GBA and DS game recommendations

Ronnie

I've noticed that the majority of my GBA and DS games are Pokémon games. I want to add some variety. I'll list what I have and what I'm interested in and hopefully you guys can give me some recommendations.

For the GBA I have: Pokémon Sapphire, Emerald, and FireRed, and Final Fight One.
I'm looking to get FE Blazing Blade and Sacred Stones. Also looking at Golden Sun.

For the DS I have: Pokémon Diamond, Platinum, HeartGold, White, White 2 and Conquest. I also have Mario Kart DS and Starfy.

I like RPGs, action adventure, fighting, platformers and racing games.

Edited by Ronnie

GBA: the Legend of Zelda Minish Cap, this was my first Zelda game and it makes me sad when I run into a Zelda fan who won't play this game, yes there are Zelda fans that refuse to play MC.

DS: Nostalgia, it is a fun RPG that is a bit steampunk and has a pretty good story. 

Personally, I'd recommend:

GBA:

• Golden Sun
  • Golden Sun: The Lost Age
  • Zelda: Minish Cap
  • Mega Man & Bass
  • Summon Night Swordcraft Story
  • Summon Night Swordcraft Story 2
  • FF4
  • FF5
  • FF6

DS:

• Chrono Trigger
  • Mega Man Zero Collection
  • Golden Sun Dark Dawn
  • Diddy Kong Racing
  • Rune Factory
  • Rune Factory 2
  • Rune Factory 3
Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

16 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I feel like this was asked some time ago. . .

Anyway, Chrono Trigger is on the DS.  Give it a try!

I made a Wii U game recommendation thread months ago. Also a Final Fantasy recommendation thread a month ago.

Either I'm too lazy to google a list or I value the opinion of others!

GBA:

• Metroid Fusion and any of the GBA Castlevanias are always solid.
  • Golden Sun is a great choice. The OTHER forgotten Nintendo JRPG franchise.
  • Summon Night 1 and 2 are fun action RPGs.
  • Minish Cap is probably the best original handheld Zelda game aside from from A Link Between Worlds. Can't really go wrong with the ALttP remake, either.
  • Any of the Final Fantasy games are good, including Tactics Advanced, which is another strategy RPG.

DS:

• Radiant Historia is a good JRPG with a lot of charm.
  • Any of the DS Castlevanias.
  • Any of the Dragon Quest remakes, though they're rarer than gold at this point.
  • Not in any of the genres you posted, but I'm gonna toss out Elite Beat Agents, because I love Elite Beat Agents.

GBA

• Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced
  • Legend of Zelda Minish Cap
  • Pokemon Expert Emerald / Pokemon Emerald Kaizo (basically beefed up romhacks of Emerald that are significantly harder but with access to all 386 Pokemon, with Kaizo being harder since it is set mode and you can't use items in battle)

NDS

• Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced: Grimoire of the Rift
  • Etrian Odyssey 1&2
  • Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon (well all the rune factory games are pretty solid)
  • Mario&Luigi Partners in Time / Bowser's Inside Story
  • Pokemon Blaze Black / Volt White, Blaze Black 2 / Volt White 2, Sacred Gold / Storm Silver (romhacks that make the game significantly harder)
  • Devil Survivor 1&2

Edited by Lunarly

I'm going to mention Drill Dozer for GBA if you can pick it up for a good price. It's a platformer with a nice central mechanic.

I'm surprised at the absence of Advance Wars being mentioned but I'd look into it and see if you might like it. Any of it.

Echoing mentions of TWEWY, CT and the portable Metroidvanias (mainly the Sorrow titles), and FF5/6 for GBA because 4 is better elsewhere (On the DS in particular)

Radiant Historia is also coming out for 3DS this year (It's 2018 here now), so if you're like me it's the only way to get it without importing or if you're in a region that can get it it's pretty rare as far as I know.

