Last Promise-related permission.

DoctorSpacebar

I recently started working with FEBuilder. After losing a bunch of progress on a simpler hack I was making for FE7 when expanding the item graphics table made staves crash the game, I'm thinking of using an existing hack, The Last Promise by Blazer, as a base for my next project. Its item graphics table is already expanded, and I don't want to lose entire chapters of progress because I want to give the axe guy the Hatchet from FE8.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do as far as permissions. If this hack were to be completed, I would most assuredly credit Blazer, as well as basically everyone else on Last Promise's Credits page (and might I add, Blind Archer's Halberdier is so cool that I plan to have two of them as town guards on the prologue map), but I don't know what else would need to be done or if I'd even be allowed to do this. For all intents and purposes, it'd be a completely separate game from Last Promise, with completely different characters, story, and maps.

I'd like to get permission related things worked out before I get too far into development, and I figured this was the best place to ask questions.

I'm well aware now that this is a terrible idea, and will not be doing this. Please do not bite my head off.

Edited by DoctorSpacebar
I'm well aware now that this is a terrible idea, and will not be doing this. Please do not bite my head off.

As far as permissions go: I doubt Blazer'd let you do it.

As far as logic goes: This is a dumb idea. If you're having trouble repointing and expanding something, editing an existing hack is going to make things harder for you. Things won't be where or how you'd expect them to be. Many resources and tutorials simply won't work. You wouldn't buy a new car to replace a flat tire.

I can safely say that doing that would be a bad idea. A really bad idea. Before even getting into permissions, TLP is quite an old hack. It was developed with old tools, and those tools were far from stable.  Basing a hack on a hack would cause all sorts of mysterious problems as assembly modifications would clash with another, pointers would get messed up, and things would just randomly break. Even if you tried to use some tools, most of the important tables would already have been moved, leaving either a useless duplicate table or random unrelated data in its place.

Speaking of permission, Blazer no longer actively hacks, and has not done so for a long time. But I don't think he'd be too pleased with the idea someone else is using his hack as a base for some other hack. Just don't do it. Use a clean rom, and you won't have to deal with quite so much Feditor-induced instability. If you wanna give an axe guy the hatchet, just replace some other icon you won't be using. It's a lot less painful.

All right, thanks for the heads up. After trying to get a village to work properly, I can definitely see Darrman's point. Thanks.

EDIT: Now where's that Mark Solved button...

EDIT 2: ...actually, where is the Mark Solved button? I'm looking everywhere on the page and can't find the "Mark Solved" button that's mentioned in the announcement pinned to the forum.

Edited by DoctorSpacebar