Choose Your Legends: Round 2 - Jan 21 - 28! Who will YOU vote for? [FEB 1: RESULTS ARE IN]

Coolmanio

2 minutes ago, Lushen said:

But that's the thing.  You're assuming CYL is simply a popularity contest and it's not.  One reason is because there is vote splitting.  Another reason is that CYL happened to be announced right around the time SS characters were being released which allowed people to have SS (Ephraim & Eirika) in mind.  I guarantee if they just released a bunch of SD characters, Marth would have won.  There's also another advantage Marth had where people were touting that FE had abandoned Marth and therefore people should vote for him (which isn't even true).  

I think Marth fans should be a little salty, just like I would be salty if Ephraim lost.  It's basic human nature to be competitive and I don't have an issue with competition.  What I don't like is when people lose and they point at one thing and say "That's the only reason he lost".  Well, if Ephraim lost I could point at Smash and say "That's the reason Ephraim lost".  But you can't point at one thing, because there are a multitude of reasons one player wins over another.  

Anytime someone loses a competition by a very small margin it's very easy to point at one thing and say that's why, but there's a million other reasons that came into play as well.

DIE EPHRAIM!!! *fires missiles at Ephraim*

I kid. Honestly, I'm over it. I'm sad that Marth lost, but really, what happened happened. People like Ephraim, people like Marth. It's over and done with. 

So rather than complain, let's look at the bright side. Marth is likely to be 1st place next CYL.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I should probably say my thoughts on the results.

I'm not surprised or salty about the male results. Except for Marth getting screwed by split votes. But that's more hatred for split votes screwing over characters than wanting Marth to win. Honestly, I'm fine with any combination of Marth, Hector or Ephiram winning.

I'm more mixed on the female side. I'm surprised by Veronica, but as said above, it's going to be interesting to see what they do for her. Celica, I'm not a big fan of her due to Act 4 of her game, plus I think Echoes writing is a bit weak anyway, but at least she's not some fanservice-y character.

I think Celica won due to how recent her game is, plus the lack of female protags and deuteragonists. On that front there is Lyn, Eirika, Caeda, Lilina, Micaiah, arguably the Avatars, the Fate siblings, and Azura.

The last three probably didn't win due to how oversaturated Heroes are with characters from their game. Camila's an exception, since she was previously in second, but we all know that was due to many voting with their lower half, and not because they all liked her as a character.

Lyn won the previous vote, so she was removed from this one. Eirika got an Alt while the voting took place, so that curbed people's enthusiasm for her. I do question the practicality of releasing an Alt during the vote though. Caeda suffered from split voting, though I'm not sure how high she would have ended up anyway. And for Lilina and Micaiah, not sure other than I know many people thought Micaiah was a crappy unit in her home game.

2 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

That means summonable Veronica in VG banner

At least Marth has a chance winning next year

I wonder if Veronica would be something like a Legendary Heroes special unit if they make it where you can summon her.

CYL 3 will be interesting since we'll have a bunch of fresh new units from FE16 on the scene.

3 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

DIE EPHRAIM!!! *fires missiles at Ephraim*

I kid. Honestly, I'm over it. I'm sad that Marth lost, but really, what happened happened. People like Ephraim, people like Marth. It's over and done with. 

So rather than complain, let's look at the bright side. Marth is likely to be 1st place next CYL.

I'm not too sure about that, it's pretty likely that the next Fire Emblem game will be released later this year. Changes are that the most popular characters in that will win or be very high up in the polls.

1 minute ago, Jingle Jangle said:

I'm not too sure about that, it's pretty likely that the next Fire Emblem game will be released later this year. Changes are that the most popular characters in that will win or be very high up in the polls.

I said likely. Not surely.

5 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

The game will be released before CYL3, but most likely in December based on the release schedule Nintendo released. It came after "Q4 2018" and before "delayed to 2019". They also have to localize the game

Judging by the last two FE games released, Warriors and Echoes, localization will take a month or so. It's actually weird how fast they got released in English. Fates took 8 months, while Awakening took ten. Though before Awakening, FE wasn't that popular in the West anyway.

Edited by RedRob

6 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

The game will be released before CYL3, but most likely in December based on the release schedule Nintendo released. It came after "Q4 2018" and before "delayed to 2019". It was stated as "2018". They also have to localize the game

I definitely don't see it for December at all Fall at max even earlier.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

20 minutes ago, Lushen said:

But that's the thing.  You're assuming CYL is simply a popularity contest and it's not.  One reason is because there is vote splitting.  Another reason is that CYL happened to be announced right around the time SS characters were being released which allowed people to have SS (Ephraim & Eirika) in mind.  I guarantee if they just released a bunch of SD characters, Marth would have won.  There's also another advantage Marth had where people were touting that FE had abandoned Marth and therefore people should vote for him (which isn't even true).  

