What is your opinion of Nowi in terms of personality and characterization?

Erureido

Do you like Nowi, personality and characterization-wise?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Nowi, personality and characterization-wise?

• Yes
    • No
    • In-between
    • I don't care for her at all

23 hours ago, Soleater said:

Honestly?  I may be just reading too hard into things, but if it's there, I love the subtly of Nowi's character as a whole - acts like a child, acts ignorant, but seems to understand the gravity of her situation - she's going to outlive everyone in the army.  Her family is dead, and she's probably going to end up all alone someday, but she tries to keep a happy, blissful visage because she values the happiness of those around her more than her own.  She's just MMMMMMMMMMMM really good

When I saw the name of the topic the first thing that hit me is something like this. She acts as one of the cheerier and more fun-loving characters but I'm sure it's just a front for how scared she is and is really just a distraction to avoid looking back on some harsh realities she's had to deal with in her life. Tharja, Donnel and Vaike all share a support or two with her that shed a bit of light on why she might want to hide her feelings.

Whilst she's not the first character I'd find appealing regarding characterization, she's got a unique way of dealing with things and is most likely there to help relieve stress from the tired troops or provide an occasional nugget of wisdom so I can't really fault her for that.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Light Strategist said:

When I saw the name of the topic the first thing that hit me is something like this. She acts as one of the cheerier and more fun-loving characters but I'm sure it's just a front for how scared she is and is really just a distraction to avoid looking back on some harsh realities she's had to deal with in her life. Tharja, Donnel and Vaike all share a support or two with her that shed a bit of light on why she might want to hide her feelings.

Whilst she's not the first character I'd find appealing regarding characterization, she's got a unique way of dealing with things and is most likely there to help relieve stress from the tired troops or provide an occasional nugget of wisdom so I can't really fault her for that.

^^^ Agreed!  Not to mention, I'm not sure where it was mentioned, but I'm pretty sure she game to Ylisse because she noticed the activity of the Grimleal - which immediately tells me she has a sense of duty, contrary to popular belief within the army; this also explains WHY she joins your army beyond just wanting protection.

6 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

I kinda wish she had a support with Tiki.

Missed opportunity there.

The closest thing for Nowi and Tiki having a support is their conversation in the Harvest Scramble dlc.

Spoiler

Nowi
Wow, look at all these stands and shops! Let's check 'em out, Tiki!

Tiki
We haven't the time, dear. We're in the middle of combat.

Nowi
Aww, come on! Just for a little bit! It'll only take a few minutes. For us, that's like a fraction of a fraction of a percent of a blink of an eye!

Tiki
Hmm. I suppose it does feel that way at times, but still... I keep forgetting that you're the second oldest member of this army, after me. Even as another manakete, there are times it slips my mind.

Nowi
Oh, will you look at these ornaments! Aren't they cute?! A flower, a heart... Ooh, they even have a dragon! And look at this one. It's a blue star! Just lovely...

Tiki
Yes... A star.

Nowi
Hmm? Don't you like stars, Tiki?

Tiki
Oh, no. I'm quite fond of them. Just...looking up at them, I sometimes can't help but think them terribly lonely.

Nowi
Lonely? Why?

Tiki
Have you ever heard it said that people join the stars when they die?

Nowi
I don't think so, no. Do they? Is that really what happens?

Tiki
According to some, anyway.

Nowi
So Chrom and Robin will become stars too?

Tiki
When their time comes, perhaps. That's why I feel a heaviness when I gaze up at night. I'm trapped down here on earth, when all those I've loved are way up in the sky. So far away, beyond my reach... I wonder if they ever look down at me too.

Nowi
Gosh, that's so wonderful!

Tiki
Wonderful?

Nowi
Yeah! Being able to see them every single night? It's like you never lost them at all!

Tiki
Wha—

Nowi
Good-byes come too soon with people, and it's always sad to see friends go. But once they're stars, you can spend years and years together! Hundreds... Thousands! If anything could take the sting out of saying good-bye, that's it!

