Berwick Saga Translation (Finished, v2.3) - Updated 23 Jan 2021

Aethin

Hi Aethin I finally finished playing through the fully translated version and I was blown away by the quality of the translation, huge props to you and everyone who helped out with the project!

I did find a few really minor errors/inconsistencies in the game text, sorry for the cases in which I didn't get a screenshot or don't have the exact timing of the event, some of my notes failed to save.

In the pre-chapter 1 conversation between the priest and Reese I think it should be changed to "due to being troublemakers."  image.png.2677c1c7a331b6ccbeacf3e320ddd9c5.png

During Chapter 3 in Orbel's cutscene, Paramythis says "Was forced to had to" at one point

Not sure when exactly this scene takes place (sorry) it may be in the cutscene in which Sherpa is confronted by another highlander, but the second "must" is unnecessary

image.png.6ca192030663a9ee2ece94a997784254.png

I'm pretty sure this is from the pre-side mission dialogue for Devil in the Valley, either "more" should be removed or it should be changed to "more fierce"

image.png.c92801f3083b4aa8a197193e88cd9479.png

Again not sure when this takes place other than it being some time after the end of chapter 9, should be changed to "This is lookin' like it might be the end of the kingdom..."

image.png.fd4e07d594c8551bd26bf0092621a31c.png

From Thaddy's permanent recruitment, the first "it" should be removed

image.png.9cd899885d47cd5188716db6a2d041d6.png

From the dialogue after completing the civilian request Picking Up Scraps, "bet" should be "bit"

image.png.028333f90fa53c0c685fbe9862c57fbc.png

From the dialogue at the start of chapter 14, either the first "as" should be removed or "just" should be removed

Spoiler

In chapter 15 dialogue between Reese and Minas, the second "it" in Minas' statement should be removed

Spoiler

image.png.2de705ce31f3766f03bdb9072273ad0c.png

In Burroughs ending scene Bianca says this right after Burroughs accidentally breaks the ballista: 

image.png.a241629e32382ba78604709cc8512068.png

based on how far away Burroughs is from both Bianca and the messenger and the fact that he just broke the ballista saying "Get your grubby mitts off my letter!" at this point doesn't make much sense

Shortly afterward, "Who's" should be "Who"

image.png.84da02d3b930dd4a032b211b0e5893fa.png

From Esteban's ending scene, "get" should be "gets"

image.png.45dc729af905e65600524e6b4ed4dc4e.png

Lumiere has some untranslated lines of text if Reese goes to the Atelier and talks to her before sendoff, I should note that Adel died in this run so maybe that alters her dialogue here?

image.png.724f2fb684a65bfd530f87a8f7d0fb48.png

image.png.7252dbf229a01f91014327bb5494aba5.png

Spoiler

The Main Mission description for chapter 11 seems a little off compared to the dialogue explaining the situation at the start of the chapter. In the pre-chapter dialogue it sounds like Vanmillion is harassing the forces trying to rebuild the bridge while here it seems to imply he is sent to stop the forces invading across Berdan Ravine, maybe just reorganizing the first sentence would help or change it to something like "Vanmillion is sent to stop work on the bridge, . . ."  Additionally, the main mission text states that Zephyrus ambushes Vanmillion however, in Zephyrus' conversation with Arcturus it sounds like they were just passing through the area  to another location far from the frontlines on Faisal's orders, not laying an ambush.

Spoiler

image.png.35f2c2d6f56bbceddf7f1fc4f9b41bd6.png

Thanks again for all your hard work, this is by far my favorite game of all time and it's awesome being able to appreciate how good the story is in addition to the gameplay!

Edited by Gonzawez
Removed a couple accidentally duplicated images

• eclipse pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

This game is an absolute masterpiece. Thanks so much to everyone who worked on the patch and translation!

I saw the earlier mention of some untranslated lines for a set of unrecruited mercenaries during the epilogue. It happened for me with Dean, but I didn't see him on the list, so I just wanted to make it known

Spoiler

gsdx_20200914154743.thumb.png.e5bbb07672c6cac226c58ad366f7b9de.png

gsdx_20200914154746.thumb.png.e51a561d817bbaac1fe1fa2ea52546a9.png

• 4 months later...

Hello, thanks so much for this translation! I just finished Berwick saga, and had a great time since I could read what was going on. I was wondering, do you have any english script files anywhere, like a text file or something? I wanted to look at some of the dialogue I was not able to see on my first playthrough, so I could a full picture and possibly analyze the game. I unfortunately do not think I have the time to play through the entire game again to see everything.

If there are no simple files of the script that were already drafted, then it's no problem, just curious if there were any around.

Hello, everyone! I know it's been a long time since I've spoken on this thread... and honestly, I felt like it would've been in bad taste to post in it without another update. However, I want to thank you all for your kind words and support for this project. I know I haven't been the most active or dedicated (taking many months of vacation off of it at points), so I'm honored that you guys have stuck with me all this time. Special thanks as well to @Lightgazer for ironing out all of the small bugs even after so long.

I've incorporated all of the typos and other fixes that everyone's sent me (big thanks to @Saint Rubenio in particular), and I've returned to provide a new version of the patch! In addition, by popular demand, I've also uploaded a folder with all of the game's text files.

To get the new files, please check the top of the first post of this thread.

Oh look, it's the excuse I've been waiting for to play Berwick Saga again.

...Shoot, and you publicly released the script files as well! I wasn't expecting that.

1 hour ago, Aethin said:

(big thanks to @Saint Rubenio in particular)

Aww... C'mon, you didn't have to call me out like that! I just sent a bunch of typos your way, that's all.

