FE 8 Chaos Mode V3.08 is here!!!

DDDHunter

The fix interfered with something and anything send to the supply would be deleted.Therefore the fix is a no go. In that case, if its not too much trouble, could someone send me a copy of their save file up to chp 14 so I can playtest chp 15 for bugs and such with having to play through all the previous level again?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, JMaula said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mzt-vt24BCsSwMFCFxZXqjy1XQj8T-GE/view?usp=drivesdk

Here's a save state from right before ch 14.

By the way, Fenrir has limited uses. Fix that while you're at it.

Because you send it on a google drive file, I need your permission to access the file. I already send you a request in your email, so please accept it.

So I've been playing the new version with the Guard class line and reached chapter 12, and Saleh is a Sage again with his standard loadout(Elfire and Thunder) and the map has been changed back to what it was in FE8, rather than the custom map it had in previous versions. Are these changes on purpose?

Oh, and a level 15 entombed with a messed up mini-portrait showed up at the end of my unit roster at the beginning of the chapter too.

Edited by JMaula

3 hours ago, JMaula said:

So I've been playing the new version with the Guard class line and reached chapter 12, and Saleh is a Sage again with his standard loadout(Elfire and Thunder) and the map has been changed back to what it was in FE8, rather than the custom map it had in previous versions. Are these changes on purpose?

Oh, and a level 15 entombed with a messed up mini-portrait showed up at the end of my unit roster at the beginning of the chapter too.

The custom map messes up Chp 13, making it impossible to load. I’ll check on the other problem

L'arachel can still use staves as a Soldier and Halberdier. Natasha however cannot use them anymore.

Tana's Berserker palette also gets messed up if she uses swords. Works fine when using axes, though.

Just finished it. Man, this hack was really fun.

It's too bad it's not compatible with the universal GBA FE randomizer, or I'd be doing some crazy stuff with it.

1 hour ago, nemid said:

Just finished it. Man, this hack was really fun.

It's too bad it's not compatible with the universal GBA FE randomizer, or I'd be doing some crazy stuff with it.

When you said you finished it, you realize that it’s only complete up to Erikia’s Chp 15 right? I need to be able to play test that chapter before more parts can be released. There’s quite a bit that is not implemented yet. Unfortunately, if you want to randomize the hack more, you will have to somehow find a randomizer that works with circle’s skill system as that is what makes the randomization incompatible with the hack.

1 hour ago, DDDHunter said:

When you said you finished it, you realize that it’s only complete up to Erikia’s Chp 15 right? I need to be able to play test that chapter before more parts can be released. There’s quite a bit that is not implemented yet. Unfortunately, if you want to randomize the hack more, you will have to somehow find a randomizer that works with circle’s skill system as that is what makes the randomization incompatible with the hack.

Yeah, I know, but I couldn't really contain myself and just blazed through the rest of the game.

It's alright though: I want to replay it, and when you update it again I'll start from scratch. maybe my Gilliam won't be defense screwed this time!

About the randomizer: I don't think it's circles' skills system interfering with it. I just patched a clean FE8 ROM with the skills patch, then randomized it (in that order) and it worked fine. When I try to patch your hack though, microsoft framework gives me an error. It allows me to continue patching, but the patching never seems to end.

This is not something you need to worry about though. It's just my habit of taking a crazy thing and trying to make it crazier.

Whew! I tried this on hard mode, and it was...well, hard. But I enjoyed it. However, I'm confused about what's going on with the weapon triangle bonuses. It seems like there's WTA, but no WTD? Attacking an axe with a sword gives the proper hit buff to the attacker and hit debuff to the defender, but vice versa does not, which resulted in some...confusing moments. Reavers are also behaving oddly, specifically the swordslayer. Ross with a swordslayer does 97 (!) damage against an iron sword mercenary in ch15, but only has 63 hit, while the merc has 75, and the advantage arrows don't display. I wondered if that meant the swordslayer wasn't a reaver anymore, but it had 0 hit vs a steel lance cav, so that's not the case.

On that note, I think this hack would benefit from someone starting out with rally/spur skill, since hitrates can be a bit shaky sometimes even with WTA (see above), and rally luck or a hoplon guard in the early game, since swords in particular have a lot of crit, so there's many ~5% chances to get killed even if you do everything possible (Natasha with WTA and rally def got OHKOd by a steel sword). Perhaps consider putting in more stealable secret books and goddess icons, as well. I approve of giving Colm more actual use.

Definitely add some information to the weapons to show when they have new abilities, especially when the ranged squares aren't showing up properly.
- I lived in fear of Pablo's Bolting with its ridiculous 30 crit, eventually taking him out with a longbow, and was stunned to find out it only had 1-4 range when I got one of my own (the red squares show 10).
- What's the benefit of Iron Blade over Steel Sword? The latter seems better in all regards. Same with Steel Bow vs Beacon Bow; the latter even has a lower weapon rank, to boot.
- Why are the monster-killers and the Devil Axe unsellable?
- Ephraim's prf tome seems a bit busted. 1-3 range, effective against knights and cavalry, stat boosts, AND a nosferatu effect? I would give it 1-2 range to give some incentive to use anything else.
- Why is the Short Spear A rank and the regular Spear B rank, especially when the latter has nosferatu and the former only has a tiny bit more might?