Tiki
...... Yes... Right above us, every night, for thousands of years... I wonder why I never thought to see it that way before.

Nowi
Tiki? Wh-what's wrong? Are you crying? Did I make you sad? I'm so sorry!

Tiki
No... I'm happy, Nowi. I'm happy. I was always afraid of starlight. It was a reminder of every time I'd been left behind. Of everyone I failed to save. But not tonight. Not ever again, thanks to you. Thank you, Nowi.

Nowi
Huh? First you're crying, now you're all smiley... You're pretty weird today, Tiki!

Nowi > Tiki

Tiki
Once we return from the Outrealms, will you join me in stargazing, Nowi?

Nowi
Sure, I don't mind, but...didn't you say that stars make you sad?

Tiki
Yes, until now. But I have a feeling that's all in the past, thanks to you.

Nowi
Really? Well, I don't know what I did, but if it's something you want to do, I do too! Plus, that way, even if you get lonely, I'll be right there with you! It's a foolproof plan!

Tiki
Indeed. You're a brilliant strategist.

Nowi
Hee hee! Once it gets dark out, we'll have to hunt for the spot with the best view!

Tiki
As it happens, I already know of a place. The stars shine so beautifully there. It's too steep to climb for most people, but for a pair of dragons, it's no trouble at all.

Nowi
Ooh! Then it'll be our secret spot—just the two of us!

Tiki
Ha ha, I suppose it will.

Nowi
Yaay! I get to have a secret spot with Tiki! I'm excited already! Gosh, I hope night comes soon!

Tiki
The nights have grown colder lately. Are you sure you'll be warm enough like that?

Nowi
Yup! I'll be just fine!

Tiki
And you won't fall asleep along the way?

Nowi
I almost never fall asleep while flying! Besides, I slept in extra late this morning! But, um...if it gets TOO late, I might nod off a bit...

Tiki
Well, then it's a good thing I'll be there to wake you. So now that's decided, let's end this fight. It seems still more Risen have arrived.

Nowi
Right! Just watch. I'll fight harder than ever! And thanks, Tiki! I'm really, reeeally looking forward to tonight!

Tiki
As am I, Nowi... As am I. So many lonely nights, I looked up at the stars and wept... All alone, head full of faces I would never see again. Those dark hours were torture. But I'm no longer alone, and I've shed my last tears of solitude. How could I ever be alone surrounded by my new friends, watched over by the old...? Mar-Mar... Friends... I'm coming to see you tonight. Shine extra bright so I'll know where to find you. I'll be waving back as hard as I can...

Tiki is a very melancholic person in Awakening. 

5 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

The closest thing for Nowi and Tiki having a support is their conversation in the Harvest Scramble dlc.

Hide contents

Nowi
Wow, look at all these stands and shops! Let's check 'em out, Tiki!

Tiki
We haven't the time, dear. We're in the middle of combat.

Nowi
Aww, come on! Just for a little bit! It'll only take a few minutes. For us, that's like a fraction of a fraction of a percent of a blink of an eye!

Tiki
Hmm. I suppose it does feel that way at times, but still... I keep forgetting that you're the second oldest member of this army, after me. Even as another manakete, there are times it slips my mind.

Nowi
Oh, will you look at these ornaments! Aren't they cute?! A flower, a heart... Ooh, they even have a dragon! And look at this one. It's a blue star! Just lovely...

Tiki
Yes... A star.

Nowi
Hmm? Don't you like stars, Tiki?

Tiki
Oh, no. I'm quite fond of them. Just...looking up at them, I sometimes can't help but think them terribly lonely.

Nowi
Lonely? Why?

Tiki
Have you ever heard it said that people join the stars when they die?

Nowi
I don't think so, no. Do they? Is that really what happens?

Tiki
According to some, anyway.

Nowi
So Chrom and Robin will become stars too?

