Is Thracia 776 really good?

DarkMage73

1 hour ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

That's a very, very, VERY nice way to put it. It's as though you fail to consider that the complexity of the mechanics can be just as big a turn-off as the maps themselves... Some of the stuff about FE4 that bothers me, aside from the maps, is...

• Lack of trading
  • Related to the above, the pawn shop system
  • Individual money system
  • related to the above, the limited way of transferring money between units
  • The lack of balance between weapon types (and units in general)

I would be extremely hesitant to say that the maps are "enjoyable" when literally every map falls victim to the same fundamental flaws... Giant maps on that scale just do not work in a game series where either a single mistake or bad RNG can permanently kill a unit. And some of them (chapters 2, 4, and 7 stand out in particular) are really bad due to either being heavy on backtracking or terrain abuse.

Funny you say that, because the reclass and skill systems were both improved from Awakening. Also, it's FATES. Get it right, damn it. And I dare say that FE4's maps manage to be EVEN WORSE than those of Revelation due to the design.

>. And I dare say that FE4's maps manage to be EVEN WORSE than those of Revelation due to the design.

Dude, I think you just went TOO far, I think you must take it back or I'll attack you with a parasol being almost naked!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Nah. I mean, Awakening's gameplay is pretty bad but i'd still rather prefer it over FE4. Also, Fates: Conquest is regarded to have the best gameplay in the series. Birthright and Revelation are whatever but Conquest has the best gameplay.

See, here's the thing, if it was just the big maps that were the issue, i wouldn't be as harsh on the gameplay as i currently am. But FE4's gameplay problems go beyond the big maps. The big maps end up causing most of the problems.

• The big maps make it a slog to get from one place to the next
  • The size of the maps directly affects unit balance, and in a bad way. Any unit that has a mount is automatically better than the ones who don't. There are other Horse Emblem FEs out there, but nowhere near the extent of FE4. 
  • Not having a mount in this game means that you'll always reach the battle late. By the time you do, all of your horse buddies will have already taken care of the enemy.
  • Mounts aren't the only balancing issues. Having Holy Blood and/or Pursuit makes you a better unit than those who don't. Locking doubling behind a skill was stupid btw.
  • Combine Holy Blood and Mounted units and you get the game's alternative title: Horse Emblem: Genealogy of the Magic Plot Armor.
  • Trading is removed in favor the tedious Pawn Shop. Want to trade? Backtrack to a castle, sell the item, then backtrack to the main group. Fun game design, amirite?
  • Promoting level requirement is 20 instead of the usual 10 (but that's one of the more tame issues)
  • The maps are empty half the time so you're spending 5-7 turns doing nothing but "move. wait. end turn".
  • If you want to save villages completely intact, you have to rush like a madman.

Also, complexity =/= good game design.

Key word: DLC. A.k.a optional content. Reclassing is also optional. Skills work mostly the same way as they did in FE4, so what the actual hell are you talking about?

Yeah, that's entirely subjective and has no effect on the gameplay (well, Supports do but not from a writing standpoint).

Anyway, this thread was about Thracia. Let's not get too off topic.

I never had problem moving non-mounted units, except for Arden, but he is a bad unit anyway, so I think you are exageratting, and there is also the movement ring which provides you +3 movement. Pawn shop is one of the mechanics of this game, like all units having his own money, and you can earn money easily by the arena, villages or using thiefs who can give money to anyone. Also you can use the time when the map is empty to manage your army and healing your units, then you can go to the next enemy whenever you want,  so don´t think it is a problem. The only problem with promoting is that you neeed to go to the main castle once you got a unit to level 20, but you can still earn experience anyway since level does not reboot once you promote a unit.

Edited by Joseph

2 hours ago, Joseph said:

I never had problem moving non-mounted units, except for Arden, but he is a bad unit anyway, so I think you are exageratting, and there is also the movement ring which provides you +3 movement. Pawn shop is one of the mechanics of this game, like all units having his own money, and you can earn money easily by the arena, villages or using thiefs who can give money to anyone. Also you can use the time when the map is empty to manage your army and healing your units, then you can go to the next enemy whenever you want,  so don´t think it is a problem. The only problem with promoting is that you neeed to go to the main castle once you got a unit to level 20, but you can still earn experience anyway since level does not reboot once you promote a unit.