I think Marth fans should be a little salty, just like I would be salty if Ephraim lost.  It's basic human nature to be competitive and I don't have an issue with competition.  What I don't like is when people lose and they point at one thing and say "That's the only reason he lost".  Well, if Ephraim lost I could point at Smash and say "That's the reason Ephraim lost".  But you can't point at one thing, because there are a multitude of reasons one player wins over another.  

I mean, it is a popularity contest. Rigged as it is, even when many people use it to make their voice heard on characters that they want in the game, at the end of the day it's still a franchise-wide popularity contest with rewards for the top 2 of each gender. Whether it's good or bad doesn't change what it is. And while what you're bringing up is closer to what I'd call an unfair advantage than in your last post, it doesn't come close to having to essentially get 50% more votes than your opposition because a large portion of them will be wasted on a second version.

I agree that basic spite when facing loss in a competition is as far as it should go, but this is not the issue here.

Marth will get his time to shine, one day. I am one of those who believe he is also on the landing page with the four main winners for some reason.

I do wonder now that I've reflected on it a bit more, since it's also the top 5 and there are always 5 characters on these. Though they didn't do that last time, the ones featured were just random popular characters.

I think what's important is that at this point, they have a choice. They could go either way.

Edited by Cysx

Woops. After looking at it again, it seems I was mistaken about the "Q4 and delayed to 2019" part. My bad. It can come out in Summer or Autumn since the release seasons go up to Spring
page 8 https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/180131_3e.pdf

Edited by silveraura25

20 minutes ago, Lushen said:

Anytime someone loses a competition by a very small margin it's very easy to point at one thing and say that's why, but there's a million other reasons that came into play as well.

You're joking, right?

At its core, CYL is a popularity contest, but people have taken to choosing for units they want in the game. Split votes are due to IS compiling the characters by game, as it's easier than just listing every single one by alphabetical order, we're talking about over 800 characters here. Why they didn't remove duplicate characters is beyond me, and that's what makes it unfair.

Neither character, between Marth and Ephraim, had advantages over each other. You're classing all these things like Smash, first Lord, being neglected by IS, as advantages for Marth, but are they really? Yes, Smash probably influenced Marth's votes, but not all of them. I doubt many hardcore Smash fans voted for Marth, especially with Robin and Corrin to consider. First Lord? Maybe so, but it didn't help him win, did it? Neglected by IS? In Heroes, yes, but everywhere else? Nope. Why bring appearances outside Heroes into this? CYL is all about Heroes, not Smash, not Warriors, not TMS, not anything else. Just Heroes.

Marth lost due to split votes, split votes that make less sense than say, Ike. People scream on about Ike winning despite having split votes last time, but how is that the same? It's well known that pretty much the entire community worships the ground Ike walks on, Marth? He has to rely on the Japanese pre-dominantly. Also, I'd say that PoR!Ike and RD!Ike have more reason to be split than Marth. Ike looks drastically different, he's older, so on so forth, the same reasons for like Hector and Old Hector, Eliwood and Old Eliwood. I could go on for a while but I'll probably end up contradicting myself.

My point?

Split votes are chuffing stupid and I'm still extremely salty.

Wow Chrom lost like 10,000 votes this year. This competition was pretty underwhelming. 

I dont care care about Hector or Ephraim or Celica and Veronica I only wanted her to win because it was funny, I didn’t truly think she should win... 

marth should have won. 

26 minutes ago, Raven said:

I am one of those who believe he is also on the landing page with the four main winners for some reason.

You guys can count me in among the ones that believe there's a special reason Marth is among the other 4 winners of Choose Your Legends 2 on the opening page. I mean, IS has already taken into account split votes by removing Radiant Dawn Ike and Masked Marth from the polls, so they could potentially be accounting for Marth's split vote issue as well by making a special version of Marth in addition to the 4 winners (even if Marth technically isn't one of the top 2 males by poll format alone).

3 minutes ago, IEatLasers said:

Wow Chrom lost like 10,000 votes this year. This competition was pretty underwhelming. 

I dont care care about Hector or Ephraim or Celica and Veronica I only wanted her to win because it was funny, I didn’t truly think she should win... 

marth should have won. 

Will you be pulling for any of these characters? If not then at the very least, out of these 4 who will you use your free pick on? The only one I won't be pulling for is Hector. My free pull will probably be red or green.

23 minutes ago, Cysx said:

<snip>

11 minutes ago, Lau said:

<snip>

Well obviously I'm quite bias.  But I feel like Ephraim deserves to be treated as a fair contender considering he beat a character that appeared in literally 6x more games (4x exluding remakes) than Marth.  SS, to me, is second only to the Jugdral games in being completely abandoned by IS/Nintendo and I'm glad to see him win regardless.

Besides, Marth had the advantage of having RD Ike removed which is also a random CYL rule.  If RD Ike was still in the game, many of the smash voters would have voted for him which would have decreased Marth's votes by an unknown number.   CYL is far from a popularity contest imo and for a wide variety of reasons.

