Berwick Saga Translation (Finished, v2.3) - Updated 23 Jan 2021

Aethin

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine ran into an issue. Enid's promotion displays text from Percival. An empty textbox after this softlocks the game.

edit: Skipping the scene leads to a black screen with the music still playing.

gsdx_20180117235156.png.5a4034bf0f7fb702b7e5a791b0182427.png

Edited by blueasian

This is looking quite promising! As soon as I'm done with school projects and landing an internship, I'll be sure to give this a try.

Would a detailed proofread/feedback like I did with TRS be useful, or is this still too early and WIP to be really worth it?

Edited by Miacis

58 minutes ago, enjoyedeggs said:

This looks really cool (:
One question that I have though is whether or not saves from this patch can be continued once more of the translation comes out.

I am 95% sure they can because my original Japanese files are actually loading onto Berwick's ISO.

On 1/18/2018 at 2:06 PM, Miacis said:

This is looking quite promising! As soon as I'm done with school projects and landing an internship, I'll be sure to give this a try.

Would a detailed proofread/feedback like I did with TRS be useful, or is this still too early and WIP to be really worth it?

It’s still far too early, I think. There’s already a boatload of problems and minor inconsistencies that I need to fix already. But if you’re still willing when the time comes, I’d greatly appreciate it!

On 1/18/2018 at 6:58 PM, enjoyedeggs said:

This looks really cool (:
One question that I have though is whether or not saves from this patch can be continued once more of the translation comes out.

Almost certainly! All my saves have worked across patches. As I understand it, the only thing the patch changes is some images and the text, so any regular saves should work.

I have noted, however, that using savestates across versions can cause some odd spritework bugs, such as changing Elbert’s face...

On 1/17/2018 at 9:01 PM, blueasian said:

A friend of mine ran into an issue. Enid's promotion displays text from Percival. An empty textbox after this softlocks the game.

edit: Skipping the scene leads to a black screen with the music still playing.

gsdx_20180117235156.png.5a4034bf0f7fb702b7e5a791b0182427.png

As I think I addressed on Discord, I now believe I know what’s causing this glitch. Until I make a new patch, though, a workaround would be loading the save in the Japanese version, viewing the cutscene, then switching back. Sorry! :/

Wanted to say a big thanks to everyone who's been helpful and supportive of the translation efforts so far! I know it's far from finished, but I ask you all to bear with us as work continues.

14 hours ago, flare9 said:

Do you plan on releasing future patch updates on a chapter by chapter basis?

Not really, no. This is basically just meant as a teaser.

Right now, I'm working on fixing the text issues present in this patch, and after that it'll probably be at least a month (maybe several) before the next release.

Now this looks really sweet. It's great to see that this project continues to move forward. And just having a translated interface is already a huge help, given how different this game's mechanic's are to it's predecessor.

I've updated the current patch to version 11, which fixes all face-swaps and the Enid promotion crash. The OP now includes both a full patch and an upgrade patch from version 9.

You may notice that I skipped version 10. that's because I don't release every version, since some of them--like version 10--turn out crappy/broken because of my mistakes.

Looking great.

Hope this doesn't come off as too much, but is anyone interested in screenshotting the classes in the battle animations.

Spoiler

iZQfMxw.png

Photos of this quality would be great to crop and use for the Wiki articles. Idle poses would be preferred for classes.

I'd do it myself, but I have issues using PS2 emulation.

Man, I suck at this game. This is pretty different from what I'm used to, but it's fun. I really appreciate the effort put in, it's a lot of work, and on a console that doesn't have the endless resources we enjoy for GBA(at least to my understanding). I'll be keeping up with this for sure. Hopefully I'll be able to beat chapter 2 before the next patch comes out.

It's amazing, and so awesome and generous that you are taking your time to work on this.  This game is one I've wanted to play forever and am more curious about since it is a bigger departure from Fire Emblem than Tear Ring was, with hex grids and other stuff.  

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much!! I havent played Tear Ring Saga yet but I plan on playing it after I finish New Mystery of the Emblem, and then hopefully will work my way to this. I'm excited to see a translation is being worked on, can't wait to play it!!