This sounds like an attempt to downplay just how bad those problems really are... Sure, Arden (and Hannibal in gen 2) suffers the most from the map size, but most other infantry don't fare much better considering that all mounted units gain move on promotion, but only one infantry class does (Thief Fighter; this is discounting foot units that get mounts on promotion). Also, there's only one Leg Ring. As for the pawn shop, it being "one of the mechanics of this game" doesn't mean a thing when it's a huge step backwards relative to trading in other FE games (all it does is make transferring items annoying by requiring backtracking). Every unit having their own stash only makes things even worse. The arena doesn't excuse this either because some units have an easier time winning than others. Villages and thieves can give money to anyone, sure, but foot units are unlikely to get any villages in the first place without repeatedly having to slow down.

21 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Watching a game is not playing a game. 

Well, I do agree that watching someone else play a game and actually playing a game are two different things. But... In this day and age, when most of my decisions gaming-wise are based on stuff that I see, I require a good impression to be sold on a game. And Thracia has nothing that tells me "this game is worth playing", especially in the face of its fundamental design failings.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

This sounds like an attempt to downplay just how bad those problems really are... Sure, Arden (and Hannibal in gen 2) suffers the most from the map size, but most other infantry don't fare much better considering that all mounted units gain move on promotion, but only one infantry class does (Thief Fighter; this is discounting foot units that get mounts on promotion). Also, there's only one Leg Ring. As for the pawn shop, it being "one of the mechanics of this game" doesn't mean a thing when it's a huge step backwards relative to trading in other FE games (all it does is make transferring items annoying by requiring backtracking). Every unit having their own stash only makes things even worse. The arena doesn't excuse this either because some units have an easier time winning than others. Villages and thieves can give money to anyone, sure, but foot units are unlikely to get any villages in the first place without repeatedly having to slow down.

Well, I do agree that watching someone else play a game and actually playing a game are two different things. But... In this day and age, when most of my decisions gaming-wise are based on stuff that I see, I require a good impression to be sold on a game. And Thracia has nothing that tells me "this game is worth playing", especially in the face of its fundamental design failings.

Seeing that you favorite game is Dates, I don't think you have good taste at all, and despite all its problems, I consider Thracia 776 far better than Dates

7 minutes ago, DarkMage73 said:

Seeing that you favorite game is Dates, I don't think you have good taste at all, and despite all its problems, I consider Thracia 776 far better than Dates

Now, now.

I may disagree with Mister Celestia as much as the next person regarding Thracia 776, but there is no need to resort to direct personal insults.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

9 minutes ago, DarkMage73 said:

Resorting to personal attacks does not make you look credible. Also, it's Fates.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

46 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Resorting to personal attacks does not make you look credible. Also, it's Fates.

In fact I did'nt intend to insult you, I just found ironic that you are so fussy about Thracia gameplay whereas DATES is your favorite game

Edited by DarkMage73

6 minutes ago, UNLEASH IT said:

Yes, but I have, and I agree with him.

Well then at least you have an opinion worth listening to on this subject. 

Edited by Slumber

15 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Well then at least you have an opinion worth listening to on this subject. 

I don't think it's right to disregard someone's opinion just because they haven't experienced the game first hand. Sure, if they only heard about the game from someone else and based their opinions on that then maybe you can do that. But Levant said he watched playthroughs of the game and, provided he has a general grasp of FE, he can make informed assessments about the game's design based on that. Like, you don't need to actually play the game to see that having next to no control over the ordering of your units at the start of a chapter is a bad design choice. One should never have to endure playing a bad game to be able to say that it's bad (Not that Thracia is necessarily a bad game, mind you)

FE5 along with its sibling set the standard of modern FE. No matter how you feel about them, you have to respect that. 

I like Thracia personally, despite some of its more questionable design choices. While I don't think said choices were enough to ruin the game, I could live without them. One of the things I enjoy about FE is how different each one is from the others, it keeps things from getting stale. This is especially present in the Kaga era.   

What's all this "fuck FE4" talk about? Every Kaga FE save 3 and 5 needs a speed button to be tolerable to most, what's so special about FE4? The only issue I have with it is that it's horribly unbalanced and super easy, but that's kinda unavoidable given the nature of this title. How do any of you critics suggest we fix that? 

And it seems to be cool to hate on Revelation for some reason, why? It's better than Birthright, and the only questionable chapters are the snow shovel and Sumeragi one. It also suffers from bad balance and easy difficulty, but it's far from the abomination everyone's pretending it is. 

32 minutes ago, UNLEASH IT said:

But Levant said he watched playthroughs of the game and, provided he has a general grasp of FE, he can make informed assessments about the game's design based on that.

