Which FE has the best final chapter?

Morswo

2 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Given his huge size, he actually wouldn't be too aerodynamic, so no somersault for him. Plus, who's to say storywise, he didn't? He might have, but it didn't work. Plus, his own Risen could end up falling instead. The heroes would have enough intelligence to use spells or weapons to stick to his back. The Risen wouldn't.

I think the enemies in Awakening Endgame weren't Risen, though, they were Grimleal.

6 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

You know, that massive blast thing is a gimmick that I feel the giant monstrous beings like the final dragon bosses and such should be capable of, but only the possessed Takumi uses. 

Skadi in Heroes... so you want a power creep Takumi.

Right? Why is it that the first Final Boss that does something like that during the actual gameplay(technically Grima nukes the field before the actual fight, but Naga reverses it so lol) is also like the only one NOT some all-powerful dragon/god/etc.? Or…is it just how powerful the Skadi really is? Considering it has the power to create a physical copy of the wielder, which copy is able to interact with and deal damage to the world around it as opposed to just being a simple mirage, it's possible that the Skadi is actually crazy strong - perhaps the opposite of the Yato, like a dark artifact that the people of Fates knew about but even Garon knew not to mess with? …Eh, probably not, but I can pretend. I mean, Takumi's shot practically broke the Yato, right?

As for powercreeped Takumi, I was thinking more like the 'projects a simulacrum of the wielder' effect being added in for retardedness, but sure, why not? Let's put the guy back in the spotlight again.

6 hours ago, Morswo said:

Warriors is a kind of Fire Emblen, I think you can say this. 

Then I liked it very much too - I was kind of expecting it to be easy after not having any problems with the entire story mode, and Velezark…when I heard the Final Boss was a dragon, I pretty much had the same response as Lucina's quote after Velezark returns(How many times must I see this unfold or something like that), but they actually did a much better job than my initial expectations.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

I think the enemies in Awakening Endgame weren't Risen, though, they were Grimleal.

Were they? I couldn't tell.

2 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Right? Why is it that the first Final Boss that does something like that during the actual gameplay(technically Grima nukes the field before the actual fight, but Naga reverses it so lol) is also like the only one NOT some all-powerful dragon/god/etc.? Or…is it just how powerful the Skadi really is? Considering it has the power to create a physical copy of the wielder, which copy is able to interact with and deal damage to the world around it as opposed to just being a simple mirage, it's possible that the Skadi is actually crazy strong - perhaps the opposite of the Yato, like a dark artifact that the people of Fates knew about but even Garon knew not to mess with? …Eh, probably not, but I can pretend. I mean, Takumi's shot practically broke the Yato, right?

As for powercreeped Takumi, I was thinking more like the 'projects a simulacrum of the wielder' effect being added in for retardedness, but sure, why not? Let's put the guy back in the spotlight again.

Though at the same time, Takumi's final boss map is annoying, because you either rescue skip your way to the boss and hope to kill him in one, or go little by little and possibly die as you try to reach Takumi. 

I want a power creeped M!Robin. A new infantry version. Sword unit with exclusive Levin Sword, has a skill similar to a forged Lightning Breath+, and Rally Spectrum that is also exclusive to him. Levin Sword has become more iconic to Robin than anyone else, Gangrel included. So there should be a Robin with Levin Sword, and can be high in the meta chain. Cause the old Robin has really fallen behind with all these OP units coming in left and right.

7 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Were they? I couldn't tell.

I believe you can check by going to the full map view on the bottom screen and checking the faction icons on the right that indicate what factions are involved in the battle. It's been a while, but I think the Endgame map is Ylissean Forces vs Grimleal.

8 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

I want a power creeped M!Robin. A new infantry version. Sword unit with exclusive Levin Sword, has a skill similar to a forged Lightning Breath+, and Rally Spectrum that is also exclusive to him. Levin Sword has become more iconic to Robin than anyone else, Gangrel included. So there should be a Robin with Levin Sword, and can be high in the meta chain. Cause the old Robin has really fallen behind with all these OP units coming in left and right.

Hey, I'll take that too. Ayra wasn't enough, I will not be content until I can point at a new Unit and shout "UNLIMITEEEEEEED……………POWEEEER!!!!!!"

