Fire Emblem: Judgement of the Prince (Seeking Help)

Neppit

Hello there. Before I begin, I shall get some introductions out of the way. My name is Alice, and I am a senior in high school. I am going to be studying game design in college shortly, though I have taken multiple courses during the summers of 2016 and 2017 on game design. My experience mostly lies in using Unity Engine, but I have been teaching myself FE Builder for a while now. As for romhacking, it was always something that I had taken an interest in. I have never formally completed any romhacking projects, but it has been on my bucket list for awhile now. I figured that a good way to practice my skills would be to try and create a romhack for Fire Emblem, since it is one of my favorite game franchises. This romhack isn't intended to be a massive project, just a smaller story using mostly assets that can be found in the original Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. Either way, on to explaining my idea:

Fire Emblem: Judgement of the Prince

Design Document

Story:

At first in the kingdom of Mercia there was a perfectly normal royal family, with a strong and noble king, a beautiful queen, two strong young princes and a baby princess. The entire land of Lumine was in a state of relative peace, until one day the king suddenly and mysteriously vanishes, taking the young daughter with him. Chaos and unrest began to form at the top layer of society, and the queen began to go mad in her desperate search for him. The queen proved that she is truly unfit to sit on the throne, especially when she made her greatest mistake by declaring war on the northern country of Rostov. In her madness, she believed that they were responsible for the disappearance of her husband. This could not be farther from the truth, and the Queen's country engaged in a multi-year slaughter of the innocent country. The people of her country hated this decision, however they still help faith in the monarchy due to the presence of the older prince, Godric, who they believed would make an ideal king one day. Godric did everything he could to attempt to provide relief to the poor citizens of his country, and was a public advocate against the war. However this fanatical devotion to Godric came crashing down when he was suddenly assassinated.

From there, the time had come for the people to rise up. They were led by a general from the previous war, who had grown to detest violence from his time serving in the military. He merely wanted it all to stop, so he began a coup against the queen and the remaining prince, Godfrey. The game begins during this coup, where Godfrey desperately attempts to escape his destruction and seeking a way to earn back his people's trust. Specifically, the game follows Evelyn, a seemingly normal dancer thrown into all this political chaos and attempting to see order returned to her homeland. She is joined by Rodrick, a thief who seems to remain extremely loyal to at her. Rodrick's motives seem cloudy at first, but once his sinister mistakes come back to haunt him, he is forced to face the repercussions of his actions. This trio of unlikely heroes attempt to rally an army to retake the capital, in hopes of one day restoring the peace that once prevailed in Lumine. 

Features:

Mechanically, the game will function similar to the game that it is using as a base (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones). I am not going to be going out of my way to add an excessive number of new features, but I will be adding a decent amount. There are going to be two or three new classes, if the design goes well enough. This game is planned to be small in scope and a pretty simple Fire Emblem experience. The game will not contain any monster classes, as the struggle of this game is pretty much entirely based on humans being humans. I want to create more of a bond between a player unit and their weapon in this hack, so there will be an increase in the amount of preferred weapons compared to a usual Fire Emblem game, and there will probably be a mechanic to repair weapons. It all depends on what I am able to do in regards to FE Builder. 

Folder:

Here is the folder that contains everything that I am using to work on the game. I plan on being completely transparent with this project, so don't be afraid to pop in and check on my progress. If I am currently working on something in the folder I could also answer your questions in regard to the game right there. If you want to know more about stuff like Plot, Characters, Plans, Maps, Scripts, etc, I implore you to check it out. 

Click Here

Development:

As for actually creating the game, that is going to be a steady process. I am not quite an expert on FE Builder quite yet, but I am getting better. My strong suit when it comes to these kinds of games is definitely writing, so the scripts are probably going to be one of the first thing to get finished. On the other hand, my biggest area that I struggle with is art, so that will most likely take awhile to really come to fruition. Expect any early builds I put in the folder of the chapters to be using entirely placeholder assets, at least until I can get confident enough to make my own assets, or hire someone to do it for me. Making this game is probably going to be a multi-year endeavor, depending on a few external and uncontrollable factors. Know that I am dedicated to it one hundred percent and plan to work on it as much as I can, within reason. If you would like some insight into my priorities and progress on the more specific tasks of this project, linked below my task list. Each task is organized in order of priority and will be updated with my progress on that task. 

Task List

Conclusion:

I apologize to anyone who sat through and read this whole thing, but most of it just me rambling. To be honest I only really made this post to say what I am I doing to the community at large. I am not really attempting to get a bunch of people to help me with the game or advertise or whatever. I just want it in writing what I am doing and I want to be held to this. I will see this game through to its conclusion, no matter what. I hope that I have at least one or two emotional supporters (help me I don't know what I'm doing people) along the way and wish me the best of luck. If you have any questions or really wanna help in some way, don't hesitate to post here or message me. I will probably post here again when I have an early build that I actually want people to see. Thank you for your time and have a nice day. 

Edited by Neppit

I apologize for not really helping the problem of presenting little actual progress if any. I understand that this whole concept is meaningless until I have actual gameplay done, but I just wanted to share my folder with the world so I hopefully get good feedback when I eventually have something meaningful.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you have a pretty solid start to your hack! The story sounds interesting so far, and your plans on drive are well organized. Definitely the way to go, as opposed to jumping right into the editor.

One bit of advice, if you plan to add any patches to your hack, I recommend doing so sooner rather than later, to prevent issues in the future. I can speak from experience, it isn't a good time.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for your project!

On 1/12/2018 at 1:26 AM, Neppit said:

On the other hand, my biggest area that I struggle with is art, so that will most likely take awhile to really come to fruition. Expect any early builds I put in the folder of the chapters to be using entirely placeholder assets, at least until I can get confident enough to make my own assets, or hire someone to do it for me.

Nobody's going to judge you harshly for using placeholder assets, if you show that you have working chapters and progress, artists will usually come to you.

• 5 weeks later...

Incredible sounds like a bit of an overstatement, but I'm doing my best. I haven't been able to make too much progress as of yet sadly, mostly due to struggles with the engine. 

Hey, if you're interested we could work together. I would need to take some liberties with the strategic element of the game, but I think we could create something nice. 

I did a mock-up of a Ch. 0 map for you: 

Spoiler

BFeqoy4.png

Their bar is literally a ship. The ship does not function anymore, it is permanently docked there. 

Anyway, try out the different ch. 0 I made here and let me know what you think - if you're interested in collaborating, etc.

To make a compelling game I think the story should be intertwined into maps, not as much between the chapters. I also want to work on the strategic element; it should be far less Rout Enemy and far more "achieve this", or "reach this place". I want a Base Camp unit with Merlinus' overworld sprites that heals nearby units, has supply, and is always targeted by enemies. It would have 0 movement, does not need to be deployed, and not be such a liability that Merlinus felt like. More like, this is your base camp, and if you lure enemies here, you get buffs and heals from it. I'm also interested in a low movement (0-2) ballista character to join at some point. 

• 1 year later...