Berwick Saga Translation (Finished, v2.3) - Updated 23 Jan 2021

Aethin

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

When I first saw Berwick Saga, I thought it's a weird game. Crappy growth rate? seperate weapon skill? Arrow and shield? hex-based map? mercenary system? It seems too confuse for me. But man, what's a big mistake. This is one of, if not, the best turn-base game I have played. It's on par with FF tactics, and the best in FE series, bettter than Telius, I never image there's a turn-base game can rival FF tactics. It's all thank to you Aethin and your non-profit effort, that I can play this outstanding game, the translation is great as well. Thank you again and hope you the best in life, bro.

Kaga did things seems chaotic, but when you think again, it's closer to reality. Some random thought from me:

- Hex-based map: Biggest different from FE-series. When I'm unfamiliar with this at first, I realise it's more like real situation in battlefield. I mean, why you can attack enemy in your straight line only but not diagonal line? This system feel much more reality and I love it.

- 0-2 range system: That's what a battle need to be! I love it when my fast speed character rush in to counter enemy's 1 range crossbow while dodge arrow in the way 😍

- Arrow and shield: Another confuse things, but when you think again, it's all reasonable. A nation war broke out, and normally there's many type of weapon produced, arrow and shield include. It's normal for an archer can/must carry arrows to shoot and units carry a shield to improve their defence. That's very thoughful, a single add in might for bow or defence seems pretty simple mind.

- Weapon skill: This is great. A unit can't have better hit rate in every weapon with just a simple lv up in skill attribute like before, you need to use specify weapon, and use it a lot to be better with it. That's a life philosophy as well. Before, my soldier promote to general, learn to use axe, and suddenly he can use new found ability axe equally to his - train from begining - lance ability? This weapon system feel much more real and recently FE games follow this thought.

- Mercenary system: What the heck, people don't join you when you talk to them anymore 😱? Now you need much more effort to permantly recruit a unit to your team, and that's great change. It more pain for player, but it make a character much more personality than before, you need to fight alongside them, interact with them, understand their problem, etc... A big war broke out, and create problems everywhere for anyone. A boy who lost his dear family, live on only to revenge, he'll only join you when he found new meaning in life. A farmer boy dreams to become heroes. A girl wants to revenge and retake her family's relic. A man whose thought he lose everything and throw his life away yet come to realise he still have precious thing to live on, etc... When you come along way to recruit them, you'll think: "Heck, that's deep, a single talk in battlefield won't be enough".  Everyone has their own story, even the shop keeper's daughter has one (and I remember their name, too, unlike some faceless NPC in another game). 

- Story: Berwick Saga is deep, and great. But I don't want to spoil anymore so I'll stop here. Beside, I've only played up to ch11 😄

Been playing the patch for the last couple of weeks and I'm impressed, both by the game itself and your translation! It's being a marvelous experience (I'm currently stuck in chapter 10 with its invisible enemies, but whatever) and I cannot thank you enough. Eagerly waiting for when the full release comes around, and very, very grateful!

• 3 weeks later...

Decided I couldn't wait any longer for the project to finish and decided to start, been playing nonstop for 3 days and already at Chapter 10. This game is a masterpiece, thank you for your efforts in the translation. I definitely can't wait for you to finish, this one is shaping up to be my favorite SRPG ahead of even FE4.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2019 at 1:03 PM, MrMinus said:

Is there still progress? It hasn't been updated in 5 months...

Been wondering that myself as well. FAQs section says ETA for final release is the end of 2019, but there hasn't been an update since August as you mentioned. I'm wondering if Aethin is planning on releasing everything left at once before January, or if the project will continue into 2020.

Frankly, as painful as it may sound, I wouldn't expect the full release before 2020. This isn't like, say, Project Exile, which is made by a whole team of people with designated tasks. I'm pretty certain that Aethin's doing this all on his own, in his free time. Not to mention, Berwick Saga isn't an easy game to work with - Aethin once told me that a friend of his describes it as "a game held together with duct tape and wishes". After spending almost three years working on this game, I really cannot blame him for wanting to take it easy, now that we're so close to the end.