4 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

I believe you can check by going to the full map view on the bottom screen and checking the faction icons on the right that indicate what factions are involved in the battle. It's been a while, but I think the Endgame map is Ylissean Forces vs Grimleal.

Just checked. You're right, they are Grimleal. Huh, that's rather interesting. Grima is the one that creates all the Risen. You'd think he'd only have Risen, but nope. I mean, in SoV, he has infinitely spawning Risen.

5 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Hey, I'll take that too. Ayra wasn't enough, I will not be content until I can point at a new Unit and shout "UNLIMITEEEEEEED……………POWEEEER!!!!!!"

Ayra power creeped the hell out of Lucina. But we do need new and improved versions of the old units. I mean, Zelgius literally power creeped himself.

3 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Just checked. You're right, they are Grimleal. Huh, that's rather interesting. Grima is the one that creates all the Risen. You'd think he'd only have Risen, but nope. I mean, in SoV, he has infinitely spawning Risen.

Ayra power creeped the hell out of Lucina. But we do need new and improved versions of the old units. I mean, Zelgius literally power creeped himself.

It weirded me out too - you have the capability to create a world's worth of undead warriors, and you just use the living ones? I mean, I guess you can make them go twice as long because you just Risen them as soon as they die, but he doesn't do that in-game(though that would have made it easily the best and worst final map for me personally depending on difficulty).

Eh, my Lucina still performs better for me than my Ayra, so…I dunno, if you say so. I mean, the Brave Heroes were kind of that, right? Though…even then, some of them are outperformed by other stuff too, so I guess you have a point.

11 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

It weirded me out too - you have the capability to create a world's worth of undead warriors, and you just use the living ones? I mean, I guess you can make them go twice as long because you just Risen them as soon as they die, but he doesn't do that in-game(though that would have made it easily the best and worst final map for me personally depending on difficulty).

Well, I actually can see some benefits to this. If the Grimleal die, he can absorb them as energy or revive them later as Risen. If they are alive and beat the heroes, good. And he can eat the Grimleal later, too. So it would have been a win win. But they made it way too easy to get to Grima. 

11 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

Eh, my Lucina still performs better for me than my Ayra, so…I dunno, if you say so. I mean, the Brave Heroes were kind of that, right? Though…even then, some of them are outperformed by other stuff too, so I guess you have a point.

Looking at the stats, Ayra naturally outperforms Lucina in multiple aspects, especially since her weapon gives boost in speed, and her personal special lets her hit even harder.

Shadows of Valentia, hands down, mic drop, party and confetti. (However, I'm sorta a fan of Awakening's Final, and Radiant Dawn was quiet interesting too.)

1 hour ago, omegaxis1 said:

Looking at the stats, Ayra naturally outperforms Lucina in multiple aspects, especially since her weapon gives boost in speed, and her personal special lets her hit even harder.

Yeah, I know, but my Ayra's always gotten herself beat into the ground whenever I try to use her, while my Lucina's probably my third most reliable Red Unit behind my Roy and Palla. Could be I got IV-screwed, and I haven't started putting major SI effort into Ayra yet, but then again my SI effort on Lucina is barely above minimal - I think I gave her Shove and some A-Slot that I'd need to go back and check on, and that's it.

I have only beat five (six if we're counting Warriors). The GBA ones didn't really do it for me. SD was...unpleasant for me. SoV started out awesome, but then the enemy spam, Jedah (how is anyone supposed to figure out how to kill him without looking it up?), and the Medusa user(s?) made for a unpleasant slog especially when I had to start over. At least Duma was dumb enough to keep going for the phantoms, but it took a while even then for Alm to score that critical hit. That leaves...Awakening. Guess it wins by default. Though Warriors may beat it if we're counting it.

21 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Honourable Mention goes to Awakening for the villain also being the battlefield. However, enemy placement was disappointing in that I could pretty much send my units straight at the final boss, with very little standing in their way. Also, if Grima knows that the heroes are on his back, why doesn't he just tilt at a steep angle and send everyone plummeting to their deaths?

Grima is incredibly arrogant. Such arrogance might lead Grima to insist on dealing with them directly after all they had done even if victory was a single barrel roll away.

6 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

Grima is incredibly arrogant. Such arrogance might lead Grima to insist on dealing with them directly after all they had done even if victory was a single barrel roll away.

