• Cavalier.
    • Cleric. (Obvious Choice.)
  5. 5. Atlas' Promotion.

• Mercenary.
    • Archer.
    • Soldier.
    • Mage.
    • Cavalier.

Grays skill is too low as an archer, he doesn't have a good spell list as mage, cavs aren't great/more needed on Alm's route, but merc is a great class that suits him well
Tobin with Excalibur is nice, I tend to go with that. Merc is good, but others are better at it, archer kinda works too.
Kliff makes a good merc, it's just a good class. I'm not really a fan of mage Kliff. Cav Kliff is decent. Archer Kliff I haven't tried, but it seems bad.
I like Faye's spell list as a cleric. However, I absolutely love Pegasus knights. I do think her spell list is amazing enough to go with that over PK. Mage/cav is just bad imo.
Atlas is pretty bad either way. Soldier is bad. Cav is bad on Celica's route. Mage Atlas is bad. I've heard people say archer Atlas is good, but I doubt it. Merc fixes his Ski/Spd problems and is just a good class, so that I guess.

Mercenary is basically the only choice Gray has.

Tobin's your best mage, due to his high base speed more than making up for the penalty fire brings on top of early excalibur; and as a Sage, he gets physic-- letting him at least be a back-up healer at the point in the game were mages begin dropping off.

Kliff is an incredibly solid cavalier that's basically a second Mathilda. His high speed + massive accuracy bonus from his Tobin support also lets him be a very effective archer.

Faye just sorta sucks at everything, but sucks the least as a Cleric and has a unique spell.

I tend to go the 'canon' route myself (Merc-Gray, Archer-Tobin, Mage-Kliff, Peg-Faye, ?(I usually go Cav cause of that one video where we got a glimpse of him)-Atlas) since I'm that person (I know I'm horrible). However, as for their best classes IMO:

Gray-Merc. Literally his only good option. His skill is shit so Archer is no, Soldier is bad in general, he doesn't have the spell list to be a good Mage and Cav is really his only other best class but he is outclassed by literally every other Cav on Alm's route, so yeah. Also, Alm's route is in desperate need of more swordies.

Tobin-Mage. While his spell list is small, he gets Excalibur at an early level and that is the only spell anyone ever needs. He also gets Physic later on as a Sage so when his combat utility begins to become mediocre, he can always do well as a heal bot.

Kliff-Archer/Cav. I found Kliff to be good as either of these. Cav is better if you want a good unit from the outset but will begin to become less useful as the game goes on due to better options a.k.a Mathilda, however he is still a good unit regardless. Archer is decent at the beginning but he begins to shine once he becomes a Bow Knight. I personally prefer Cav.

Faye-Cleric. An extra healer is always handy as is Rescue. Faye doesn't really have many options since she doesn't get any remarkable spells as a Mage and she already has stiff competition as a Peg or Cav so Cleric is best.

Atlas-Merc/Archer. Merc is just a good class for everyone but especially for Atlass since it fixes all his problems like his speed and skill but enhances his assets liek his strength and his abs so it is no doubt an amazing option. Archer can be good to since Atlas is raw damage and doing a shit ton of damage from 5 spaces away can be helpful, the only thing is his skill is shit and he wont hit much, but it is still worth the mention.Honourable mention to Mage for him getting Rescue.

TLDR; Merc!Gray, Mage!Tobin, Cav!Kliff, Cleric!Faye, Merc!Atlas.

Gray is only good as a Mercenary. The other classes introduce heavy Spd problems with him which is not something you want to have.

Tobin excels as your Excalibur Mage over Kliff. Unfortunately that will limit his usefulness during lategame as Sages have terrible movement and his Spd doesn't go along with him but he can still act as an Physic bot and Alm's route has that one chapter with Barons.

Kliff's bases are just to bad to be a Mage and his Spell list isn't great either. Cavalier doesn't touch his growth rates and his weak start is somewhat fixed. He will be inferior to Mathilda but nobody says you can't run 2 Gold Knights (or even 3 if we count Zeke) and he certainly won't disappoint. If his Spd growth kicks in during his first 2 Levels then I go Archer with so I have a Bow Knight later on (because I really can't be bothered to use Python).

Faye not being a Cleric can only lead to suffering.

Atlas is basically unsalvagable if he isn't a Merc or an Archer. He simply comes too late and he has only his Str. Cheesing with Bow Knight is an option but in general Merc is the less painful option.

I've tried different classes for all of the villagers, and my top choices are:

Grey- Mercenary (he can serve you well as a cavalier too but I recommend merc. first to fix his speed) Tobin- Archer Kliff- Cavalier (due to his good def and res ratio Kliff performs very well as a potential paladin or gold knight) Faye-Cavalier (pegasus is also good, but I favor the cavalier line. She will have better str and def than Clair though) Atlas-mercenary (he can serve well as a cavalier but I would recommend doing merc first as it will boost his sp and 2ndly you have desert levels coming up when you recruit him. Cavalier Atlas will be better if one waits till after the desert levels have been completed.)