Thank you all for your encouragement and positive feedback! I'm glad to see so many people excited to play the game!

I haven't played the translation, my Mac has issues running emulators it seems. However I notice SF's Berwick section has updated its names, presumably because of this translation patch. 

Overall, I like/am fine with most of the changes. Estobar to Esteban being a good fix from a literal Japanese reading to proper English. Changing Olwen to Owen is good too. Ouro to Volo works. 

Isis Charger to Ishs, Sylvia to Slyvis, and where did Thaddy come from when the old name was Sedy? These are my only, minor, critiques. But who am I to speak? Do whatever you think you should, you translating the game is a service good enough. I have no grounds to criticize when I want to play and can't contribute.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

22 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Isis Charger to Ishs

Just wanted to note that Ishs is an actual location in the continent of Lazberia, and it's one shown repeatedly on the world map throughout the game. Same with Liga. Whoever transcribed the horse names to English on SF didn't seemed to have caught onto how some of these special horses directly reference where they come from.

G3ID18W.png

Keep in mind that the previous version of the SF page on Berwick Saga also took translation liberties of its own, and at points were inconsistent with itself due to different users involved. To an extent the latter criticism also extends to the current state of the page, but this is also presumably due to the page edits still being worked on as of now.

On 4/10/2018 at 1:26 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

I haven't played the translation, my Mac has issues running emulators it seems. However I notice SF's Berwick section has updated its names, presumably because of this translation patch. 

Overall, I like/am fine with most of the changes. Estobar to Esteban being a good fix from a literal Japanese reading to proper English. Changing Olwen to Owen is good too. Ouro to Volo works. 

Isis Charger to Ishs, Sylvia to Slyvis, and where did Thaddy come from when the old name was Sedy? These are my only, minor, critiques. But who am I to speak? Do whatever you think you should, you translating the game is a service good enough. I have no grounds to criticize when I want to play and can't contribute.

Thanks for your interest! If you're using PCSX2 on Mac, maybe the BIOS files are the issue? Hope you figure it out!

I've got little reasons jotted down for each of the name changes; some of them (Isis > Ishs, Ouro > Volo) are to match the official romanizations, some (Sylvia > Sylvis) are to match the Japanese name better, Olwen > Owen is because the former is a girl's name, etc. A very small number of item names had to be shortened/abbreviated to fit in the text windows ("Imperial High-Ranking Soldier Square Shield" simply isn't going to fit no matter how narrow the font gets, so we'll have to do with "Imp. Officer MShd").

I'm rather on the fence about "Thaddy," too. "Sedy" just looks ugly. My first pick for the translation would've been "Sadie" if it were a boy's name. Since Japanese usually represents "th" with s or z sounds (like sandā for "thunder"), I didn't feel too out of line with "Thaddy," but I don't particularly like it. Another that I was considering was "Cedric." Far less likely, but still in my brainstormed ideas, was the full "Thaddeus." Ideas are still swirling about in my head.

I try to be discreet about names so most people don't notice, since the FE community is very toxic divisive when it comes to name changes... so I'm grateful for your kind and reasonable response. :^_^:  Hope you enjoy the final result!

6 minutes ago, Aethin said:

I try to be discreet about names so most people don't notice, since the FE community is very toxic divisive when it comes to name changes... so I'm grateful for your kind and reasonable response. :^_^:  Hope you enjoy the final result!

I try not to be too attached to fannames. Sure Celice was better than Seliph, but I accept Caeda and Ced- each can be pronounced "Shiida" and "Seti" with their official spellings. Lewyn and Nyna are a little eh, but I can deal with it.

My comments on many of the changes, mostly to class names:

Spoiler

High Lord > Lord Knight is a bit better and less awkward for an FE class name.

Slayer > Berserker, good since Slayer is a bit odd and doesn't seem to explain the character's premise that well. Berserker is also a typical FE axe class.

Olwen > Owen, besides freeing him from being confused with a Mage Knight, makes it clear he is male, which is a little ambiguous physically. Sylvia > Sylvis also avoids an FE mixup. 

