What I want (and don't want) for FE Switch

KingSigurd

Alright, so this is my first post here and I don't even know if I'm doing it right but here we go. This'll be a list of things that I want and don't want for FE Switch (hence the title duh). I will explain each point if it needs explanation.

Disclaimer: I have played a good amount of FE in my day and I'm not a 3DS only player, in fact Genealogy is my favorite one. So these opinions are what I've gathered through all of the games I've played and are mainly based around aspects I've liked.

Wants:

• Big maps. One of the things I liked from Genealogy was the huge chapters. Now, since this game will be on the Switch I am expecting bigger than normal maps but I still thought I'd put this on here.
  • A less linear type. Normally FE has chapters in order, which isn't bad, but maybe a less linear game would be fun. Here's an example: Let's say you just beat a level in this game, more than one path would open and the player chooses which way to go. And maybe not every path lets you progress but there would be more than one that would let you move on. I'm probably explaining this really bad but hopefully you get what I'm saying.
  • A longer game. This may be really sad, but when Fates first came out I beat Conquest and Birthright within a week and Revelation within 3 days. So in my opinion these newer games are really short if you're just doing the story it shouldn't take you long at all. What I want for FE Switch is a long game that can last many hours besides extra content. This point leads into my next one-
  • Better character development. We all know that Fates' characters (and story tbh) weren't the best. Since this game (hopefully) will be a longer one, we can have not only supports but even smaller or full sized maps/chapters and scenarios where we learn more about main AND side characters. I dunno, I think it'd be fun, maybe they can be optional maps that the player can choose to play?
  • Based in a different culture/time period. A lot of these games are based around Medieval Europe and Hoshido was an Asian based country and that was a cool little switch up, but it'd also be cool if they made the new one in a brand new area. Like a Gothic time period or something.
  • Separate stories/paths. I think the idea of separate stories in Fates was a very good idea. Although Fates didn't really do it right, hopefully this new one will.
  • An art style that is similar to Echoes. I absolutely love the art in Echoes and it'd be really nice to see it make another appearance. Or at least make it a similar type of art.
  • Better graphics. This is the only point that I'm fully expecting to be a part of the new game. Mostly because it's on the Switch and I want them to move on from the 3DS style of models. 

Ok, that's all I can think of what I want in the new game so here's the things I don't want.

Don't Wants:

• An avatar. Before any potential readers  (and "avatar" likers) get triggered, let me explain my opinion. An avatar is supposed to be you, the player. So in turn, that character should portray you. The avatar in Awakening and Fates isn't an avatar, but a character on their own. Robin had his own personality, story, and development on his own with the only traits controlled by the player being appearance and who you marry and bond with. The same is with Corrin, but one extra trait you control being the path you choose but that doesn't really count in my book. Anyway, I'm not totally against an avatar, but making them fully customizable in a game like FE is nigh impossible. Another reason I don't want avatars is because they're not always done right characterwise. I can't say anything about the avatar in New Mystery of the Emblem because I haven't played that game but Corrin and Robin weren't very good characters in my opinion with Robin being better than Corrin but still not amazing.
  • A 2nd Generation. Genealogy did the 2nd generation very well and it did fit into the story, this is the same case with Awakening. Fates did not live up to this and ended up with a child system that really made no sense. I'd like them to move on from this system now that 2 games have had this included, but if they insist on keeping it I need it to make sense.
  • Bad characters. This may be a lot to ask, but I want every character to be likeable and to have a good background so they're not plain like some characters in Fates and Awakening.
  • Bringing back old characters. I saw this in a post earlier and realized I don't want older characters to come back either. This also includes pseudo-same characters like Rhajat and Caeldori. There can be references to oldies but it's honestly a lazy (though smart) way to fill character slots if old guys return.

There aren't a lot of things I don't want, but mainly I just want a brand new experience that also mixes in some old mechanics. Anyway, again I'm new at this so go easy on me lol. If you agree or disagree tell me why. Ok bye.

36 minutes ago, KingSigurd said:

Bad characters. This may be a lot to ask, but I want every character to be likeable and to have a good background so they're not plain like some characters in Fates and Awakening.

I lold

Man, Fates took you like two weeks? All three routes combined kept me busy for like, 9 months... Though, waiting time for Revelation might have been included.

I'm not sure about big maps. Big maps are cool to look at, but they definitely contributed to how tedious Genealogy was, which is a commonly cited problem with that game. They also make mounts extra valuable and devalue infantry even more. Also, if all the battling just takes place on said giant maps again, there'd be less variety in map design, because you can't really make indoor maps.

I can mostly agree with this, I honestly think sticking with the same medieval Europe vibe is fine. Something I do want is a story from a new perspective, whether or not this ties into an avatar is beyond me, but having our character make choices and eventually become the lord is what I want (Similar to Shadow Dragon Marth but not a royal at the start).

