Fire Emblem Switch Teaser Expectations

I'm guessing that they'll have a two to three minute reveal trailer in the January direct, which will show off some cutscenes, the new art style, and hopefully gameplay. I especially hope that they focus more of the combat animations this time around, as seeing Alm dynamically dodge and then counterattack an enemies attack nearly doubled my hype for SoV (which was already high, since the story was going to be morally grey and the fact that it was a remake of an old game).

I'm expecting them to release it around May or June, though I wouldn't be surprised if it was released later in the year, but only if the game is shown to be HUGE in scale, whether in gameplay, story, and/or animations/art.

This is a little off topic, but does anyone know how long it takes to develop a Fire Emblem game? They were able to create three full scale Fire Emblem games in the span of two years, with one of them being constantly praised for it's gameplay and level design. I don't expect the map design, character stat/growth decisions, and gameplay mechanics to take that long to develop and implement, but I'm curious as to how much time in the development process the writing, animations, etc. takes.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Altrosa said:

Well, from the outset Gamefreak said it was very iffy that the next Pokémon would launch anytime soon. 

Stars was a real thing, but when The Pokémon Company realized that the Switch was a monster seller after all, Gamefreak quietly dropped the Stars project and instead released UltraSun and Moon to keep us occupied while they develop gen 8 from scratch. Creatures. Inc (they do most of the art assets for GameFreak) is now hiring for Ultima Engine experienced designers, so it's gonna be HD.

Basically, I SERIOUSLY doubt Gen 8 is launching 2018, unless it just barely scrapes into the holiday season, and that's a major blow to Switch's 2018 prospects either way. The only way I can feasibly see a 2018 release is if it's the fabled Sinnoh remakes, thus cutting a massive load of design time. (i really want that badly but, those are unlikely for the first Switch Pokémon titles.)

The only thing I can think of that would rock the world is a massive library of Vitual Console Gamecube games for Switch.

I'd honestly see another gen 1 remake over a Sinnoh remake if they were to go the remake route with 2018 Pokemon.

With as much as GameFreak loves milking gen 1, the idea of the first "HD, console Pokemon game" being a remake of the very first gen makes too much sense if they don't have enough time to make a whole new region with ~100 new Pokemon. Being able to see Kanto and the original 151 in full 3D would likely sell the game to MAAAAAAANY people, even those who haven't played Pokemon in years. Probably since the last time they remade gen 1.

I'm pretty indifferent on Sinnoh(The only region I dislike more is Hoenh, and people seem to like that for whatever reason). It seems like one of the least popular regions and generations, and I'm sure GameFreak sees it the same way. I doubt they'd waste their first big shot at HD on Sinnoh.

So yeah. I wouldn't be surprised or upset if it turned out the Pokemon game coming to the Switch in the next year or so was just gen 1 again.

As for FE Switch, people remember that Echoes was a side project with a small budget and a smaller team, right? I'm willing to bet that they've been working on the next proper FE game pretty much since Fates' original Japanese release and they saw that it also sold gangbusters like Awakening. They also probably got Switch dev kits relatively early in development. I don't think it's a similar situation to Pokemon, where they probably got told to make Pokemon Switch immediately after Sun/Moon, just a few months before the release of the Switch itself.

Edited by Slumber

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

I'd honestly see another gen 1 remake over a Sinnoh remake if they were to go the remake route with 2018 Pokemon.

With as much as GameFreak loves milking gen 1, the idea of the first "HD, console Pokemon game" being a remake of the very first gen makes too much sense if they don't have enough time to make a whole new region with ~100 new Pokemon. Being able to see Kanto and the original 151 in full 3D would likely sell the game to MAAAAAAANY people, even those who haven't played Pokemon in years. Probably since the last time they remade gen 1.

I'm pretty indifferent on Sinnoh(The only region I dislike more is Hoenh, and people seem to like that for whatever reason). It seems like one of the least popular regions and generations, and I'm sure GameFreak sees it the same way. I doubt they'd waste their first big shot at HD on Sinnoh.

So yeah. I wouldn't be surprised or upset if it turned out the Pokemon game coming to the Switch in the next year or so was just gen 1 again.

