Grand Hero Battle: Lyon

RandomSwordmaster

23 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

@mcsilas This guy pulls of an one-turn clear, infantry only, no Galeforce: 

Ignis on Olivia, that's already cool enough. 

I thought the best part was "Just as I calculated" from Jeorge for the battle finisher.

Edited by LordFrigid

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

It's as fair as Garm being locked to green or Omega Yato being locked to red.

The only dark magic that I can see not being red is Loptyr for the same reason that Naga is not blue. However, that would also mean that Loptyr runs off of the Rexcalibur line and not the Fenrir line, just like Naga.

That makes much more sense now, thank you for taking time to explain that. Even though I have no idea what a Garm is supposed to be.

10 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Thanks for tagging me, I'm beginning to become a real fan of your team! I never got Indigo myself (and I'm not going to snipe on a legendary banner either), but he seems real helpful in this one. 

Like Bridelia, he turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I was actually gunning for Axzura on that banner and got spooked by him. Was really upset by that but he ended up being more than worth it and a fantastic partner for Matthew. Everything happens for a reason I suppose.

9 hours ago, Ginko said:

Your Matthew is amazing, I like to use dagger unit too. Maybe, I'll build normal Gaius or Sothe to be kill leader sometimes.

I would actually really love a Sothe. I was gunning for him during his banner and now that he's demoted he is currently a pull goal (along side Matthews for merges).

3 hours ago, Hilda said:

I am allways impressed by how much Bulk Mathew provides to your Team and how much hits he can take. Nice catch on the Mega Man X theme at the end when Genny was blasting everything away with her Genny-Blaster!!

Hilarious you say that because I picked it with her in mind. What I love most about this team is how everyone plays such an important part. She did a few crucial heals during the battle but essentially went on clean up duty at the end. Despite how easy she made it look, it would have been tricky to take on those armors without her.

2 hours ago, eclipse said:

Oh, that is hilarious!  Never thought I'd see the day where Matthew tanks a -raven and lives to tell about it!

I already did the "Leon takes out Lyon's forces", though. :P:

I told you it could be done!

Wish I could have seen that btw.

5 hours ago, DefaultBeep said:

Thanks, I'm honored that you thought it was good! I probably would've stuck with her base Threaten Def normally, but I ended up getting a second CYL Lyn on the first 8% banner, and I had a hard time resisting the idea once I thought of it, haha. She's easily the character I've invested in most at this point, considering she's the only +3 5-star I have, and a Takumi, CYL Lyn, and Ike have all had to donate their skills, but it's being able to do things like this with underappreciated units that make it feel worth it. Now if only they would skip these other GHBs and rerun her faster so I can give her more merges...

And your run was awesome as always! I'm especially impressed by how he was able to take on Lyon so well; I must admit I'm a bit jealous, since he was the biggest thing that gave me trouble to figure out. And don't worry, I won't ask how many potions it took you to clear, because I'm a bit embarrassed by how many I spent as well...

Well, if I could I'd sacrifice a BH!Lyn, Sigurd and S!Frederick to Matt as well (maybe an Ike/Chrom for Aether just for the points.) and those are later goals. Buffing up underestimated units is always fun, but there's something about making your favorites great that makes the whole experience worth it.

Since she's got ATK/SPD Smoke built into her weapon it's true that ATK Smoke 3 just adds a bit more survivability but I will say that when a unit drops for a DEF Smoke 3 SI that'll be a must have on her. Heck you may even want to run Vantage if you get that, I'm having nasty ideas.

And yeah, initially the idea was to soften Lyon and then kill him with Ayra but things always got complicated after that which had me think: "...wait... can't he just kill him with Ignis?" and yep, he could. Pretty easily. After that everything else fell into place.

21 minutes ago, Zeo said:

Well, if I could I'd sacrifice a BH!Lyn, Sigurd and S!Frederick to Matt as well (maybe an Ike/Chrom for Aether just for the points.) and those are later goals. Buffing up underestimated units is always fun, but there's something about making your favorites great that makes the whole experience worth it.

Since she's got ATK/SPD Smoke built into her weapon it's true that ATK Smoke 3 just adds a bit more survivability but I will say that when a unit drops for a DEF Smoke 3 SI that'll be a must have on her. Heck you may even want to run Vantage if you get that, I'm having nasty ideas.