Edited by Lushen

30 minutes ago, Lushen said:

Problem is, the methods of how one loses can differ on whether it's morally right or wrong. When it comes to stuff that influences people to vote for them, all of it's fair game; the "disgusting" memes, Marth's Smash popularity, etc., all the votes are fair (save for multiple account abuse, but we have no evidence to point any fingers so that's an irrelevant point for now). But the character split is not fair; hell, there's no good reason to have these split characters in the first place unless they've gone through an easily noticable appearance or personality change. Marth doesn't do that; he's pretty much similar save for character development, and even then he's still the kind soul we know.

The rationale behind the votes is not an issue. The character split is.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

And speaking of Bruno, where the hell is he? Why did he just completely disappear?

I believe we left off with Bruno going off on his own to try and find a way to break the curse that he and Veronica are inflicted with.

24 minutes ago, Cysx said:

I mean, it is a popularity contest.

It technically isn't. "Who do you like most" and "who do you want to have a special version of in this game" are similar, but not at all the same. There are characters I like who I don't care at all to have a special version of.

8 minutes ago, Lushen said:

Well obviously I'm quite bias.  But I feel like Ephraim deserves to be treated as a fair contender considering he beat a character that appeared in literally 6x more games (4x exluding remakes) than Marth.  SS, to me, is second only to the Jugdral games in being completely abandoned by IS/Nintendo and I'm glad to see him win regardless.

Besides, Marth had the advantage of having RD Ike removed which is also a random CYL rule.  If RD Ike was still in the game, many of the smash voters would have voted for him which would have decreased Marth's votes by an unknown number.   CYL is far from a popularity contest imo.

I think a key thing I'd like to add just in case, is that people aren't mad at Ephraim winning here, as far as I can tell anyway. If anything, most people love Ephraim, him winning is far from the worst thing that could happen. No, people are mad that Marth lost entirely because of an honestly pretty dumb rule. There's actually barely a reason to compare the two imo.

The interesting thing is, if they do end up giving Marth (sizeable) compensation, then as a result this is the best possible outcome right here. If Marth straight up won, they would have had no reason to give Ephraim anything to appease the fanbase. Basically it's more content for us, maybe.

It technically isn't. "Who do you like most" and "who do you want to have a special version of in this game" are similar, but not at all the same. There are characters I like who I don't care at all to have a special version of.

I was kinda worried someone would make this argument, to be frank. You're not wrong, it's not strictly labelled as a popularity contest(though if it only was about the tops like you're saying, there'd be no reason to give us the entire list of results, and farfetched heroes happened too). I just think it's reasonable to consider it as one.

Edited by Cysx

15 minutes ago, Randoman said:

You guys can count me in among the ones that believe there's a special reason Marth is among the other 4 winners of Choose Your Legends 2 on the opening page. I mean, IS has already taken into account split votes by removing Radiant Dawn Ike and Masked Marth from the polls, so they could potentially be accounting for Marth's split vote issue as well by making a special version of Marth in addition to the 4 winners (even if Marth technically isn't one of the top 2 males by poll format alone).

If you combine the two Marth’s votes, he did beat Ephraim. Either way, I’m done for another free unit.

4 minutes ago, Cysx said:

I think a key thing I'd like to add just in case, is that people aren't mad at Ephraim winning here, as far as I can tell anyway. If anything, most people love Ephraim, him winning is far from the worst thing that could happen. No, people are mad that Marth lost entirely because of an honestly pretty dumb rule. There's actually barely a reason to compare the two imo.

The interesting thing is, if they do end up giving Marth (sizeable) compensation, then as a result this is the best possible outcome right here. If Marth straight up won, they would have had no reason to give Ephraim anything to appease the fanbase. Basically it's more content for us, maybe.

Pretty much this. I don't like him, really, but I'm not mad that Ephraim came second, I'm just mad because Marth lost due to the split vote, which is unfair.

I want to believe that Marth being pictured with the top 4 means he's getting a Brave version, but...I don't want to be let down.

Turns out the salt that Eirika didn't generate Ephraim got in spades....Both of them got it rough...

Anyways, I'm ok with the results. Veronica going from 6th to 2nd is bizarre but I find it amusing and getting her in whatever form is better than 4 Camillas (don't worry Camilla fans, I'm sure she'll get another seasonal variant soon for you to complete Camilla emblem). 

Now for the possible free unit...I might choose Celica because bias but I can also go with Hector if he's extremely good. It's always a good option to go for the No.1 because they are the most busted ones and then try to pull for the other 3.

1 minute ago, Alexmender said:

Turns out the salt that Eirika didn't generate Ephraim got in spades....Both of them got it rough...

Anyways, I'm ok with the results. Veronica going from 6th to 2nd is bizarre but I find it amusing and getting her in whatever form is better than 4 Camillas (don't worry Camilla fans, I'm sure she'll get another seasonal variant soon for you to complete Camilla emblem). 

Now for the possible free unit...I might choose Celica because bias but I can also go with Hector if he's extremely good. It's always a good option to go for the No.1 because they are the most busted ones and then try to pull for the other 3.

That is true. Lyn and Ike were better than Lucina and Roy