I need to at all, but it's something I want to find a solution to before trying again.

As for Palutena, I finished all of the animations for her (save for the dodging animation). Here's what it looks like:

5a4e43be1275e_BPalutena(Serenes).png.23294d6738ba05862573d25c3702650d.png

I also attempted to make Captain Falcon out of the Assassin:

5a4e432b92371_BCaptainFalcon.png.f53b54a247029fc05a883fcaa01edb1e.png

How do they look?

Edited by LukerGamerz

• 2 months later...

I really like Palutena and think why your try is okay, the "base" sprite could have been chosen better.

Here is my version in comparison (the right picture). I guess that mine has too many colors for a GBA game, but that could probably be changed by just using one "type" of white.

Comparision.gif