Mother 3 is one of my favorate games of all time. the marketing tagline is "Strange. Funny. Heartrending", and it is an excellent description. PLAY THIS! The big problem is that it is japan only, so you have 3 chioces, play it in japanese (as with many cult classics, carts are obscenely expensive), play the (excellent) fan translation on emulator, or use a flash cart (not all flach carts can handle the game, as it uses the maximum GBA rom size.)

I actualy really like all 3 games in the golden sun series.  This iinclues Golden sun for the GBA, Go;den sun 2 for the GBA(the ojly gba game i can think of that includes save data transfer), and Golden Sun : dark dawn for DS (has issues, primaraly permenant missables, but is still a great game)/

Radient Historia is the second best JRPG involving time travel that I have played. In almost very other catagory it wpuld be number 1, but chrono trigger is just that good.  THat being said, Radient historia is getting a 3ds remake this year with a ton of new content, so i would recomend waiting for that. Totaly get chrono trigger ds , though. Best version of that game.

A WIDE variethy of snes and genesis games have GBA remakes, because the hard ware is so similar. Often , these have enhancements that make them better games. Examples include : final fantisy 4, 5 , and 6 (4 has bugs in the north american gba release, and a ds verion that I hear is great, and 6 adds some good stuff, but not that much, but 5 is HIGHLY recommended, as the other US releases are all bad ports) Super mario world and yoshi's island, Breath of fire 1-3, Zelda: a link to the past and a wide variety of other stuff i can't immediately think of. The quality on these varies from "must own" to "sonic genesis" (which came out one the same day as sonic 06, but STILL manages to be worse than you would expect) "upgrades" or streight ports of nes games are not uncommon.

More obscure games that you may or may not like, but are generaly cheap, and have fans:

Lunar legend: Remake of a sega CD rpg. I liked it

Sword of mana: A remake of "final fantisy adventure", with a more detailed plot which retcons mana series elements into it.

Tales of fantasia: the only translated version of the first game in the tales series.

Advance wars series (2 games on gba and 2 games on ds): THe OTHER intsys srpg series. I personaly don't like them, but many people swear by them.

Pokemon mystery dungion explorers of sky. Interesting translation of pokemon mechanics into the classic rouguelike genre, with random dungions and a death penalty that is more than a slap on the wrist (but is not as severe as permadeath). Has a decent plot. Password system can be cheesed to get legendaries on your team, if you are into that. Only pokemon game i am aware if where playing a skitty is viable. I have only played "explorers of darkness", but sky is the enhanced 3rd version.

Basically echoing on some

GBA: Minish Cap, Definitely can recommend Golden Sun

DS: Golden Sun Dark Dawn, Pokemon Ranger games? I always found them fun with Shadows of Almia being the best of the trilogy. Maybe a mystery dungeon game too to help diversify it as well as that's more of a dungeon crawling rpg.

3ds (since I'm assuming you have one): Rune Factory 4 (more of a home simulator/rpg game), Bravely Default and Bravely Second (basically games inspired heavily by old school FF, also made by SE), Project X Zone and it's sequel (Just beware, the sequel contains massive spoilers for the original Xenoblade Chronicles), Xenoblade 3d if you have a new 3ds, Both Mercenaries Saga games, both are on the eshop for only $5 each or so. They're both really fun yet challenging and I'd imagine they play like Final Fantasy Tactics since I never played that but noted the similarities to Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy, and a oddball here, Code of Princess, it's a beat em up game with a interesting cast of characters and playstyles, plus it uses a three lane battle system which I found unique, plus the boss theme is pretty good too. Made by Atlus if that offers any clue on how it is. One final game I have to mention is Kid Icarus Uprising, amazing game with amazing soundtrack, characters, and levels. The only downside is how often your hand cramps due to the controls but it can be worked around.

GBA:

•  Fire Emblem
  •  Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga(if not possible, the 3DS has a remake of it)
  •  Double Dragon Advance
  •  Wario Land 4
  •  Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland
  •  Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
  •  Sonic advance trilogy
  • DK: King of Swing
  • Donkey Kong Country 3:
  • Super Mario Advance 2
  • Metroid Fusion
  • Metroid: Zero Mission

DS

• Super Mario 64 DS
  • Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
  • Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
  • Mario & Luigi: Bowser's inside Story
  • Kirby Canvas Curse
  • Professor Layton Trilogy
  • Sonic Colors
  • Sonic Rush Series

Just want to point out that the DS and GBA have some of the best library of games and I've still yet to get a good chunk of them.

