(SOV Story Spoilers) In my opinion, Alm doesn't undermine any theme of Echoes to me.

4 hours ago, CriticalMiss said:

That's not what I meant. Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I meant that Celica did not have to follow Jedah and could have simply left when he said:

Hehehe… Cellica.
Alm’s trapped in Dragon Mountain. You must want to save him.
If that’s so, then follow after me.
If you offer yourselves as sacrifices to Lord Doma, Alm’s path shall also open up once more!

Hmm, maybe. But I'd bring up Gameplay Story integration and say that if the player can't easily leave, then Celica can't either. Plus, there's no good reason why Jedah would just let her leave (unless Gaiden Jedah is, ironically, extremly trustowrthy...I mean he might have actually saved Alm from the Dragons?). Either way, it's clear that she's not just giving up and resolving to die in the original, as she encourages Alm to come help her the moment she sees him. She keeps fighting regardless. I think if she did leave I'd view her as a coward who wasted a lot of time. She went to Duma Tower for a purpose, simply giving up and going home because the villian asked her to kill herself would be very bizzare. Of course the fact that Celica does go through that door after Jedah told her does imply something, but I think it's more along the lines of facing what ever's next, rather than selling her soul. Either way, if Jedah didn't say that and suggest she sacrafice herself, I don't think we would have got the Celica sacraficing herself plot point in the remake. So it didn't come out of nowhere at any rate.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic