Choose Your Legends: Round 2 - Jan 21 - 28! Who will YOU vote for? [FEB 1: RESULTS ARE IN]

Coolmanio

4 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Because they have no idea how to place them here. 

I think you misread. I meant why we can't have an alternate Micaiah with Sing as well as Herons with Sing?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, eclipse said:

I'm taking a break from cute green-haired guys to vote for Knoll.  I'm lodging a protest vote against the recent banner.

Awww how nice of you! (So Raigh and Tomas got your other votes? Will Lugh and Asbel? Okay, Asbel is very bluish-green.)

I decided to actually go back and read over Knoll's supports and Ephraim route introduction dialogue. Since he is the character we're supposed to be lamenting here, and I should for all I've said against Gleipnir!Eirika. Here is my, hopefully decent, breakdown/character analysis:

Spoiler

Knoll: Watcher of Darkness (Not a bad title, I like it!)

Knoll.jpgKnoll Quite the looker right? Thats some pretty sexy hand you can see peeking out from the sleeve!

Introduction: Knoll is a scholar and a Shaman, a practitioner of "Dark" Magic (the term is an insult invented by those who disagreed with the ancient magics he uses). He served with others under Prince Lyon of Grado in research on Dark Magic and the Sacred Stone of Grado (the Fire Emblem). This research was carried out in the pursuit of knowledge, which could be used help the country Lyon hoped. When Emperor Vigarde died, he helped hide the truth from the public

He was branded a traitor, imprisoned and sentenced to death in Grado Keep until saved by Ephraim, likely for knowing too much about Lyon and Vigarde, and being present the moment after Lyon resurrected Vigarde, and saw him destroy the Fire Emblem with the new Dark Stone in hand. Knoll criticized Lyon for this, and later saw Lyon murder the frequently mentioned by never actually seen NPC "Father MacGregor" who ran the temple where the Sacred Stone of Grado was stored, where Natasha worked, and whom Ephraim, Lyon, and Eirika were educated by, for opposing the invasion of Renais. 

Personality: From the way Knoll words everything, he seems to have a rather typical scholarly/scientific tone that is neutral, mild, and a little cold. He is not abrasive by any means, but he does expect as a "dark" mage that people will look down on him and his pursuits.

Knoll is not an emotionless supercomputer however, he displays sincere adoration for his former master Prince Lyon and his noble goals of helping Grado through the dark arts. Knoll lives as he currently does, in a world where Lyon has become corrupted, solely to see his dreams through for him. So loyal.

Supports: In his Supports, Knoll is sadly stuck with a limited lot of 3 (the same as Myrrh and no one else), in a game where people have between 3 and 7 Supports each.

1. His first Support is with Lute. This support is unfortunately as poor as a Support as Gleipnir is at doubling in SS. I don't mean to offend Lute fans here when I say this, but it's all Lute's fault. Or the writers if lovers of the purple prodigy don't like me saying this. The support goes nowhere fast, because Lute is obsessed with proving her superiority here- to the point of attacking Knoll twice. Knoll's last line in the A Support is him suggesting they relax and chat for a moment... which is what they should have started doing much sooner!
  2. The Natasha Support is a Sacred Stone of a Support in several ways.
    • It discusses the nature of dark magic, adds good backstory to Knoll and Lyon, and shows his devotion to his arts and his former master. Lyon and his Shamans used a forbidden spell once lost to humanity called "the Time Shear" to glimpse into the future. Reading the ripples left in the river of time by major events, Lyon foresaw an earthquake that will destroy half of Grado in five years. Lyon also foresaw a terrible sea storm, and knowing when it would come, Lyon ordered all ships remain in port, saving many lives.
    • On the characterization side. Knoll and other Shamans helping Lyon received no acclaim for this prediction, for their research was kept secret, but they pressed on. Natasha is cast as Knoll's opposite- his Dark Magic being knowledge- seeking to know the unknowable-, to her Light Magic being faith- trusting in the unknowable. But Natasha harbors no ill will towards Knoll and tries to learn from him. She does, and he comes to accept her questionable decision to remain in Grado to help people, even knowing the coming cataclysm will put her life in danger. Knoll too is affected, and says he too against his better instinct and knowledge will remain in Grado during the cataclysm to help as well. The two become close friends- a Shaman and a Cleric of Grado. Each having gained from the other.
  3. The Duessel Support starts a little slow, the C not doing much, but that Knoll displays a knowledge of parables is suiting him as a learned academic. The B Support is like the B and A Natashas in discussing the Time Shear, albeit with less detail and leaving out the storm story completely. What it does add, is that the court Shamans were personally horrified by the glimpse into the catastrophe, and that this coinciding with Emperor Vigarde's death drove Lyon mad into his research and thus to the Dark Stone and his corruption by the Demon King. The A Support has Duessel and Knoll discussing the fact they're both dead men- having lost their lieges the Emperor and Prince. Nonetheless, they realize they must start anew, with Knoll seeking to fulfill Lyon's dreams. Not as good the Natasha, but still average to good.