Any of the Dragon Quest remakes, though they're rarer than gold at this point.

There's always the mobile versions though. Quite frankly, most ports on mobile are definitive than the ones on DS.

Edited by Harvey

6 hours ago, Slumber said:
Just now, Slumber said:

Playing anything for longer than 15 minutes on mobile controls is my personal Hell. 

Cool man. I was just saying that if at all the DS ones are hard to get, the mobile ports aren't bad. 

11 hours ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

Code of Princess, it's a beat em up game with a interesting cast of characters and playstyles, plus it uses a three lane battle system which I found unique, plus the boss theme is pretty good too. Made by Atlus if that offers any clue on how it is.

I love Code of Princess. It's like watching a cheesy 90s anime. Good soundtrack too.

24 minutes ago, fOrEiGn sOUl said:

I can contribute a picture of my personal GBA collection. Maybe you will find some intererst in on of these.

Spoiler

20180101_165701.thumb.jpg.fb2f61af7dc606883d914fc941b8c946.jpg

Which game is the top left? I can't make out the label.

26 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I love Code of Princess. It's like watching a cheesy 90s anime. Good soundtrack too.

I believe it says Dungeon Masters, since I recognize it from an ad they had when I was a kid.

Yeah it is a pretty good game.

My list

GBA

Puyo Puyo Pop (Puzzle) - Once upon a time it was one of the only English Puyo Puyo releases. A little weaker than other entries due to the point block and hard block gimmicks distracting from the best puzzle game of all time (puyo puyo tsu with no frills). Redundant in 2017 with the English release of Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Banjo Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge (platformer) - It's pretty short, but it's a much better pseudo 3-D game than the GBA versions of Rayman 3 or Spyro. 

Wario Land 4 (Platformer) - Wario 4 introduces escape sequences to speed up the heavily puzzle based gameplay of Wario 2 and Wario 3. While This does mean that the transformations are less Satisfying and punchy, I do think that the level design does benefit from it in the end. Has some replay-ability due to the unlockable Difficulty which features fairly extreme time limits. 

Klonoa: Empire of Dreams (Platformer-Puzzle) A very solid game, which uses a kind of grapple mechanic for platforming. A lot of the later levels are pretty slow-paced because of an increasing shift towards being a puzzle game. Generally seen as inferior to the second GBA game, but Dream Camp Tournament is way more expensive....

Klonoa: Dream Champ Tournament:  (Platformer-Puzzle) Doesn't recycle assets quite as aggressively as the first game. You still basically fight 3 enemy types throughout the whole thing, but this time they have little themed costumes for each world. However, levels are shorter, and despite new things like cannons/fusion enemies, you never really see grab>throw into arrow>re-grab or the more complex stuff from the first game. Finally the no-damage requirement is kind of dumb (you only ever get damaged when the camera's vertical scrolling causes problems.) IMO the fans are wrong and it's only better presentation and boss wise (Empire of Dreams also has a better thematic connection to PS1 Klonoa in the story)

Game and Watch Gallery 4 (arcade compilation) - I played the heck out of the first 3 on GBC but GW4 still offers a couple new things Cement Factory is the best game

Metroid Fusion (Platformer) - The beginning of Fusion is the worst game play in the entire Metroid series due to railroading. However it isn't too long until you enter the first "unmarked" area in the game, which is a vast improvement. It does have some harder difficulties, but I never bothered with them.

Metroid Zero Mission (Platformer) A remake of Metroid 1 - Most of the changes are to bosses + an added stealth area at the end of the game. It's easier to take in than Super Metroid or the GBC version of Metroid 2 and has good map flow, although some sections are a little straightforward and far fewer power ups affect your movement options than in other games.

