Choose Your Legends: Round 2 - Jan 21 - 28! Who will YOU vote for? [FEB 1: RESULTS ARE IN]

Coolmanio

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some people are getting a bit too upset about this poll. I think a huge chunk, if not most, votes come from people who've basically only played Heroes. Do you vote for the big titted lady you know, or do you just guess that Sanaki is a much better written character? If they only know OC's and potentially a few guys from the main series, then they'll most likely vote for the former. Either that or their aces, like Reinhardt.

Surprised to see Celica so high up though. I expected Tharja to drop and Camilla to remain about the same level though. I'm super happy to see Morgan so high up in the top 20, too!

25 minutes ago, eclipse said:

That's because, in typical FE fashion, it's really subtle.  The script for Chapter 18B is pretty long, so I'll link it here.  Note Eph's reaction after Lyon goes poof - the perfect hero, reduced to, well, this.

And here's where a twist occurs.  In Chapter 19A, L'Arachel and Eirika have a conversation, and they address the issue with Lyon directly.  In Chapter 19B, Ephraim and Tana have that conversation.  Unlike his sister, Ephraim doesn't directly tell Tana what happened - instead, he alludes to it.  For someone who's supposed to be straightforward, this is really out-of-character.  The incident with Lyon has shaken him, to the point where he doesn't want to talk about it. . .and in that reversal, Ephraim's the one running from the fight.  Even if the fight itself isn't "stab bad guy".  Yet Eir, the naive one who doesn't want to fight, learns to confront the conflict and deal with it.

You do have quite the point here!

It is a little sad to see Ephraim devastated, anyone who can pity should when the good are wronged. But this is necessary for Ephraim's character- and he is fictional so this is fine, just like being morally ambiguous (bad in reality, good in writing). And by reducing him to a pitiful status, it offers a chance for people to sympathize with him more through said pity.

Reading the C19 dialogues, I almost feel they got assigned to the wrong routes. Ephraim is naive and emotional, wanting to believe Lyon is his friend forever, but fearing he won't and then applying to his friendship with Tana. Eirika on the other hand isn't so mopey and takes the more proactive position of wanting to help.

I'm guessing part of this might have to do with how Lyon showed himself prior to the end of Chapter 18, and how Ephraim and Eirika saw him during the same period.

• Ephraim was convinced Lyon was entirely lost to the Demon King and was prepared to kill the Demon King. But surprise! Ephraim wasn't prepared to kill Lyon, who in C18 states the Demon King possession was an elaborate act and he was in charge all along. With the possibility, nay certainty as much as he abhors it, that Lyon is still alive, Ephraim, who treasures Lyon as much as Eirika, can't bring himself to mutilate his living friend.
  • Eirika by comparison was convinced Lyon still had a chance of escaping the Demon King's control. So when the Demon King successfully tricks her into letting him smash the SS, she is heartbroken because her hope was totally misplaced. However, because it is then clear Lyon is truly lost to her, she is no longer fearful of destroying his body, because the body is already terminally ill. A little Sieglinde euthanasia will bring Lyon's suffering to an end.

You addressed the serious matter in an introductory sentence and one paragraph. Concise, but very explanatory and powerfully persuasive. Had you exhausted ten thousand words on the topic, I might not have read it in full. Since besides length, I'd take it as over-analyzing by a devoted fan and regard it for whatever its merits with a grain of salt. And since I know you're fairly muted in your preferences as befits a mod, and that SS isn't your favorite, I'm willing to assign a greater measure of objectivity in your interpretation.

2 hours ago, Alexmender said:

I would've been happier to see Tharja in 2nd place instead of Camilla.... I'm super happy that Celica is winning though!

Anyways, I don't know if I should go back to Eirika or start voting for Azura. I really don't want to see Camilla Emblem.

Eirika, please. I've gotten over the alternate version of her and always wanted Brave Eirika!

Poll results sure are interesting. I'm happy Takumi was able to stay in the top 10, and am pleasantly surprised to see Ryouma ranked so highly (Ryouma alt when?). The only thing I'm worried about is, that because Takumi and Leon (Fates) have a lot of the same fans, they are now gonna rally behind the latter after seeing how far the tomato boy has fallen. Just sticking with Takumi for the rest of the voting I guess. I hope it will keep him in the top 10.

I'm fine with Hector and Ephraim winning the thing.