Not really. Before I was able to purchase Fates, I was one of the haters in the sense that I already made up my mind that it was going to suck based off of what I heard from other people. I was then pleasantly surprised by what I got, particularly Conquest, hence the left side. He can't make a fair judgement until he's actually played.

3 hours ago, UNLEASH IT said:

I don't think it's right to disregard someone's opinion just because they haven't experienced the game first hand. Sure, if they only heard about the game from someone else and based their opinions on that then maybe you can do that. But Levant said he watched playthroughs of the game and, provided he has a general grasp of FE, he can make informed assessments about the game's design based on that. Like, you don't need to actually play the game to see that having next to no control over the ordering of your units at the start of a chapter is a bad design choice. One should never have to endure playing a bad game to be able to say that it's bad (Not that Thracia is necessarily a bad game, mind you)

It's perfectly in our right to disregard someones opinion in this respect. Especially regarding his past history in arguments on this forum. We have experience, he does not.

Edited by Jedi

3 hours ago, UNLEASH IT said:

It's one thing if I think the game is bad and decide not to play it.  However, when there's statements like this:

15 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I VERY strongly disagree - they don't have bloated maps that make them a massive slog to play, as well as numerous obnoxious and frustrating mechanics.

I fully expect whoever said that to have attempted the game firsthand.  Everyone's play style is different, and maybe the reason why the maps look so bad is because the person playing it in the video is inexperienced.

---

For my opinion, I don't like the idea of staves missing.  Some mechanics were interesting, and I really would like to see them properly expanded on (capture in Fates and fatigue in SoV didn't do either of those mechanics justice IMO).  However, leaving staves up to RNG leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Edited by eclipse

6 hours ago, DarkMage73 said:

In fact I did'nt intend to insult you, I just found ironic that you are so fussy about Thracia gameplay whereas DATES is your favorite game

Because there isn't much for me to complain about in terms of gameplay regarding Fates, whereas there is for Thracia. (That's not to say that I don't have issues with Fates, but that I largely consider its issues minor compared to the issues I have with Thracia) Off the top of my head, I'm bothered by:

• The regression to 20 caps (Genealogy, which preceded it, first did away with those, so it feels like they're taking steps backward)
  • Fog of war (it isn't unique to Thracia, and it's annoying no matter the game, but it's the worst in Thracia since you can't even see the terrain)
  • Overly cryptic recruitments (Xavier's the worst by far, but Eyrios, Misha, and Homeros to an extent could also be considered guilty of this; the former stands out in particular on account of requiring you to either not have recruited a certain character, that being Olwen, or to have killed her. This is literally the only recruitment that requires this, excepting Shadow Dragon. The other two are also stuff that someone who doesn't have a guide likely wouldn't find out on their own)
  • Fatigue (I'm not willing to entertain the possibility that the game bars me from using a unit that I like)
  • Forced dismounting in indoor maps (dismounting wasn't too bad in Mystery because it didn't nerf units to hell; here, it pretty much neuters units that don't have a good sword rank)
  • Permanent status effects (considering how annoying status effects are in general, making them permanent doesn't help their case)
  • Losing units that didn't escape before Leif (the game doesn't warn you about this; while you can break them out of prison later, this still comes off to me as poor game design
  • Healing staves missing (I consider this inexcusably bad game design, and a major deal-breaker)

While I don't hate Thracia, I don't like it that much due to a lot of 'Bullshit' as I like to call it happens. There are tons of things that you can't know without a guide that the game does punish you for. An example would be in one of the first chapters, don't remember which, where everyone gets removed from your party except Leif and Lifis. A lot of people don't keep their stuff, and that just gets deleted if you don't know this beforehand. If I remember correctly. The things Leif and Lifis have in their Inventory get's randomly distributed across the chests. But, i'm pretty sure if you give them full inventories, one of the items gets deleted thanks to not having enough chests on the map. This is very unfair and can really screw you over if you don't have a guide with you. Another thing would be having to have enough door keys in the final chapter or else you can't beat it. How should I know this? And one other thing: Ballisticians were unnecesarily broken in this game.