Good point, though I still think it might have added something to the fight. I mean; the final battle happens on Grima's back

Funny enough, I wasn't even thinking of a full barrel roll; I was just thinking of a steep tilt.

9 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Well, I actually can see some benefits to this. If the Grimleal die, he can absorb them as energy or revive them later as Risen. If they are alive and beat the heroes, good. And he can eat the Grimleal later, too. So it would have been a win win. But they made it way too easy to get to Grima. 

Agreed. If they wanted it to just be Grimleal, they could have at least arranged the Grimleal so that they were more in the way. 

6 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

He is arrogant. However, let's not forget that Grima is the ONLY villain that actually won. Without time travel, Grima had secured his victory. Is it really any reason why he SHOULDN'T be arrogant when everything fell into place? His only downfall have in fact been things that he couldn't possibly foresee. 

• Grima indicated that if they changed the past, he would cease to exist, but that's not actually the case. Grima never knew about the multiverse theory. 
  • Grima never figured that Robin would piece the memories that Grima unintentionally gave him to his advantage, which allows him to trick Validar in the end. 
  • He never expected that Robin could resist him to the point that he could break out of his control. And he certainly couldn't have expected that Robin would try to kill him.

This also goes with Grima's Future Past counterpart. That Grima won as well, except:

• Naga sent in reinforcements from other worlds.
  • How was he supposed to know that defiling Mount Prism and killing Tiki would somehow make Ylisstol be the new place to perform the Awakening? 

So despite his arrogance, Grima played the long game, and after his first defeat at the hands of the Exalt, he had already left his mark on the world, and had a cult to try and revive him, and everything ultimately resulted in him winning.

1 minute ago, omegaxis1 said:

He is arrogant. However, let's not forget that Grima is the ONLY villain that actually won. Without time travel, Grima had secured his victory. Is it really any reason why he SHOULDN'T be arrogant when everything fell into place? His only downfall have in fact been things that he couldn't possibly foresee. 

• Grima indicated that if they changed the past, he would cease to exist, but that's not actually the case. Grima never knew about the multiverse theory. 
  • Grima never figured that Robin would piece the memories that Grima unintentionally gave him to his advantage, which allows him to trick Validar in the end. 
  • He never expected that Robin could resist him to the point that he could break out of his control. And he certainly couldn't have expected that Robin would try to kill him.

This also goes with Grima's Future Past counterpart. That Grima won as well, except:

• Naga sent in reinforcements from other worlds.
  • How was he supposed to know that defiling Mount Prism and killing Tiki would somehow make Ylisstol be the new place to perform the Awakening? 

So despite his arrogance, Grima played the long game, and after his first defeat at the hands of the Exalt, he had already left his mark on the world, and had a cult to try and revive him, and everything ultimately resulted in him winning.

True enough, but all that success probably led Grima to believe Chrom was not a threat despite the fact Grima never directly fought Chrom and instead just stabbed him in the back.

Spoiler

Though I think Grima was naturally arrogant as well. Grima was created to be perfect and probably believed it.

Just now, Arthur97 said:

True enough, but all that success probably led Grima to believe Chrom was not a threat despite the fact Grima never directly fought Chrom and instead just stabbed him in the back.

Hide contents

Though I think Grima was naturally arrogant as well. Grima was created to be perfect and probably believed it.

How could he have known? Frankly, with that spikes of doom attack, he easily defeated Chrom and the rest of his army. It's only when things he couldn't have foreseen take effect that Grima gets caught off guard. 

Spoiler

So Grima is Perfect Cell? XD

Anyways, Naga did say that Grima seeks only to add to his own power. Meaning that he seeks to evolve continuously, until he is the most powerful entity in existence. If he had won, he might have actually become just as powerful, if not more powerful, than Ashunera herself.

1 hour ago, omegaxis1 said:

I would like to add that while I hate Valibarf (hence the moniker- except now that I think about it, it might accidentally sound like I'm a Valbar hater), and I criticize him heavily for being so incompetent he couldn't conquer a kindergarten's playground, he did succeed in Lucina World. Admittedly his success in the end was only because Robin chose Grimahood (where is he and Aversa in FP by the way?) while Chrom World Robin didn't. Yet he did kill Emmeryn and severely injured Chrom (was there a Fire Emblem steal too? I forget). The only reason he doesn't do this in Chrom World, is because Lucina prevents it, Chrom otherwise would have suffered the same fate as his Lucina World self and Emmeryn probably the same too. 