To answer your question on Kris, Kris is kinda like Corrin in how nothing is ever seen wrong with them (at least by the royals) but also like Robin as they do serve as the other half of their lord (Think of Kris as a in-between of the two and foreshadower to Robin)

Also completing Fates that fast is astounding, I beat Birthright in 2 weeks and took forever on conquest, which I didn't finish before Revelations came out and I waited on beating that until I beat Conquest (in short I beat the last two in one night)

Following @SatsumaFSoysoy, I honestly think Big Maps should be used sparingly, but an indoor castle one isn't that hard, just have lots of hallways that interconnect until it gets to the throne room or whatever, or if map size is an issue we can always do a battle gauntlet kinda like how PoR did one chapter but instead have us be able to deploy our units.

5 minutes ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

Following @SatsumaFSoysoy, I honestly think Big Maps should be used sparingly, but an indoor castle one isn't that hard, just have lots of hallways that interconnect until it gets to the throne room or whatever, or if map size is an issue we can always do a battle gauntlet kinda like how PoR did one chapter but instead have us be able to deploy our units.

What I meant was, if maps like Genealogy's were done again, then there'd be no indoor fighting at all. It's more of the system than the size of the maps itself, I guess.

I mostly agree with the list except the big maps part. I think maps should be a mix between smaller (think castle, boat maps) and larger (fields, plains, more open maps) since it pretty much makes mounted units a lot more desirable and makes infantry units a lot less useful (especially knights). Tbh I kinda liked the fatigue system in FE3 since it forces you to use all the characters rather than just a few (one of the reasons why I liked Radiant Dawn is that it forces you to use almost all of the entire cast) but, something tells me that I'm the minority on this topic.

I do like having the Avatar and I feel that it is ok for them to have a personality already. Though the avatar is probably there so that the player have someone they can customize/personalize to make it their own.

I'm also ok with a 2nd Generation if it does something similar to FE3 and not some time traveling/outrealm BS that felt forced into the game

53 minutes ago, KingSigurd said:

Wants:

• Big maps. One of the things I liked from Genealogy was the huge chapters. Now, since this game will be on the Switch I am expecting bigger than normal maps but I still thought I'd put this on here.

I'll never understand why people want gigantic maps that take 45 minutes to an hour to clear.:wacko:

1 hour ago, NinjaMonkey said:

I'll never understand why people want gigantic maps that take 45 minutes to an hour to clear.:wacko:

Ditto. They made Genealogy practically unplayable (and unfun in general), and I very highly doubt they wouldn't do the same to other FEs...

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Sounds nice, but don't get your hopes up. You should expect them to follow the Awakening formula because that's what sells.  I still can't find 100% sure sales figures on Echoes, so correct me if I'm wrong. I'm pretty sure Echoes didn't sell as well as Awakening and Fates. Regardless of anything, I'll likely be reluctantly purchasing a Switch just for FE.

Also, does Gothic not fall under medieval Europe? 

3 hours ago, KingSigurd said:

A less linear type. Normally FE has chapters in order, which isn't bad, but maybe a less linear game would be fun. Here's an example: Let's say you just beat a level in this game, more than one path would open and the player chooses which way to go. And maybe not every path lets you progress but there would be more than one that would let you move on. I'm probably explaining this really bad but hopefully you get what I'm saying.

Something I want in a Fire Emblem game is the branching paths/ "Choose Your Own Adventure" style. When Fates was first advertised, I thought that is what we would get, a game full of choices and consequences. Instead we only got one choice. Now that an FE is back on a full console, a lot of branching paths could make a lot of sense. The main story still follows the same path, but how you get there is a decision to make. Same destination, differing routes. Would add a lot of replayability. 

Better character development. We all know that Fates' characters (and story tbh) weren't the best. Since this game (hopefully) will be a longer one, we can have not only supports but even smaller or full sized maps/chapters and scenarios where we learn more about main AND side characters. I dunno, I think it'd be fun, maybe they can be optional maps that the player can choose to play?

In Fates a lot of characters were not properly introduced or done well mostly because of the huge roster. That is one reason why I really like Echoes: SoV, a smaller roster so you have time to know who these characters are. One idea to help get to know characters is give each character a paralogue that allows the main lord to learn more about who is in their army. This is best done with a small cast and no 2nd gen(basically replace the children paralogues with character backstory paralogues). I like this idea as a "get to know you" better than support logs because it lets you know more about a character in a practical setting than a small chat. I loved seeing Boey and Mae bicker with each other in graveyards over Boey's Terror-phobia, so more of that would be awesome!

Big maps. One of the things I liked from Genealogy was the huge chapters. Now, since this game will be on the Switch I am expecting bigger than normal maps but I still thought I'd put this on here.

If this happens, it'll most likely just make me not get the game. Having FE4 style maps just turns the entire game into a massive slog and it becomes unfun.