Ending: Knoll only has one ending, no paired alternates for him. Knoll, seeking fulfill Lyon's vision, returns to Grado and restores the country to its former glory. This doesn't say when this happened- if it was before the catastrophe, well his effort was Sisyphean, because the catastrophe which he himself saw in advance, would have destroyed it. Whenever it happened, Knoll then gets stuck with the infamous "disappeared without a trace, never to be seen again". Although that is a bad way to end, him being a Shaman using dangerous magics, there is an excuse as for why this might happen. And if he restored Grado's glory before the catastrophe (which I don't think Eirika's route ever mentions, nor do any of the character endings ever), well I can imagine thousands of people suddenly disappeared without a trace that they ever existed when the earthquake swallowed them all up.

Overall, Knoll might not have a lot of personality or depth, but his backstory is very important to the story of Sacred Stones, and is intimately tied to Lyon, who a heckuva lot of people love. 

I'm not asking for anyone to vote for Knoll, I'm neutral in this poll. But if this persuades you, go ahead :KnollRoll: one his way.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 minute ago, Jave said:

I think you misread. I meant why we can't have an alternate Micaiah with Sing as well as Herons with Sing?

Ah. Well, for one thing, the choice to have the refresher units seems to go to units that are generally refreshers in the actual game. Inigo and Shigure might also have become refreshers here when they were not like that in their game, but both are sons of refreshers and both aspires to be like their parent. 

Micaiah though doesn't share that with the herons, despite how she can sing the Galdr. 

1 minute ago, omegaxis1 said:

Ah. Well, for one thing, the choice to have the refresher units seems to go to units that are generally refreshers in the actual game. Inigo and Shigure might also have become refreshers here when they were not like that in their game, but both are sons of refreshers and both aspires to be like their parent. 

Micaiah though doesn't share that with the herons, despite how she can sing the Galdr. 

You're limiting yourself too much. This is a game with endless possibilities so there's no reason to be against to alternates. Two days ago, you would have probably said the same thing if someone would have suggested Mage Knight Eirika with Gleipnir.

1 minute ago, Jave said:

You're limiting yourself too much. This is a game with endless possibilities so there's no reason to be against to alternates. Two days ago, you would have probably said the same thing if someone would have suggested Mage Knight Eirika with Gleipnir.

You're talking to a guy that's been begging for a Levin Sword Robin for a while now. I would not have rejected anyone's hopes for a new version of an existing unit with new weapon that can power creep. 

And though there are many possibilities, in regards to refresher units, I don't think it'll go just like that. But of course, there's always a chance. But refresher units are generally very frail units and don't have too much power behind them.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Awww how nice of you! (So Raigh and Tomas got your other votes? Will Lugh and Asbel? Okay, Asbel is very bluish-green.)

