What movie are you watching right now?

John Denver Fan

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

(Re)watching Ready Player One.

While it DID depart from the novel in a lot of ways, it was still a fun ride (not gonna play Spot the Differences here, lest spoilers to the book AND movie come up, which they definitely would). 7/10.

• 1 month later...

I checked out “Boys Don’t Cry” from the library today. I’ve heard good things, but I’m skeptical since the title would suggest that it’s unfavorable to transsexuals. We’ll see tonight.

9 hours ago, SMEDIA said:

I checked out “Boys Don’t Cry” from the library today. I’ve heard good things, but I’m skeptical since the title would suggest that it’s unfavorable to transsexuals. We’ll see tonight.

I know nothing about it, but I assume the title's ironic.

Re-watched star wars 8 : The Last Jedi, with my sister.

The movie does it comedic scenes better than I had remembered. My sister pointed out how this movie has more characters "stalled by inaction" than even Hamlet which is pretty impossible to unsee. My sister didn't think Finn and Rose had much chemistry due to the script, since Rose essentially has the high ground every time they speak together and Finn is more or less a reactionary character in this movie instead of an active one. The Villians still didn't work for me on this rewatch, although my sister was fine with everyone but Kylo Ren. Captain Phasma sticks out to me in particular as merchandise bait (no personality to speak of as "Finn's rival" sold on a vague visual reference to Boba Fett, less than 5 minutes of screentime). I kind of also feel the generational thing with this movie's many fight scenes... Lucas's star wars certainly isn't a martial art tour-de-foruce, but in this higher production effort it usually ran into A: action was for its own sake and had no charather points (imperial guard fight, Finn v Phasma) or B: they could taunt appeal to each other during the fights, but due to higher effort had to ti in tired/grunting voices (brief Rey v Luke, Rey v Kylo). Oh and the space bombers at the beginning were unimaginably un-cinematic, especially after Rogue One.    Personally I think the scene where Admiral Holdo suicide bombs Snoke's flagship harms pretty much all space combat in the series (It is good emotionally and as a charather moment) because if we're going to allow for Relativistic Kill Vehiciles, then things like the death star were pointless in the first place, and every "large size ship" was an open target to X-Wing sized crafts (presumably on auto) using themselves as far stronger projectiles than their torpodeos. And even if kinetic impact is weaker in this universe ....  it's not like the factions throughout its history have had a shortage of capital ships in movies 1-6.   I mean the "science" of the ship breaking up is also softened for the sake of character survival, which I think most people use to explain why it's never used in the SW universe, but it bothers me. The "salt planet" at the end is like having a cake and eating it too, because visually they are having an Ice planet siege, apparently to trigger people claiming its copying the second OG movie, but at the same time they're claiming its different. I can only imagine that movie 9 will somehow squeeze in a fake forest planet but claim it's not a forest (petrified trees? Giant Mushroom groves?). Despite the message of this movie, let's face it, just as many people would have cheered if Finn had succesfully sacrficied himself.

Taking my sister was helpful, since we riffed on most of the movie, even though she hadn't seen it before. The audience in the outdoor theater was small, but amazingly appreciate, even of Kylo Ren's brief "good guy" scene. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just watched the the 2012 version of Dredd, that was nice. I have to give credit to Karl Urban and expressing himself well despite wearing a helmet the entire movie, and the atmosphere of the film of a gritty mega city in the future.