Tiki
When their time comes, perhaps. That's why I feel a heaviness when I gaze up at night. I'm trapped down here on earth, when all those I've loved are way up in the sky. So far away, beyond my reach... I wonder if they ever look down at me too.

Nowi
Gosh, that's so wonderful!

Tiki
Wonderful?

Nowi
Yeah! Being able to see them every single night? It's like you never lost them at all!

Tiki
Wha—

Nowi
Good-byes come too soon with people, and it's always sad to see friends go. But once they're stars, you can spend years and years together! Hundreds... Thousands! If anything could take the sting out of saying good-bye, that's it!

Tiki
...... Yes... Right above us, every night, for thousands of years... I wonder why I never thought to see it that way before.

Nowi
Tiki? Wh-what's wrong? Are you crying? Did I make you sad? I'm so sorry!

Tiki
No... I'm happy, Nowi. I'm happy. I was always afraid of starlight. It was a reminder of every time I'd been left behind. Of everyone I failed to save. But not tonight. Not ever again, thanks to you. Thank you, Nowi.

Nowi
Huh? First you're crying, now you're all smiley... You're pretty weird today, Tiki!

Nowi > Tiki

Tiki
Once we return from the Outrealms, will you join me in stargazing, Nowi?

Nowi
Sure, I don't mind, but...didn't you say that stars make you sad?

Tiki
Yes, until now. But I have a feeling that's all in the past, thanks to you.

Nowi
Really? Well, I don't know what I did, but if it's something you want to do, I do too! Plus, that way, even if you get lonely, I'll be right there with you! It's a foolproof plan!

Tiki
Indeed. You're a brilliant strategist.

Nowi
Hee hee! Once it gets dark out, we'll have to hunt for the spot with the best view!

Tiki
As it happens, I already know of a place. The stars shine so beautifully there. It's too steep to climb for most people, but for a pair of dragons, it's no trouble at all.

Nowi
Ooh! Then it'll be our secret spot—just the two of us!

Tiki
Ha ha, I suppose it will.

Nowi
Yaay! I get to have a secret spot with Tiki! I'm excited already! Gosh, I hope night comes soon!

Tiki
The nights have grown colder lately. Are you sure you'll be warm enough like that?

Nowi
Yup! I'll be just fine!

Tiki
And you won't fall asleep along the way?

Nowi
I almost never fall asleep while flying! Besides, I slept in extra late this morning! But, um...if it gets TOO late, I might nod off a bit...

Tiki
Well, then it's a good thing I'll be there to wake you. So now that's decided, let's end this fight. It seems still more Risen have arrived.

Nowi
Right! Just watch. I'll fight harder than ever! And thanks, Tiki! I'm really, reeeally looking forward to tonight!

Tiki
As am I, Nowi... As am I. So many lonely nights, I looked up at the stars and wept... All alone, head full of faces I would never see again. Those dark hours were torture. But I'm no longer alone, and I've shed my last tears of solitude. How could I ever be alone surrounded by my new friends, watched over by the old...? Mar-Mar... Friends... I'm coming to see you tonight. Shine extra bright so I'll know where to find you. I'll be waving back as hard as I can...

Tiki is a very melancholic person in Awakening. 

Oh cool. I missed that one.

"The nights have grown colder lately. Are you sure you'll be warm enough like that?"

lol.

Lowkey: even Tiki thinks her outfit is ridiculous. 

It's natural childish behavior to not want to be treated like a child. I like how she's portrayed in that respect. However, I wish she wasn't in Awakening where anyone can marry her, as it's sort of off-putting. If she were more like Myrrh or something, it wouldn't be a problem.

10 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

Oh cool. I missed that one.

"The nights have grown colder lately. Are you sure you'll be warm enough like that?"

lol.

Lowkey: even Tiki thinks her outfit is ridiculous. 

Well then you probably missed the associated artwork that went with it too.

latest?cb=20160503220004

I really wish that convo was a proper support. Tiki desperately needs support and pairing the two of them together just seems kind of obvious.

