Jump to content
Ae†her

Ryoma, Peerless Samurai

Recommended Posts

Ryoma, Peerless Samurai

Ryoma art
"I see you're taking notice of my armor. Do you find it...unusual?"

What much is there to say about the this guy. He's well-rounded and like his Fates counterpart is excellent through one battle, and then attempts to make up for the damage taken by reverting to being a surprise attacker.

Level 40 Stats:

HP: 37/41/44
Atk: 31/34/37
Spd: 32/35/38
Def: 23/27/30
Res: 18/21/24

BST: 157-158

Skills:

Weapon: Raijinto
Assist: -
Special: Astra
A: Defiant Atk 3
B: -
C: Hone Spd 3
Movement: Infantry - Access to Infantry Pulse, Wrath, Steady Breath ...etc.

Endless "Crits"

Spoiler

Nature: +Spd / -Res (+Atk / -HP is also acceptable)

Weapon: Raijinto
Assist: Reposition / Varies on Team
Special: Moonbow / Draconic Aura / Aether

A: Fury 3
B: Vantage 3 / Wrath 3
C: Varies on Team
SS: Spd+3 / Heavy Blade 3 / Distant Defense 3 / Quick Riposte 3

Fury 3 - Increases his general bulk.

Vantage 3 + Draconic Aura + Spd+3 - This focuses on Ryoma's ability to double the foe, and then with his high Atk and Vantage he should be able to hit the next opponent who decides to attack him with Draconic Aura.

Vantage 3 + Aether + Heavy Blade 3 - Similar to the above build except here Ryoma tries to use Heavy Blade 3 to get to a much longer cooldown count Special like Aether so that he can hit his opponent in the face with it while in Vantage range.

Wrath 3 + Moonbow + Spd+3 - This makes him a good duelist that procs a mean and hard Wrath 3 with Moonbow to get more kills.

Wrath 3 / Vantage 3 + Moonbow / Draconic Aura + Quick Riposte 3 Seal - Wrath 3 + Moonbow + QR 3 helps Ryoma ensure he procs Moonbow and blows his enemies out of existence (particularly useful in arena where enemy reahces crazy Speeds unmerged). Vantage 3 is a more checkmate alternative where it helps Ryoma at lower HP counter his foes with a Draconic Aura to their face, and QR Seal again seals the deal by ensuring doubles.

Distant Defense 3 Seal - Is another option that focuses on Ryoma's ability to tank ranged units of all kinds, and dish-out painful damage back at them. Goes great with most Ryoma builds except in Aether builds, in which case Ryoma needs Heavy Blade 3.

Calm Recipient

Spoiler

Nature: +Spd / -Res (+Atk / -HP is also acceptable)

Weapon: Raijinto
Assist: Reposition / Varies on Team
Special: Aether / Dragon Fang

A: Steady Breath
B: Vantage 3 / Quick Riposte 3 / Wrath 3
C: Varies on Team
SS: Spd+3 / Quick Riposte 3

Steady Breath 3 - Helps Ryoma charge up Aether very quickly.

Vantage 3 - Is there to let Ryoma hit anyone daring enough to try and attack him while his Aether is charged.

Spd+3 - You want to prevent follow-ups from your foe's as much as possible by giving into Spd as much as you can. 

Quick Riposte 3 / QR 3 Seal - Ensures doubles (useful in Arena). You can run Vantage with QR 3 Seal to have an extra offensive edge or QR 3 in the B Slot with Spd+3 to help Ryoma prevent as many follow-ups on him as possible.

Dragon Fang + Wrath 3 + QR 3 - Means of getting guaranteed high damage with Ryoma. Dragon Fang will proc regardless of who doubles because of QR 3 and Steady Breath. Wrath 3 adds +10 damage.

 Peace and War

Spoiler

Nature: +Spd / -Res (+Atk / -HP is also acceptable)

Weapon: Raijinto
Assist: Reposition / Varies on Team
Special: Draconic Aura

A: Life and Death 3
B: Desperation 3
C: Varies on Team
SS: Heavy Blade 3

Life and Death 3 - Maximizes on his Atk and Spd with Spd being the most important.

Desperation 3 - Helps him avoid damage once he's below 75% due to his severely weakened Def and Res.

Heavy Blade 3 + Draconic Aura - If Ryoma is able to make a follow-up on his foe and has higher Atk then he'll proc Draconic Aura and get the kill.