And yeah, initially the idea was to soften Lyon and then kill him with Ayra but things always got complicated after that which had me think: "...wait... can't he just kill him with Ignis?" and yep, he could. Pretty easily. After that everything else fell into place.

On the bright side, Summer Frederick does have an almost guaranteed chance of coming back in either a few days or next month, so you'll have a shot at the rarest of those while also possibly getting more merges for Matthew. Although the other colorless focus units would be an unfortunate obstacle. I initially only wanted Aether for Arena points as well, but it's quickly become my favorite Special to give Clarisse; it takes its time to charge up, but dealing that extra damage along with getting healed is very nice, and I don't think I could've done this GHB without it. Clarisse was one of those characters that I really liked, but was annoyed that she couldn't ever be used outside of a now lost DLC chapter (even Legion got a chance in Awakening with Spotpass), so I was determined to make her great in Heroes as soon as she was announced.

Yeah, I absolutely want to give her Def Smoke as soon as it's added, I think it'd help her out a lot more than the slight help of Atk Smoke. I've thought about giving her Vantage or especially Seal Def as well, but I've started to enjoy the guaranteed damage of Poison Strike lately (especially against high-Def threats in the Arena), so I may keep that on her, at least for a while longer.

I think it's awesome that Matthew himself ended up being able to get the kill, it was a perfect way to take Lyon down in his own GHB. I've been a little skeptical of Ignis in the past for its high cooldown, but being able to destroy a unit with a personal -raven tome is a power that I'll never underestimate again.

1 hour ago, DefaultBeep said:

On the bright side, Summer Frederick does have an almost guaranteed chance of coming back in either a few days or next month, so you'll have a shot at the rarest of those while also possibly getting more merges for Matthew. Although the other colorless focus units would be an unfortunate obstacle. I initially only wanted Aether for Arena points as well, but it's quickly become my favorite Special to give Clarisse; it takes its time to charge up, but dealing that extra damage along with getting healed is very nice, and I don't think I could've done this GHB without it. Clarisse was one of those characters that I really liked, but was annoyed that she couldn't ever be used outside of a now lost DLC chapter (even Legion got a chance in Awakening with Spotpass), so I was determined to make her great in Heroes as soon as she was announced.

Yeah, I absolutely want to give her Def Smoke as soon as it's added, I think it'd help her out a lot more than the slight help of Atk Smoke. I've thought about giving her Vantage or especially Seal Def as well, but I've started to enjoy the guaranteed damage of Poison Strike lately (especially against high-Def threats in the Arena), so I may keep that on her, at least for a while longer.

I think it's awesome that Matthew himself ended up being able to get the kill, it was a perfect way to take Lyon down in his own GHB. I've been a little skeptical of Ignis in the past for its high cooldown, but being able to destroy a unit with a personal -raven tome is a power that I'll never underestimate again.

Yeah, that makes me regret quite a bit of impulse pulls that I have very little to show for but what can you do. If I pull him when he comes he's definitely being fed to Matt. That or I'm stuck waiting for another unit that comes with the skill.

Poison Strike is nice for a unit that also debuffs enemy units as well so it's a good filler for a while, but at the end of it you'll have a better B Skill on her. 

Actually as a note the Navarre GHB was the first one I did with my Matthew team and it was retardedly easy to beat, I didn't remember how to record back then though. I'll likely be going through all the infernal reruns with my team just for the challenge factor. Breathes new life into the re-runs especially considering they have almost no value for me after the first clear. The most interesting one would be Berkut though since my team is all about synergy and that's the only GHB that completely cuts your team in half. Would be fun to see how I could beat that with my team.

Everything would be a lot easier if Matthew would freaking show up so I can merge him though. There were quite a few instances where a +ATK Matt or even just the +1 ATK/SPD he gets at +4 would have enabled me to beat the map other ways.

This map is... really hard. Finally did Lunatic with M!Robin, Michalis, Alm and Azura, but I don't think I'll be able to do Infernal... Apparently there are even more reinforcements there...

14 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

That makes much more sense now, thank you for taking time to explain that. Even though I have no idea what a Garm is supposed to be.

Garm is the S-rank axe in Sacred Stones, a Sacred Twin treasure of Grado. The other is dark magic tome Gleipnir.

I was gonna post this earlier but I wasn’t sure if I should.

