Berwick Saga Translation (Finished, v2.3) - Updated 23 Jan 2021

Aethin

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I found an untranslated event in ch6 in an unusual place.

Spoiler

So where the problem is is Barselphon's request to capture Minas, specifically when you don't Kill Theodore but capture Minas. The different event with Ward where he says he killed Theodore is fine, but everything after that except Theodore's letter is untranslated. It's interesting because the event seems to go the same way as if you killed Theodore from that point, where Reese hands over Minas and realized he messed up.

On 1/31/2020 at 1:02 AM, Krios said:

So I found an untranslated event in ch6 in an unusual place.

Hide contents

So where the problem is is Barselphon's request to capture Minas, specifically when you don't Kill Theodore but capture Minas. The different event with Ward where he says he killed Theodore is fine, but everything after that except Theodore's letter is untranslated. It's interesting because the event seems to go the same way as if you killed Theodore from that point, where Reese hands over Minas and realized he messed up.

Oof... I checked the script, and that's a copy-pasting mistake on my part.

The game handles events really inefficiently, where each variation has its own text instead of coding something sensible like "if X character is alive, then do Y" (even if the variant scenes are exactly the same), so if I don't copy the lines over properly, it'll do that. It's fixed on my end now!

Edited by Aethin

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, everyone! The time you've awaited for so long has finally come!
Yes, the translation is finished! We've now left the "beta" stage, so now, I present to you Release Candidate v1.0!

There are almost certainly a number of typos and other errors scattered about, and they will need eventual fixing, so I ask players to please try and screenshot any that they come across. (The F8 key does that in PCSX2, and they're saved in Documents\PCSX2\snaps by default on Windows.)

HOWEVER! There are exactly six lines in the game that remain untranslated despite all my efforts. This is because we've been unable to find the file(s) where they're stored. These lines are pretty unobtrusive: they're lines spoken in the Epilogue by mercenary units who survived but were not recruited. Until the time comes that we can insert them, I'll translate them here for you (essentially no spoilers):

Spoiler

Volo: ......

Axel: Well, I'm still in need of money... Same as usual. Nothin's changed...

Sylvis: You're leaving Narvia, right? I intend to stay here until I catch Weiss. It'd be nice if we could meet again.

Kramer: Oh, it's you guys... I've decided to leave this country. I want to go and see the world with my own eyes, just like all those heroes of old. Our paths may cross again, if it is our destiny.

Esteban: Thanks for saving me way back when. Now that the war's over, I'm going to become a hunter.

Thaddy: Madam Quescria says she's gonna build a new orphanage here for all of the little ones. So, now that I can give up being a mercenary, I think I'll move on to my new job. ...What's my new job? Er, well... it's not really important... A-Anyway, See ya!

Thank you again to everyone who helped support the translation and bring it to the place it is today. We couldn't have done it without you.

EDIT: (Sorry, had to submit that fast before my computer died; just finishing this up on my phone.)

The Serenes Forest guide pages for Berwick Saga are still a work in progress, but all the major ones you’d want to look through for a first playthrough are tidied up. I’ll also be updating my signature when I get my laptop charger back from my work tomorrow.

Edited by Aethin

Spzgdgzx o

It's a great day to be alive.

And just as carnival arrives here in Spain, too! I'll have a bunch of free days to play! This couldn't be any more perfect.

1 hour ago, Aethin said:

There are exactly six lines in the game that remain untranslated despite all my efforts.

You suck how dare you call this a finished translation

God, I hate myself for saying something like that, even jokingly. Please forgive me...

1 hour ago, Aethin said:

The Serenes Forest guide pages for Berwick Saga are still a work in progress, but all the major ones you’d want to look through for a first playthrough are tidied up.

Dude, you've translated the whole game. I think we can wait on those pages while you take a well-deserved break.

1 hour ago, Aethin said:

Volo: ......

Wow, thanks! I was losing my head over what he might've been trying to tell me with ". . . .". Ah, edgelords...

Oh, by the way! Since the translation is now finished, I think you should contact a mod and have this thread pinned. Not that the TRS sub is the most active in Serenes, but it wouldn't do to have to go looking for the translation patch of all things.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Thank you, thank you, and thank you Aethin. I really have no words for this. TearRing and Berwick are two of my favourite entries not only of the series, but of videogames in general, and I have been able to experience them in English thanks to you. For people like me who love Kaga's works but can't understand a word of Japanese, this is incredible.The work you've put on this is enormous considering you have been doing it by yourself, and I cannot stress my gratitude enough. I hope you enjoy your well-earned rest and I wish you all the best. You're a legend of this community. ❤️

Congratulations on finishing this, Aethin! With Berwick done, the only untranslated works in FE/Sagas are the Vestaria gaidens. Here's hoping they'll be done eventually. In the meantime, time to play this game that's apparently the best thing to ever exist.

I was trying to think of something to say that captured my excitement and and appreciation for all that you've done Aethin. This is what I came up with:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Dirtfall

The description for the skill Silence in the Action menu is incorrect.

Spoiler

silence.thumb.png.a9bb11ba122ed56c00561fa224bb89bf.png

Saying it lasts for 3 turns is incorrect as it only lasts through the unit's next turn as a player unit. The description in the Skills menu does distinguish this but saying it here can mislead people.

Edited by Krios
Misspelling

A bit of untranslated text I've found, once again I've found in a strange place, is in the cutscenes when you linger on the main menu for a while.

Spoiler

357773827_Screenshot(352).thumb.png.723ca0a674a0c2a130195715111bfa0c.png

This is the only one that I saw that had something wrong. I assume this is the opening to chapter 4  where Roswick tells Reese whats going on. But the only untranslted bits are when you look at the map, Roswick telling Reese to come over is translated.

But in happier news I just finished a ranked run and just want to say I love to work you and anyone else who worked on it did and wish you luck on any future endeavors you decide to take up.

Just want to say thank you to everyone involved and congrats to Aethin. Berwick Saga is a great FE-esque game (in fact, my favorite) that deserves to be played and hopefully appreciated by more people. Thank you for making that a possibility now in the west.