Nintendo Switch Is Now The Fastest Selling Console in US In the First 10 Months

DragonLord

It's nice, but you could extrapolate a time period when somethings doing well to mean anything - the Playstation 4 sold over a million in 24 hours which hasn't been matched - the Switch sold about 500,000 in the first week - but it remains in question if it will do as well as the Playstation 2 long term which is still the best selling console.

Momentum is a nice thing, though, because it was the reason the Wii had such a high demand initially (with little supply, as I recall) that continued to doing well long-term.

Back when the Wii era they said no console would beat the Wii in terms of the fastest selling console in North America, but the Nintendo Switch proved them wrong. I guess the reason why the Switch sold so fast is because it had so many features compared to the Wii U and 3DS. Also you had to wait a long time to get one because they sold out very fast. And that's where the scalpers boomed. The scalpers charged up to $3000 for them. If the sales keep up at this pace, the Switch may even sell more units than the Wii.

On 1/4/2018 at 8:42 PM, Tryhard said:

It's nice, but you could extrapolate a time period when somethings doing well to mean anything - the Playstation 4 sold over a million in 24 hours which hasn't been matched - the Switch sold about 500,000 in the first week - but it remains in question if it will do as well as the Playstation 2 long term which is still the best selling console.

Momentum is a nice thing, though, because it was the reason the Wii had such a high demand initially (with little supply, as I recall) that continued to doing well long-term.

Well...

Still it has a long way to go i guess though I hope it does outdo the PS2 sales so Nintendo can be the true king! XD

5 hours ago, Harvey said:

Well...

Still it has a long way to go i guess though I hope it does outdo the PS2 sales so Nintendo can be the true king! XD

That's partly what I mean, because the PS2 didn't necessarily burst out of the gate to my recollection (even though it probably was still impressive for the time). And yet that only mentions Japan. As far as I know, when the PS2 was released everywhere else after Japan in October 2000, by December 2001 it had sold 25 million units worldwide. So it sold about 19 million worldwide in this timeframe of the first year after US/PAL release, and that's not including the sales that Japan had already had the console out for some time before it was release over seas. The Switch is estimated to sell about 14 million worldwide in its first year after worldwide release.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2_sales

Not to discredit what the Switch could potentially do in future, but the Playstation 2 was in the spot where it was still being picked up well even after its successor was launched.

Between March 2007 and July 2008 (about 16 months), 7 years after the release of the PS2, it was estimated to still be selling ~23 million units worldwide over that timeframe when its successor, the PS3 was already out. Not even the Wii could match this longterm attention, which sold the bulk of its most recent total sales, 95 million, in about the first five years of release. The Wii U then came out the following year.

It's hard to guarantee consistent sales and a rising installed player base because a console needs to be constantly supported years after its release. The PS2 also had the benefit of being easy access to a DVD player, where DVDs had become the standard at the time.

Not to knock the Switch, but I don't think it will reach 150 million in its consoles lifetime. I think it would do well to match what the Wii sold, which is still one of the most sold consoles in history. Even comparable to the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 would be a drastic step up from how the Wii U did.

Edited by Tryhard

Regardless I think its great news for the N.  While they do screw up from time to time I really do think the way they are handling the Switch is moving in the right direction.  Hopefully these sales figures encourages Nintendo to keep drinking whatever is in the waters there.