A longer game. This may be really sad, but when Fates first came out I beat Conquest and Birthright within a week and Revelation within 3 days. So in my opinion these newer games are really short if you're just doing the story it shouldn't take you long at all.

Each Fates route was actually your standard FE length. Most FE games go for somewhere around 20 to 30 chapters. Exceptions are Gaiden/SoV, which had 5 (6 for SoV), FE4, which had 12, and Radiant Dawn, which i think had 40. Gaiden/SoV and FE4 weren't handled the way chapters usually were though.

I agree with mostly the rest (stuff like a different time period and branching paths, i wouldn't care one way or the other). Although i wouldn't mind an Avatar character if they handled him/her like they did with Cross from Xenoblade X.

Funny.  Huge chapters are exactly the number one thing I hated about FE4.

Besides that, I agree with everything else.  A meatier main campaign (relative to Paralogues/Gaiden chapters) with more branching paths would be lovely to see.

At the very least, the first few chapters should not be like Fates's pre-route split chapters, which feel like Lyn Mode in FE7 in that they make the game look longer than it actually is.  (Not a good thing!)

As for setting, I think FE Switch should be a less ambitious game as the first on the console, so I don't think another Medieval European game would hurt.  But if they have to imitate Fates and do another "culture clash" plot, I'd like to see either Romans vs. Barbarians or Spaniards vs. Aztecs.

Of course, underdeveloped character clones (like Hayato and Asugi) can die in a fire.  They're even lazier than straightforward archetype reuse.

1 hour ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

As for setting, I think FE Switch should be a less ambitious game as the first on the console, so I don't think another Medieval European game would hurt. But if they have to imitate Fates and do another "culture clash" plot, I'd like to see either Romans vs. Barbarians or Spaniards vs. Aztecs.

Well considering this is FE's return to it's original console roots, I doubt IS would want it to be outdone by the 3DS. I think I even remember reading about IS swearing off console games because Radiant Dawn's failure. 

I hope I'm not the only one who noticed but, that's not really FE's style. I see this type of stuff everywhere. Point to an instance in which FE copy/pastes a real world events and "Fire Emblemizes" it. 

The real world names are in that only. Fates is the first in the series to copy/paste a real world location. (Hoshido/Japan) Others just take bits and pieces from various places and/or mythology (usually European) and go from there. 

With that being said, is no one interested in a non-European setting?

Edited by Køkø

16 hours ago, KingSigurd said:
  • Based in a different culture/time period. A lot of these games are based around Medieval Europe and Hoshido was an Asian based country and that was a cool little switch up, but it'd also be cool if they made the new one in a brand new area. Like a Gothic time period or something.

But gothic is medieval Europe :wacko::wacko:

And Nohr is as Gothic as u can get... the Next step is to go full Leaks and put vampires and crosses

Edited by Pegasus Knight

19 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

A lot of people seem to not like the FE4 maps, but I loved them. It's just my opinion after all.

8 hours ago, Pegasus Knight said:

But gothic is medieval Europe :wacko::wacko:

And Nohr is as Gothic as u can get... the Next step is to go full Leaks and put vampires and crosses

Eh, there was that "leak" having to do with the vampire and cross stuff and I just thought it sounded cool. It might not be but I was just giving an example. All I meant was that it'd be cool to change it up...

17 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

How big are we talking? Genealogy big or GBA big? Because IMO, the maps from the GBA era were a nice size for the most part.

People seem to hate the FE4 maps, but I personally found them fun. Anyway, I'd say a good mix. Not to big for people to get bored but just enough to be fun, if you get what I'm saying.

3 minutes ago, KingSigurd said:

Eh, there was that "leak" having to do with the vampire and cross stuff and I just thought it sounded cool. It might not be but I was just giving an example. All I meant was that it'd be cool to change it up...

the only way to change it up is go one step before medieval and do grecko-roman  style...

16 hours ago, Køkø said:

Sounds nice, but don't get your hopes up. You should expect them to follow the Awakening formula because that's what sells.  I still can't find 100% sure sales figures on Echoes, so correct me if I'm wrong. I'm pretty sure Echoes didn't sell as well as Awakening and Fates. Regardless of anything, I'll likely be reluctantly purchasing a Switch just for FE.

Also, does Gothic not fall under medieval Europe? 

Yeah unfortunately Echoes didn't sell as well because it wasn't a waifu simulator... kidding. Echoes was loved by the older fans though.

Also, a few people have pointed out that Gothic is European and it probably wasn't the right word to use. What I meant was a darker tone like Nohr. I dunno.

3 minutes ago, Pegasus Knight said:

the only way to change it up is go one step before medieval and do grecko-roman  style...

1 minute ago, KingSigurd said:

I'd be ok with a Roman style FE.

I hate to break it to you guys, but that's Gaiden/Shadows of Valentia.