Is there any explanation for the massive amount of power in Dynasty Warriors and the Warriors Spinoff games?

DisobeyedCargo

I realize that it's a video game, you need to suspend your disbelief, but come on!! Every single character in every game is easily capable of taking on a whole army single handedly. Is there any sort of explanation for this massive power that they hold??! 

To be honest, soldiers in Fire emblem were always the ''Gomba'' of this franchise, especially in FE6.

What I hate about this game is the very painful grinding.

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

If you're Lu Bu or Tadakatsu then there is an explanation but otherwise not really.

Though Ganondorf with an epic mane needs no explanation for why he can defeat whole armies on his own.

This, really

Though they FORCE it with Zhao Yun in particular. Can't speak on Samurai though, but I'd imagine Sanada is the same?

Isn't it explained in FEW that the soldiers are illusions or something?  Which would make sense because all the unique characters are tougher to bring down.  Though even in their base games, most of the units featured are pretty strong and capable of taking out scores of regular grunts.  From the obviously important and powerful people like Marth and Camilla to some of the more lowly soldiers such as Niles or Frederick, they've all probably killed at least a full company's worth (80 or so) of people and monsters over the course of their lives, judging from the amount of enemies they could kill in their respective games which tend to take place over the course of 1-5 years only.  If you figure that the enemies are illusions (or the equivalent) of roughly the same level of strength as the illusions you can summon in Echoes, then it shouldn't be too hard to imagine the heroes slicing and dicing them like they're soft bologna.

As for Hyrule Warriors, I know that at least Link is a very capable warrior in general; in most situations that would leave a trained grunt piddling in his pants, Link just charges in like it's no big deal, and he's dealt with overwhelming battles before, even if he is not the same Link as from any of the other games.  I'd say you could also make a valid argument for Zelda or Ganondorf's power because they're also wielders of the Triforce pieces.  Darunia is a powerhouse... uh, Ruto is royalty... and I guess Agitha's a gag character and thus gets gag powers somewhat akin to Arale from Toriyama's works?  Not sure for anyone else, though.

In the mainline Warriors games, some of the featured warriors (most notably Lu Bu) have performed feats of legend in their times.  That being said, some of the other warriors never even fought (such as most - or all - of the women), so in those cases it's very much just a wild suspension of reality.  But if every warrior had to be an exceptional warrior like Lu Bu, then there would either be an overload of OCs or just not that many characters at all.

Warriors games are pretty much just early 80's shounen manga power fantasies in game form.

Although in earlier Warriors games you could die pretty easily and even in the Warriors Orochi games if you set it on Chaos mode you die in a few hits regardless of stats.

If you think Warriors has it bad, then you should see Sengoku Basara... lol

Anyway, yeah, as mentioned, that's the point of the genre the games are. And it's clear it's meant to apply for the player when you see how the characters when controlled by the AI don't do the same. Or even are capable of falling to the generic hordes...

19 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Isn't it explained in FEW that the soldiers are illusions or something?  Which would make sense because all the unique characters are tougher to bring down.  Though even in their base games, most of the units featured are pretty strong and capable of taking out scores of regular grunts.  From the obviously important and powerful people like Marth and Camilla to some of the more lowly soldiers such as Niles or Frederick, they've all probably killed at least a full company's worth (80 or so) of people and monsters over the course of their lives, judging from the amount of enemies they could kill in their respective games which tend to take place over the course of 1-5 years only.  If you figure that the enemies are illusions (or the equivalent) of roughly the same level of strength as the illusions you can summon in Echoes, then it shouldn't be too hard to imagine the heroes slicing and dicing them like they're soft bologna.

As for Hyrule Warriors, I know that at least Link is a very capable warrior in general; in most situations that would leave a trained grunt piddling in his pants, Link just charges in like it's no big deal, and he's dealt with overwhelming battles before, even if he is not the same Link as from any of the other games.  I'd say you could also make a valid argument for Zelda or Ganondorf's power because they're also wielders of the Triforce pieces.  Darunia is a powerhouse... uh, Ruto is royalty... and I guess Agitha's a gag character and thus gets gag powers somewhat akin to Arale from Toriyama's works?  Not sure for anyone else, though.

In the mainline Warriors games, some of the featured warriors (most notably Lu Bu) have performed feats of legend in their times.  That being said, some of the other warriors never even fought (such as most - or all - of the women), so in those cases it's very much just a wild suspension of reality.  But if every warrior had to be an exceptional warrior like Lu Bu, then there would either be an overload of OCs or just not that many characters at all.

Where does it say that the grunts are illusions?

12 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Where does it say that the grunts are illusions?

I haven't played the game; I just heard about it second-hand.

Probably not illusions because I don't remember what was said precisely, but I do remember someone said they weren't exactly straight up humans in order to justify Celica's pacifism in a game where she's made to obliterate literally thousands of grunts.  Like they were Risen, ghost soldiers, or something akin to the mindless human-like troops that you're made to fight in the 3DS titles.

But again, I wouldn't know for sure because I've never played them myself.  It's sort of why I also pointed out the notion that most of the FEW heroes have killed quite a few grunts, since I'm at least sure of that fact.  Of course, that fact can be debatable depending on how people use some of the characters in their base games (e.g. some might want to only use the healers for healing and leave them strictly out of combat), but most of them are typically considered to be good or decent units, and as such could probably take down a thousand soldiers in any given (grindy) playthrough.

Ultimately, it is what others have said about it just being a Warriors game, but I'm at least trying to think about it in a different way.  I don't really care for the Game Theorist, but if there's one thing I have in common with him, it's that I don't like just settling for simple, effortless answers like "it's just a game" because it's funner to challenge myself with inquiries like this.