Speaking of Mage Knights, changing Enid's classes from Sword Knight > Mage Knight into Fencer > Flame Fencer is much appreciated. Enid is neither armored nor on a horse, which is the issue with having "Knight" in your class name for FE players. She is a noble lady infantry unit who isn't heavily armored- "Fencer" is elegant and well-suited for her.

Old Knight > Veteran Knight is less of a pejorative directed against Ward, good.

Apostle > Chosen One, interesting. I don't know why she is the Gotoh of this game, but for whatever reasons, both names suit the role, and I don't believe the "chosen one" concept is overdone in this game from what little I know. Stick with the change.

And I see you passed Apostle to Saphira's promoted class. It works, Oracle doesn't exactly suit a Christian-inspired holy woman anyway.

Chevaliere is fancy, and given it applies to just one female unit, it works.

Bow Knight > Lady Knight, appropriate. Arrow Knight? Bow Paladin was the official NoA name for RD's mono-bow promoted units (the Japanese here was Arrow Knight). I don't know which name is best.

Shining Knight is less generic than Holy Knight, so good.

Wyvern Knight is in line with FE translated norms (and I think they're actual wyverns here).

Giving the two Mages/Sages their signature element in their name makes them more distinguished from one another and the titles a little less boring.

Axe Sergeant is in line with the TRS Sergeant class, and better than aping FE's Great Knight, which always has a horse. Stick with it.

Swordfighter for Volo and Myrmidon for Faye- makes it clearer the former cannot promote. Good.

I see you left the Cleric of Saphira and Izerna the same named, but changed Thaddy's Thief to Burglar while leaving Czene a Thief. I can't say much about his and Czene's characters, but it works, particularly when the two play quite differently from what I can see. Burglar makes it more obvious he is not a carbon copy of her.

I also really appreciate whoever has recently added more details about these characters to the SF main page. Although the hint of skepticism/disgust towards Reese's and Lynette's love for each other might be uncalled for, unless in-game it is recognized as strange. Although I get you have to explain they're adoptive siblings and also lovers, which is admittedly a bit strange in the present day (although in the early 1800s it wasn't Victor Frankenstein's beloved in the titular novel was his "sister"(or was it "cousin"- same thing practically either way)).

And this isn't really a criticism or anything, but how can Burroughs be reckless? He's a Ballistician! His job is on the safer backlines.

On 4/11/2018 at 2:10 PM, Aethin said:

Thanks for your interest! If you're using PCSX2 on Mac, maybe the BIOS files are the issue? Hope you figure it out!

I've got little reasons jotted down for each of the name changes; some of them (Isis > Ishs, Ouro > Volo) are to match the official romanizations, some (Sylvia > Sylvis) are to match the Japanese name better, Olwen > Owen is because the former is a girl's name, etc. A very small number of item names had to be shortened/abbreviated to fit in the text windows ("Imperial High-Ranking Soldier Square Shield" simply isn't going to fit no matter how narrow the font gets, so we'll have to do with "Imp. Officer MShd").

I'm rather on the fence about "Thaddy," too. "Sedy" just looks ugly. My first pick for the translation would've been "Sadie" if it were a boy's name. Since Japanese usually represents "th" with s or z sounds (like sandā for "thunder"), I didn't feel too out of line with "Thaddy," but I don't particularly like it. Another that I was considering was "Cedric." Far less likely, but still in my brainstormed ideas, was the full "Thaddeus." Ideas are still swirling about in my head.

It might not necessarily be accurate since I don't know any Japanese and can only go based off of people's translations, but Teddy maybe? Spell it like Theresa where it it's Theddy? Not sure that that sounds any better to everyone, but I like it a little better than Thaddy. Cedric and Thaddeus I'd be cool with too.

For Sylvis, the wiki has Sylwiss, which I expect is probably pronounced the same as Sylvis, but it feels more feminine to me for what that's worth. On a side note, Sylviss just looks awful (I tried it out because I was curious if the double s affected my perception of it as more feminine). But I'm also not familiar with the characters or name origins, so feel free to ignore everything I say :P

On 4/11/2018 at 2:56 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Sure Celice was better than Seliph

Anything's better than Serlis IMO.

Edited by bottlegnomes