 

Edited by Ae†her

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been giving him rally Def/Res in his support slot and his native hone speed in slot c.

He retains all the offensive power of his standard A/B/Special builds, and on top of that, gains the ability to take on the supporting role of giving +4/+3/+3 stat boosts to a teammate. Increasing his arena score through the extra SP in the support slot, and making him an enabler for stat boost abusers like Gronnblade Nino.

You can crank the support value up to +4/+4/+3/+3 with any combination of a hone skill in slot c, a hone skill in slot ss, and a double rally skill in the support slot. Ryoma really doesn't need anything other than his A/B/Spec to be a standalone-threat in his own right, and the team synergies he can crank out as a support-bot on top of that just makes for excellent role compression .  He just brings so much to the table in a single team slot. 

...alternatively, Distant Defense in the SS slot works very nicely on Fury Builds. As Fury Ryoma  is often going to be taking on the opening role of baiting out ranged attackers on enemy phase and smacking them with the built-in distant counter on Raijinto. Distant Defense gives him a bit of extra padding to perform in this role.     

Edited by Shoblongoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine's +Atk/-Spd, been thinking of giving him Brazen Atk/Spd to work with Vantage, though I'm in no rush so I don't anticipate doing this anytime soon. I also pair him with Delthea, though I'd prefer Linde if I ever got her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

I've been giving him rally Def/Res in his support slot and his native hone speed in slot c.

He retains all the offensive power of his standard A/B/Special builds, and on top of that, gains the ability to take on the supporting role of give +4/+3/+3 stat boosts to a teammate. Increasing his arena score through the extra SP in the support slot, and making him an enabler for stat boost abusers like Gronnblade Nino.

You can crank the support value up to +4/+4/+3/+3 with any combination of a hone skill in slot c, a hone skill in slot ss, and a double rally skill in the support slot. Ryoma really doesn't need anything other than his A/B/Spec to be a standalone-threat in his own right, and the team synergies he can crank out as a support-bot on top of that just makes for excellent role compression .  He just brings so much to the table in a single team slot. 

...alternatively, Distant Defense in the SS slot works very nicely on Fury Builds. As Fury Ryoma  is often going to be taking on the opening role of baiting out ranged attackers on enemy phase and smacking them with the built-in distant counter on Raijinto. Distant Counter gives him a bit of extra padding to perform in this role.     

I added DD 3, and yeah it's good for a lot guaranteed survival from Red and Green mages, and buffs will always be good for Ryoma. You may want to also consider Def bane for Ryoma too with DD3 especially if running Fury 3 and Vantage 3 just so he can survive some crazy things such as Dark Aura +Atk Delthea with Death Blow 3.

2 hours ago, Johann said:

Mine's +Atk/-Spd, been thinking of giving him Brazen Atk/Spd to work with Vantage, though I'm in no rush so I don't anticipate doing this anytime soon. I also pair him with Delthea, though I'd prefer Linde if I ever got her.

It'll bring him up to a good unbuffed 60 Atk and 42 Spd when he's 32 HP and below, and the Vantage 3 range is at 30 HP, so it's not bad especially with +6 Atk boost from Delthea, however it requires Ryoma to function at such low HP without any added boost to his Def or Res, so it can be kind of risky unless you plan on running Heavy Blade seal and Aether to heal up and bring him down, in which case it might be pretty good.I'm sure you know this as well, but Brazen Atk/Spd can work better on other units, so there's that to consider when trying to sacrifice W!Robin, but that's completely up to you. I'd say if you want another good option Steady Breath with Vantage 3 and QR 3 Seal works well too.

Edited by Ae†her

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would add QR seal in general to his builds--even with Steady Breath and Close Def depending on enemy merges, natures and buffs sometimes he can't reach the def thresholds to double her naturally. QR also allows you to bypass wary fighter builds on armors, and with weapon refinery enemies stacking +spd, fury, and spd refines, they can be difficult to double even buffed (ex. I ran into a 48 spd Raven in arena this one time when my buffs on Ryoma nets him 50 spd)

I also want to note that the usefulness of vantage on him goes down as enemies get higher merged and mages become less common. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Thor Odinson said:

I would add QR seal in general to his builds--even with Steady Breath and Close Def depending on enemy merges, natures and buffs sometimes he can't reach the def thresholds to double her naturally. QR also allows you to bypass wary fighter builds on armors, and with weapon refinery enemies stacking +spd, fury, and spd refines, they can be difficult to double even buffed (ex. I ran into a 48 spd Raven in arena this one time when my buffs on Ryoma nets him 50 spd)

I also want to note that the usefulness of vantage on him goes down as enemies get higher merged and mages become less common. 