Celica being on top of the voting poll is unexpected, but I'm okay with it. Not surprised to see Camilla there at all... Loki and Evil Severa are also not a pleasant sight (I mean, how can anyone look at Loki without feeling intense back pain in sympathy? By not having boobs themselves I would guess). So long as they don't actually win anything, it's fine I suppose.. Just don't flood us with alternate versions of them Intsys, please.

To be fair i like Laevatein because of her potential and yes her design, because tanned skin representation :D

and the action scenes in the trailer. Also i guess her weapon is cool as well because blade blade

Loki yeah i get why the hate. I'm not too keen on her but her staff is interesting and is the first legendary staff. Shouldn't be up there but i personally don't super hate her

1 minute ago, Nanima said:

(I mean, how can anyone look at Loki without feeling intense back pain in sympathy? By not having boobs themselves I would guess)

Ding ding ding ding.

Can someone explain Selkie, Nishiki and Keaton to me? I never see them discussed, I only ever see some fan art of Selkie, they've got no story importance in Fates, their supports are generally of lower quality, so...what's happening here?

1 minute ago, Thane said:

Ding ding ding ding.

Can someone explain Selkie, Nishiki and Keaton to me? I never see them discussed, I only ever see some fan art of Selkie, they've got no story importance in Fates, their supports are generally of lower quality, so...what's happening here?

Maybe people just want Shapeshifters, but since they haven't played the earlier games most of them are voting on these two Fates Shapeshifters. (I guess) I don't really find anything interesting about either of the two. Maybe it reminds players of their of their dogs and/or cats as well? lol

Just now, Thane said:

Two words: beast units. I think people want a new class of shapeshifters added to the game and these are some of the more relevant and popular ones. Sure, some Laguz could count towards that as well but the majority of them aren't all that popular aside from Ranulf and maybe Lethe.

40 minutes ago, eclipse said:

That's because, in typical FE fashion, it's really subtle.  The script for Chapter 18B is pretty long, so I'll link it here.  Note Eph's reaction after Lyon goes poof - the perfect hero, reduced to, well, this.

And here's where a twist occurs.  In Chapter 19A, L'Arachel and Eirika have a conversation, and they address the issue with Lyon directly.  In Chapter 19B, Ephraim and Tana have that conversation.  Unlike his sister, Ephraim doesn't directly tell Tana what happened - instead, he alludes to it.  For someone who's supposed to be straightforward, this is really out-of-character.  The incident with Lyon has shaken him, to the point where he doesn't want to talk about it. . .and in that reversal, Ephraim's the one running from the fight.  Even if the fight itself isn't "stab bad guy".  Yet Eir, the naive one who doesn't want to fight, learns to confront the conflict and deal with it.

...You know, thank you for posting this, because this has cleared up some of the things that had annoyed me about Ephraim. I can respect more subtle character development like that, and it's been so long since I've played SS that I hadn't remembered those exchanges being written that way. Est is another character who I feel has a lot of subtle depth to her, so I feel bad for assuming that Ephraim couldn't also have that, but I appreciate that you took the time to write this explanation out.

6 minutes ago, SilvertheShadow said:

Two words: beast units. I think people want a new class of shapeshifters added to the game and these are some of the more relevant and popular ones. Sure, some Laguz could count towards that as well but the majority of them aren't all that popular aside from Ranulf and maybe Lethe.

Well Severa is very well liked, yes?

Severa is snappy at people at times yes?

Lethe snaps at people at times yes?

So Lethe is like Severa yes?

And Lethe is a Cat Laguz yes?

So people who like the very popular Severa would like the Cat Laguz Lethe yes?

So Lethe would be a very popular character to add and a shapeshifter yes?

And other Laguz are like Lethe in gameplay yes?

THEN START CRANKING OUT 54 VERSIONS OF LETHE INCLUDING SEVERA COSPLAYS IF THAT IS NEEDED TO GET ALL THE OTHER LAGUZ IN!

1 hour ago, Coolmanio said:

It's unfortunate, but Anna is just a victim of having 5 different incarnations of herself in the poll.

Five versions? Fates, Awakening, Heroes- what are the other two? She appears in Jugdral, Elibe, Archanea, Magvel, and Tellius, so just which of these if any classify as the other two? 

I'd be okay with a retro Anna, a simpler one devoid of her modern avarice.