Personally, I'd much rather have to wait a couple more months for a product that's solid from start to finish, than rush him and get crappy final chapters.

That being said, it would be nice if he popped 'round here from time to time, just to let us know that everything's fine on his end. But I won't be the one to pester him. He's done a lot already and has asked for diddly-squat in return. Spare him some delays.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

On 12/15/2019 at 5:43 PM, DragonLord said:

Been wondering that myself as well. FAQs section says ETA for final release is the end of 2019, but there hasn't been an update since August as you mentioned. I'm wondering if Aethin is planning on releasing everything left at once before January, or if the project will continue into 2020.

I think that was an optimistic estimate on Aethin's part, and assumed his job and other responsibilities wouldn't interfere with the project.

Speaking as a tester for the patch, another update is imminent - I'll let him post the details.

On 12/14/2019 at 3:03 AM, MrMinus said:

Is there still progress? It hasn't been updated in 5 months...

Five months? Pffft, what calendar are you using? Surely it hasn't been—

478970041_ohcrap.png.22b5a49fd1dbf805769b4bb643500cf3.png

Dammit.

Well, I've returned from the dead again to bring you Chapter 12, but only the main mission for now. Sorry if that's disappointing, but I really wanted to push something out so people would know that I'm still alive and have come back from my longer-than-I-should've-taken hiatus. As requested/advised, I've removed the projected release date from the OP, and I won't be adding a new one so that I don't make any more promises to break.

Anyway, with that disappointing news out of the way, here's the new patch.

Take, your, time. We are thankful for your charitable effort!

On the bright side, the next update Paramythis be playable surrounded entirely by English! I don't know anything about her other than being this game's equivalent of Sword-Staff Troubadour, but she sure looks mature, confident and pretty!

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Take, your, time. We are thankful for your charitable effort!

On the bright side, the next update Paramythis be playable surrounded entirely by English! I don't know anything about her other than being this game's equivalent of Sword-Staff Troubadour, but she sure looks mature, confident and pretty!

Spoiler

She first appeared in chapter 3, so that's not entirely true. 😉

2 hours ago, Hippo King said:

Holy shit my lord and savior. Thanks so much!!! 😍

BTW does anyone know how to see how happy a mercenary is?

Unfortunately that would be a programming nightmare to implement. You'll need to track it manually. The following page will help: https://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Berwick_Saga_Calculations#Mercenary_Happiness

Edited by Fields

15 minutes ago, Hippo King said:

Thanks. I have to put my rant again... The hit system in this game is just absolutely garbage. I dont know who Kaga assigned this task of designing to. But that person single handedly destroyed this game for me. 

Could you be more specific? Unaided hitrates can be bad, but there are several ways of improving them. Aggro_Incarnate discusses this at length here: https://old.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/8l9jeo/berwick_saga_and_middling_hit_percentages_thoughts/dzexdik/

Generally if you're training weaker characters like Ruby, do it in the side missions where missing attacks is less of an issue (besides, for training shield skill you need to be struck by the enemy anyway). Keep in mind that you can outrange the enemy to reduce chances for them to retaliate when you miss (eg pilums vs 0 range enemies), and be aware of the turn order at all times.

Edited by Fields

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

On the bright side, the next update Paramythis be playable surrounded entirely by English! I don't know anything about her other than being this game's equivalent of Sword-Staff Troubadour, but she sure looks mature, confident and pretty

Paramythis was the character that really caught my attention, before I even knew there was a patch for this game in the making. I'll admit, though, it was not her looks or anything like that, it was her name.

Paramythis. You cannot read a name like that and not wonder what kind of character it belongs to.

6 hours ago, Hippo King said:

BTW does anyone know how to see how happy a mercenary is?