As for FE Switch, people remember that Echoes was a side project with a small budget and a smaller team, right? I'm willing to bet that they've been working on the next proper FE game pretty much since Fates' original Japanese release and they saw that it also sold gangbusters like Awakening. They also probably got Switch dev kits relatively early in development. I don't think it's a similar situation to Pokemon, where they probably got told to make Pokemon Switch immediately after Sun/Moon, just a few months before the release of the Switch itself.

It wont be a 1st gen remake for sure! Its going to be a brand new pkmn game.. leaks have already start to spread and the creators have already given a 1st interview...

They have already mliked gen1 these couple of years in a huge extend (megas, alola, virtual red/blue/gold/silver, "pkmn go")... U might not like sinoh but people do and are hyped for this and GF knows it... sinoh remake was underway for the 3DS but they had to change their plans due to backlash and thats why they gave us all the legendaries in USUM...

GF has also found new ways to pander to gen1 stans and make them buy the new products (mega, alola and whatever they come up with in gen8)

Also game freak has 2 teams... one works on the current project and the other on the next... And i think pokemon games are harder to be made than FE (dont take my word on that tho)

Edited by Pegasus Knight

"Genwunners" are considered a bane to the Pokémon franchise by a larger demographic of fans than said Gen 1 purists. We have nearly 800 Pokémon across various regions and console generations, and the expectation that everyone freaking loves Kanto is just plain wrong.

I think most fans like Kanto, but the fact that GF and the Pokémon company really only push extra goodies through Gen1 Pokémon (like merch), it sends the wrong message. Like Lucario (gen4) and Greninja (gen6) are hugely popular, but they were pushed and remained popular as such. Rowlet's tipping into that space, currently. Skitty's a good example, too. But the lack of love given to most generations outside of the most recent and Gen 1 has been a complain for nigh on a decade, now. I mean, XY didn't even get it's third edition or sequel of any kind, and Kalos was awesome!

Sinnoh is my personal favorite, and my individual fav Pokémon line is Gen1/2,  to be open, but the Gen4 games themselves were mared with technical slowdown on a level worse than SuMo's series are. It had a beautiful region, great Pokémon, great story, fantastic endgame, and arguably the most popular Champion, but it still took 5 seconds too long to do anything. Also, you never hear any one talk down to HGSS, which used the same engine as DPPl, and you won't easily find someone who didn't love having Pokémon following you around just like Pikachu.

While I doubt Sinnoh remakes are next, I think Kanto remakes would actually make more fans angry than happy, unless it's a huge deviation from Red/Blue/Yellow and the Johto expansions. It would need to be a whole new version of Kanto with massive upgrades and Kantonian versions of newer Pokémon for the anti-Genwunner croud to warm up to it. It can't just be HD Red/Green or it would come off like a desperate cash grab post a clear cash grab in USUM.

Besides, there was that mysterious Spain trip the GF execs recently took, so there is that.

Also, Pokémon isn't owned by Nintendo. It's the same situation as Fire Emblem actually, being third party but the mainline of games is exclusively released to Nintendo hardware, so Nintendo only has so much sway with Pokémon development. That's why Pokémon's all over mobile and has been for years. I guess you could call it "second-party" as a developer.

Man, we went super off-topic, lol. Nintendo needs to hurry with the new announcements. We're losing our minds.

Edited by Altrosa

I, for one, wouldn't want Kanto remakes again. Kanto already gets the most recognition from GF and gets most of the new cool stuff. Wish they do the same with other Gens as well.

As for expectations... 

Rumors either confirmed or denied.

Tbh, i have a feeling Fjorm is gonna be MC of FE16 for some reason :hmmm:

Edited by Shrimperor

6 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

This is a little off topic, but does anyone know how long it takes to develop a Fire Emblem game? They were able to create three full scale Fire Emblem games in the span of two years, with one of them being constantly praised for it's gameplay and level design. I don't expect the map design, character stat/growth decisions, and gameplay mechanics to take that long to develop and implement, but I'm curious as to how much time in the development process the writing, animations, etc. takes.

Fates had multiple teams, which is why the writing is wacky at places and why so much off the wall otaku bait was inserted, one team pushed hard to put more waifu related stuff in it (honestly wouldn't be shocked if that's the crew on Heroes). They had a much larger team than ever before and split the workload properly to get the game out in good time, but Fates' flaws can be put down to the broken up teams working in their own bubbles.

