Questions about Supports (and three on Binding Blade)

Hawkwing

I started Binding Blade today, and I just beat chapter 3. I also beat Lyn's story in Blazing Sword yesterday, and I plan on playing Sacred Stones sometime in the future. Anyway, I have a few questions about how the support system in the GBA games works.

By the way, I've already had a support between Roy and Wolt, as well as Wade and Lott, and I know that there is a 5-support limit, so I have some experience with the system, even if it is limited.

So without further ado:

1. At what point in the game does the support system become available in Blazing Sword and Sacred Stones?
  2. Are any support points gained in Lyn's story?
  3. Are support points gained at the beginning or end of the player phase?
  4. Do actions such as healing add any points, or are they gained solely by standing next to someone?
  5. I know that there is a limit to the amount of points that can be gained in a chapter, but are there any limits to the amount of supports that can be had in one?
  6. If, say, a character reaches an A-support with someone, but then the other person dies, will they be able to reach another A-support, or will the dead person count towards the 5-support limit?

I also have three questions about Binding Blade specifically, not related to supports:

Spoiler
  1. Which Gaiden chapters hold the Diving weapons required for getting the good ending to the game?
  2. How well does the game handle permadeath? I'm curious if the game provides the player with enough units that they can spare loosing a few, or if there are a lot of one-of-a-kind units which makes it better to reset after any death.
  3. Does Zephial's battle theme really play even with the music turned off? I have the music and sound turned off as my emulator uncomfortably screeches and distorts the sound otherwise, but I listen to youtube music to hear something, and I don't want to be unpleasantly surprised.

8 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

So without further ado:

1. At what point in the game does the support system become available in Blazing Sword and Sacred Stones?
  2. Are any support points gained in Lyn's story?
  3. Are support points gained at the beginning or end of the player phase?
  4. Do actions such as healing add any points, or are they gained solely by standing next to someone?
  5. I know that there is a limit to the amount of points that can be gained in a chapter, but are there any limits to the amount of supports that can be had in one?
  6. If, say, a character reaches an A-support with someone, but then the other person dies, will they be able to reach another A-support, or will the dead person count towards the 5-support limit?

1. Right away in Sacred Stones, after Lyn Mode in Blazing Sword.

2. No, LM features no Supports nor Support growth.

3. I'd say beginning, not that it really matters. To gain any points, the characters must end their turns adjacent to each other and if either is moved elsewhere before the entire turn for the heroes' group is over via Warp, Rescue, or a Song/Dance, you don't any Support points.

4. Nope, only standing adjacent for a turn gives points.

5. In Blazing and SS, you can only gain enough points to cue the next level of a Support in a given battle. I think you can gain a Support level in one chapter and then build points for the next level in the same fight, but you can't initiate the convo for the next level until the next battle. In Binding Blade, you can only make so many Supports in a given chapter:

"Points needed for each level of support:

60 points are needed for a C support

120 points is needed for a B support (60 points to go from C to B)

200 points is needed for an A support (80 points to go from B to A)

A maximum amount of 120 points can be accumulated for all characters per chapter. For example, in Chapter 20, Roy and Lilina use up 60 points to go from a C support to a B support, leaving 60 points left for other characters. If Roy and Wolt also use 60 points up in the same chapter, no other characters can gain support points in the same chapter."

6. I think the dead person will count. But I'm not so sure on this one.

18 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

Which Gaiden chapters hold the Diving weapons required for getting the good ending to the game?

All of them. The Gaidens exist solely for Divine Weapon acquiring, they have little plot or reason beyond this. Obviously you need only one of the Sacae/Ilia Gaidens, since you can't suddenly go to the other place. Yodel will bring the other of the Ilia/Sacae weapons with him afterwards.

And of course make sure none of the Divine Weapons break before the post-Zephiel chapters. The Saint's Staff is not a Divine Weapon, so you can go ahead and burn through it.

1. In Blazing Blade, It's at the start of Eliwood's story. Sacred Stones is probably right from the start.

2. To my knowledge, no.

3. Uncertain, but I assume player phase.

4. Only standing next to another unit yields points.

5. I think Binding Blade is the only game where there's a limit on point gain per chapter. Blazing Blade and Sacred Stones lack a point cap or support cap per chapter as far as I'm aware.

6. I don't think death removes any gained supports.

Binding Blade Questions:

1. All of them.

2. I haven't gotten far enough to know what units are viable, but the game has 54 units in game.

3. No idea.

1. After Lyn's mode for Blazing Sword... I thought you get them from the start in Sacred Stones? But if you don't, then I would assume probably chapter 8.

2. I believe so

3. I fail to see why this question matters? It's not like you can change their positions on enemy phase

4. Only standing next to someone.

5. In Blazing Sword and Sacred Stones, Character A and Character B can only level up their support level with each other once per chapter.... but Character A has the ability to raise the support level with Character C if they want. Two people can't just raise support levels with each other more than once per chapter.

In Binding Blade, you only get 60 support points per chapter.