Lastly, there's an issue with ch14. You were nice enough to put chests on the roof (I assume the logic was to tell the player how many chest keys they would need per room), and give the player a Warp staff, which means that Colm can be warped and rescued to open the chests before opening the door to the room, allowing you to get double loot (Bolting, Purge, Dragonspear, and Guiding Ring). This may have been intentional; however, once you open the room, the chests stay permanently closed, allowing you to get infinite amounts of the previous items.
There were times where a person learns a new skill after having 6, but the "skill forgetting" window didn't show up; instead, it would show up for the next person to initiate combat. I'll mention it to circles when I figure out how to reproduce it consistently.

5 minutes ago, Tequila said:

There were times where a person learns a new skill after having 6, but the "skill forgetting" window didn't show up; instead, it would show up for the next person to initiate combat. I'll mention it to circles when I figure out how to reproduce it consistently.

That seems to happen if a character levels up from using staves and learns a skill.

7 hours ago, Tequila said:

Whew! I tried this on hard mode, and it was...well, hard. But I enjoyed it. However, I'm confused about what's going on with the weapon triangle bonuses. It seems like there's WTA, but no WTD? Attacking an axe with a sword gives the proper hit buff to the attacker and hit debuff to the defender, but vice versa does not, which resulted in some...confusing moments. Reavers are also behaving oddly, specifically the swordslayer. Ross with a swordslayer does 97 (!) damage against an iron sword mercenary in ch15, but only has 63 hit, while the merc has 75, and the advantage arrows don't display. I wondered if that meant the swordslayer wasn't a reaver anymore, but it had 0 hit vs a steel lance cav, so that's not the case.

I was playing around with changing the values WTA and WTD gives, and in FEBuilder, it let's you set individual values for each weapon type attacking another. I guess the confusion came from that fact and I assume from your statement that the reaver weapons type are actually treated as being axes for the lancereaver and so on. In that case, I reset the values to +/- 15 hit and +/- 2 atk. 

On that note, I think this hack would benefit from someone starting out with rally/spur skill, since hitrates can be a bit shaky sometimes even with WTA (see above), and rally luck or a hoplon guard in the early game, since swords in particular have a lot of crit, so there's many ~5% chances to get killed even if you do everything possible (Natasha with WTA and rally def got OHKOd by a steel sword). Perhaps consider putting in more stealable secret books and goddess icons, as well. I approve of giving Colm more actual use.

Done!

Definitely add some information to the weapons to show when they have new abilities, especially when the ranged squares aren't showing up properly.
- I lived in fear of Pablo's Bolting with its ridiculous 30 crit, eventually taking him out with a longbow, and was stunned to find out it only had 1-4 range when I got one of my own (the red squares show 10).
- What's the benefit of Iron Blade over Steel Sword? The latter seems better in all regards. Same with Steel Bow vs Beacon Bow; the latter even has a lower weapon rank, to boot.
- Why are the monster-killers and the Devil Axe unsellable?
- Ephraim's prf tome seems a bit busted. 1-3 range, effective against knights and cavalry, stat boosts, AND a nosferatu effect? I would give it 1-2 range to give some incentive to use anything else.
- Why is the Short Spear A rank and the regular Spear B rank, especially when the latter has nosferatu and the former only has a tiny bit more might?

I think I will be giving, the blade some +def, and I definitely will be adding the descriptions for the new abilities. As for the beacon bow, the only benefit is that it can one shot or two shot most monster units, mostly for people who wants to grind in the tower. As for the monster-killers being unsellable, that was a mistake, but for the devil axe, it's the only one you will be getting in the entire game, so I don't want people accidently selling it. I guess I'll just make it sellable for 0 gold instead, so people have no reason to do so. I will change Ephraim's personal and for the short spear, I decide to lower the might, but give it the ability to inflict stone, what do you think?

Lastly, there's an issue with ch14. You were nice enough to put chests on the roof (I assume the logic was to tell the player how many chest keys they would need per room), and give the player a Warp staff, which means that Colm can be warped and rescued to open the chests before opening the door to the room, allowing you to get double loot (Bolting, Purge, Dragonspear, and Guiding Ring). This may have been intentional; however, once you open the room, the chests stay permanently closed, allowing you to get infinite amounts of the previous items.

I actually don't know how I can access the edit for the chest when they appear when as a result of a tile change. Hopefully what I have done fixes it, otherwise, just please don't exploit the glitch.

Edited by DDDHunter

18 minutes ago, Tequila said:

My point was that the beacon bow is strictly superior to the steel bow, despite being a rank lower AND available as of ch2.

Another thing I forgot to mention was not being able to see magic ranks for everyone.

Okay, the beacon bow now has 8 might, and not being able to see the magic rank is because I installed the show all weapon rank patch from FEBuilder, and that was the result. 

Edit: never mind, FEBuilder has a second patch that fixes it, either I just missed it before or it's from a new update, but now, all weapon ranks will be displayed.

Edited by DDDHunter

Alright, so I just finished the prologue on difficult, and right off the bat I can say that you need to buff Eirika's stats a bit or decrease the enemy's strength, because right now on Difficult she gets one-shotted by basic enemies.  It's never good design when clearing the very start of the game depends on the RNG rolling your way. (Eirika has 15 base HP.  The enemies deal 15 points of damage per hit.  I think you can see the problem).

Also, the Counter skill doesn't seem to work, as I  have attacked both the prologue boss and the chapter 1 boss up close and counter did not activate.

Edit:  Did a double take, and found that it was Counter Magic on the Ch. 1 boss, not Counter.  Maybe it was also Counter Magic on the prologue boss as well.  If that is the case, then why are they there when you don't have a mage to use.

Edited by XIII Hearts
Correction of earlier statement.