You don't, because Kaga is a great guy sometimes. If you don't want to keep track of all the happiness, just make sure to invite your favourite mercenaries over for dinner every chance you get, deploy them often and recruit them for every chapter. May be a bit overkill, but better to be safe than sorry.

4 hours ago, Hippo King said:

I have to put my rant again... The hit system in this game is just absolutely garbage. I dont know who Kaga assigned this task of designing to. But that person single handedly destroyed this game for me. 

The thing about Berwick Saga is that hitting accomplishes a lot more than in FE. You don't just damage the enemy by hitting them, you also stop them from retaliating. If the player hitrates were consistently high at all times, the game would be ridiculously easy. Besides, the game gives you a lot of tools to counter bad hitrates - accurate weapons, skills such as Commander, Aim or Charisma, weapons with multiple hits... it's a matter of using your tools wisely to achieve maximum reliability. You can't really go into this game expecting to always have over 70% hit, like in FE. This game isn't designed like that, you need to play smart and work for those hitrates.

I know the way thia game works around on basic stuffs though. What am angry about is when my unit with 92% hit rate miss and my enemy with 23% one hit. Just blew my mind. I always let reese with his + 10 hit rate around and my average hit rate is 70 to 90%. But.... Its just sad and frustrating.

And yea thosr lowly level soldiers hit my unit more than i can count smh. Terrain bonus or not. Also the turn ur unit hit or miss is predetermined. What i mean is if ur hit rate is not 100% on the turn your unit have to miss then you will miss, 100%. It has no random seed.

Edited by Hippo King

1 hour ago, Hippo King said:

I know the way thia game works around on basic stuffs though. What am angry about is when my unit with 92% hit rate miss and my enemy with 23% one hit. Just blew my mind. I always let reese with his + 10 hit rate around and my average hit rate is 70 to 90%. But.... Its just sad and frustrating.

Okay, no offense, but... this is entirely your problem. You need to accept that if it's not 100%, it might just miss, and if it's not 0%, it may hit. That's the way probability works. Especially since this game (I'm pretty sure) uses 1RN, rather than the True Hit system we're accustomed to in modern FE games. 23% is almost a 1 in 4 chance to get hit. It's unrealistic to expect to be untouchable with those odds.

Not to mention, this sort of thing also happens in FE games. I've had more 70% misses in games with True Hit than I can count, and 40% chances always find the worst possible times to nail my units. So how come it's a gamebreaking problem in Berwick Saga, but in FE it's perfectly fine? It's the exact same thing!

Please don't blame Kaga or anybody else for your bad luck. That's just what it is, you were unlucky. Better luck next time. But if you allow the RNG to "single handedly destroy" the game for you, then I simply cannot understand why you'd enjoy FE in general. This is a thing in every single one of these games.

1 hour ago, Hippo King said:

And yea thosr lowly level soldiers hit my unit more than i can count smh. Terrain bonus or not. Also the turn ur unit hit or miss is predetermined. What i mean is if ur hit rate is not 100% on the turn your unit have to miss then you will miss, 100%. It has no random seed.

Also, this is completely wrong. Not only is the outcome for similar moves different if you reload a save (I should know, I rigged some of those slippery Enid magic level ups), but a 100% will never miss. Just, never. The game may not be perfect, but one thing it doesn't do is lie to you.

Unless you're using savestates? I have no idea how savestates may affect the RNG. But if that is the case, you really can't blame the game if it starts acting up - you're the one using a tool that was not present in the original game. It's like if I install a bunch of conflicting mods for some game and then blame the game itself when they cause bugs.

Had to make a topic, because I'm so hyped right now :D

I was just playing chapter 12 of your older patch and was sad to see that it was untranslated only to discover that you posted an update just today!! It's like fate is telling me to continue playing Berwick Saga :)))

Also wanted to generally thank you for the wonderful work on the patch, Aethin. Berwick Saga has been my jam after Three Houses kinda disappointed me.. I love the skill system, mercenaries, sidequests and generally everything Berwick Saga has done has been a major improvement to me. And big part of that is its story.