Merc Gray

Merc Tobin

Mage Kliff

Cleric Faye

Archer Atlas

Only things I feel I need to explain is Tobin, and Atlas.

I tried archer Tobin; felt like dead weight waaaaay too long (aka the time between not having a killer bow, and getting a killer bow). Didn't hit enough, and didn't hit hard enough if he did.

Archer Atlas is the one archer that did alot more than just chip when he hit, and he at least conveniently joins when you reach the village with the blacksmith.

Honestly, I really dislike the amount of terrain avoid + the comparatively low hit of bows in the game, effectively making archers unreliable and painful to use before killer bow, but absolute monsters when they get a killer bow. Not much inbetween at all.

Gonna stop in and give my usual shout out to Archer Atlas.

Hes got just enough skill to sport a decent hit rate. Speed and Def doesn't matter when you can hit from five spaces away with a Killer Bow.
And Hunter's Volley coming off of that monstrous strength stat is no joke.  

Edited by Shoblongoo

Mercenaries. Make all of them mercenaries (except Faye, but whatever.) Max out all of their stats, then make them into any class you want. Also make sure that you have the Starsphere, as it will boost all growth rates by 30%, except resistance, which is just a 5% boost.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Gray kinda sucks at everything except merc.

Tobin i've had insane success on every run as an archer. I did a run with him as a mage, early physic and excalibur is nice and all. But thats all he gets.

Kliff has a really good spell list as a mage, so I find that to be his best choice.

Faye is obviously best as a cleric since she has early physic and a ton of other useful spells. Although she isn't to bad as a pegasus knight either.

Atlas works great as a merc or archer. Merc fixes his awful speed for the most part and his high strength makes him a terrifying dread fighter. But as an archer he can fire nukes from miles away. I typically run him through DF then make him an archer.

Edited by Faellin

• 2 weeks later...

Gray: There's no contest: mercenary. It patches up his rough speed stat and allows him to fulfill his role as a swift, front-and-center fighter (even if his defense is lacking). His lack of defense means he'll be squishy for soldier and he's only marginally better as Clive as a cavalier (imo). His spell list isn't great for a mage and, despite fixing the problem of his low defense, archer doesn't give him the speed to match his power (but it is a nice path after the Dread Fighter loop).

Tobin: I've always preferred archer Tobin since he can poke units down with his decent power (not to mention he gets the skill for it). He doesn't have enough attack nor speed to function well in the mercenary line and, much with Gray, he gets outclassed as a cavalier or a soldier. While Physic is nice on a healer, it doesn't help Tobin's only two offensive spells (even if Excalibur is really good).

Kliff: I ended up making him a cavalier my first time, but he didn't perform too well in my main campaign. Still, he has the potential to outperform Mathilda as a cavalier due to good bulk and speed (and good speed means a lighter penalty with stronger weapons). Mage is pretty obvious since he gets to learn a lot of spells (all but two) and having extra healers is always nice. With mercenary, Kliff's only selling point is very high speed; he lacks the attack growth to make good use, even with stronger weapons. Because of his speed, archer has potential, but with less attack than Python (if memory serves), he gets a little outclassed. Even having high speed won't save Kliff if he becomes a soldier (low attack on top of knights being the worst units in the game).

Faye: Went with mage my first time through and...it sucked. She gets very few spells and lacks the speed to make use of her high attack. Cleric is obvious because she gets the highly coveted Physic and is the only healer to gain access to Rescue and Anew, the dancer-esque spell. Mathilda' existence makes Faye a useless cavalier and as a pegasus knight, her only real advantage over Clair is more damage.

Atlas: I prefer to make him a mercenary to patch up his speed and let him run rampant with his high attack (he ended up surprisingly fast AND bulky on my first run). Archer can work considering he can do a lot of poke damage to enemies but it isn't my cup of tea thinking about it (especially since he becomes very similar to Leon). I don't think mage suits him because the buff guy would rather swing steel, not to mention the whole "do you want an overabundance of mercenaries or an overabundance of mages" issue (especially since most of the mages you get can outperform Mage!Atlas). Cavalier sucks because of the desert and the tang of slowing you down (not to mention the lack of speed) and soldier...don't. Valbar's bad enough as it is; there are too many witches running havoc on Celica's path to justify another slow, magically frail knight.

• 4 months later...
On 1/19/2018 at 5:02 PM, ThunderKeybladeMaster said:

I went with Gray being a Mercenary, Tobin being an Archer, Kliff being a Mage, Faye being a Cleric, and Atlas being a Mercenary/Cavalier. Well what are the best options?

In my opinion, I think that Faye should be a mage because she learns freeze which is essentially a lot better than the anew move she learns as a cleric. She may learn the rescue move but if you do make atlas a Mage (bad choice) he also has access to rescue

Edited by rudolf2139