Berwick Saga Translation (Finished, v2.3) - Updated 23 Jan 2021

Aethin

Thank you for putting in the work on getting Berwick Saga translated. I was curious to know if the menu is fully translated? 

I noticed that you said over 30% of the translation was menus but no mention of it all of it was covered yet. Thank you once again for bringing this gem of a game to light. 

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, grinus said:

Thank you for putting in the work on getting Berwick Saga translated. I was curious to know if the menu is fully translated? 

I noticed that you said over 30% of the translation was menus but no mention of it all of it was covered yet. Thank you once again for bringing this gem of a game to light. 

Thanks! Yes, all the menus/system text should be working properly... except for some of the scrolling help text at the bottom/top of the screen, which in the public patch is still messed up. Thankfully, that's mostly inconsequential, and it can be turned off in the game settings.

(It's working now on my end, but I haven't gotten around to publishing another big update yet.)

Thank you for the prompt response. I'm still going through a playthrough of Tear Ring Saga after I patched it to v1.04. What a dramatic difference in translation from 1.03.  I wonder still on what creative differences Mr. Kaga and Nintendo had that made him leave Nintendo/Intelligent Systems and make a game for PS1/PS2. 

The patch (and OP) have now been updated to beta version 16!

This includes:

• translation to the end of Chapter 3 (actually to Ch. 4-1, but they haven't been proofread yet past the end of Ch. 3)
  • a handful of minor city conversations (like mercenary hiring)

Our hacker Lightgazer also tried re-programming the intro video to avoid freezes, but I forgot to implement the new version of the video. Lemme try again...

Edited by Aethin

I'm so glad this is finally being undertaken, I wanted to play this for a long time now, being able to understand it helps immensely with my immersion and enjoyment. Now if only I can get more word on whether Vestaria Saga's own localization is progressing anymore from Kaga himself...

On 5/7/2018 at 5:12 PM, Levant said:

I'm so glad this is finally being undertaken, I wanted to play this for a long time now, being able to understand it helps immensely with my immersion and enjoyment. Now if only I can get more word on whether Vestaria Saga's own localization is progressing anymore from Kaga himself...

In case you haven’t heard yet, your prayers to Our Lord and Savior Kaga have been answered! The Vestaria Saga localization is aimed at a Summer 2018 release!

Guess I just can’t keep up the pace with official localizers :P

3 hours ago, RJWalker said:

I'm curious why you kept Lazberia but the two separated names as Raze and Veria. Unless there's an extra story reason I'm missing, those are supposed to be the same, yes?

That was a big point of contention that I had with myself early on, actually.

The game says right in the title screen and logo — “Lazberia Chronicle,” and the in-game map says “Veria” and “Raze,” so I’ve stuck with those three. For reference, the Japanese spellings are ラズベリア Razuberia, ヴェリア Veria, and ラーズ Rāzu, so it’s not like those line up nicely either. My fan theory is that it’s just some sort of in-universe linguistic shift. (For all those who’ve been getting on my case about not being absolutely 1-to-1 literal enough: No, I’m not throwing my dumb fan theories into the game.)

The only confusing thing to muck my naming decision up is that the semi-official guidebook says “Razeveria” instead, but given that book’s low priority in canon, I decided to go with the game’s “Lazberia.”

Edited by Aethin

I'm watching Deltre's playthrough (missed the livestream) and it's great stuff. Awesome work on this patch! What's done is very professional and the game itself looks pretty fun (those hit rates though...). I was planning to wait until the patch was complete before giving this a try, but I'm very tempted to give it a spin now after seeing how good it already is.

Man... I've been away from these forums for awhile, and now that I'm back I'm rewarded with so much good news (specially on this front). You people rock!

Thanks for the all the work, Aethin. I'll be playing this when I get the time.

Edited by r4v1sh

just been playing chapter 2 The Recruitment conversation for Kramer in Chapter 2 is still in Japanese also there was another conversation with the person on the desk in the guild that is in japanese after claiming a bounty and entering again and talking to him in chapter 2 

Edited by flare9

On 5/21/2018 at 8:54 PM, Ayra said:

I'm watching Deltre's playthrough (missed the livestream) and it's great stuff. Awesome work on this patch! What's done is very professional and the game itself looks pretty fun (those hit rates though...). I was planning to wait until the patch was complete before giving this a try, but I'm very tempted to give it a spin now after seeing how good it already is.

On 5/28/2018 at 6:56 PM, r4v1sh said:

Man... I've been away from these forums for awhile, and now that I'm back I'm rewarded with so much good news (specially on this front). You people rock!

Thanks for the all the work, Aethin. I'll be playing this when I get the time.