I give him no credit for neutralizing Walhart in Chrom World via money and ship giving though, since Chrom is pretty idiotic for trusting a guy this blatantly evil. Where was the Feroxi-Ylissean Occupation Army? How'd they think Plegia would choose a friendly ruler after being regicided by Ylisse and Regna Ferox? Emmeryn's words of peace would have persuaded them to? Obviously Emmeryn wasn't the only thing to fall that day, while everyone paid attention to her, they didn't notice the brain matter slipping out their ears!

Excuse me for that second paragraph, I'm a little like this:LyonEvil:, but it is this guy :kefka: who is inside me.

12 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I would like to add that while I hate Valibarf (hence the moniker- except now that I think about it, it might accidentally sound like I'm a Valbar hater), and I criticize him heavily for being so incompetent he couldn't conquer a kindergarten's playground, he did succeed in Lucina World. Admittedly his success in the end was only because Robin chose Grimahood (where is he and Aversa in FP by the way?) while Chrom World Robin didn't. Yet he did kill Emmeryn and severely injured Chrom (was there a Fire Emblem steal too? I forget). The only reason he doesn't do this in Chrom World, is because Lucina prevents it, Chrom otherwise would have suffered the same fate as his Lucina World self and Emmeryn probably the same too. 

I give him no credit for neutralizing Walhart in Chrom World via money and ship giving though, since Chrom is pretty idiotic for trusting a guy this blatantly evil. Where was the Feroxi-Ylissean Occupation Army? How'd they think Plegia would choose a friendly ruler after being regicided by Ylisse and Regna Ferox? Emmeryn's words of peace would have persuaded them to? Obviously Emmeryn wasn't the only thing to fall that day, while everyone paid attention to her, they didn't notice the brain matter slipping out their ears!

Excuse me for that second paragraph, I'm a little like this:LyonEvil:, but it is this guy :kefka: who is inside me.

Well, it was take the ships or die. I don't see that they trusted him after that, but, again, they needed his gemstone so they had to take a chance. As for his ascension, a multitude of factors (like the fact they're apparently loaded and could therefore potentially bribe certain officials) could have played a part.

Also, pretty sure Grima played a part in Robin's betrayal there. If Future Past is anything to go by, Robin was very much an unwilling participant in all that so saying that Robin "chose" it probably isn't accurate. Yes, the future one says that they chose it, but can you really trust someone who acts so unlike the person they are claiming to be?

4 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Also, pretty sure Grima played a part in Robin's betrayal there. If Future Past is anything to go by, Robin was very much an unwilling participant in all that so saying that Robin "chose" it probably isn't accurate. Yes, the future one says that they chose it, but can you really trust someone who acts so unlike the person they are claiming to be?

I forgot about that part of Future Past. Not sure if I like it, since it takes agency away from the Robin of what would then become Lucina's doomed world. Won't fight it though.

10 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Well, it was take the ships or die. I don't see that they trusted him after that, but, again, they needed his gemstone so they had to take a chance. As for his ascension, a multitude of factors (like the fact they're apparently loaded and could therefore potentially bribe certain officials) could have played a part.

True, the Feroxi port battle was good enough evidence of what Walhart was capable of (or rather a prelude to what he was really capable of). And being the leader of the primary religious organization of Plegia helped Validar obviously. Walhart seems to have accidentally backfired- the militant atheist who would have behead Validar if given the chance, ended up being a distraction that sent Chrom on a foreign escapade, allowing Validar to process with preparations for Grima's full return.

And my fictional FeroxI-Ylisse Occupation Army really couldn't continue to be once Walhart appeared- albeit that was a year after the Plegia war ended, so it still could have existed at least for a time.

And to remain on topic, I'm trying to remember how FP3 played out. From what I recall, the only time I ever attempted it was on a Females Only run. With no kids save Lucina (Chrom married Robin) produced, the three other kids save Lucina I had to keep alive had just their bare minimum bases. Because of this, i had to GF and Rescue a 1 turn victory against the boss. But if I had even made pairings for the kids, would it have let me do anything else? From what I remember, the map was just scattered hordes of foes in an area somewhat open, somewhat closed by castle debris. I think even if raised the kids would have had a decent chance of being killed on the first enemy phase. 