6. I believe it frees up a slot.

*Don't try this with Pent and Louise, I'm fairly certain if one of them dies, the other will flee

Spoiler

1. All of them

2. Yeah, but I mean but like most Fire Emblem games. Try not to let them die.

3. I have no idea because I never play with the music off. But I know if you turn off animations, it's still plays Zephiel's animations.

Edited by DarkDestr0yer61

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I think you can gain a Support level in one chapter and then build points for the next level in the same fight, but you can't initiate the convo for the next level until the next battle.

Confirming that. If you press "end turn" often enough after unlocking a support level, you can unlock the next one right at the beginning of the next chapter in FE7 and 8.

7 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

How well does the game handle permadeath? I'm curious if the game provides the player with enough units that they can spare loosing a few, or if there are a lot of one-of-a-kind units which makes it better to reset after any death.

No unit is completely irreplaceable, but their direct replacements are usually pretty underleveled, which automatically makes them worse than the original. For example, you'll be able to recruit two more cavaliers in chapter 7, but it's general consensus that they can't hold a candle to Allen and Lance. Losing a unit will sting, but unless you let all of your A team die, it won't make the game unwinnable.

However, there is a list of units that need to be alive in order to unlock certain gaiden chapters, all of which are needed to unlock the good ending. The main site has a list, and I would advise that you check it. All of the gaiden requirements are just "{unit} must be recruited and alive" and usually a turn limit for the previous chapter, but the game won't tell you the exact requirements (although it often hints that you have to hurry) and it's nice to know when you're secretly put on a timer. ;)

On 1/13/2018 at 8:16 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Which Gaiden chapters hold the Diving weapons required for getting the good ending to the game?

All of them. The Gaidens exist solely for Divine Weapon acquiring, they have little plot or reason beyond this. Obviously you need only one of the Sacae/Ilia Gaidens, since you can't suddenly go to the other place. Yodel will bring the other of the Ilia/Sacae weapons with him afterwards.

And of course make sure none of the Divine Weapons break before the post-Zephiel chapters. The Saint's Staff is not a Divine Weapon, so you can go ahead and burn through it.

On 1/13/2018 at 8:25 PM, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

All of them

On 1/13/2018 at 8:18 PM, Chconroy said:

All of them.

*Internal screaming* This is fine. I suppose it's not to hard to obtain them if you know what you're doing, right?

On 1/13/2018 at 8:25 PM, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

I have no idea because I never play with the music off. But I know if you turn off animations, it's still plays Zephiel's animations.

I may have mixed the two up, with his animations overriding the option to turn it off. Still, I don't want to be surprised when this happens.

On 1/14/2018 at 3:49 AM, ping said:

No unit is completely irreplaceable, but their direct replacements are usually pretty underleveled, which automatically makes them worse than the original. For example, you'll be able to recruit two more cavaliers in chapter 7, but it's general consensus that they can't hold a candle to Allen and Lance. Losing a unit will sting, but unless you let all of your A team die, it won't make the game unwinnable.

However, there is a list of units that need to be alive in order to unlock certain gaiden chapters, all of which are needed to unlock the good ending. The main site has a list, and I would advise that you check it. All of the gaiden requirements are just "{unit} must be recruited and alive" and usually a turn limit for the previous chapter, but the game won't tell you the exact requirements (although it often hints that you have to hurry) and it's nice to know when you're secretly put on a timer. ;)

So it's similar to Shadow Dragon/Mystery of the Emblem in the sense that you get more units than you need, but the ones you get later aren't as good as the former. I'm fine with that. I just asked because the child mechanic in Awakening (and propably Fates and Genealogy of the Holy war as well) made the first generation units a little too valuable for my liking, and that was one of the cons of having a small cast in Gaiden/SoV.

Thanks for all the answers! They've helped me out more than you'd think.

4 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

*Internal screaming* This is fine. I suppose it's not to hard to obtain them if you know what you're doing, right?

The Gaiden chapter requirements fairly straightforward. It boils down to either A: Beat chapter under certain number of turns. Or B: Keep X unit alive.

Below are the specific requirements.

Spoiler
8x Lilina must survive Chapter 8
10A, 11A In Chapter 9, don’t visit the right-most village to the north-east
10B, 11B In Chapter 9, visit the right-most village to the north-east
12x Complete Chapter 12 within 20 turns and Elphin must be alive (if you recruited him)
14x Complete Chapter 14 within 25 turns and Sofiya must be alive
16x Douglas must survive Chapter 16
17A~20A Thany and Tate’s total gained EXP is greater than or equal to Sue and Shin’s total gained EXP
17B~20B Sue and Shin’s total gained EXP is greater than Thany and Tate’s total gained EXP
20xA Complete Chapter 20A within 25 turns; Juno and Zealot must be alive
20xB Complete Chapter 20B within 25 turns; Dayan, Sue and Shin must be alive
21x Complete Chapter 21 within 30 turns; Miredy and Zeis must be alive