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Five versions? Fates, Awakening, Heroes- what are the other two? She appears in Jugdral, Elibe, Archanea, Magvel, and Tellius, so just which of these if any classify as the other two? 

I'd be okay with a retro Anna, a simpler one devoid of her modern avarice.

There are SIX versions of Anna, actually. Shadow Dragon, New Mystery, Radiant Dawn, Awakening, Fates and Heroes.

It seems FEH only fans are having an effect on the results. That and wanting playable villains. It's kind of sad that Loki ranks so high.

For the males top ten side, I'm happy with Hector leading but I'd also like to see Marth get his due. It would be brutal for him to miss out on alt because of vote splitting. I'm impressed that Celica got so high and Camilla was a given. Personally, I'd prefer Micaiah and Nino, but I don't see that happening.

Wasted a vote on Chrom, if only I'd seen the current results I could have funneled another vote to Ephraim. I've pretty much voted for all the units I really care about already, so the last two votes might just go to Ephraim. Ross might get an extra vote just because he's the only unit on the list I'm not 100% sure will appear in the game and I want him to have a spot that'll bring him more attention.

3 minutes ago, Zeo said:

Wasted a vote on Chrom, if only I'd seen the current results I could have funneled another vote to Ephraim.

I know what you mean, but I don't think you "waste" votes here, really. While only the top two get different outfits, I think it's good to show your support for even the lesser known and popular characters in the series who had no chance of getting to the top 20; my last two votes have been on Lyon and Skrimir because I want to show my support for them, not because of any chance of them getting a special outfit.

1 minute ago, Thane said:

I know what you mean, but I don't think you "waste" votes here, really. While only the top two get different outfits, I think it's good to show your support for even the lesser known and popular characters in the series who had no chance of getting to the top 20; my last two votes have been on Lyon and Skrimir because I want to show my support for them, not because of any chance of them getting a special outfit.

That's true. And I did the same voting for Hector, Ephraim, Ross and Edward. But Chrom is a bit different, and while I do like him, I voted for him primarily because he scored so well and it seemed like he was one of the ones with the best chance to win. I don't consider any of my other votes wastes, but with him I could have voted for another character I liked more that wasn't going to win. Or another character I liked more that has a better chance of winning.

First reaction is that I'm satisfied with the guys, a little disappointed by the girls. I don't really place tremendous value on the voting though so no result is really upsetting, rage-inducing or evocative of any other strong emotion.

Hector is Hector and I can't dispute his popularity or his justified position. Ephraim I didn't know was that controversial until I read this thread. But in acknowledging the problems raised about him, I'd still rather have him than almost all the rest of the top 20 males, which I'm not overly keen on in general.

Marth to me has nothing going for him other than being the original (which is not a virtue in and of itself), Alm I don't like his hair, Reinhardt is because I dislike the Camus archetype in general (Lawful Stupid loyalty isn't an admirable trait). Chrom is one I don't mind but don't love either, swap him with Ephraim's spot and nothing changes for me. Robin's out because a player character with no agency isn't a proper player character. Takumi because teen angst. Leif I have no idea about his personality whatsoever.

On the female side, Celica is someone I've gradually liked a little less and less as time passes. It's not as if she's badly or unrealistically written, but knowing people like her to whom their religion is everything, they're not pleasant to be around. Camilla I dislike due to shallow aesthetic reasons (frankly I prefer the smaller side of average). But then like the guys, I look down at the rest of the list and there aren't many substitutes that I'd strongly prefer.

Eirika is a bit too delicate, Azura does not display any traits that would mark her as a human being, Veronica needs to be 10-20 years older, Micaiah I know next to nothing about. Loki: see Camilla, but worse. Nino is superficially fine but her existence stretches credulity to the point of snapping if given any reasonable analysis. Corrin: see M Robin. Tharja should probably be in jail.

5th vote went to Wolf because we need more Pony Bows, and I will not stop until IS yields to my demands. Next vote is going to Makalov because, if Oliver can get in due to meme privileges i dont care what anyone says i know that's how he got in, then I'm positive my singular show of support for this typically disliked character will make all the difference.

On a side note, I just realized the only girl character I've voted for is Mozu.

Just now, saisymbolic said:

On a side note, I just realized the only girl character I've voted for is Mozu.

You can redeem yourself, my friend. Just choose either adult Tiki or female Morgan and all your sins will be forgiven.