I don't use Nowi in battle that often so I haven't unlocked all her supports yet, but from what I've seen I think she's okay. Even though she acts childish and a little annoying, I also get the impression that she's more mature than she lets on.

I'm okay with her personality, but since she's the umpteenth loli dragon, that kind of turns me off. Also, her outfit would be better if it was a swimsuit rather than what she normally wears. :/

31 minutes ago, Tharja123 said:

I married Nowi in my playthrough but one of my most favorite things about nowi is that she knows more than she lets on like her battle convo with Gharnef 

nowi smart.jpg

Gotta love how Nowi shows she's not as dumb as others thing. 

Yeah, she has the maturity of a child, since manaketes age mentally as they do physically, but she has been around for a thousand years.

I really like Nowi mostly because she doesn't try to be serious. She is serious at times, and her concept is pretty dark in general because of that whole outliving everyone thing, but she isn't acting super dark and mysterious or anything like that

Basically, she has Dragon problems like Ninan but she doesn't drop nearly as many "..." and "My lord Elliwood!"s into everyday conversations

I always liked her. Her personality seems a bit too heavy handed with the childish aspects, and I wish they let the more "mature" side of Nowi out a bit more, especially in supports. But she was a good character imo, and is easily my favorite "manakete" in the series alongside Tiki. If we include dragons as a whole it shifts a bit, but still.

I really like nowi. I mean yeah she's like what the 10th dragon loli in this series but she is a decent enough character and while yes she acts childish a lot of the time she does show some signs of genuine maturity from time to time. Honestly though what I love most about her is her name. Her japanese name is nono and her english name, nowi, is supposed to be pronounced "no-wee" as in like "no way". As someone who has watched so much anime with as much loli sexualition to fill a courthouse I find that extremely hilarious. It's just funny to me that even the game raises an eyebrow at you for romancing her. 

7 hours ago, Otts486 said:

I really like nowi. I mean yeah she's like what the 10th dragon loli in this series but she is a decent enough character and while yes she acts childish a lot of the time she does show some signs of genuine maturity from time to time. Honestly though what I love most about her is her name. Her japanese name is nono and her english name, nowi, is supposed to be pronounced "no-wee" as in like "no way". As someone who has watched so much anime with as much loli sexualition to fill a courthouse I find that extremely hilarious. It's just funny to me that even the game raises an eyebrow at you for romancing her. 

Only the fourth actually. Though if we really stretch the term, I suppose we could count Kurthnaga and thus call Nowi the fifth.

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

Only the fourth actually. Though if we really stretch the term, I suppose we could count Kurthnaga and thus call Nowi the fifth.

...How on earth would Kurthnaga count as a loli...?  He's not female, and isn't super shota either.  

Did you mean Nils?  He's not loli, but is pretty shota, unlike Kurthnaga.

to answer the thread: Nowi is one of very few things I actually like about Awakening.  She's pretty easily my favorite female character in it.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

11 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

...How on earth would Kurthnaga count as a loli...?  He's not female, and isn't super shota either.  

Did you mean Nils?  He's not loli, but is pretty shota, unlike Kurthnaga.

to answer the thread: Nowi is one of very few things I actually like about Awakening.  She's pretty easily my favorite female character in it.

Hey, I said if we really stretch it. Kurthnaga is taking the role as the young, but powerful royal dragon. Nils and Ninian are sort of outside that archtype given how their draconic nature is pretty underplayed and only plot based.

Edited by Jotari

On 5/3/2018 at 10:50 AM, Tharja123 said:

I married Nowi in my playthrough but one of my most favorite things about nowi is that she knows more than she lets on like her battle convo with Gharnef 

nowi smart.jpg

This is why I adore Nowi.

