Nintendo Direct Mini 2018-01-11

Thane

Good thing that warning about FE Switch not showing up in the Direct helped lower my expectations.  Bleh.

At least Kirby: Star Allies looks nice, as always.  Gotta love how they literally turned Ado/Adeleine into a Copy Ability.

Still, I'll keep holding out for that supposed FE Switch news later this month.  *sigh*

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad I didn't get TWEWY for DS. I was about to buy it but now it can wait.

My friend got me Hyrule Warriors for Christmas and now I feel bad because there's a better version coming out.

I'm excited for the SNK Heroines game but I'm not too happy about it being a one-button fighter.

Ys VIII on Switch is cool. It's like having the PS4 and PS Vita versions in 1 lol.

Luigi being reduced to a minigame NPC instead of a playable character in Odyssey bothers me.

I know not everyone will share this opinion but I am so happy for Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition. The only disappointment is that there doesn't seem to be any new content other than costumes. I was hoping to see Urbosa and Revali.

Dark Souls Remastered is also pretty cool. I own the trilogy on Steam already but they're some of my favorite games ever so I could get it on Switch for the right price.

I'm a little surprised this was the direct in the end. No announcement ahead of time, but I guess there wasn't anything major in it, so maybe in a month or so they'll have a bigger one with more substantial announcements.

3 hours ago, Tryhard said:

I believe a Bandai Namco representative already said recently there was no current plans for a Switch version of Soulcalibur 6, but it honestly wouldn't be unexpected and the leaker who predicted the game in the first place along with other predictions that seem to be mostly correct said that it would be the case but likely a delayed release from the others. I think it may be some more time before we see an announcement like that (if I'm to believe this Namco guy lol).

I believe they also said that Switch dev kits weren't a thing when they started SC6, but that they are interested in the console. There was not one in production at the time, but they left the door open for it.

25 minutes ago, Slumber said:

The funny thing is, Ys has been going on longer than Tales of. I played Oath of Felghana, and that was really good. 

Also, I wouldn't get hopes up too high about TWEWY. It was the closest thing to a button masher on the DS. People are going to fuck their Switches up in handheld mode. I also thought the tone of the game was just awful. It felt like some edgy Kingdom Hearts nonsense(Ironic, since the TWEWY characters were in KH). You might like it, plenty of people did, but I found it to be one of the most overhyped games I've played. A bunch of things about it rubbed me the wrong way. 

"Must... fight... emo urges..."
Is that bad it's the main thing I remember about that game ?

Honnestly, I couldn't totally get into the story back then, but it wasn't a bad game by any mean. And the music is pretty cool, obviously.

Out of nowhere.....

Spoiler

So, TWEWY gets another port. Still want a new title. Also it came out a decade ago. Holy crap they're right, I am too old. Looks more interesting than what the iOS port did, but I wonder how extensive the new scenario is and if it finally hints at a continuation of some sort.

Heard about the Pokken DLC elsewhere. Wave 2 has Blastoise and Mew/Celebi. If I had it that'd be neat.

Only one word for the Kirby game: Spider-Kirb.

Hyrule Warriors gets a port. Snore.

Mario gets a tennis game. Snore.

Ys exists too. Don't care personally. It has a giant enemy crab though.

Mario Odyssey gets an update. Doesn't sound bad, but not a Mario fan.

SNK Heroines..... Well that's it, Nintendo knows it has that audience if that snapshot mode is any indication. Welp.

That Mario + Rabbids game has DK. I want so many jokes about this please.

Payday 2 has a new character.... I guess that's interesting if you want that game.

Finally FE..... wait no this is Fe from EA. Nice style to it though, see if the gameplay holds up first.

Celeste also gives easy mode stuff. Well that's nice of them.

A DK port. Nice if you didn't have the WiiU (I think?) version but still, not interested.

Dark Souls also got spoiled. Something something praise the sun, something something I am done.

TL:DR: Snore. No 3DS, lots of stuff I'm uninterested it.

14 minutes ago, Tamanoir said:

And the music is pretty cool, obviously.

You know, if the music in Ys 8 is Xenoblade-levels of good, then Ys 8 will be placed higher on my priority list. 

10 minutes ago, Dayni said:

No 3DS

Yeah, i found it weird that no 3DS announcements were made. We are getting Kirby Battle Royale, but Europe and Japan already have it. So there's really no new 3DS games this year.....yet. First party ones anyway. 

Speaking of absent games, is Pikmin 4 still alive? I don't care about Pikmin but i honestly feel like they just canned the game.

I will buy TWEWY again, might buy HW since I skipped the original, and may buy Dark Souls/Fe at some point. 

I hope we dont have to wait too long for a normal Direct. I was really expecting FE news!

44 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah, that won't work for me. My PC wouldn't be able to run it. 

You sure about that? Check the minimum requirements. Some of the games are fairly old and not terribly resource intensive. Though admittedly those have somewhat different gameplay to Ys 8, even the ones that aren't using the bump system.

