Which is the best Elder Scrolls Game, and why is it Morrowind?

Stopwatch

I will argue with any and everyone. Morrowind, while its graphics are somewhat dated and its combat system can turn new players away, is the best in the series (at least in comparison to Oblivion and Skyrim, the two games that it shares most with) in my opinion. 

Morrowind rides the best balance between freedom and jankiness.

Other games are either too janky, or too restrictive. Morrowind is janky, but you have crazy freedom.

Just now, Slumber said:

Morrowind rides the best balance between freedom and jankiness.

Other games are either too janky, or too restrictive. Morrowind is janky, but you have crazy freedom.

Mm. Morrowind is the C Programming Language of RPGs.

Scratch that, D&D is the C of RPGs. Morrowind is like the C++ of RPGs.

12 hours ago, Stopwatch said:

sounds fair. I'll make bait there next time. Thanks!

Topics with loaded questions are always

OxXmTIg.png

but I'll take it anyway.

I actually like Morrowind because I get to play a lizard man with spears, so it's like I'm a lizard fisherman.

Also I get to make Fei Fong Wong and play it straighter than in Oblivion or Skyrim.  Why they removed unarmed and unarmored skills, as well as polearms, is beyond me.

I really need to play more Morrowind.  I know some people hate it because the combat isn't like what they know in the later games, but as someone who grew up playing traditional JRPGs and as someone who can get jiggy with stuff like D&D, it really doesn't bother me at all that my character misses attacks from point-blank range when I don't spec right or use a weapon my character isn't proficient in.

morrowind is my favorite elder scrolls but dismissing the combat system which is among the worst combat systems of all time as 'something that turns newcomers off' is fucking disingenous

morrowind's bad systems fucking suck and the problem is that all of morrowind's systems actually suck or are only good because they're overwrought as hell, the only objectively good thing about the game is the world, which is quite good

On 1/12/2018 at 10:15 AM, Ertrick36 said:

Also I get to make Fei Fong Wong and play it straighter than in Oblivion or Skyrim.  Why they removed unarmed and unarmored skills, as well as polearms, is beyond me.

because these skills were essentially worthless, you might as well say 'why did they remove medium armor' - hey, it was because literally nobody seriously used it, ever.