My favorite thing about Heroes

DarkDestr0yer61

We actually learn how some of these names are pronounced.

I never realized I have been pronouncing Lyon and Myrrh wrong. 

Warriors does this to a lesser extent, but I think the only name people were confused about was Caeda (I hear people call her Kay-duh).... also the clarification of Tharja's name when she finally gets in

Listening to voices and looking at artwork.

Also watching Ninian's dragon kindergarten incinerate everything. (We got a new transfer come in this morning!)

7 minutes ago, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

Warriors does this to a lesser extent, but I think the only name people were confused about was Caeda (I hear people call her Kay-duh).... also the clarification of Tharja's name when she finally gets in

I always go by the closest approximation to the Japanese pronunciation if the name hasn't been significantly changed in the localization.

Except Heroes changed some actual official pronunciations though. Like Sothe. In RD, it was "Soth" with a short o sound. Heroes made it "SOH-the" with a long o sound. :/ So it actually isn't consistent, unfortunately. But at least we do get some ideas, yeah.

I do appreciate the help with pronunciation. Translating letters into verbal sounds is not my strong suit, and this helps... except in the case of Ephraim who is up to I believe four or five different pronunciations across all the characters who mention him in voice lines. I have resigned myself to never knowing how to pronounce this guys name. 

Otherwise the voice work, variety of art styles, and getting to go crazy building up favorites have been making this game fun for me for almost a full year now.

4 minutes ago, DarkLordIvy said:

I do appreciate the help with pronunciation. Translating letters into verbal sounds is not my strong suit, and this helps... except in the case of Ephraim who is up to I believe four or five different pronunciations across all the characters who mention him in voice lines. I have resigned myself to never knowing how to pronounce this guys name. 

Many words in English have multiple correct pronunciations that vary from person to person (take "almond", "caramel", "bagel", "soggy", "Chicago", or "Boston" for example), so just pick one and settle with it.

Edited by Ice Dragon

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

Many words in English have multiple correct pronunciations that vary from person to person (take "almond", "caramel", "bagel", "soggy", "Chicago", or "Boston" for example), so just pick one and settle with it.

That is true. I am from the part of the US that ignores the 'T' in mounTain. I'll settle on a way to pronounce Ephraim eventually, but as long as I don't have to say his name out loud I will put that decision off.

3 hours ago, DarkLordIvy said:

It's like watching Empire Strikes Back for the first time all over again

5 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Also watching Ninian's dragon kindergarten incinerate everything. (We got a new transfer come in this morning!)

This cracked me up for some reason. Do you have a team of three Faes and a Ninian or something?

33 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

This cracked me up for some reason. Do you have a team of three Faes and a Ninian or something?

I would guess at Ninian, Lil Tiki, Fae and Nowi. Nowi or Fae probably graduated to make room for Myrrh.

3 minutes ago, Cornguy said:

I would guess at Ninian, Lil Tiki, Fae and Nowi. Nowi or Fae probably graduated to make room for Myrrh.

Fae's the only one who appears/acts "kindergarten" age though.

7 hours ago, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

I think the only name people were confused about was Caeda (I hear people call her Kay-duh)....

I still trip up and say "Kay-duh" to be honest...

I don't think the problem shouldn't be as prevalent if they stick to what Echoes did and have everything voice-acted, since no name went unsaid.

1 hour ago, Dragoncat said:

Fae's the only one who appears/acts "kindergarten" age though.

I thought you could make the case for Archanean Tiki, but would you put her a few years above kindergarten age? 

38 minutes ago, Cornguy said:

Nowi may have been held back in kindergarten. 

I only hope the allegations of why that was are false.

20 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

I still trip up and say "Kay-duh" to be honest...

Let me guess, it's pronounced exactly like Sheeda/Shiida? 

If so, I certainly won't be surprised if Ced is exactly like Sety. 

7 hours ago, DarkLordIvy said:

That is true. I am from the part of the US that ignores the 'T' in mounTain. I'll settle on a way to pronounce Ephraim eventually, but as long as I don't have to say his name out loud I will put that decision off.

Around here, we don't pronounce the first "N" in Mountain.

Ephraim is properly pronounced Ee-fray-um.

2 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Ephraim is properly pronounced Ee-fray-um.

Does someone say it that way? In Seth's little talky things, he pronounces it Eff-rum, basically ignoring the "i". Likewise with Eirika, no different from "Erica"

21 minutes ago, Johann said:

Does someone say it that way? In Seth's little talky things, he pronounces it Eff-rum, basically ignoring the "i". Likewise with Eirika, no different from "Erica"

Eff-rum is a common pronunciation of that name. I always pronounce it eff-rame, but I've just kind of accepted that I'm pronouncing it wrong. 