Also, I can confirm what others have said about the OST. Falcom soundtracks are always top tier.

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

You know, if the music in Ys 8 is Xenoblade-levels of good, then Ys 8 will be placed higher on my priority list. 

Field song

Boss Theme

Final Boss Theme

Here's some tracks from Ys VIII so you can get an idea of how amazing the soundtrack is. The Ys VIII final boss theme was played during one of the trailers so it's not spoiler-y.

Edited by Ronnie

12 minutes ago, Robert of Normandy said:

You sure about that? Check the minimum requirements. Some of the games are fairly old and not terribly resource intensive. Though admittedly those have somewhat different gameplay to Ys 8, even the ones that aren't using the bump system.

I mean, if there are Ys games that dropped around the N64/PS1 to Xbox/PS2/GameCube era (which there are if the series is older than Tales), then i could probably play it on my PC. I know my PC is able to run Path of Radiance, albeit, with some framerate drops and mild audio issues. Which reminds me, i still need to finish that.

I'd also need to get a proper controller. I could sync up my Joy-Cons to my PC but that takes forever. Unless the Ys games on Steam let you use keyboard controls but that's probably optimal.

9 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

The Ys VIII final boss theme was played during one of the trailers so it's not spoiler-y.

Nah, don't worry about that. I don't consider final boss themes to be spoilers unless the spoiler is in the title of the song. 

Edited by Armagon

Definitely didn't expect a smaller scale Direct, but that one was pretty packed. Guess they didn't think any of these announcements individually were all that huge.

• Only ever played the first Ys, but that game looks cool. I'll have to check out some reviews since the game is already out on PS4.
  • TWEWY I'm told is pretty divisive, or would be if more people played it. But I'm glad a game like that gets another shot. If nothing else, it's cool that Square Enix is publishing something on Switch. And this is probably the most sure buy for me among this list outside of Kirby.
  • Mario Tennis Aces could be the third Mario Tennis game in three years if you count the Mario Sports Mix on 3DS last year. That's really dumb, but I'm glad to hear this new one has elements from Power Tennis, as I'm always hearing that's the most complete experience.
  • Celeste is the only indie game shown off, and that's kind of the biggest let down for me. There's so many cool indie games to show off. Including Darkest Dungeon coming in a week.
  • Oh, and my guess for Wii U port/Deluxe was totally Super Mario Maker. Hyrule Warriors and DKC are cool, but those are C and B tier choices in my imo. Also, characters have 3 health instead of 2.

And of course I was definitely hoping for Fire Emblem. There's still hope for another Direct later in the month, but I'm not going to count on it. It's hard to rate this Mini against other Directs, but I rate it a zesty 6.8/10 or about the same quality as the average Direct during Wii U era. The new games shown weren't that enticing, the wii u ports are dull since I own them (but still heartily recommend Tropical Freeze even if it's made easier), Kirby Star Allies wasn't treated like the incredible game it's going to be, and there wasn't enough indie filler. 

I was genuinely taken by surprise by the Hyrule Warriors announcement. Haha. I said not to long ago it was unlikely it was going to be ported and now it's coming in the spring. I am a little disappointed we didn't get anything on FE  Switch. I kind of have the feeling they're not done yet though.. or maybe it's just hopeful thinking. Haha.

1 minute ago, Glennstavos said:

TWEWY I'm told is pretty divisive, or would be if more people played it. But I'm glad a game like that gets another shot. If nothing else, it's cool that Square Enix is publishing something on Switch. And this is probably the most sure buy for me among this list outside of Kirby.

TWEWY's plot can seem quite a bit edgy and over the top and silly... it is but I still liked it (I was 16 getting it though, so take that as you will). The actual setting's really good though and the music is as well. The gameplay has also varied from version to version based on the hardware. DS had 2-screen fighting with the stylus and directional buttons (or face buttons for the lefties), iOS pretty much ditched the second character entirely and I can't tell exactly what this port will do right now, though Neku has stayed pretty consistent across all of them.

I liked the original DS version, though it's probably going to feel it's age a bit here. The new content is where I start wondering.

1 minute ago, Glennstavos said:

Celeste is the only indie game shown off, and that's kind of the biggest let down for me. There's so many cool indie games to show off. Including Darkest Dungeon coming in a week.

They also showed Fe, though the indie status of it is debatable because EA are publishers.

Knowing that this was a Direct Mini it's not too surprising that FE Switch was excluded, they probably thought it was "too important" to be properly announced in a Direct mostly about ports and DLC. Though I'm more happy about the Sunshine outfit in Odyssey than I really should be...

21 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Speaking of absent games, is Pikmin 4 still alive? I don't care about Pikmin but i honestly feel like they just canned the game.

Nah, Miyamoto just likes to take his sweet time methinks. It took forever for us to get any information on Pikmin 3 besides "it exists".

