The least popular characters in Heroes

Florete

People always talk about popular characters who aren't yet in Heroes, but never the opposite: who are the unpopular characters who made it into Heroes anyway? I got curious, so I went to the 3rd page of CYL results, started at the bottom, and wrote down the name and rank of every character who is playable in Heroes. I made two versions of the list.

First, the condensed version with the following criteria:

• Gaiden characters were removed. They got in to coincide with the release of Shadows of Valentia, which came after Heroes' release, so leaving them in felt wrong.
  • Only the most popular version of any given character is considered. The one exception to this is Bartre; despite his Blazing Blade incarnation being more popular, I used the Binding Blade version because that is the one that is in Heroes. (However, Blazing Bartre did not do much better, and is on the full list)
  • Votes for characters with multiple versions were not combined.

Spoiler

685 Roderick
676 Luke
584 Reinhardt
555 Bartre (Binding)
514 Est (Shadow Dragon)
512 Legion
470 Klein
454 Maria (Shadow Dragon)
416 Clarisse
407 Michalis
371 Hawkeye
369 Siegbert
355 Deirdre
343 Gordin (Shadow Dragon)
327 Sheena
324 Draug (Shadow Dragon)
317 Valter
315 Julia
310 Gwendolyn
308 Oscar (Path of Radiance)

Some comments:

• I think we can all agree Reinhardt will rank higher in CYL 2.
  • I'm surprised Est ranked so low. Even with all three of her versions combined she only had 399 votes, which places her between Michalis and Hawkeye.
  • Characters unique to Mystery of the Emblem tend to rank pretty low. Roderick and Luke, the two least popular characters in Heroes, are both from it, and both were introduced on the same banner!
  • There are no Awakening characters on this list or the full version. There are characters from Awakening who ranked this low, but they are not in Heroes.
  • 8 of these units (Bartre, Est, Maria, Hawkeye, Gordin, Sheena, Draug, Gwendolyn) were in the game at launch. Bartre was the least popular character in the game at launch.
  • 4 of these units (Luke, Siegbert, Deirdre, Julia) are 5* only pulls.

For reference, the full version. Includes all versions of any character in Heroes who ranked worse than 301 in CYL 1, regardless of version or circumstance.

Spoiler

728 Leon
685 Roderick
677 Clive
676 Luke
664 Est (Mystery)
642 Palla (Gaiden)
641 Tobin
639 Est (Gaiden)
627 Zephiel (Blazing)
614 Gray
592 Mae
589 Maria (Mystery)
586 Genny
584 Reinhardt
581 Boey
569 Lukas
558 Saber
555 Bartre (Binding)
552 Barst (Mystery)
545 Sonya
539 Abel (Mystery)
534 Jagen (Mystery)
523 Catria (Gaiden)
514 Est (Shadow Dragon)
512 Legion
510 Draug (Mystery)
506 Athena (Mystery)
501 Bartre (Blazing)
470 Klein (Binding)
463 Karel (Binding)
454 Maria (Shadow Dragon)
445 Anna (Mystery)
429 Mathilda
428 Oscar (Radiant Dawn)
427 Eliwood (Binding)
417 Wrys (Mystery)
416 Clarisse
413 Delthea
407 Michalis (Shadow Dragon)
392 Jeorge (Shadow Dragon)
375 Camus (Mystery)
371 Hawkeye
370 Gordin (Mystery)
369 Siegbert
364 Sothe (Path of Radiance)
357 Cain (Mystery)
355 Deirdre
346 Sanaki (Path of Radiance)
345 Anna (Radiant Dawn)
344 Palla (Shadow Dragon)
343 Gordin (Shadow Dragon)
327 Sheena
324 Draug (Shadow Dragon)
317 Valter
316 Linde (Mystery)
315 Julia
310 Gwendolyn
308 Oscar (Path of Radiance)

I don't know about anyone else, but I hate Tsubaki, and he's here. How bout Benny, Shura, Hayato, or freaking Kaze? Why the most unlikable non-Corrin character instead? 