No, but seriously, thanks for the shoutout. I appreciate it.

OH HELL YES! I'm excited to have this update, especially since I'm doing my minimum recruitment run, and want to see if some dialogue has been fixed. 

Also, Aethin, please don't worry about taking breaks. The fact that you spent three whole years translating this game AFTER translating TRS shows amazing amounts of dedication, especially for games as script-heavy as these. Without your hard work, I wouldn't have been able to experience what has now become one of my favorite games I've ever played. 

@Aethin I added this translation at RHDN while ago and I want to ask a question. Do you know who are the other people helping this project? Are there any some additional translators, romhackers, and proofreaders? (Like the previous game). I also updated the version number after 2.3 release, and please replace the translated title screenshot (Release Candidate v1.0) with the new one. (Although I'm unable to do it for myself because don't have my own PC or laptop at the moment)

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/5414/

Edited by Hengki Kusuma Adi

8 minutes ago, Hengki Kusuma Adi said:

@Aethin I added this translation at RHDN while ago and I want to ask a question. Do you know who are the other people helping this project? Are there any some additional translators, romhackers, and proofreaders? (Like the previous game).

The translation adds an extended credits sequence, listing Aethin as the translator, Lightgazer as the programmer and a bunch of people in a "special thanks" section. No info on the exact roles of those people, but I'm pretty sure they're all either Youtubers who brought attention to the translation or proofreaders and playtesters. Here's some screenshots.

Orpnjupz oWrxjnop9 o

27 minutes ago, Hengki Kusuma Adi said:

@Aethin I added this translation at RHDN while ago and I want to ask a question. Do you know who are the other people helping this project? Are there any some additional translators, romhackers, and proofreaders? (Like the previous game). I also updated the version number after 2.3 release, and please replace the translated title screenshot (Release Candidate v1.0) with the new one. (Although I'm unable to do it for myself because don't have my own PC or laptop at the moment)

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/5414/

It’s just me and Lightgazer as the principal authors.

The credits list that Saint Rubenio posted is up-to-date, and the “Special Thanks” section is full of playtesters, proofreaders, and I think a couple people who gave Lightgazer some help. 🙂

23 minutes ago, Aethin said:

It’s just me and Lightgazer as the principal authors.

The credits list that Saint Rubenio posted is up-to-date, and the “Special Thanks” section is full of playtesters, proofreaders, and I think a couple people who gave Lightgazer some help. 🙂

Thanks! I've just recently submitted some couple edit in Credits to include Lightgazer, waiting until gets submission approval. You can also go ahead update every rest of them such as description and translated title screen because I don't have time to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Aethin. First of all I would like to thank you for your hard work and commitment. As plenty of people pointed out, the quality of translation is at quite a level.

That said. I'm a professional translator myself, though I mainly translate into Japanese from other languages, and I strongly disagree with a lot of translations in the English patch. Mainly when the original lines are changed to almost completely opposite meaning, giving off a very different image of a character. There are what I consider to be very creative and awesome changes, but I'm the type who wants to translate faithfully, without changing characters or story of events.

So I would really love to discuss these differences, and perhaps do another translation variation, without the major liberties taken in your version. Would you be up for such a talk and perhaps a new translation with me doing the main changes?

• 1 month later...

Replaying the game with the 2.3 patch and I ran into a small text error in the event that starts the 7-m citizen request for getting the costume. Also, the strange bug with the chapter 8 intro is still present, exists for me playing it on console via softmod with the game installed on internal hard drive, but it does not exist when emulating the game. At this point I'm more likely to believe it's some strange compatibility issue with the game loader than anything else, especially since I haven't come across anyone else who has run into that issue. I remember bringing the issue up a while ago but nobody had any clue as to what could be causing it.

Edit: When purchasing the Big Rug furniture, when you get to the final prompt for whether or not to purchase, at the bottom left above your current money, where it shows the name of the furniture and the cost, it's called Tiger Carpet. That spot seems to be the only place where it's called that.

Edited by Hozu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Setsuna.F.Seiei said:

Hi @Aethin there is a small text that appears with Estaban if you have not been recruited him at the last chapter (15).
I do not know about the others if they have not been recruited him at the last chapter (15).
image.png.cd60147225274305b8ee552c7e511fd1.png

This was fixed in the latest version. Are you on version v2.3? You can check in the title screen, at the bottom right corner.

On 3/30/2021 at 9:21 PM, Hozu said:

Also, the strange bug with the chapter 8 intro is still present, exists for me playing it on console via softmod with the game installed on internal hard drive, but it does not exist when emulating the game. At this point I'm more likely to believe it's some strange compatibility issue with the game loader than anything else, especially since I haven't come across anyone else who has run into that issue. I remember bringing the issue up a while ago but nobody had any clue as to what could be causing it.

I ran into the same issue with OPL 0.9.3. So it's not just you, thought it might be an OPL bug.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2021 at 12:29 AM, Setsuna.F.Seiei said:

ah, I see.... Sr bro... I need to upgrade my version....
Hopefully, Aethin can work on the patch to compatible with the BS Editor. So that we can make more on BS, a new mod with Eng support.

that would be wonderful would give a useful life to the game please  @Aethin !!!!!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Aethin, I just wanted to say that your work with Berwick Saga is amazing! I beat the game when 1.0 was released. I'm surprise to see this translation is still being updated. Thank you so much for the hard work. Berwick Saga is a unforgettable experience for me and I have you to thank for.