On 6/3/2018 at 9:14 AM, flare9 said:

just been playing chapter 2 The Recruitment conversation for Kramer in Chapter 2 is still in Japanese also there was another conversation with the person on the desk in the guild that is in japanese after claiming a bounty and entering again and talking to him in chapter 2 

On 6/6/2018 at 9:43 AM, Guidodi said:

Can't wait to play this game, it looks great.

Thank you all for your positive feedback and testing! Everyone's been so kind and willing to help out here and there, which has made it more enjoyable for me.

I've updated the patch to Beta Version 19 20, which covers until the end of Chapter 5!  However, it doesn't cover any of the four missions (Ruby's, Kramer's, Faye's, and Sylvis's) which can be triggered in any mid-game chapter. Here's the download link for the patch.

EDIT: The link now points to version 20 (rather than 19), which fixed a missing conversation in Chapter 5.

Edited by Aethin
update to v20

woo thanks for the update i was just at the end of chapter 3 rationing the remaining maps to not be done with them.

will you be doing chapter 6 next or the four special missions you mentioned?

4 hours ago, flare9 said:

woo thanks for the update i was just at the end of chapter 3 rationing the remaining maps to not be done with them.

will you be doing chapter 6 next or the four special missions you mentioned?

At the moment, I plan on doing the special missions first. They'll be pretty quick with regards to completion time--about the same as the usual sidequests. The main bulk of my time each chapter is spent on the main missions, since they've got the major plotline details and all the citizen request dialogue.

Thank you for your hard work. I've been wanting to play this for so long after beating Tear Ring Saga, and then I saw you're translating this game, I can't thank you enough.:D: 

I hope you will be able to finish this till the end, and I'll be praying for your success and waiting with high anticipation :wub:

First of all: thank you so much for translating Berwick Saga. I love it so far.

I played the patch version 17, so maybe some errors are fixed in v20. I'm sorry.

I made some screens of those random new lines you mentioned in the opening post: https://imgur.com/a/RWXAYjo

I sadly missed some, because I was pressing buttons too fast ;__;

Non-translated text I found: https://imgur.com/a/EXVTO1u

Possible translation errors (English is not my mother tongue): https://imgur.com/a/g4wXjHF

Also the text is cut off here at the top: https://imgur.com/ibgcu6Y (after the 's')

I hope any of this helps.

Just want to ask this question, the latest SF update on the main page says you've translated ~2/3rds of the game. But Chapter 5 is only one-third of the way through the plot, although the later chapters do lack as many if any sidequests to go with them, and you said you've haven't done the Ex missions either. Is this owing wholly to menus, items, between battles dialogue in the town? Or is the earlier part of the story also more text heavy than the later part even without the side missions factored in?

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

But Chapter 5 is only one-third of the way through the plot, although the later chapters do lack as many if any sidequests to go with them, and you said you've haven't done the Ex missions either.

He has; he just hasn't made a formal announcement.

On 6/9/2018 at 12:40 PM, flare9 said:

not that significant but i let Volo die in chapter 4 and the conversation at his graveyard were i reclaim his items is in japanese

On 6/9/2018 at 2:11 PM, Lilika said:

First of all: thank you so much for translating Berwick Saga. I love it so far.

I played the patch version 17, so maybe some errors are fixed in v20. I'm sorry.

I made some screens of those random new lines you mentioned in the opening post: https://imgur.com/a/RWXAYjo

I sadly missed some, because I was pressing buttons too fast ;__;

Non-translated text I found: https://imgur.com/a/EXVTO1u

Possible translation errors (English is not my mother tongue): https://imgur.com/a/g4wXjHF

Also the text is cut off here at the top: https://imgur.com/ibgcu6Y (after the 's')

I hope any of this helps.

Thanks for all the help!

@Lilika all the errors you found (except one) were indeed errors, so it looks like you're pretty good with English! :D:
The exception "...does not an army make" makes use of a poetic inversion (anastrophe) that goes "An X does not a Y make," sometimes seen in English proverbs.

On 6/9/2018 at 8:47 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Just want to ask this question, the latest SF update on the main page says you've translated ~2/3rds of the game. But Chapter 5 is only one-third of the way through the plot, although the later chapters do lack as many if any sidequests to go with them, and you said you've haven't done the Ex missions either. Is this owing wholly to menus, items, between battles dialogue in the town? Or is the earlier part of the story also more text heavy than the later part even without the side missions factored in?

You're right on both accounts, actually. Around the game's sub-climax (chapters 7-9), things get lengthier again, but otherwise, the chapters get somewhat shorter as the game goes on. Also, system text & generic city text takes up just under 1/4 of the whole game.

All in all, going by the byte size of each of the text files, I've completed 73.8% of the game's text.

On 6/9/2018 at 11:07 PM, Lord Raven said:

He has; he just hasn't made a formal announcement.

Little note there: Ruby's and Sylvis's are still unfinished; I've only done Faye's and Kramer's.