Berwick Saga Translation (Finished, v2.3) - Updated 23 Jan 2021

Aethin

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's finished? Thank you, Aethin. Thank you, and thank you again.

In all my years of stalking this forum, nothing had motivated me enough to actually create an account, but now that both TearRing and Berwick translations have been finished I simply felt compelled to do so in order to express my thanks. I know that simply saying 'thank you' is hardly enough of a sign of appreciation for what you have done, but I'm still too overwhelmed by this all to properly express myself. 
I've been itching to play Berwick for years, but since I know very little Japanese I just wouldn't have been able to comprehend most of the text and so would have had my enjoyment of the game severely handicapped as a result, so I just abstained from trying it. Although I have wanted to learn Japanese to remove the language barrier of a lot of games (mostly SRPGs) that I have desired to play, Japanese as a language just intimidates me every time I try, compounded by the fact that I just don't know where to start, so without this patch I don't think I would be able to play this for the best part of another decade. quam misera sum, quod inhabilis ad plurimi linguae.  

Because I'm far too busy to try it until June, I thank you again in advance for making this masterpiece accessible to me ready for then.

You have my most heartfelt thanks, Aethin. I was always interested in Berwick Saga, but I kinda got stuck learning Japanese because it's hard for me to learn something on my own without some kind of teacher motivating me and the area I live in doesn't provide any more courses than I already did which got me roughly to JLPT4 level (never did the tests though). And then you started Berwick Saga after finishing Champions of Yutona. So I started playing it in 2018 and it made me feel things I haven't felt while playing a video game in a long time. Now that I have finished it I can also say that it never let me down. There is so much care put into the characters with everyone having their own little story arc. And every map feels like a great adventure; you wouldn't expect so much exploring elements in a strategy game, but Berwick Saga did it - and so amazingly well. I fell in love this game and you made it possible, Aethin. You're awesome.

Congratulations and a huge thank you to Aethin & Co! It's hard to believe I've been quietly anticipating this release for likely over a year now! I'm sure it was definitely worth waiting for! I still love the work you did on TearRing Saga and I'm very optimistic about Berwick for the same reason.

Thank you for all your hard, hard work and for sticking with the project until initial completion. I know there will still be bugs to fix, but I think (and hope) most of the difficult parts are over. I'm looking forward to watching the Berwick community grow as more people get to experience this game!

Aethin, I have checked this thread just about every day since you announced your project this is how excited I was for Berwick.  Tear Ring I was excited about, and loved your translation and it was so so good, however Berwick the excitement was much greater cause it looked like the next/final evolution of Kaga and very different from Fire Emblem.  I just finished the very first battle, and am already blown away.  The hexes changes strategy so much, the events happening on map, the way most of the skills aren't RNG but are command orientated, bonuses, or only activate in certain conditions.  Nice that some of them have drawbacks too, so that adds another layer.  The active turn system also completely changes how to approach the game.

Anyways thank you so much for this you and your team have done a great service and will bring many hours of unbridled joy.  

Dont know if anyone mentioned it yet, but there is some japanese dialog displayed from characters if you let this disc play without hitting start. It loops through different scenes with characters conversing, and a scene where two soldiers are looking at map is where the dialog is still in.  It switches to a view of the map and one character's dialog is still in japanese.

thanks again for all your hard work!

Edited by Wild-Turkey-2000

I just finished this game and it was really great! Not on my top 3 FE games but really close. I would really like to thank Aethin and his coworker for the great translations of Tear Ring Saga and Berwick Saga. If I have to nitpick I would say there remain some untranslated dialogue (only a few lines here and there) but it is really minor. Overall this is a quality translation!

I hope more people will give it a try! Be warned of the game difficulty though, for my part I played with cheats and it was a cakewalk.

Spoiler

When Zephyrius and Arcturus appear as enemies, you can't beat them! With cheats you can potentially be strong enough to beat them but they dodge all fatal attacks!

Defeating Chaos in the last chapter was easy with cheats but I wonder how the hell can you defeat him normally!? (Guess a trained Faye with Vritra using Astra is your best bet.)

Edited by david.nguyen
old

9 hours ago, david.nguyen said:
  Hide contents

Defeating Chaos in the last chapter was easy with cheats but I wonder how the hell can you defeat him normally!? (Guess a trained Faye with Vritra using Astra is your best bet.)

Spoiler

Base Faye + Vritra ties with Chaos’ defense and does 0 damage. So basically every point of strength she gets (including +1 in promo) is what she will do to him. She is, of course, very unreliable at leveling strength, so if you are willing to spend the STR Potion on her, she can take down half of his health with Astra (or kill him with crits if you are lucky!). To be honest, I’d say Chaos is the hardest enemy of the game, so it’s not a terrible idea.

Without using her he's a real nightmare, your only real chance is critting him multiple times with Gram!Reese, bombing him with Pallas Leia and shooting with Burroughs on the same turn.

Question although im not sure if even just the reference is against the rules.

I can only find roms that are divided into rar. file parts. Can anyone tell me if this is how it is supposed to be and if so if there are some detailed instructions on applying the patch to these. I have been looking forward to trying the game but have hit a tech illiteracy road block. 

2 hours ago, Aronthir776 said:

Question although im not sure if even just the reference is against the rules.

I can only find roms that are divided into rar. file parts. Can anyone tell me if this is how it is supposed to be and if so if there are some detailed instructions on applying the patch to these. I have been looking forward to trying the game but have hit a tech illiteracy road block. 

Download all the file parts, highlight all the .rar's and extract them to one place. You should end up with a complete rom.

On 2/28/2020 at 11:38 PM, david.nguyen said:
Spoiler

There are multiple sources of good damage output against Chaos outside of that

Spoiler

- Dean Greataxe Vengeful

- Sherlock Rossweisse + Mithril Arrows Triple Shot and One-Two

- Volo Miracle Charm + Deathmatch with Zweihander or Adrasteia (Miracle Charm prevents Volo's death for the one whole battle)

- Provoke Chaos with Elbert/Clifford outside enemy Darkmend range, then pelt down with Sherpa using Windsweep with the Brymranger

- Stacked Battle Cry Attack with Daoud or Burroughs (Daoud also has Pulverize)

- Enid Pallas Leia or Chosen One Pallas Serenia

Edited by Aggro Incarnate

Thank you for your answer. Defeating Chaos was challenging enough. You can even beat him on his first encounter

(the berwick saga wiki claims so, by using Dean). I personally used Sherpa with Brymranger and

Reese with Lanette adjacent to bring him down. After defeating Chaos, I felt the final boss was disappointing...

Spoiler

At least Tear Ring Saga had an epic final boss (Gerxel).

Edited by david.nguyen
old

I wasn't able to get Vritra , had to hack it in afterwards

Can we hide the spoilers please?

Edit: Wow this game took me over 85 hours to complete, good fun.

Edited by Alph

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I resurrected this ancient account I had lying around just to make sure I said thanks. Berwick Saga is an amazing game, I played it about 1/4 of the way through back when there were only ad-hoc translations online by ShroudedInMyth (which was still like 20 hours this game is massive) and it stunned me. The way Kaga was able to deconstruct his own, remarkably stable foundations for Fire Emblem cemented him in my mind as one of the masters of the genre alongside Matsuno. Currently playing Tearring but I'll make sure to get to this when I'm done.

On 2/28/2020 at 9:38 PM, david.nguyen said:

I just finished this game and it was really great! Not on my top 3 FE games but really close. I would really like to thank Aethin and his coworker for the great translations of Tear Ring Saga and Berwick Saga. If I have to nitpick I would say there remain some untranslated dialogue (only a few lines here and there) but it is really minor. Overall this is a quality translation!

I hope more people will give it a try! Be warned of the game difficulty though, for my part I played with cheats and it was a cakewalk.

Reveal hidden contents

When Zephyrius and Arcturus appear as enemies, you can't beat them! With cheats you can potentially be strong enough to beat them but they dodge all fatal attacks!

I can't even use cheats because it's so complicated to apply them in the emulator lol

Thank you so much for this translation, this game is a hidden gem and was a lot of fun playing partially blind (only checked recruitment, class change, and food buffs). I ended up recruiting everyone except Derrick, Estaban, Sylvis, and Kramer. I didn't cheat per se but I did wait for 5 turn save points to level up Enid's magic until promotion and sometimes to give Faye strength (she ended up super blessed with 16 strength and 29 speed with str and spd potions). Faye ended up being my primary boss killer and it was a lot of fun using Astra to solve any problem I encountered. I really like that mages in this game are really bad but have important moments at the same time and how the Apostle is trash but essential for making the last room easy. 

Overall each character has an interesting story in the game and a lot of the NPCs are great characters (Tianna the best character in this game, and the Minas side story was great) and my only criticisms are how stupid the Berwick League's king is, the not blood related Japanese romance, and weapon durability RNG. Reese is a generic main lord but has his own charms and OP prf weapons to make leveling him a breeze. This is the first Kaga emblem/FE game where I found foot units to be much better (light infantry in particular) due to the nature of terrain movement cost and horses having hp. This game is amazing and has a good balanced set of challenges without being too much of a Kaga RNG fest.

9/10 has a little something for everyone.

Thank you so much for this! So far it's been amazing!

I do have an error to report, though. I missed the screenshot of it, so I'll try to edit it into the post in a minute.

If Faye gets a meal she loves from Kingfisher Pavillion, she says "This is simply wonderful... Could I for the recipe?" I believe that the word Ask was omitted by accident.

EDIT: Got the screenshot this time!

Aethin%20error.jpg?dl=0

Edited by Benice

hey  Aethin i want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for the translation and make you a request please can you translate BS_Editor_v101 so that we can make the useful life of this game last much longer and can make several editions and do you have any patreon account to be able to donate to you because you deserve it for so much hard work !!!!!

BS_Editor_v101.zip