It's these brief flashes of true maturity that make her really stand out to me - yeah, as a Manakete she doesn't mature as quickly as humans do, but she's clearly aware of the nuances of human society and self-aware of how she comes off, so while she may still be considered a child by dragon standards, she's definitely mature by human standards, and I love how she makes that clear in moments like these ^^

Edited by Soleater

10 hours ago, Jotari said:

Hey, I said if we really stretch it. Kurthnaga is taking the role as the young, but powerful royal dragon. Nils and Ninian are sort of outside that archtype given how their draconic nature is pretty underplayed and only plot based.

The only one of the lolis to be royalty was Tiki as far as I'm aware... 

But yeah, I was just trying to figure out how you were stretching it.  Which I guess just shows how much of a stretch it is haha.

7 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

The only one of the lolis to be royalty was Tiki as far as I'm aware... 

But yeah, I was just trying to figure out how you were stretching it.  Which I guess just shows how much of a stretch it is haha.

Well perhaps royal is the wrong term. But like, important. Tiki and Fae are Divine Dragons, with Fae being the only dragon capable of transforming still living in Arcadia. Myrrh is a little more obscure given we don't know how manakete society is in Magvel, it seems like it doesn't exist that all, but she's still put forth as a rather important entity, being called the Great Dragon (even though that was obviously Morva). Kurthnaga is a male extension of that idea, being a young member of the Black Dragon tribe, the best most super awesome of the laguz. If anything, Nowi actually sort of bucks that trend by being relatively unimportant in terms of the plot and actually being acquired super early compared to the other characters.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Well perhaps royal is the wrong term. But like, important. Tiki and Fae are Divine Dragons, with Fae being the only dragon capable of transforming still living in Arcadia. Myrrh is a little more obscure given we don't know how manakete society is in Magvel, it seems like it doesn't exist that all, but she's still put forth as a rather important entity, being called the Great Dragon (even though that was obviously Morva). Kurthnaga is a male extension of that idea, being a young member of the Black Dragon tribe, the best most super awesome of the laguz. If anything, Nowi actually sort of bucks that trend by being relatively unimportant in terms of the plot and actually being acquired super early compared to the other characters.

Considering that Nowi, Tiki, and Nah all share the same general shape for the dragon forms, are Tiki and Fae really teh only Divine Dragons?  I know it was never confirmed in Awakening what species of dragon Nowi was (heck the official manga had her shooting ice breath), but she does share a lot of design similarities to Tiki; and Nah shares a lot of the same powers, being able to hear Naga, and Naga!Tiki in the Future Past DLC in the best ending.  And as for Nowi not being an important Manakete to the plot...yeah, tbh, but Tiki sort of took that role away from Nowi anyway (even coming in later in the game like other Manaketes).

16 hours ago, Soleater said:

Considering that Nowi, Tiki, and Nah all share the same general shape for the dragon forms, are Tiki and Fae really teh only Divine Dragons?  I know it was never confirmed in Awakening what species of dragon Nowi was (heck the official manga had her shooting ice breath), but she does share a lot of design similarities to Tiki; and Nah shares a lot of the same powers, being able to hear Naga, and Naga!Tiki in the Future Past DLC in the best ending.  And as for Nowi not being an important Manakete to the plot...yeah, tbh, but Tiki sort of took that role away from Nowi anyway (even coming in later in the game like other Manaketes).

I don't consider Tiki all that important in Awakening either. They absolutely wasted her potential.

Edited by Jotari

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

I don't consider Tiki all that important in Awakening either. They absolutely wasted her potential.

How so?

5 hours ago, Soleater said:

How so?

Because her role in the plot could have been replaced by a sign that said "Btw, you should collect some gemstones."

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

Because her role in the plot could have been replaced by a sign that said "Btw, you should collect some gemstones."

Eh, I suppose they could have made Say'ri more important by having her explain it rather than Tiki (if she would have known), but I think that it makes sense for Tiki to be there in the game anyway, so why not use her?

Plus, she adds a startling contrast to Nowi, and I think that's worth it.