Metal Slug Advance (Run N Gun) - It's different than other games in the series due to having metroid-like mechanics and encouraging you to revisit early stages once you have powerups. Has a grading system as well.

Mario Kart Advance - I used to think that the inclusion of SNES/GBA tracks in the classic cups of the later console mario karts was really tacky, but mode 7 mario kart actually works really well on a handheld. The drifting mechanic is generally more important to master than in console mario kart due to the game featuring nastier corners and thinner straightways than you might be used too. Some levels like Cheese land and Bowser Castle 3 feature a surprising amount of ramps. 

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (Platformer-RPG) - Most people regard it as the better game on the GBA double pack because it takes after Symphony of the Night regarding rpg mechanics and allows you to dramatically change the feel your charather has by using different weapons.

Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (Platformer) - However I prefer this game because it's more in line with Castlevania 3 - The Whip is the only melee weapon. You also use classic  sub-weapons (and can only hold one at a time) which require you to collect hearts. I mostly prefer it because of tighter platforming, not having to put up with grinding, and not being quite so able to cheese bosses with an inventory full of consumable healing.

Sonic Advance 2 (platformer) Personally I believe that the Advance Trilogy is the second highest Sonic has ever been after Genesis (Meaning Genesis sans Sonic 2) 

Sonic Advance 3 (platformer) Advance 3 allows you to tag team all the characters, allowing a wide  range of movement abilities. Using a spindash while climbing as knuckles is fun. 

Advance Wars 1 - (strategy) Despite being less complex than it's sequel, It's arguable that the Hard Mode campaign is more interesting in AW1 than AW2. Game encourages playing for full ranks. 

Advance Wars 2 - (strategy)  Many people's favorite game in the series. Makes the enemy faction funnier due to introducing quirky COs for them. Plot is slightly less nonsensical than "show your worth to your allies" but the tone is still very light. Gives you the option to cheese the War Room maps with the new super broken characters (Colin/Hachi) 

Rebelstar: Tactical Command (SRPG) the game that prevents me from recomending GBA fire emblem/ogre battle/final fantasy tactics

Elevator Action Old & New (Platformer) - The NES version of Elevator Action was never the definitive version, and GBA New mode makes many of the same missteps as Elevator Action Returns in ruining the game's uniqueness by emphasizing the Run N Gun aspect of the game.

Mario vs Donkey Kong (puzzle)

Wario Ware Mega Microgames (Minigame)

Warior Ware Twisted (minigames)

Mario Tennis: Power Tour (Sports) The handheld version of Mario Tenns, like the GBC game before it, is not a port of the Gamecube game (despite having the same subttitle), instead of having  menu automatically take you into tournaments, the game is actually styled as an RPG. It is quite well done (as is mario golf) but I especially love it because of keeping the gameplay on the arcadey side.

GBA Ports

Jet Grind Radio (Sports) I have the box sitting in front of me, I don't care what the internet says about the name of the GBA version of the game. 

Lost Vikings (Platformer-Puzzle)

Contra Advance (Run N Gun) A little watered down compared to how Contra 3 runs on the SNES, but it's still Contra 3. The same can't be said about the GBA Gunstar Heroes game.

ChuChu Rocket (Puzzle)

Super Mario Bros 2 (Platformer)

Super Mario Bros 3 (Platformer)

Super Mario World (Platformer)

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (Platformer)

Donkey Kong Country 2 (Platformer)

Donkey Kong Country 3 (Platformer)
R-Type 3  (Shooter)

DS

Advance Wars: Dual Strike (Strategy) The worst of the advance wars games. Incredibly rubber-bandy due to the fact that receiving damage charges your abilities faster than dealing it out. Don't bother trying to S rank the War-Room maps in this one. I still find it more satisfying than the 3 GBA Fire Emblem games though.

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (Strategy) The best of the Advance Wars games. 

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (Platformer-RPG) direct sequel to Aria of Sorrow, using the same protagonist. Has gimmicky touch screen moments.

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (Platformer-RPG) Doesn't require touch screen. Features a tag-team mechanic, and gives you more interesting old castlevania characters for new game plus than usual. Slightly longer than normal for a handheld Castlevania game. Slightly easy to break the game due to the huge invincibility frames that magic attacks give you + easy access to enough mana potions to sustain them. 

Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam (Sports) It's not really a full fledged Tony game, but for what it is it's still a colorful and fast paced game. 

Tony Hawk's American Wasteland (Sports) Takes shrunken versions of THPS 4 and console AW levels. I dislike the expanded flatland manual tricks and touch screen specials because they make the score goals too easy, but some people might like them more than the classic double inputs. 

Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits (Arcade Puzzle) - This is a top tier puzzle game, although not really that different than the PSX version.

Metoes (puzzle) A simple block puzzle game. Instead of relying on a rock-solid physics model, Meteos opts to keep your interest with variety. All 24 planets have Different physics, even though the actual mechanic of swapping vertically to match 3 is the same for all of them. Leads to interesting things like planets with wide/narrow playing fields, high/low gravity, planets where vertical groups have more power than horizontal groups, and planets where full screen clears are discouraged instead of encouraged. 

Super Mario 64 DS (Platformer) - I find a lot of the new things annoying, but it's still a version of a game that's practically mandatory for everyone to play once.

Viva Pinata: Pocket Paradise (Simulation) - Nowhere near as pretty as the PC/Xbox versions of Viva Pinata, but still very appealing. 

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon - It is after all my second favorite FE - normal mode is extremely low difficulty (as much as the original FE1 or FE8) while the five Hard modes range from Hard-Lunatic in other FE games (H2) to it's own level (H4-H5). I enjoy it because it feels like its able to stick within the framework of a stripped down SRPG engine instead of coming close to stealing from non-FE SRPGs (eg command lists / skill system) and yet still provide difficult, adaptive gameplay.

Clubhouse games (board game compilation) - it's one of the few games to make good use of the DS download play for multiplayer. Collecting the stamps in Singleplayer is a good incentive to get you to try out all the games instead of just sticking to your favorites.

Kirby: Canvas Curse (Platformer) - Personally I consider this the best Kirby game in the franchise due to somewhat limiting the infinite aerial mobility he's known for, among other things.

Kirby: SuperStar Ultra (Platformer) - Based around the original Superstar, it contains 3 ultra-short "games" 2 longish ones and minigames. It might play better in co-op but I never dd, and personally, while parts of The Great Cave Offensive and Milky Way Wishes were fun, I didn't really like the game overall. Combat is a bit of a problem when you realize that the game has Invincibility on many attacks *cough* hammer dash *attack*

The Dark Spire - (RPG) An attempt to make an old-school Wizardry style RPG. As a result of this, it is very short and basically has no story. However, combat is much more exciting and difficult than most RPGs on the DS, and the game also has a pretty cool visual style. 

Etrian Odyssey 2 and 3 - (RPG) These dungeon crawlers are the best RPGs on the system when it comes to a mechanics and systems level. Storywise they don't offer much of course. I disclude the first game because it's a little janky in it's balance compared to the other 2.

Wario Ware: touched (minigame compilation) The only Wario Ware game to live up to the original and Twisted imo. 

Mario vs Donkey Kong: Mini Land Mayhem (puzzle) the first DS game had some problems with repetion (boss fights especially). This one is more inventive, and therefoore the better game. None of these 3 are really classics, but I like them.

Grand Theft Auto: China town wars (sandbox) - It's not as super huge as a normal GTA (or Bully) but it's still endless fun to mess around with.

Custom Robo: Arena - (Action) it goes back to the "robots as children's toys" from the n64 era and forgoes the dark story line of the gamecube custom robo. I miss the over the top, hammy charathers a little bit, although this game has a few funny moments in its own right. One upside is that the game is much, much faster to playthrough. I feel like in general, aerial robots got shafted a little bit in this game (although perhaps they were a little TOO good before). I like the "idea" of the combo system, but playing the game for survival is still a heck of a lot easier. I think the AI is slightly smarter than it was on GC but it is still no match for a human (unless you relly gimp yourself) and additionally the AI doesn't get access to broken stuff to compensate as in the GCN. 

