My thoughts on a Binding Blade Remake.

OK, since the success of Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, people have seen that Both stories of Mystery of the Emblem, War of Shadows, and War of Heroes have been remade, and everyone is speculating that Genealogy of the Holy War is going to be remade next, but the Director of Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, Kenta Nakanishi wants to remake Binding Blade next, Binding Blade was fan translated, and wasn't very good, but an official release of a Binding Blade remake will make up for it's mistakes, so here's how I would like the game to be like.

The Gameplay.

The GBA trilogy had amazing gameplay, but out of the 3 Blazing Sword had the best map layouts, the only issue I have with Sacred Stones' map layouts is that it had too many advantages, and the maps were far too easy, except for the final maps of the game, Binding Blade, had a bit of a poor map layout, honestly since it is going to follow the same maps of Binding Blade, I think this will be left unchanged unfortunately.

The Difficulty.

The Hard mode can be unlocked if you complete the game once, and some units get bonuses, in Hard Mode, but if Intelligent Systems manage to put Normal, and Hard Mode on it on the 1st gameplay, and once Hard Mode is completed, Lunatic Mode will be available, and considering that New Mystery of the Emblem carried out the Casual Mode for new players to enjoy, it will be added on here, but Rutger, Sin, Milady, and Percival get hard mode bonuses, I consider Casual Mode, and Normal Mode to be treated as Easy Mode.

Seperate Paths.

In Chapter 9, you are given the choice between 2 villages to rescue, depending on your choice, it alters the next 2 chapters, if you get Larum, then you'll pick up Echidna, and a better Gonzales, for more effort to train, and a late promotion, if you get Elffin, then you'll get Bartre, and a worse Gonzales, for an early promotion, and less effort to train, also after you get through Retaking the Capital, or Pinnacle of Light, depending on how you level up Shanna, Thea, Sue, and Sin, if Shanna and Thea's levels are higher, you go to Ilia, and if Sue and Sin's levels are higher, you go to Sacae, depending on your choice between Larum, and Elffin, one becomes a playable character while the other is resigned to Fortune Telling, and depending on your choice, one Divine Weapon will be obtained on your own while the other is obtained by the Elimine church and you get either Juno, or Dayan, if you choose to go to Ilia, you get Juno, and Maltet, if you choose to go to Sacae, you get Dayan and Murgleis, I think that it would be interesting to get both of them on your own, 1st you go to Ilia, then you go to Sacae, or there should be multiple conditions of victory to decide which path you should take, like Route the Enemy, you go one route, and the other route, you Defend a Stronghold, or Seize one.

The characters.

You know what's a load of shit? Thieves cannot promote into Assassins in Binding Blade, and Assassins are rare enemies, the only notable ones are Jerme, Gecko, Jamil, and Porcus, and if you count the Master Ninjas, the only notable one is Kotaro, returning the Assassin Class can help Chad be a better assassin than most of the Assassins in the series, the only ones he might not surpass in the series, are Jaffar, and Matthew, and Astolfo a slightly better unit, and all around Cath Sucks, plus some of the characters were pretty shitty, Sophia, Gwendolyn, Treck, Cath, etc. and some of the characters had no personality, Roy is nowhere worse as Kris, and Corrin, having no personality, and shitty growth rates, But there were great units such as Lilina, Milady, Clarine, Percival, Raigh, Rutger, Dieck, it would be good to fix some of the bad characters' stats and the Child Units, by adding Blazing Sword in the Remake, putting in the Parent System, making Roy's growth rates better, Lilina easier to train, Wolt a better unit, etc. And I'm wondering what happened to Lyn, maybe she died, or maybe she disappeared, and who is she married to, Eliwood is less likely because Eliwood's supports and some evidence shows that he married Ninian, Lyn Marrying Kent on the other hand, not likely, but the only possible husbands for Lyn are Hector, and Rath, making her the mother of either Lilina or Sue, but unfortunately, if they reveal who Lyn's real husband is, then it will effect the entire fanbase, a flame war will begin, then again, they might have Lyn remain single, Lyn never made an appearance in Binding Blade, so we are unsure what happened to her during the events of Binding Blade, however there are other characters that appeared as playable characters in Binding Blade, those being Marcus, Bartre, and Karel, so why not bring back older characters like Matthew and Raven, I was glad they didn't remove the support system in Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, supports show the characters their full personalities, but Zephiel is one of the most well written villains in the series.

Weapon Forging.

Weapon Forging is an iconic addition to Fire Emblem, it 1st appeared in Path of Radiance, then continued on in the later games, so it would be nice to have Weapon Forging, those who don't know about Weapon Forging, it is a thing where you upgrade weapons, having their strength, critical rate, and accuracy increased, if Intelligent Systems can, they can decrease some weapon weight, so that units with low constitution, and speed can wield heavier weapons, plus the Divine Weapons were breakable in Binding Blade, which was a load of bullshit, but if they make them unbreakable it will be better.

Trial Maps.

The Trial Maps were added after reaching a certain condition in completing Binding Blade, some of them even needs you to download them, but adding them as DLC can make the Trial Maps available right away, the old maps will not require you to pay for them, but adding in new maps will.

That's all I have right now, what are your thoughts? If they manage to remake Binding Blade, then it would be known as Fire Emblem Echoes: Legends of Elibe, or something like that.

Edited by TheXGamer

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I think you're overreaching... Also, imho, I fail to see how Zephiel was one of the most well-written villains in the series.

Anyways, one thing that really needs improvement is balance - FE6 is the most unbalanced game in the series this side of FE4. Also, I hope they do something about the support system... the GBA support system is just not well-liked.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

3 hours ago, TheXGamer said:

by adding Blazing Sword in the Remake, putting in the Parent System, making Roy's growth rates better, Lilina easier to train, Wolt a better unit, etc. And I'm wondering what happened to Lyn, maybe she died, or maybe she disappeared, and who is she married to, Eliwood is less likely because Eliwood's supports and some evidence shows that he married Ninian, Lyn Marrying Kent on the other hand, not likely, but the only possible husbands for Lyn are Hector, and Rath, making her the mother of either Lilina or Sue, but unfortunately, if they reveal who Lyn's real husband is, then it will effect the entire fanbase, a flame war will begin, then again, they might have Lyn remain single, Lyn never made an appearance in Binding Blade, so we are unsure what happened to her during the events of Binding Blad

Do you realize just how tough that is? To combine two games into one? Not to mention to make improvements adjustments, voice acting, new things likely to be added, and such? Very hard. 

Not to mention, why is Kent not likely for Lyn? They do have a paired ending. Is it cause they don't have kids? If Lyn can be single, she can be with a man that brings no kids. Or hell, maybe they do have kids that will get added in the remake. They created Berkut, Fernand, Faye, and Conrad after all in SoV. 

It wouldn't even surprise me if we have Mark showing up, and looking like Robin. Since you know, Lyn comments in Warriors that Robin looks just like the tactician. 

4 hours ago, TheXGamer said:

by adding Blazing Sword in the Remake, putting in the Parent System

No. Just no. This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Have you even thought about how much work that would be to have two games in one...? ...I highly doubt you have. And this is ignoring whatever other stuff that they do (improvements, additions, etc.).

A lot of people seem to be itching for an FE4 ripoff, starring Elibe characters. If they added skills, I could see it working. There's not much for the parent units to pass down otherwise. 

Kinda detracts from what makes FE4 unique, but that's my opinion. And after the parent/child system failed in Fates, I'd think people would want to hold off on that for a while.  

Anyone know how much Japan cares about FE7? Last I checked, they didn't care for it much. Like, not hatred, just meh.

"And I'm wondering what happened to Lyn, maybe she died, or maybe she disappeared, and who is she married to." 

Lyn was an afterthought, she likely didn't even exist conceptually while Binding Blade was in development. Her entire story arc is just a tutorial, and she's nearly irrelevant to the main story. 

Given how proud she is of her Sacaen heritage, she likely married Rath.

"Divine Weapons were breakable in Binding Blade, which was a load of bullshit, but if they make them unbreakable it will be better." 

Keep in mind that the weapons of Elibe were severely worn. Even Jugdral's weapons had limited uses. Unbreakable Divine Weapons would make the game too easy don't you think? Unless they significantly increase the difficulty. 

1 hour ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

No. Just no. This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Have you even thought about how much work that would be to have two games in one...? ...I highly doubt you have. And this is ignoring whatever other stuff that they do (improvements, additions, etc.).

2 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Do you realize just how tough that is? To combine two games into one? Not to mention to make improvements adjustments, voice acting, new things likely to be added, and such? Very hard. 

Eh, with all the Heroes money, I think they can afford it.   

4 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

"Also, imho, I fail to see how Zephiel was one of the most well-written villains in the series."

He's one of the better villains in the series. Which isn't saying too much. 

32 minutes ago, Køkø said:

Given how proud she is of her Sacaen heritage, she likely married Rath.