Anyway even though I already beat this GHB before it kinda felt like a loss because I wasn’t able to do it with my usual team so I tackled it again and triumphed. It was as simple as not separating my team into two forces (idk why I was so adamant about it before) a bit of seal shuffling, some positioning play, a bit of baiting with Fir, and using both Death Blow and Poison Strike on Matthew for maximum chip (suddenly impulsive death blow is coming in handy)

edit: there’s no audio and I’m not really sure how to go about fixing that so just play some FE8 music if you watch it. Or don’t I guess.

@Zeo a bit off topic but the thumbnail makes me think of Chad instead of Matthew.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

@Zeo - Congrats on the Matthew team clear!! Impressive as always. I realized recently that I have a +SPD Matthew. I may replace my +DEF Matthew with him, but I'm still indecisive. I'm saving my ore until the update to make sure I won't need it for any of the new weapons coming out, but Matthew's on my list for refinement. The Japanese friend on my list (who has Matthew as his lead) finally completed his +10 Matthew, so I'm pretty impressed. XD

I did my usual team here--ryoma's positioning above rein was a misclick the first time I ran this, but it was a damn good misclick. It prevented the cav from using draw back, and Ryoma's ally support made Rein just fast enough to prevent getting doubled, which lets him survive and get repo'd and heal himself on red armor down there.

Spoiler

This is another clear I did for fun; Ryoma finally got Steady Breath after months of deliberation and I'm having a bit of fun with it.

Spoiler

Edited by Thor Odinson

Woah, I actually beat this Infernal. I usually don't even try but I need Lyon to be as strong as possible, so I dedicated myself to it. Looked up a few different guides, and managed it with Klein (THANK YOU POISON STRIKE!), Olivia, NY!Azura and P!Azura. Had to position for the right Hone Spd's and what not. P!Azura tanked a few blue's and managed to be the MVP (aside from Klein, clearly).

Whew. Glad that's over. Now to finding the feathers to promote both extra Lyon's. I was sitting on like 99k feathers at some point, but with Joshua, Corrin, Lyon(raised from 3star for SP) and a random 4-star for skill fodder (plus a few 3 to 4 stars for skill fodders), I'm down to like 12k. Time to start building.

• 4 months later...

Lyon Infernal in one turn: 

Second clear of the day, another pretty straightforward one. Elincia was crucial here, she can fly over the obstacles in comparison to Roy (who also doesn't like Zanbatos) Now I'm missing only Takumi to have cleared all GHBs and LHBs. Some BHBs are still missing too. 

Lyon went down easily since I actually used a Fliers team to clear the map the first time.

For the other clears, I replaced Elincia with 5* Lyon or 5* Sharena.

5* Lyon: Draw Back, Glacies, Triangle Adept 3, Quick Riposte 2

5* Sharena: Reposition, Growing Wind, Fury 3, Renewal 3, Drive Atk 2 seal

Had to use Witch Nowi last time but Nowi's gotten better skills since them, she's able to solo it now.  She still had no hope of defeating the Iceberg Axe Flier at the end with his super high resistance but luckily the blue manakete is the trigger to spawn him so saving it for last kept him away.

Flier team was Witch Nowi, Myrrh, Bride Sanaki, and Florina.  Cleaned up the right side first and kited around the blue Manakete till the end to prevent reinforcements.

Edited by Nowi's Husband

@mampfoid I didn't know last time you can't clear this in 1 turn. Nice to see Groom Marth, you seem to use him a lot recently. I want a new copy of Elincia. Now she is -Atk +Spd. She can quad but... low power T^T.

Last time I didn't clear it with my current team. The vid can be found in spoiler below. So someone who never watch can see how different my team be in one go. 

Spoiler

For this time, It's more easy with my current team. Roy just destroy everything trying to approach. Shiro protect his friends with the risk of tanking magic. Siegbert help Shiro clearing the way. 

@Zeo @mcsilas and welcome my new guest @kirauza343 Hope you all enjoy ^^

Edit: re-record already, can watch properly now.

Edited by Ginko

Bit of silliness since I changed my flier team to my C-team a few days back to get some SP while doing 10th stratum quests and couldn't be bothered changing it back. Fortunately a team of Palla, Est, Spring Camilla and Airzura was still more than a match for Lyon, aside from an incident where I forgot Est hasn't had the SP for Reposition yet, and ended up Shoving Airzura into Lyon. Oops.

For the other quests, nothing too interesting. Brave Bow and dancer destroys the right. Only new thing for me is that Fae destroys the left pretty handily. Lyon had the last laugh though, by filling up my barracks with a pointless copy of himself. Damnable Demon King and his insidious tricks.