Yeah about time I updated for the QR 3 Seal as well. Also Raven has the exact same offensive stats as Ryoma plus L&D3 + SCD-1 built into his weapon now so you can expect a Raven to always be ahead of a Ryoma offensively, pretty much. We just have to wait until IS returns Ryoma to his throne with Weapon Refinery however that may be.

I've edited the OP. Let me know if there's something missing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I've been wanting to improve my Ryoma and was playing around with the mass duel simulator, and I came across a set that I think might be pretty good:

My IV's are +SPD, -HP (I got slightly better results with +SPD -RES, but this is the second best one)

Weapon: Raijinto
Assist: flexible
Special: Dragon Fang

A: Steady Breath
B: Wrath 3
C: flexible
S: Quick Riposte 3

I have attached an image his matchups on enemy phase at +0 vs. all non-blue +10 units with Fury as their blanket A skill (though he does win some matchups against blues). This set relies on procing Dragon Fang in the same round of combat and seems to give him a really solid enemy phase while not completely sacrificing his player phase capabilities, and may be worth considering. What do you think?

Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 5.37.03 AM.png

Edited by Tsuky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Tsuky: Sorry for the late reply. I don't know how I missed this in my notifications. 

I think that's still pretty enemy phase of a build simply due to the fact that you're relying on a a very high CD Special with the only means of triggering it with Steady Breath, and still having to rely on QR 3. If you tried his player phase match up with that build against +10s and Fury 3 it would be significantly different than his enemy phase even when it's against standard-skills units. That being said it's still obviously very effective in terms of damage output especially because you're using skills that are the primary way of getting guaranteed damage or Ryoma (Wrath + Dragon Fang ( and not Ignis or Glacies because Ryoma lacks Def &Res)). I'll put it down in the Calm Recipient section of builds because it is a guaranteed damage build, and that deserves to be included, but the way I see it it's barely Player Phase and all Enemy Phase. Especially if we're talking about the Arena where 38 Spd is barely anything special, and you can even get doubled past it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ae†her said:

@Tsuky: Sorry for the late reply. I don't know how I missed this in my notifications. 

I think that's still pretty enemy phase of a build simply due to the fact that you're relying on a a very high CD Special with the only means of triggering it with Steady Breath, and still having to rely on QR 3. If you tried his player phase match up with that build against +10s and Fury 3 it would be significantly different than his enemy phase even when it's against standard-skills units. That being said it's still obviously very effective in terms of damage output especially because you're using skills that are the primary way of getting guaranteed damage or Ryoma (Wrath + Dragon Fang ( and not Ignis or Glacies because Ryoma lacks Def &Res)). I'll put it down in the Calm Recipient section of builds because it is a guaranteed damage build, and that deserves to be included, but the way I see it it's barely Player Phase and all Enemy Phase. Especially if we're talking about the Arena where 38 Spd is barely anything special, and you can even get doubled past it.

No worries! Thanks for your input. I agree that his enemy phase is much stronger with this set, but with the way the meta currently is, I've been finding enemy phase sets to be much more reliable. So I've been thinking about switching out Fury-Vantage for this set. Do you think Fury is still better on him? I definitely want to switch out Vantage for Wrath though, since it has actually gotten in the way a few times in the arena and almost cost me matches.

Also, he's summoner supported and at +3 merges right now (that puts him at 41 SPD without Fury), and I've been saving up orbs for more merges. As I get more merges on him, do you think his player phase will be okay enough that I can run this set as sort of a dual-phase type of deal, with an emphasis on enemy phase?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I run Fury Wrath Qr to get the both of both worlds, personally. While EP is important, bold fighter armors is a big meta threat and player phase is the most reliable way against them, especially considering a refined Amelia can get quite fast. I use Wrath to help me charge Aether (important for points) as well. Definitely would recommend wrath over vantage. 

That being said I have also ran steady breath occasionally for points and while the atk loss fucked me over with a def-stacked vector once it's mostly been fine. As long as I don't run into bold fighter Amelia or something--she's rare compared to hector/grima/chrom, I find.