So I guess from what I recall, FP3 is just a little better in gameplay that the main story's final battle. Which isn't saying much.

13 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I forgot about that part of Future Past. Not sure if I like it, since it takes agency away from the Robin of what would then become Lucina's doomed world. Won't fight it though.

Well, Grima is the bad guy.

Though this has reminded me of Future Past as well. Does it count? I actually really like Chrom's entrance in the third act.

Well, for clarity's sake I am going to break my list down into categories.

Gameplay: Conquest - I hate everything about this game from a narrative perspective, but boy did endgame give me trouble. There is a lot to manage, but there is little time to manage it.
Story: Radiant Dawn - Something something spoilers. Seriously though, it manages to wrap up and put a bow on top of a huge narrative with many themes.
Music: Awakening - This was a toss up between Awakening and Shadows of Valentia for me, but Awakening won because it is the best at using that sweet accordion motif. There is a lot of emotion that attach to that motif throughout the game in subtle ways that pay off during the last chapter.
Coolest Boss: Radiant Dawn - I won't give much away, but man, I feel like I needed a turn by turn walkthrough of some of the attacks that got landed on me during that fight. It was epic from a story perspective.

I think I am in the Radiant Dawn camp overall, but I sway towards other games as well.

Just now, Arthur97 said:

Well, Grima is the bad guy.

But does the main bad guy need to manipulate absolutely everything? A little freedom of choice on the part of other villains can be appreciated. Aversa losing her agency wasn't for the best either. It gives justification for letting her join, but anything else? But I don't want to make a dragged out argument out of this. So I'll end it here.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

But does the main bad guy need to manipulate absolutely everything? A little freedom of choice on the part of other villains can be appreciated. Aversa losing her agency wasn't for the best either. It gives justification for letting her join, but anything else? But I don't want to make a dragged out argument out of this. So I'll end it here.

Fair enough drawn out arguments are unpleasant, but I still leave you with, Robin isn't a villain. I do agree about Aversa though.

I would have said Conquest for being a very unique final map. The faceless appearing behind you to push you forward, an archer final boss and needing to look for cover where all nice touches. That stupid hexing rod along with some other things ruined it though.

So i'll go with Fe7. The many old faces the final chapter throws at you was a pretty fun way to end the game on.

Blazing sword. I think the bosh rush with the most iconic bosses(and losers such as Keneth and Assasin dude) was an interesting idea.

For tone the final map of echoes wins easily. It really adds something if you have your units saying something very in character when you select them and it got a great soundtrack. 

If The Neverending Dream counts then that's the best final chapter. If The Battle of Belhalla counts then that's even better than The Neverending Dream and would be the best. For actual final chapters I don't really like most of them but I'd probably say FE4's final chapter or FE7's final chapter in terms of what I have the most fun with. Parts of the final chapter of FE4 are kind of a drag but I just enjoy playing through it because you just have a shit ton of broken ass units and you just have to mow through a bunch of enemies and castles with your broken units. I don't know why but I just enjoy myself so much playing that chapter. FE7's boss rush idea was pretty cool and pretty much soloing the dragon with Canas feels so good. 

FE3 book 2 last chapter is fun but the final first part is a pain (chest with a pure water and door key ahaha) oh and Meteor.

the last one is kinda easy, use the All/Anew staff (dance effect on EVERYONE), then dance the healer and repeat....kinda broken but it's doing the job

FE10 was the most annoying. Also FE14 Conquest is hard if you don't have any freeze or rescue or enfeeble (I didn't have warp so I...moved and pair up  and got lucky with dragon's fang and luna with Kamui). and killed with Keaton.

FE14 lack some staff like Restore which would greatly help some chapter and debuff effect.

I like the FE5 and 7 final chapters. There's something about fighting a dozen full-fledged bosses on your way to the actual big baddie instead of dozens of red shirts standing between you and the last boss. Of the two, I like FE5's a bit more, just because the map layout is more appealing, and the idea that you might have to kill former teammates who have been killed and brought back is a bit more of a gut-punch. The Reeves are certainly sad to have to kill again, but not like having to kill Dagdar or Eyvel again. Also the Deadlords are a bit more threatening than the morphed Black Fangs.

Veld is certainly a step down from Nergal, though, but at least there's no disappointing faceless dragon.

Edited by Slumber