Reinhardt is a mystery to me. I don't think he was hated, but he was just a boss who happened to be related to a playable character. An optional, playable character really.

And yeah, Binding Blade Bartre instead of Blazing Sword Bartre. Or just another, more popular Elibe axe-user. Echidna, Geese and Gonzales, Geitz, Linus, Deick. Why they chose Bartre, and that Bartre specifically is beyond me.

Wendy and Sophia get some hate, but they're female characters so they let it slide? Still would take Igrene, Echidna, Dorothy, Sue, Miledy, any combination really, over those two. Arguably the worst two units in FE6. Yeah, feel real strong with you on my team. 

37 minutes ago, Cornguy said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I hate Tsubaki, and he's here. How bout Benny, Shura, Hayato, or freaking Kaze? Why the most unlikable non-Corrin character instead? 

Reinhardt is a mystery to me. I don't think he was hated, but he was just a boss who happened to be related to a playable character. An optional, playable character really.

And yeah, Binding Blade Bartre instead of Blazing Sword Bartre. Or just another, more popular Elibe axe-user. Echidna, Geese and Gonzales, Geitz, Linus, Deick. Why they chose Bartre, and that Bartre specifically is beyond me.

Wendy and Sophia get some hate, but they're female characters so they let it slide? Still would take Igrene, Echidna, Dorothy, Sue, Miledy, any combination really, over those two. Arguably the worst two units in FE6. Yeah, feel real strong with you on my team. 

I like both Subaki (certainly more than Hana, the other Sakura retainer) and (female) Corrin. One character from 3DS games I really didn't like at all was Forsyth.

Reinhardt may also have the particularity of being perhaps the most dangerous boss in the series, at least from my experience. Unless you know to use his sister to help cheese the guy but even then I recall it being not that simple.

Eh, I understand why a lot of those are in there. Heroes likes its archetypes, so any red-green knight pair or peg sisters had a good chance at showing up. On that note, a lot of Shadow Dragon/Mystery of the Emblem characters are in there period, maybe to show off the original game's characters or maybe because all the archetypes are in some ways based off them. Popular or not, Julia and Deirdre are main characters, so they were sure to get a spot eventually. And all the young, handsome, tragic bosses are perfect for Heroes antagonists, so they all fit. The New Mystery characters make sense too because there aren't that many characters from strictly New Mystery, they pulled the ones with memorable designs and called it good. On Seigbert, it was a matter of time before Fates children crept their way into the game.

Which leaves:

555 Bartre (Binding)
470 Klein
371 Hawkeye
310 Gwendolyn

And I don't understand any of those. Maybe Gwendoln for just another female armor unit and dare I say Bartre for the meme?

As far as characters I wish we didn't have, just fewer Fates characters in general. I honestly didn't hate Fates but everybody knows the characters were very one-note, and there are just gobs of them in Heroes clogging up my summons. :(

Probably the same can be said for Shadow Dragon/Mystery characters, but I happen to love those games so.....

I'm sure that some of those characters will get more votes in the next CYL thanks to their inclusion in Heroes.

Reinhard is the obvious one, he'll go a lot higher I think. I've also seen a lot of people use Julia and Deirdre in VG's so those will probably get a small boost as well.

Oh and I'm pretty sure that Echoes released after the CYL so characters like Genny, Saber, Leon, Boey, Sonya, Mae and the pega sisters will also get a boost of sorts.

12 minutes ago, Solvaij said:

Eh, I understand why a lot of those are in there. Heroes likes its archetypes, so any red-green knight pair or peg sisters had a good chance at showing up. On that note, a lot of Shadow Dragon/Mystery of the Emblem characters are in there period, maybe to show off the original game's characters or maybe because all the archetypes are in some ways based off them. Popular or not, Julia and Deirdre are main characters, so they were sure to get a spot eventually. And all the young, handsome, tragic bosses are perfect for Heroes antagonists, so they all fit. The New Mystery characters make sense too because there aren't that many characters from strictly New Mystery, they pulled the ones with memorable designs and called it good. On Seigbert, it was a matter of time before Fates children crept their way into the game.