Edited by Humanoid

1 hour ago, Ginko said:

@mampfoid I didn't know last time you can't clear this in 1 turn. Nice to see Groom Marth, you seem to use him a lot recently. I want a new copy of Elincia. Now she is -Atk +Spd. She can quad but... low power T^T.

I only started in March doing one turn clears, Lyon was in January. Chrom & Lissa BHB has been the first clear I posted. 

My Elincia is +SPD/-DEF and has Summoner S Support (currently). From time to time I actually have to lower her ATK to have a quad to proc Galeforce (like in my clear of Robins GHB), so -ATK should still be workable. Don't you have a buddy with Hone Fliers for her? 

1 hour ago, Ginko said:

For this time, It's more easy with my current team. Roy just destroy everything trying to approach. Shiro protect his friends with the risk of tanking magic. Siegbert help Shiro clearing the way. 

Roy doing the job of a can opener (see him against the Sword Knight) is nice, too bad he needs breakers to deal quads (or regular doubles). 

Because of Shiro, your clears are good for fans of the zero-damage sound (like myself), in my opinion IS should implement this sound also for battles with animations switched off. 

Lyon would have to field better minions to bring your team into trouble. Like always nice to watch, congratulations! 

Flying cleared with Brinian, Bunnero, Elincia and Gerome. Easy enough, first try.

Sharena cleared with the Askrtrio and Genny (All 5*). This took too many tries to figure out, but it was all about figuring out exactly who went where and taking the west side of the lake and holding it. Anna likely MVP for tanking Lyon and dealing with a bunch of enemies herself, though this was a team effort.

Lyon faced himself with Joshua, Julia and Azura (all 5*). Joasua's Drive Spd and Rally Spd/Res was essential for Lyon to 3-shot himself while he also distracted the firesweep user and took him out with Moonbow, Julia's sheer power helped deal with blues and G Tomebreaker was necessary for the green mage to allow Lyon to be danced later on and Azura mainly danced, though she did fight a few times. Similar start to Sharena's clear, though it did divert from it.

@mampfoid Really nice, the use of double WoM with G!Marth was extremely nice. It was also very interesting to see Elincia use Def Ploy despite not having the highest Res to proc easily but it was clutch to nerf the sword wyvern. It's very interesting how in this and the L!Hector clears you only needed 3 units with no dancer, goes to show how powerful Galeforce is. It reminds me a bit of Awakening with the Galeforce strats to wipe maps in 1-2 turns. Congrats! 

For me, the quests were pretty easy to clear. My classic flier team of Elincia, Hinoka, S!Corrin and Airzura destroyed the map. For Sharena she took care of Lyon thanks to TA while Bridelia destroyed his friends. Oddly enough Bridelia was too frail for the Lyon kills Lyon quest so I had to change her for B!Lyn, afterwards it ended the same way as the previous clears.

----

@Zeo @Rafiel's Aria @kirauza343 @SatsumaFSoysoy @DefyingFates 

Well, there's not a lot to say to this one. It was very straightfoward. I would've liked to add custom music to this video as battling Lyon is a big moment in Eirika's character in SS but sadly I don't have the time to do it so I'll have to settle with the game music. 

21 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

@mampfoid Really nice, the use of double WoM with G!Marth was extremely nice. It was also very interesting to see Elincia use Def Ploy despite not having the highest Res to proc easily but it was clutch to nerf the sword wyvern. It's very interesting how in this and the L!Hector clears you only needed 3 units with no dancer, goes to show how powerful Galeforce is. It reminds me a bit of Awakening with the Galeforce strats to wipe maps in 1-2 turns. Congrats! 

For me, the quests were pretty easy to clear. My classic flier team of Elincia, Hinoka, S!Corrin and Airzura destroyed the map. For Sharena she took care of Lyon thanks to TA while Bridelia destroyed his friends. Oddly enough Bridelia was too frail for the Lyon kills Lyon quest so I had to change her for B!Lyn, afterwards it ended the same way as the previous clears.

----

@Zeo @Rafiel's Aria @kirauza343 @SatsumaFSoysoy @DefyingFates 

Well, there's not a lot to say to this one. It was very straightfoward. I would've liked to add custom music to this video as battling Lyon is a big moment in Eirika's character in SS but sadly I don't have the time to do it so I'll have to settle with the game music. 

This is too fitting for words. Thanks again!