Is there any way to donate to you for your great work on the patch or to give you motivation? Because I'm thrilled to continue playing.

BTW, are there other people playing your patch and discussing Berwick Saga right now? I'm trying to go as blind as possible but would like to discuss some stuff with other people...

For example, in the chapter where you siege a castle in Bornia as a distraction for Vester to have the chance to talk with Alvina, I was wondering if other people had the experience that the ballista at the top of the castle is untouchable if you don't have 100% hit rate? I reloaded about 6 times and always missed with Sylvis having a hit rate of 99% and I know that reloading changes the calculations (which is genius by the way)

Does anyone know if Aethin is german by the way? His post up top gives the impression, would be a nice coincidence, if so

52 minutes ago, Pathas said:

Had to make a topic, because I'm so hyped right now 😄

I was just playing chapter 12 of your older patch and was sad to see that it was untranslated only to discover that you posted an update just today!! It's like fate is telling me to continue playing Berwick Saga :)))

Also wanted to generally thank you for the wonderful work on the patch, Aethin. Berwick Saga has been my jam after Three Houses kinda disappointed me.. I love the skill system, mercenaries, sidequests and generally everything Berwick Saga has done has been a major improvement to me. And big part of that is its story.

Are you me? This is me down to a t. All three paragraphs of this.

52 minutes ago, Pathas said:

Is there any way to donate to you for your great work on the patch or to give you motivation? Because I'm thrilled to continue playing.

Allow me to quote the man himself. This is from the FAQ in the OP.

On 1/12/2018 at 7:49 AM, Aethin said:

How do you have time to do this? Are you getting paid to do it? Can I donate?

• I just work on it in my free time, which varies substantially at my job. I'm not getting paid to translate it, and please don't try to pay me for it, either—I don't want Enterbrain or anyone else with legal power to get angry at me for doing this.

So yeah, sadly, the only way you can help him is by letting him know how awesome he is.

Also, if you run into any issues, be it glitches, typos or anything else related to the translation, I encourage you (and everyone else reading this, for that matter) to PM Aethin and send him a screenshot. He has volunteers (myself included) that test the patches before he posts them, so the versions he releases to the public should be mostly clean, but we're only human - we're liable to miss things here and there.

49 minutes ago, Pathas said:

For example, in the chapter where you siege a castle in Bornia as a distraction for Vester to have the chance to talk with Alvina, I was wondering if other people had the experience that the ballista at the top of the castle is untouchable if you don't have 100% hit rate? I reloaded about 6 times and always missed with Sylvis having a hit rate of 99% and I know that reloading changes the calculations (which is genius by the way)

I have no idea, honestly. I never attacked the upper ballista. Didn't even have time to try Barnhardt, Vester just ran in there and the map ended.

49 minutes ago, Pathas said:

Does anyone know if Aethin is german by the way? His post up top gives the impression, would be a nice coincidence, if so

Nah, he's from good ol' 'Murica. Pretty sure the guten tag was just a joke. Referring to his FAQ again, he says he's from Minnesota.

1 hour ago, Pathas said:

BTW, are there other people playing your patch and discussing Berwick Saga right now? I'm trying to go as blind as possible but would like to discuss some stuff with other people...

That map is made easier by a few choices on the player's end:

Spoiler

-Units with Arrowbane (primarily Elbert and Kramer, possibly Ward if you get the food that gives him the skill)

-An Estoc to one-round ballistae and the weaker generics

-Two mages to deal with the bridge guards quickly (this is Enid's best map, she can one-shot a lot of bulky enemies - use guard on her with Ward or maybe Sherpa to keep her safe)

-Czene and\or Larentia to scout for the hidden enemies (Czene also opens the gate for you, even better if she's promoted for that sweet 8 mov)

Larentia can also throw a few pilums for chip damage, but keep in mind the crossbowmen, ballistae and archers can one-shot her if you're not careful. Enemy quality is extremely high at this point.

Edited by Fields