Lugh was my first vote!  Raigh is already in the game, and that's enough for me.  Tomas will, eventually.  Asbel, no, because Midir is my Jugdral representative.

As for Knoll. . .

Spoiler

He's a little on the pretentious side.  When he first meets Ephraim, he asks whether his execution has been moved up, then mentions that Ephraim's questions are odd for an executioner.  During his C support with Natasha, he mentions what HE thinks her master is like.  Rather than attempt to work together, he constantly mentions why they shouldn't be compatible.  He catches himself in the B support, and in the A support, it's Natasha drawing conclusions - a nifty little reversal from the C support.

The Duessel support shows a more depressed side of Knoll.  In the prison, he'd already given up.  Duessel's reaction is more of what a common person would've said, had Lyon announced the disaster to everyone.  Knoll's final words ring pretty hollow here.  It feels like he said that more to keep Duessel from worrying further.

I guess the Lute support shows that he's not totally ignorant of other people or something.  It makes no sense from either character's PoV.

Definitely not as interesting as Legault.

2 minutes ago, Jave said:

Yes, but in that case it wasn't exactly for the best either if the reception for the reveal is to go by.

34 minutes ago, Jave said:

That sounds like a cool idea!

Oh, I think I arrived a bit late, but I actually would be happy to see Awakening!Micaiah I like that outfit a lot, please don't kill me... just please, make the outfit less generic.

2 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

Yes, but in that case it wasn't exactly for the best either if the reception for the reveal is to go by.

The funny thing is, I've been watching trailer reactions on Youtube and some people can't wait to pull on the banner, and yes, including Horserika. It seems this is the exact kind of stuff whales are all over in.

8 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

My only issues is we didn't get an Ephraim equivalent though I think that helps his CYL chances

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

Definitely not as interesting as Legault.

Fair enough all your criticisms, I likely invested myself into that a little too happily and uncritically and thus was a little too optimistic in my spin. 

The "pretentious" with Ephraim might just be him having given up on all hope and just wanting his boring life in a prison awaiting death to end sooner. You could be right on the Duessel line;  how nice it'd be to have voice acting to determine his exact tone there (yet I don't think there would be enough variation in his voice to tell precisely what how he meant it). No matter how you look at him, Knoll is a bit of downer, even past his looks and gameplay performance, I can see why people wouldn't like him. 

And I do think Legault worked out better as a minor character from the evil side back in the good old days, or "relatively better" for Knoll, since predicting catastrophes can't be all that enjoyable. The Isadora was the standout there from what I remember.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Fair enough all your criticisms, I likely invested myself into that a little too happily and uncritically and thus was a little too optimistic in my spin. 

The "pretentious" with Ephraim might just be him having given up on all hope and just wanting his boring life in a prison awaiting death to end sooner. You could be right on the Duessel line;  how nice it'd be to have voice acting to determine his exact tone there (yet I don't think there would be enough variation in his voice to tell precisely what how he meant it). No matter how you look at him, Knoll is a bit of downer, even past his looks and gameplay performance, I can see why people wouldn't like him. 

And I do think Legault worked out better as a minor character from the evil side back in the good old days, or "relatively better" for Knoll, since predicting catastrophes can't be all that enjoyable. The Isadora was the standout there from what I remember.

I read Knoll's lines with a bit of sarcasm (or alarm, in Lute's case).

The beauty of Legault's supports is that each and every one builds his character.  Of Knoll's supports, one flat-out doesn't make sense.  Lute's a special kind of ditzy, but even THAT is out-of-character for her.  I'm hoping it's due to certain things not translating well, but I don't have a lot of hope.

4 hours ago, Javi Blizz said:

Hey guys, chill out, I don’t think people come to this forum just to argue to other people because they like or dislike a certain character. 