For reference, I have summoner support +4 Ryoma (Spd -hp) and fights anything from 710-734 depending on if it's Arena or AA (710-724 arena, 720-734 AA), for an idea of the kind of enemies I usually face. He has attack tactic and spd/def/res dual rally support.

I think overall I still prefer fury wrath over steady wrath for arena for the flexibility and wrath being a good special-charger if you can orko enough things without a special, but steady is fine, and probably a bit more worth if you want first-turn specials such as glimmer or luna to proc instead of something that's solidly turn 2 (without IP/QP) like aether.

That being said SB is my Ryoma's go to A slot for GHBs, since Fury's HP loss does actually matter there. It's also a 240 skill over 200, so if you need to up a SP bracket, that could be helpful. It's definitely Ryoma's best 240 A skill.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2018 at 1:02 AM, Thor Odinson said:

I run Fury Wrath Qr to get the both of both worlds, personally. While EP is important, bold fighter armors is a big meta threat and player phase is the most reliable way against them, especially considering a refined Amelia can get quite fast. I use Wrath to help me charge Aether (important for points) as well. Definitely would recommend wrath over vantage. 

That being said I have also ran steady breath occasionally for points and while the atk loss fucked me over with a def-stacked vector once it's mostly been fine. As long as I don't run into bold fighter Amelia or something--she's rare compared to hector/grima/chrom, I find.

For reference, I have summoner support +4 Ryoma (Spd -hp) and fights anything from 710-734 depending on if it's Arena or AA (710-724 arena, 720-734 AA), for an idea of the kind of enemies I usually face. He has attack tactic and spd/def/res dual rally support.

I think overall I still prefer fury wrath over steady wrath for arena for the flexibility and wrath being a good special-charger if you can orko enough things without a special, but steady is fine, and probably a bit more worth if you want first-turn specials such as glimmer or luna to proc instead of something that's solidly turn 2 (without IP/QP) like aether.

That being said SB is my Ryoma's go to A slot for GHBs, since Fury's HP loss does actually matter there. It's also a 240 skill over 200, so if you need to up a SP bracket, that could be helpful. It's definitely Ryoma's best 240 A skill.

Thanks! This is really helpful. Maybe I'll save my B!Ike for someone else then.

Also, do you think +SPD -HP is Ryoma's best IV's (that's the one I have)? I feel like both +ATK and +SPD have their merits and am not sure if I did the wrong thing by merging my +ATK -RES Ryoma into my current one. Is speed just becoming less useful with how competitive it's getting (with the likes of Ayra and Mia and speedy mages) and how a lot of armors now double regardless of speed? Also, would -RES be better than -HP at higher tiers? Not saying I will necessarily pull those IV's, but I'd like to keep an eye on any future copies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Tsuky said:

Thanks! This is really helpful. Maybe I'll save my B!Ike for someone else then.

Also, do you think +SPD -HP is Ryoma's best IV's (that's the one I have)? I feel like both +ATK and +SPD have their merits and am not sure if I did the wrong thing by merging my +ATK -RES Ryoma into my current one. Is speed just becoming less useful with how competitive it's getting (with the likes of Ayra and Mia and speedy mages) and how a lot of armors now double regardless of speed? Also, would -RES be better than -HP at higher tiers? Not saying I will necessarily pull those IV's, but I'd like to keep an eye on any future copies.

I think there's some merits to -res over -hp, especially since -hp is a 4bane and in the super high upper tiers you don't fight as many magic-hitting units (grima and winter tharja are 2 big ones, though, but you shouldn't be taking more than 1 hit against them regardless), though -hp is pretty nice for wrath and it's not a huge deal either way if you're not getting oneshot.

+spd is still his best, though, since one of the best counters against bold fighter armor is just player phasing them, and I can see +atk having some trouble outspeeding a forged bold amelia enough to properly kill her on player phase. +Spd should still get enough atk to cleanly orko the slower, bulkier greens such as WChrom and Vector.

+Spd is also good in being able to avoid being doubled by faster swords like Ayra, which means you can use quick riposte to double her instead. If you get doubled by Ayra you basically just die and can't even activate quick riposte when you're dead, so there's that. 