She's proud of her Sacaean heritage, yes. That in itself doesn't make her likely to marry Rath. Especially given how little the interaction between the two actually is.

Edited by Just call me AL

29 minutes ago, Just call me AL said:

She's proud of her Sacaean heritage, yes. That in itself doesn't make her likely to marry Rath. Especially given how little the interaction between the two actually is.

It kinda does, but okay....

48 minutes ago, Just call me AL said:

There are ultimately 2 pairings for Lyn that actually make sense for her character for me. Both of them are the two that allow her to stay in the plains. Any other ending where Lyn goes off to live in a castle seems like a total betrayal to her character, and Lyn has way more interactions with Eliwood and Hector than Rath and Kent, and the former 2 have her go off to live in a castle, while the latter 2 are the ones that let her be where she wants to be.

So I think there's an argument against saying she only makes sense marrying people she interacts with a bunch.

As for the Binding remake... Fix the maps. Fix the balance. Add objectives that aren't just "Seize". And for God's sake, don't just remake Binding Blade for the sake of it. As much as it makes sense to bring out ASAP because it's never made it outside of Japan and people like Roy from Smash, it makes more sense to remake FE7 first. With the way the games play off each other, I feel like an FE6 remake would benefit a lot more from being a proper follow-up to FE7, as opposed to FE7 being a prequel.

Edited by Slumber

18 minutes ago, Køkø said:

No, it really doesn't. She has paired endings with others, meaning that any of the candidates are possibly canonical. Rath is possible, but so are Kent, Hector, etc. 

1 hour ago, Køkø said:

Eh, with all the Heroes money, I think they can afford it.   

What about time? Would they really invest so much time on it? The game you're referring to would require a lot of effort to polish up, adjust, and so forth. 

1 hour ago, Køkø said:

Keep in mind that the weapons of Elibe were severely worn. Even Jugdral's weapons had limited uses. Unbreakable Divine Weapons would make the game too easy don't you think? Unless they significantly increase the difficulty. 

Falchion never wears, dulls, nor breaks, and that weapon has existed for several thousand years. The only thing that ever broke were the guard and handle, while the blade always remained the same.

26 minutes ago, Slumber said:

There are ultimately 2 pairings for Lyn that actually make sense for her character for me. Both of them are the two that allow her to stay in the plains. Any other ending where Lyn goes off to live in a castle seems like a total betrayal to her character, and Lyn has way more interactions with Eliwood and Hector than Rath and Kent, and the former 2 have her go off to live in a castle, while the latter 2 are the ones that let her be where she wants to be.

Living in a Castle is hardly a "total betrayal to Lyn's character" when Lyn doesn't even mention wanting to return to Sacae outside of anything that can be influenced by supports. 

40 minutes ago, Køkø said:

The following response sums up what I want to say pretty nicely.

18 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

No, it really doesn't. She has paired endings with others, meaning that any of the candidates are possibly canonical. Rath is possible, but so are Kent, Hector, etc. 

Adding to that, Hector's the only one among the ones listed who has the most interaction with Lyn out of each other's potential spouses. And considering I.S.'s track record with FE couples with plenty of interaction...

1 minute ago, Just call me AL said:

Adding to that, Hector's the only one among the ones listed who has the most interaction with Lyn out of each other's potential spouses. And considering I.S.'s track record with FE couples with plenty of interaction...

But there's also the issue with how Rath's only paired ending can be with Lyn. Similar to Sumia (though I don't mind much), it feels like they tried to force Rath and Lyn together more or less.

Kent is viable due to how he does have canon feelings for her. The only question is whether we let the feelings be reciprocated.

29 minutes ago, Just call me AL said:

And considering I.S.'s track record with FE couples with plenty of interaction...

I'm struggling to think of many beyond Ninian and Eliwood, and even that one's still not technically canon.

Alm and Celica have a total of two scenes together that aren't a flashback before the end of the game. Gray and Claire get maybe one or two scenes that aren't supports together. Sigurd and Deirdre have about 4 lines of dialogue together before they get married, which up to that point, isn't much more than what Sigurd gets with Edain. Mareeta gets arguably more screentime than Nanna in FE5, yet, Leif marries Nanna. Bartre and Karla get a single scene together. Calill and Largo get NO scenes together as far as I recall. Micaiah and Sothe might be the one case where there's really substantial time between canon love interests.

Edited by Slumber

7 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

But there's also the issue with how Rath's only paired ending can be with Lyn. Similar to Sumia (though I don't mind much), it feels like they tried to force Rath and Lyn together more or less.

Not really. As, like I mentioned before, they don't get much interaction. That's the main difference between Lyn/Rath and Chrom/Sumia. There's not even a special scene between Lyn and Rath as there is between Chrom and Sumia. If anything, Hector/Lyn's the one amongst Lyn's pairs that's closest to Chrom/Sumia due to having special scenes.

Edited by Just call me AL

1 minute ago, Just call me AL said:

Not really. As, like I mentioned before, they don't get much interaction. That's the main difference between Lyn/Rath and Chrom/Sumia. There's not even a special scene between Lyn and Rath as there is between Chrom and Sumia. If anything, Hector/Lyn's the one amongst Lyn's pairs that's closest to Chrom/Sumia.

Well, as Slumber just said, several other canonical couples didn't actually have that much interaction with one another. So I don't think interaction is the key to the pairings. 

52 minutes ago, Slumber said:

That's what I'm saying.  

41 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Where did I say she didn't?  

"But there's also the issue with how Rath's only paired ending can be with Lyn. Similar to Sumia (though I don't mind much), it feels like they tried to force Rath and Lyn together more or less." 

So why don't you understand how I came to my conclusion?

"What about time? Would they really invest so much time on it?" 

How should I know?  

"Falchion never wears, dulls, nor breaks, and that weapon has existed for several thousand years. The only thing that ever broke were the guard and handle, while the blade always remained the same." 

Lore wise, Falchion is not on the level of Elibe's weapons. 

Edited by Køkø

2 minutes ago, Køkø said:

Where did I say she didn't?  

So why don't you understand how I came to my conclusion?

Felt like you were saying that the others weren't even possible candidates. 

How should I know?  

Far too long.

If you are implying that Falchion is weaker than the Elibe weapons, you are most certainly wrong. 

5 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Felt like you were saying that the others weren't even possible candidates.

Please read next time. 

"If you are implying that Falchion is weaker than the Elibe weapons, you are most certainly wrong." 

If you can show me when Falchion warped the laws of physics and sapped energy from the universe itself and all living creatures in the vicinity, please do.

Edited by Køkø

14 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I'm struggling to think of many beyond Ninian and Eliwood, and even that one's still not technically canon.

Alm and Celica have a total of two scenes together that aren't a flashback before the end of the game. Gray and Claire get maybe one or two scenes that aren't supports together. Sigurd and Deirdre have about 4 lines of dialogue together before they get married, which up to that point, isn't much more than what Sigurd gets with Edain. Mareeta gets arguably more screentime than Nanna in FE5, yet, Leif marries Nanna. Bartre and Karla get a single scene together. Calill and Largo get NO scenes together as far as I recall. Micaiah and Sothe might be the one case where theyre's really substantial time between canon love interests.

You're forgetting Marth/Caeda and Lewyn/Erinis. And among those not technically canon, Roy/Lilina, and Corrin/Azura.

11 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Well, as Slumber just said, several other canonical couples didn't actually have that much interaction with one another. So I don't think interaction is the key to the pairings. 

But it is a factor. At the very least, it helps make the pair come across as believable and plausible, and it makes people want to ship the pair. (Though, I'll admit, it backfires in some cases such as the aforementioned Chrom/Sumia.) 

At any rate, in the case of Lyn's possible spouses, there's really no reason to believe that Rath in particular didn't just find another woman and make Sue. Given how things are presented in FE7, that's likely how things turn out.

6 minutes ago, Køkø said:

That's what I'm saying.

And again, Lyn doesn't say that she wants to return to Sacae outside of anything influenced by supports. However, she does start crying after she hears Uther has died, regardless of who she's supported with, if suppported with anyone at all.

Falchion in FE2 and Echoes is shown to be able to kill Duma. In the latter, the Binding Blade can do the same. What reason is there to believe that Falchion and Elibe's Divine Weapons have different power levels?

Just now, Just call me AL said:

And again, Lyn doesn't say that she wants to return to Sacae outside of anything influenced by supports. However, she does start crying after she hears Uther has died, regardless of who she's supported with, if suppported with anyone at all.

It seems you and I interpret Lyn very differently. 

"Falchion in FE2 and Echoes is shown to be able to kill Duma. In the latter, the Binding Blade can do the same. What reason is there to believe that Falchion and Elibe's Divine Weapons have different power levels?: 

http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Ending_Winter

2 minutes ago, Just call me AL said:

But it is a factor. At the very least, it helps make the pair come across as believable and plausible, and it makes people want to ship the pair. (Though, I'll admit, it backfires in some cases such as the aforementioned Chrom/Sumia.) 