So, at least, try not to be rude in one way or the other. Oh, and give a vote for Bartre! :D

And now, I’m going for my popcorns to continue reading this xd

NEVER
I'M PULLING TOO MANY BARTRE WITH ONLY ONE IN THE GAME I DON'T NEED ANOTHER ONE
…But I do hope he does well for your sake, especially as he doesn't get in the way of anyone I'm voting for. Good luck!

3. Ross / 4. Ephraim

Yep, tomorrow is Chrom. After that I'm not sure who'll get my last two votes. Was thinking about Ilyana, Erk, Pent or Guy, but after seeing how Ross got shafted I might give an extra vote to him and Hector. 

Feels bad, man.

Here's a statistical approach at the Men's Side. 

The men's side is a 4-way battle according to what I've read here and what I've read on the Megathread at reddit. It all comes down to which players vote what.

Casuals like the 3DS babies will probably choose between these two characters: Chrom and Hector. Chrom's meme status and the fact that he's in Awakening makes the babies want to vote him up. Hector's usefulness in Heroes and his meme status also contribute the the casual war.

Your hardcore fans have got 2 characters that have more talk on them: Marth and Ephraim. Marth is the face of FE, and his Heroes representation is.... well, it's not so great. One chapter is all he got. One banner at the beginning of Heroes is all he got. Ephraim is no different. He may have, what, 4? banners under his belt, but he really got the short end for lancers, besides the weapon refinery boost. Sacred Stones is also garnering much more support over time, and we may have one of the most heated battle for 1st this time around. Marth, Hero-King VS Ephraim, Prince (Probably King by now) of Renais.

But in the end, it all goes down to which side of FE fans have more. The true fans, or the Babies.

Edited by ImsoniaticGamer
Picture wasn't asked for permission of use.

2 hours ago, Jave said:

The funny thing is, I've been watching trailer reactions on Youtube and some people can't wait to pull on the banner, and yes, including Horserika. It seems this is the exact kind of stuff whales are all over in.

Well that & good stats. Granted Eirkika isn't exactly unpopular to begin with.

2 hours ago, JDraks said:

My only issues is we didn't get an Ephraim equivalent though I think that helps his CYL chances

Would it though? I feel like Ephraim voters are just going to vote for him anyways. Granted they're Ephraim voter for a reason

19 minutes ago, Ercdouken said:

rbnzYsd.png

Day 4

I'm not even voting for best Whitewing girl & I still feel betrayed

4 minutes ago, ImsoniaticGamer said:

Here's a statistical approach at the Men's Side. 

The men's side is a 4-way battle according to what I've read here and what I've read on the Megathread at reddit. It all comes down to which players vote what.

Casuals like the 3DS babies will probably choose between these two characters: Chrom and Hector. Chrom's meme status and the fact that he's in Awakening makes the babies want to vote him up. Hector's usefulness in Heroes and his meme status also contribute the the casual war.

Your hardcore fans have got 2 characters that have more talk on them: Marth and Ephraim. Marth is the face of FE, and his Heroes representation is.... well, it's not so great. One chapter is all he got. One banner at the beginning of Heroes is all he got. Ephraim is no different. He may have, what, 4? banners under his belt, but he really got the short end for lancers, besides the weapon refinery boost. Sacred Stones is also garnering much more support over time, and we may have one of the most heated battle for 1st this time around. Marth, Hero-King VS Ephraim, Prince (Probably King by now) of Renais.

But in the end, it all goes down to which side of FE fans have more. The true fans, or the Babies.

Below is a depiction of Brave Marth by Sonic Cake.

feh_brave_hero_king_marth_by_sonic_cake-

Don't appreciate much being called a "baby" since I knew Marth all the way back to Melee & I already knew Hector's overwhelming popularity even before being getting into the series since he's always been one of the most requested characters to pick for Smash, but I get the gist of what you're saying.

If I have to be frank, Brave Marth looks a bit gaudy in that color scheme. Feels like the white should've been 2dary color instead of being the primary color. I artist giving him no pants though.