1 hour ago, Michelaar said:

While I don't hate Thracia, I don't like it that much due to a lot of 'Bullshit' as I like to call it happens. There are tons of things that you can't know without a guide that the game does punish you for. An example would be in one of the first chapters, don't remember which, where everyone gets removed from your party except Leif and Lifis. A lot of people don't keep their stuff, and that just gets deleted if you don't know this beforehand. If I remember correctly. The things Leif and Lifis have in their Inventory get's randomly distributed across the chests. But, i'm pretty sure if you give them full inventories, one of the items gets deleted thanks to not having enough chests on the map. This is very unfair and can really screw you over if you don't have a guide with you. Another thing would be having to have enough door keys in the final chapter or else you can't beat it. How should I know this? And one other thing: Ballisticians were unnecesarily broken in this game.

Because there isn't much for me to complain about in terms of gameplay regarding Fates, whereas there is for Thracia. (That's not to say that I don't have issues with Fates, but that I largely consider its issues minor compared to the issues I have with Thracia) Off the top of my head, I'm bothered by:

• The regression to 20 caps (Genealogy, which preceded it, first did away with those, so it feels like they're taking steps backward)
  • Fog of war (it isn't unique to Thracia, and it's annoying no matter the game, but it's the worst in Thracia since you can't even see the terrain)
  • Overly cryptic recruitments (Xavier's the worst by far, but Eyrios, Misha, and Homeros to an extent could also be considered guilty of this; the former stands out in particular on account of requiring you to either not have recruited a certain character, that being Olwen, or to have killed her. This is literally the only recruitment that requires this, excepting Shadow Dragon. The other two are also stuff that someone who doesn't have a guide likely wouldn't find out on their own)
  • Fatigue (I'm not willing to entertain the possibility that the game bars me from using a unit that I like)
  • Forced dismounting in indoor maps (dismounting wasn't too bad in Mystery because it didn't nerf units to hell; here, it pretty much neuters units that don't have a good sword rank)
  • Permanent status effects (considering how annoying status effects are in general, making them permanent doesn't help their case)
  • Losing units that didn't escape before Leif (the game doesn't warn you about this; while you can break them out of prison later, this still comes off to me as poor game design
  • Healing staves missing (I consider this inexcusably bad game design, and a major deal-breaker)

You're right about the FE5 flaws, so I think we must accept that Thracia 776 is shitty and poorly done, but overall, I think Dates is worse

Edited by DarkMage73

23 minutes ago, DarkMage73 said:

You're right about the FE5 flaws, so I think we must accept that Thracia 776 is shitty and poorly done, but overall, I think Dates is worse

Dates huh? Sounds like a delightful game, when will it release?

By this I mean, I highly disagree, but I respect your opinion.

15 hours ago, DarkMage73 said:

and there is also the movement ring which provides you +3 movement.

Oh man, the one Leg Ring. God forbid you get it on the wrong unit btw, or else that's like 5-6 turns backtracking to a castle.

15 hours ago, DarkMage73 said:

Pawn shop is one of the mechanics of this game,

That doesn't mean it's good.

11 hours ago, DarkMage73 said:

"You're favorite game is Fates so you're opinion is invalid" is basically what you're saying. If you're gonna be like that when people disagree with you, then i'm just not gonna take you seriously. Saying Levant's opinion is invalid because his favorite FE games is Fates and also calling Fates "Dates" is some Gamfaqs-tier bullshit right there.

5 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

Naturally Armagon and Levant materialise the instant any discussion happens about a Jugdral game. Nothing ever changes, nothing to see here.

God forbid we have a discussion about a game.

8 hours ago, Køkø said:

What's all this "fuck FE4" talk about? Every Kaga FE save 3 and 5 needs a speed button to be tolerable to most, what's so special about FE4? The only issue I have with it is that it's horribly unbalanced and super easy, but that's kinda unavoidable given the nature of this title. How do any of you critics suggest we fix that? 