You shouldn't initiate into Ayra anyway unless you can kill her before she hits back anyway (or is a very bulky blue, preferably running guard). Her best build involves just straight oneshotting you if you hit her. You can always quick riposte when you can just edge not getting doubled in, but there's no point in trying to get +5 spd on her (or Mia, who runs something similar but less powerful) anyway.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Thor Odinson said:

I think there's some merits to -res over -hp, especially since -hp is a 4bane and in the super high upper tiers you don't fight as many magic-hitting units (grima and winter tharja are 2 big ones, though, but you shouldn't be taking more than 1 hit against them regardless), though -hp is pretty nice for wrath and it's not a huge deal either way if you're not getting oneshot.

+spd is still his best, though, since one of the best counters against bold fighter armor is just player phasing them, and I can see +atk having some trouble outspeeding a forged bold amelia enough to properly kill her on player phase. +Spd should still get enough atk to cleanly orko the slower, bulkier greens such as WChrom and Vector.

+Spd is also good in being able to avoid being doubled by faster swords like Ayra, which means you can use quick riposte to double her instead. If you get doubled by Ayra you basically just die and can't even activate quick riposte when you're dead, so there's that. 

You shouldn't initiate into Ayra anyway unless you can kill her before she hits back anyway (or is a very bulky blue, preferably running guard). Her best build involves just straight oneshotting you if you hit her. You can always quick riposte when you can just edge not getting doubled in, but there's no point in trying to get +5 spd on her (or Mia, who runs something similar but less powerful) anyway.

All really good points. Thanks for the tips!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2018 at 12:41 AM, Tsuky said:

No worries! Thanks for your input. I agree that his enemy phase is much stronger with this set, but with the way the meta currently is, I've been finding enemy phase sets to be much more reliable. So I've been thinking about switching out Fury-Vantage for this set. Do you think Fury is still better on him? I definitely want to switch out Vantage for Wrath though, since it has actually gotten in the way a few times in the arena and almost cost me matches.

Also, he's summoner supported and at +3 merges right now (that puts him at 41 SPD without Fury), and I've been saving up orbs for more merges. As I get more merges on him, do you think his player phase will be okay enough that I can run this set as sort of a dual-phase type of deal, with an emphasis on enemy phase?

Fury is still one of the best A skills for Ryoma to balance his player phase and enemy phase potential. Vantage provides utility due to Ryoma's builtin DC on his Raijinto, but if you're finding a really hard time making proper use of it against ranged units, then you can do Wrath instead as that improves upon his pure offensive output more than anything, and that's really the only other thing that Ryoma wants. Since you're at 41 Spd I also recommend a QR seal to ensure follow-ups on the enemy phase or Spd+3 for a chance at both phases. 

As you continue to merge Ryoma ideally you want to aim for +Spd/-Def or Res because Spd is still Ryoma's most important stat, and he still has very decent Atk to abuse things like Heavy Blade and Aether especially with the Summoner Support. -Def is only recommended because he already takes a decent amount of damage against Blues and as little from Greens, so amping his Res minimizes potential losses against blue mages like Delthea, Mae, and other one shot worthy blue mages. If you're planning on going full out to +10 with summoner support because of the high HP boost, -HP makes him look like a regular unit with godly stats as he has really high Def, and Res, with a a very decent HP stat of 45.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ae†her said:

Fury is still one of the best A skills for Ryoma to balance his player phase and enemy phase potential. Vantage provides utility due to Ryoma's builtin DC on his Raijinto, but if you're finding a really hard time making proper use of it against ranged units, then you can do Wrath instead as that improves upon his pure offensive output more than anything, and that's really the only other thing that Ryoma wants. Since you're at 41 Spd I also recommend a QR seal to ensure follow-ups on the enemy phase or Spd+3 for a chance at both phases. 

As you continue to merge Ryoma ideally you want to aim for +Spd/-Def or Res because Spd is still Ryoma's most important stat, and he still has very decent Atk to abuse things like Heavy Blade and Aether especially with the Summoner Support. -Def is only recommended because he already takes a decent amount of damage against Blues and as little from Greens, so amping his Res minimizes potential losses against blue mages like Delthea, Mae, and other one shot worthy blue mages. If you're planning on going full out to +10 with summoner support because of the high HP boost, -HP makes him look like a regular unit with godly stats as he has really high Def, and Res, with a a very decent HP stat of 45.

3

Yeah, after hearing Thor's and your suggestions, I'm gonna keep Fury on him. I do like the big numbers XD

As for IV's, I don't spend a lot of money, so the +10 dream may not come true, but I'll always be budgeting my orbs toward that goal. So I think I'm going to roll with +SPD/-HP or -RES for long-term usage, which means fewer and fewer mages encountered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...