That said, 2 to 3 years looks to be average to go from start to finish. But, since IS had a team on Echoes and they are working with a much more powerful console than previously, the dev cycle for FE Switch is likely scewed from the engineering side needing more time to build FE specific dev tools.

2 minutes ago, Altrosa said:

Fates had multiple teams, which is why the writing is wacky at places and why so much off the wall otaku bait was inserted, one team pushed hard to put more waifu related stuff in it (honestly wouldn't be shocked if that's the crew on Heroes). They had a much larger team than ever before and split the workload properly to get the game out in good time, but Fates' flaws can be put down to the broken up teams working in their own bubbles.

That said, 2 to 3 years looks to be average to go from start to finish. But, since IS had a team on Echoes and they are working with a much more powerful console than previously, the dev cycle for FE Switch is likely scewed from the engineering side needing more time to build FE specific dev tools.

arent 2-3 years a bit too much? after all FE ssems like one of teh easier games to make...

the GBA era was giving a game each year...

1 minute ago, Pegasus Knight said:

arent 2-3 years a bit too much? after all FE ssems like one of teh easier games to make...

the GBA era was giving a game each year...

It's dev team size, staggered dev cycles with multiple teams, bug fixes, localization time frames, etc.  (also think GBA is really cake to make games for since so many companies released rapid fire, but that's an exception)

FE is only annual because more than one dev crew makes them and there aren't dramatic upheavals in core design elements very often. IE Awakening.

Echoes was already in the works before we had Fates. We estimate Switch is later next year, that'd be 2-3 years from the release of Fire Emblem If.

Ok, predictions:

- Female main character 

- Back to standard FE setting 

- More political story 

- New artist is someone who has collaborated on Heroes

- Units are 3D on maps like PoR and RD

- Avatar hinted at but not confirmed right away

- at least one cringey moment and/or design

- Spring 2018 release

On 12/27/2017 at 10:56 AM, Slumber said:

I don't think there's going to be a huge disparity in release dates anymore.

I don't think Nintendo wants another Fates situation. 

Especially with Xenoblade Chronicles 2, a very text-heavy RPG, getting a simultaneous release.

I imagine Nintendo will want to replicate that as much as possible for Fire Emblem.

On 12/28/2017 at 6:59 PM, Book Bro said:

Ok, predictions:

- Female main character 

- Back to standard FE setting 

- More political story 

- New artist is someone who has collaborated on Heroes

- Units are 3D on maps like PoR and RD

- Avatar hinted at but not confirmed right away

- at least one cringey moment and/or design

- Spring 2018 release

I predict disappointment, no more, no less.

2 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

This is why you set your expectations as low as possible, so that you're never disappointed.

but if my expectation is disappointment will it be a disappointment when it ends up not being the worst thing since radiant dawn voice acting?

I expect fire emblem switch to be a literal dating sim.

I'm expecting at least 1 minute 30 second trailer, and then for them to talk about gameplay changes and amiibo functionality, followed by an imminent amiibo announcement. (Quite frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if they announced their DLC outright too. I don't have a problem with it since it has never been content in the main game, but they'll probably want to get the backlash out of the way asap)

Best thing I can hope/expect is a spring world wide release, comfortable and reasonable priced dlc, and 2 amiibo; That's probably asking for too much though.

I'm at least hoping for a concept art or title drop.

What I really want is a trailer similar to Fates' teasers. I was really hyped for Fates when it was first advertised/teased. Show some tense moments, some action, and part of the intro cutscene. Include awesome music, and there you go. 

And just a thought. In the Fates Teaser, the beginning had a HD cutscene before switching to Fates' style. I know it was showing the different sides, but I really liked how it looked. So, how would you think if this level of HD was the new FE. (different story and class designs, but same quality level). Might be a little far-fetched, but it does show an idea of what to expect.

Spoiler

tmKGGo2.jpg

YFPQo37.jpg

qeo2D9s.jpg

Edited by Lord_Grima

I don't think we can expect a huge gap before Japan and the NA release. It may even be a worldwide release, since Nintendo seems worried about putting games on the Switch as fast as possible. Even Xenoblade Chronicles 2 had a worldwide release, and its fan community isn't even as big as FE's.