As someone who owns both a wii u and a ps4, this mini direct was disappointing.

that said, portable dark souls is HUGE for me. Will probably get it, since i only have the ps3 version.

i’ve been getting into Falcom lately, so Ys VIII is also on my radar. Their games aren’t usually the most technically advanced, so I don’t think there will be much difference between how the ps4 and switch versions look, which means the switch version would be better due to portability, so i might get it there as well.

Edited by Nobody

There are so many games I want for Switch... Which I won’t get until next Christmas. Though, I must admit how many games are getting a port for Switch. Can’t they just leave games on their console of Origin? It’s like there trying to hide the Wii U and Nintendo DS existence.

Edited by ZeManaphy

22 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I mean, if there are Ys games that dropped around the N64/PS1 to Xbox/PS2/GameCube era (which there are if the series is older than Tales), then i could probably play it on my PC. I know my PC is able to run Path of Radiance, albeit, with some framerate drops and mild audio issues. Which reminds me, i still need to finish that.

I'd also need to get a proper controller. I could sync up my Joy-Cons to my PC but that takes forever. Unless the Ys games on Steam let you use keyboard controls but that's probably optimal.

Yeah, there are. Ys 6 was a PS2 game and Oath in Felghana/Origin are based on its engine. And Ys Seven(which is closer in gameplay to 8) was a PSP game originally. A controller is definitely recommended IMO, but the games do support keyboard and mouse controls.

3 hours ago, Azure Sen said:

As for FE, theprinceofiris on twitter has been hinting that FE's getting its own separate Direct next week, so that might be a thing to keep an eye out for.

I think there's a small misunderstanding here, so I'd like to try and clear it up to ensure that we can all be on the same page about it.

It's true that I've been talking about FE Switch lately, but the specific idea that it will have its own separate Direct is not something I've been trying to hint at, or that there is a new FE Direct coming.

More news will be coming from Nintendo in the next few days in the form of another Nintendo Direct, and it should include the new Fire Emblem for Nintendo Switch.

Edited by Prince of Iris

Well looks like my cash is safe for now, I might get Ys and Dark Souls if I get bored but they are not top priority.  I am sad that there was no Fire Emblem news at all, I am hoping for a Fire Emblem direct at the end of the month/start of next month.

7 minutes ago, Prince of Iris said:

I think there's a small misunderstanding here, so I'd like to try and clear it up to ensure that we can all be on the same page about it.

It's true that I've been talking about FE Switch lately, but the specific idea that it will have its own separate Direct is not something I've been trying to hint at, or that there is a new FE Direct coming.

More news will be coming from Nintendo in the next few days in the form of another Nintendo Direct, and it should include the new Fire Emblem for Nintendo Switch.

Awesome, can't wait!

11 minutes ago, Prince of Iris said:

I had a feeling this wasn't all Nintendo had for January. As the month when Nintendo should be trying to sell its console for the whole year, it struck me odd that there was only ONE relatively minor original game announced(Mario Aces), with the rest being ports, DLC, or multiplatforms. It seemed by and large to be a direct dedicated to showing off that the Switch is still going to get strong third party supports, and pulling some gems people loved form older consoles and bringing them to the Switch.

I also don't recall ever getting a Direct Mini that showed off multiple games like this before, so the format didn't seem quite right.

Edited by Slumber

5 minutes ago, Prince of Iris said:

This is a possibility I wanted to bring up in my previous post but also wanted to do more research on before sounding too speculative.

Most "Mini" or "Micro Directs" usually share a month with a larger Direct. But Direct Minis themselves have not been the norm since 2013 and earlier, so I didn't want to bring that up as reliable precedent. 

39 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

If you didn't tell me that was a field theme, i would've thought it was a battle theme.

But yeah, these songs are great. I got an SNES-era JRPG vibe from them. What i mean by that is, it's like the game's OST was originally from a SNES game, and then they remastered the songs for the modern generation. That's the feel i got. Great songs and i'd definitely consider these songs to be on the same level as Xenoblade.

18 minutes ago, Robert of Normandy said:

Yeah, there are. Ys 6 was a PS2 game and Oath in Felghana/Origin are based on its engine. And Ys Seven(which is closer in gameplay to 8) was a PSP game originally. A controller is definitely recommended IMO, but the games do support keyboard and mouse controls.

I see. And i'm guessing that, like most JRPG series, it doesn't really matter which Ys game i start with, right?

Just now, Armagon said:

If you didn't tell me that was a field theme, i would've thought it was a battle theme.

But yeah, these songs are great. I got an SNES-era JRPG vibe from them. What i mean by that is, it's like the game's OST was originally from a SNES game, and then they remastered the songs for the modern generation. That's the feel i got. Great songs and i'd definitely consider these songs to be on the same level as Xenoblade.

That's Falcom's style when it comes to OSTs. They sound like "Modern classics", in a different sense of the phrase.