Which leaves:

555 Bartre (Binding)
470 Klein
371 Hawkeye
310 Gwendolyn

And I don't understand any of those. Maybe Gwendoln for just another female armor unit and dare I say Bartre for the meme?

As far as characters I wish we didn't have, just fewer Fates characters in general. I honestly didn't hate Fates but everybody knows the characters were very one-note, and there are just gobs of them in Heroes clogging up my summons. :(

Probably the same can be said for Shadow Dragon/Mystery characters, but I happen to love those games so.....

Bartre because Fir, Klein because Clarine(he was on the siblings banner but Clarine was already in the game, that's also the original reason for Reinhardt, a need for characters with a sibling). Hawkeye because he's... unique, perhaps? Not sure.

Edited by Cysx

I don't really get why hinata is there, I know that he's a royal retainer but he's probably the least interesting char in fates  

also why soleil but no ophelia or caeldori

8 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

Well people are now talking about how under rated Glade is, so it' not like the vice versa isn't happening either.

Yeah, I was actually kind of hurt for Glade when I found out he was last. I mean, he's not super important, but he's a solid enough unit, has a leadership star, and seems to be a pretty nice all around guy.

Anyway, I'm legitimately glad Est is that low. I can't stand her. Not as a character per se, but as a person. Echoes did help her, but my vitriol for her from Mystery is too much for that to overcome entirely.

Cuts me deep that Oscar is that low. He's so lovable and I'm glad Heroes made him pretty good.

Julia and Dierdre are surprisingly low. I thought they were pretty popular in Japan?

And yeah, I think we can already give Rein the award for most improved standing.

56 minutes ago, Pengaius said:

I don't really get why hinata is there, I know that he's a royal retainer but he's probably the least interesting char in fates  

also why soleil but no ophelia or caeldori

I understand your point view, but Hinata was more important for FE14 story, than e.g. Shura or any children of Fates. Soleil was more popular than Caeldori, but I do like Caeldori more too.

28 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

And yeah, I think we can already give Rein the award for most improved standing.

Reinhard surprised me too, he is now very popular, only for his strength I guess.

There are 3 Characters by now I did not pay much attention to in the original games.
These are Sheena, Gwendolyn and Hinoka.
And I must say I start to like them more as I use them often through fire emblem heroes, how strange this ist.
Ok, I admit that I'm also influenced by the artwork.
But some characters grow with you if you use them much like Reinhard to some people, even if they have no attachment to his character. 

I think it is quite difficult too truly measure the true popularity. I mean I also thought that Deirdre would gain more voice. (I even gave her one of my votes).
But I still think there a many who played FE4 who like her, the only thing is that maybe other characters like Ishtar stand out more in this game. And of course they gain more voices, because characters like Deirdre just only made it to place 2 on the choosing list of many voters.
This still does not mean that many of them would be unhappy about Deirdre.

After all I must say that I'm glad that not all of their decisions are made from a popularity poll. Because it also gives hope for some of us who like certain unpopular characters. So it could also be a psychological strategy from the marketing, that their decision to release certain units is not totally transparent.

10 hours ago, bottlegnomes said:

Yeah, I was actually kind of hurt for Glade when I found out he was last. I mean, he's not super important, but he's a solid enough unit, has a leadership star, and seems to be a pretty nice all around guy.

Well, at least he's not likely to be last place anymore since he has the whole pity voting going for him now.

9 hours ago, Morswo said:

Reinhard surprised me too, he is now very popular, only for his strength I guess.

Pretty sure someone at least made the attempt to wiki the guy at this point.

22 hours ago, Cysx said:

Bartre because Fir, Klein because Clarine(he was on the siblings banner but Clarine was already in the game, that's also the original reason for Reinhardt, a need for characters with a sibling). Hawkeye because he's... unique, perhaps? Not sure.

Fair enough.