Bangai-O spirits - (Arcade) Go to Zera's profile if you really want to know about this game. Personally I picked it up because at the time getting n64 bangai O was prohibititve for me. It's definitely a solid game, but has to be played for score/time because simply completing the levels once isn't that difficult. I kind of miss the prominence that the (bouncing shot) had compared to the first Bangai-O but my favorite couple of the levels are the few specifically designed to encourage or even require it.

Super Dodgeball Brawlers: (sports) Rounding out my personal holy trinity of sports in video games along with mario tennis and NBA Jam, is this thing. It is a truly amazing game, and deserves to return to consoles.

DS ports

Chrono Trigger (RPG) - DS chrono trigger does drastically reduce the difficulty of the game by making manual control of party members the default instead of using AI. Added dungeons are very poorly designed. 

Micro Machines V4 (Racing) - The last stand of the once great franchise. Most people consider genesis V1 or V2 to be the best, but personally my favorite has always been V3, It works fine on the DS, and the super-sprint esque top down view, slipperey physics, unique scoring system, and inventive environments are all there. 

GBA

• Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga-IMO the first one is still the best
  • Metroid Zero Mission-A good remake of the first game with Super Metroid's visuals and mechanics added to it.
  • Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow-I never played Symphony of the Night due to never having a PS1 but I believe this game is just as good. If you like Metroid it plays similarly to it.
  • Megaman Battle Network-My personal favorite series for the GBA. It's overshadowed by the Classic and the X series but the series has this unique charm in its battle system that keeps making me come back to play it to this day.

DS

• Mario Kart DS
  • New Super Mario Bros- Some people say the game is 'simple' or 'easy' compared to the Wii/Wii U/3DS version but I think it's still fun to play through being 'simple' or 'easy'. At least it has unique bosses at the end of each world instead of fighting Koopalings like all the others.
  • Megaman Zero Collection-Has all four Megaman Zero games on one game card. Is much more brutal compared to the X series but has an easy mode if it frustrates you too much and just want to see the story.

GBA

• Super Robot Wars OG1 or 2
  • Mother 3
  • Lunar Legend
  • Final Fantasy 1 + 2
  • Shining Force
  • Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland
  • Not Mario Kart Super Circuit

DS

• Mario and Luigi Partners in Time
  • Pokemon Black 2 or White 2
  • Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing
  • FE Shadow Dragon
  • Okami

19 hours ago, Ronnie said:

18 hours ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

I believe it says Dungeon Masters, since I recognize it from an ad they had when I was a kid.

Yeah it is a pretty good game.

It's YuGiOh Dungeon Dice Monsters.

Edited by fOrEiGn sOUl

All the great titles have already been said, so I'll give my (incredibly niche) personal favorites on the GBA (my DS library is quite small, unfortunately).

Yggdra Union is the mutant agglomeration of Advance Wars, Yugioh, and Fire Emblem, all rolled into one. The mechanics are pretty confusing at first and there are some questionable game design choices, but it's still one of my favorite games of all time.

Riviera: The Promised Land is a more mainstream traditional RPG, though it borrows from Fire Emblem's limited use items. A lot of the fun in both games is collecting all of these weird items that are either worthless or game-breaking.

GBA

-Gunstar Heroes GBA

-Riviera The Promised Land

-Summoned Night 1&2 aren't horrible

-Shining Force GBA

-Final Fantasy Tactics

-Pokemon Mystery Dungeon

-Super Robot Wars 1&2, the American released ones are pretty fun.

-The Metroid games for the GBA were really fun too

DS

-Radiant Historia. 

-I forget the name, but there was a game called Room 712, or something like that

-Another one I've kinda forgotten about, but I think it was something like "999". Some kinda "Saw" movies meets visual novel type stuff

-Pokemon Mystery Dungeon