At any rate, in the case of Lyn's possible spouses, there's really no reason to believe that Rath in particular didn't just find another woman and make Sue. Given how things are presented in FE7, that's likely how things turn out.

Yes. It is a factor and does make things feel like they'd work. But I'm just saying that interaction isn't all that determines the pairings in the end. 

1 minute ago, Køkø said:

"Falchion in FE2 and Echoes is shown to be able to kill Duma. In the latter, the Binding Blade can do the same. What reason is there to believe that Falchion and Elibe's Divine Weapons have different power levels?: 

http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Ending_Winter

Need I point out the fine print about how the weapons themselves are not the cause of the Eternal Winter? It was the clash between the dragons and the weapons that caused it. By themselves, the weapons were never THAT powerful. But when two forces clash, the impact causes a large release of energy. 

Falchion is a weapon that is called a godslayer, able to defeat powerful dragons that are in a league of their own, such as Duma, Medeus, and Grima.

Just now, omegaxis1 said:

Need I point out the fine print about how the weapons themselves are not the cause of the Eternal Winter? It was the clash between the dragons and the weapons that caused it. By themselves, the weapons were never THAT powerful. But when two forces clash, the impact causes a large release of energy. 

Falchion is a weapon that is called a godslayer, able to defeat powerful dragons that are in a league of their own, such as Duma, Medeus, and Grima.

Did Falchion ever cause such a thing after all it's clashes with those dragons? It's implied that Elibe's weapons were much more powerful back then than during the events of FE7-FE6. Is lore isn't enough for you, here's the BB in its weakest state. 

Rank Uses Mt Hit Crt Rng Wt WEx Worth
Prf 20 18 95% 10% 1-2 8 1 -

Roy only; Bestows bonuses of Def+5 and Res+5 upon its wielder.
Effective against Manaketes; May be used as a consumable item in order to restore 30 HP. 

Here's Falchion it its strongest.

E - 15 80% 10% 1  ? -
Effect

Wieldable only by Chrom; effective against dragon units and evil dragon units. Can be used to recover 20 HP.

Just now, Køkø said:

Did Falchion ever cause such a thing after all it's clashes with those dragons? It's implied that Elibe's weapons were much more powerful back then than during the events of FE7-FE6. Is lore isn't enough for you, here's the BB in its weakest state. 

Rank Uses Mt Hit Crt Rng Wt WEx Worth
Prf 20 18 95% 10% 1-2 8 1 -

Roy only; Bestows bonuses of Def+5 and Res+5 upon its wielder.
Effective against Manaketes; May be used as a consumable item in order to restore 30 HP. 

Here's Falchion it its strongest.

E - 15 80% 10% 1  ? -
Effect

Wieldable only by Chrom; effective against dragon units and evil dragon units. Can be used to recover 20 HP.

Once again, ALL of the weapons were needed to clash against the force of the dragons to cause it, not just one. Falchion is but one blade and its power held Naga's own strength, meaning the strength of the strongest dragon, thus there were no other dragon that could even rival the weapon. And the very fact that the power of the Elibe is implied to have degraded over time just cements more on Falchion being even superior, as its power was never dulled, but rather only forced to be sealed, and only after Falchion had a new blessing that was made to seal Grima, since Grima was impossible to be killed. 

Gameplay mechanics don't really prove much, except how its used in gameplay. 

5 minutes ago, Køkø said:

It seems you and I interpret Lyn very differently.

In what scene outside of supports does Lyn mention wanting to return to Sacae? The only scene I can think of where she does is when she's speaking to Eliwood in Ostia's castle town. And that  conversation changes depending on Lyn's supports. If she has an A support with Eliwood before she speaks with him in Ostia, instead of saying that she wants to return to Sacae, Lyn praises Eliwood. If she has an A support with Hector, the conversation she has with Eliwood in Ostia's castle town  is reduced to merely two lines, with Lyn not saying anything and Eliwood telling Lyn to not keep the rest of the group waiting.

12 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Yes. It is a factor and does make things feel like they'd work. But I'm just saying that interaction isn't all that determines the pairings in the end. 

Duly noted. But either way, I.S. doesn't seem likely to want to make Lyn/Rath canon. 

On the idea of FE6's Divine Weapons having infinite uses- not without serious drawbacks. This is the game that gives you Durandal 9 fights into the game. Sure no one likely has S Swords by that point, but the early availability of the strongest physical legendary this early is a bit too broken were it to have infinite uses. Armads and Forblaze are to lesser extents too available to be infinite.