On 12/26/2017 at 6:18 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

I don't except much. When the game is revealed we probably get a gameplay scene of the lord killing an enemy unit and then the game's official name and logo. That's it. 

Lol, that’d be funny. But it would show that Nintendo doesn’t care, and that’s not a good thing for sales. 

On 12/28/2017 at 4:33 PM, Altrosa said:

Besides, there was that mysterious Spain trip the GF execs recently took, so there is that.

Introducing Barcel City! And the Grass Starter ends up becoming a Grass-Fighting Matador. 

I'm going to be totally skeptical of whatever story gets shown in the trailers, or even skip it and the support dialogue outright. After Fates, tis best to be wary. Why one should be wary going back to Radiant Dawn if you're a major Micaiah fan. I say this because what do RD, Awakening, Fates, and SoV all have in common? The plot presentation shown in the early trailers and info releases is betrayed. Micaiah is important to RD, but after P1 she no longer is the lone nor central star in the sky (not that I'm raving mad about this- I'm not but everyone can agree Micaiah needed more)- they also dropped that weird Micaiah-Caineghis duel (which the Red Lion King would have deserved to win). Awakening overemphasizes the Chrom-Lucina duel in its promotional stuff, which lasts for the whole of five turns in Chapter 4. Fates- there is no real choice after the one, there is no reform of Nohr, the birthright is a tenuous stepchildright. SoV- way of peace and way of the sword each different and of merit,-nope! It's Alm's perfect way or Celica's overly passive one.

But this doesn't really matter to me since unless FE pulls a Mega Man X7 in gameplay (to name a major changeup bomb), I'm totally going to get it. And therefore, the teaser, which I doubt would show off much gameplay, is meaningless to me. 

Was there something saying that they wanted to try continuing with SoV's 3D exploration segments? Would FE Switch do that, or would Switch 2? Since SoV wasn't released and fan feedback, if they wanted it, obtained by the time FES started development? How late into the development cycle could one add such a feature? 

I'm trying to wrap my head around how one could make an open world FE work, since open world is hot nowadays. Not saying FE should go in that direction, I'm just trying to think how they could if they wanted to.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm trying to wrap my head around how one could make an open world FE work, since open world is hot nowadays. Not saying FE should go in that direction, I'm just trying to think how they could if they wanted to.

We did get a "Trial/Teaser" of this with Echoes: SoV's dungeons. My guess an open world FE game would be similar to that. (Mix of FE and Dragon Quest). You explore the open world and then can attack wild monsters for exp and gold. Then story/paralogue chapters would have an NPC or a banner with a column of light type thing. Something to let you know "This is a chapter". Add resource gathering, different modes of transport, wandering merchants, towns, and setting up camp where ever you wanted to pass time.

This could be really cool if done right, but I agree with what you say. It doesn't quite feel right for FE.

12 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm trying to wrap my head around how one could make an open

world FE work, since open world is hot nowadays. Not saying FE should go in that direction, I'm just trying to think how they could if they wanted to.

I struggle with this as well given of the new Zelda BOTW, and while Odyssey not being "Open World" it still definitely is a lot larger scale and less linear than previous titles. Given that it's IS we are talking about, Im not going to surrender to that idea.

On the other hand, didn't IS have plans to make an open world FE after RD? Even though it got cancelled something like that could be dug up given the new console has been doing a Switch up of the staple games.

8 minutes ago, JimmyBeans said:

I struggle with this as well given of the new Zelda BOTW, and while Odyssey not being "Open World" it still definitely is a lot larger scale and less linear than previous titles. Given that it's IS we are talking about, Im not going to surrender to that idea.

On the other hand, didn't IS have plans to make an open world FE after RD? Even though it got cancelled something like that could be dug up given the new console has been doing a Switch up of the staple games.

that makes it sound like the dungeon sections of echoes but just for the whole overworld. not sure I really want FE to go that direction

2 minutes ago, gralbeord said:

that makes it sound like the dungeon sections of echoes but just for the whole overworld. not sure I really want FE to go that direction

I agree, Especially since I found the bigger dungeons in echoes to be a bit draining at times given the simpleness of the battles

Now that you guys are talking about dungeons I feel the teaser/trailer it's going to show off this.

I only hope I can skip battles like in TMS. Or the enemies better stay dead until you return to the overworld.