Glad you asked

1. Reduce the size of the maps but keep the layout the same. An FE4 remake can keep it's unique "seize multiple castles" thing, just on a smaller scale. It's been done before. Ch.27 in Hector's Mode of FE7 does this. In addition, making the maps smaller reduces the gap between mounted units and infantry units. That way, FE4 is no longer horse emblem and non-mounted units have a chance to shine. Even Arden would get his chance.
  2. Make the minimum promotion level not 20. In FE4, Staff-users suffered from taking way too long to promote. Having the promotion level be at 10 would help them.
  3. Bandits should not start near, or on top of the villages. Bandits shouldn't spawn in an area of the map you haven't accessed yet either *cough* Ch.2 *cough*.
  4. Replace the Skill system with Arts. Arts are better than Skills because you don't have to rely on RNG to activate them. This isn't a big deal though. I wouldn't mind Skills returning. I just prefer Arts.
  5. That thing where the enemy can switch weapons during the player phase, take that out. It's unfair that the enemy can switch weapons during the player phase but the player can't during the enemy phase.
  6. Make non-Holy Blood units not suck.
  7. Get rid of the Pawn Shop entirely. Why does it exist when literally every other game in the series had regular Trading?
  8. The Love System should be handled like Support Conversations that have appeared in most games. FE4 kinda had conversations, but they were pretty rare. Plus, having Support Conversations would make the romance between two characters easier to follow. We'd actually get to see them grow in their relationship.
  9. This isn't gameplay related but Sigurd could use some improvement. He's my least favorite Lord and I always found him to be boring in the game, yet, the Oosawa manga made Sigurd much, much more likable as a character. I'd like to see Sigurd's adaptation in the Oosawa manga implemented into a potential remake.
  10. Get rid of Pursuit

I said this way back when the "FE4 Echoes ideas" thread was created (i added #10 just now though since i realized it wasn't there).

I haven't played in FE5 yet, but I'm going to start it pretty soon and I'm hoping to like it. 

Maybe the only thing I won't like about FE5 is the whole "healing staves missing" thing, but I think I can handle that sort of stuff for the most part.

2 hours ago, DarkMage73 said:

Dates

Stop, you're making me imagine the Fates cast being in a desert and eating actual dates.

5 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

3 hours ago, Michelaar said:

Dates huh? Sounds like a delightful game, when will it release?

By this I mean, I highly disagree, but I respect your opinion.

Dates may have better gameplay than FE5, but overall, FE4 and FE5 are far better at designs, plot, characters designs, you don´t have to pay a lot of money to play the game completely, etc. I call it "Dates" because it looks like a cringy and weeb dating sim where its characters appears to come from a moeshit anime, and, Unlike Livant with FE5, I have played all routes of Dates (Afortunately I have CFW and I did'nt pay a single buck for that shit that would have cost me A LOT of money). Regarding FE4, I am agree with Koko and I think its biggest problem is being completely unabalanced, but I don't think it is easy at all (Dates difficulty besides Conquest is much worse than it).

Edited by DarkMage73

2 minutes ago, DarkMage73 said:

I

Dates may have better gameplay than FE5, but overall, FE4 and FE5 are far better at designs, plot, characters designs, you don´t have to pay a lot of money to play the game completely, etc. I call it "Dates" because it looks like a cringy and weeb dating sim where its characters appears to come from a moeshit anime, and, Unlike Livant with FE5, I have played all routes of Dates (Afortunately I have CFW and I did'nt pay a single buck for that shit that would have cost me A LOT of money). Regarding FE4, I am agree with Koko and I think its biggest problem is being completely unabalanced, but I don't think it is easy at all (Dates difficulty besides Conquest is much worse than it).

This is subjective. And as I stated earlier, I'm a gameplay-over-story kind of person, so it doesn't matter how good the story is if I deem the gameplay to fail to measure up to my standards.

I have to admit watching LPs influenced my decision if buying / playing a game or not.

I watched Markyjoe's LP of FE5 who did not like the game and even cancelled it. Nevertheless the game interested me because it had (unique) mechanics no other FE game offers. Of course some of them don't really work well like fatigue, 1-99% hitrate or stave missing, but some others were outstanding. Capturing how it exists in FE5 is the most fun mechanic in FE. It's way better than to grind for money to buy OP stuff. 

But then again, watching is a total other experience than playing. 
I was sceptical about Echoes by watching LPs of it, but I still enjoyed it, even if it's defenitely not the best FE game in terms of gameplay.

Also I find it annoying to discredit games just by giving them an other name just to make fun of it. It's annoying and bad influence for people who haven't played this game yet. Disliking sth. is fine, but not discrediting at any price.

Edited by 豊聡耳 神子

11 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

This is subjective. And as I stated earlier, I'm a gameplay-over-story kind of person, so it doesn't matter how good the story is if I deem the gameplay to fail to measure up to my standards.

The story, plot and characters are important in FE and most RPG´s, most people would settle for a decent story like most FE games, but Dates goes too far, the story, characters and plot are not only AWFUL but cringy, I would feel completely embarassed if my family saw me playing that shit. Also, even Conquest gameplay is far from being the best in the series, I would say that even Sacred stones is better than it, besides, it seems like you are a fan of anime girls.

Edited by DarkMage73