I am also rather pleased with this development. I do try to use official names and pronunciations where possible, so actually getting to know how to pronounce some of the stranger spellings is good, even if I do still get tripped up on some names I've been pronouncing a certain way for too long. Hopefully they keep it up with FE Switch.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Let me guess, it's pronounced exactly like Sheeda/Shiida? 

If so, I certainly won't be surprised if Ced is exactly like Sety. 

It's officially pronounced "see-duh", I guess would be the way to transcribe it. It's kinda like Caesar, but with a 'd'. So no, Ced probably won't be pronounced as "Sety".

Edited by C. Turtle

1 minute ago, Cornguy said:

Eff-rum is a common pronunciation of that name. I always pronounce it eff-rame, but I've just kind of accepted that I'm pronouncing it wrong. 

Yeah, Eff-raym is the phonetic way, so it's no surprise if a lot of people do. I called him that for a while too, until I pulled Seth.

@Rezzy Incidentally, I checked a bunch of other character voice files to see if they all pronounce his name the same, and they almost all do. Innes pronounces it "Eff-ram" though. Meanwhile, original Eirika pronounces Lyon as "LEE-awn" (like Leon) and the new Eirika pronounces it "Lee-OHN", Frenchifying it. I prefer the latter myself since it distinguishes him from Gaiden/Echoes Leon.

The "see-duh" thing blew my mind when playing Warriors. I guess I should have seen it coming since the French version of Heroes uses Shiida for her name.

6 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

My Team 10 is named ニニアンの竜幼稚園, "Ninian's Dragon Kindergarten", and consists of Tiki, Ninian, Nowi, and Fae. Several of my other teams are variations depending on what is needed, such as an Arena bonus unit, a coverage unit, or Awakening Tiki (who was recently added to the crew as Ninian's assistant). All students and staff are +10 with a refined Lightning Breath+ and Fortify Dragons.

Myrrh joined this morning, though she's still +0 (I have 1 merge lined up right now, waiting for my paycheck on 1 February before I pull more) and doesn't have a full skill set yet, though I have a Hector (Distant Counter), Ninian (Fortify Dragons), and Hinoka (Fortify Fliers) already lined up for her. I haven't added her to a team yet because she's still missing her merges and her build.

Corrin is waiting for an Ike to eat for Steady Breath before I start trying to build her, but she'll be joining the staff eventually.

My favourite thing - updated art and voice acting. I love it :) It's why I get so greedy for more characters being added into the game.

For pronunciations... I keep hoping when Geoffrey comes in, they change the pronunciation from 'Joffrey' like it was in AD, to 'Jeffrey'. Probably won't, but I can hope. I'll keep pronouncing it that way, anyway xD

6 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

My Team 10 is named ニニアンの竜幼稚園, "Ninian's Dragon Kindergarten", and consists of Tiki, Ninian, Nowi, and Fae. Several of my other teams are variations depending on what is needed, such as an Arena bonus unit, a coverage unit, or Awakening Tiki (who was recently added to the crew as Ninian's assistant). All students and staff are +10 with a refined Lightning Breath+ and Fortify Dragons.

Myrrh joined this morning, though she's still +0 (I have 1 merge lined up right now, waiting for my paycheck on 1 February before I pull more) and doesn't have a full skill set yet, though I have a Hector (Distant Counter), Ninian (Fortify Dragons), and Hinoka (Fortify Fliers) already lined up for her. I haven't added her to a team yet because she's still missing her merges and her build.

Corrin is waiting for an Ike to eat for Steady Breath before I start trying to build her, but she'll be joining the staff eventually.

So they're actually electrocuting things. "Incinerate" more refers to fire instead of electricity/lightning. But I see! Lol poor Ike!

I want to see a comic about this dragon kindergarten now. Like, Ninian teaching the young manaketes how to fly and blast things with their breath, while reminding them to use their inside voices and keep hands and feet to themselves.

And I just remembered that Ninian's dragon form actually doesn't HAVE wings. Maybe Corrin can be the flying teacher? Or Ninian's just so talented that she levitates or something.

Edited by Dragoncat

I like the little references in art and map sprites, like Marisa's Special art or Tobin doing his victory pose on the map.

20 hours ago, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

I never realized I have been pronouncing Lyon and Myrrh wrong. 

How are they pronounced?

I always said Lyon as the word lion... I think saying it like Leon is just no because we already have an actual Leon (and Leo in Japanese is Leon), but then again, we do have an Aimee and Amy in RD, so... :/

And the way Seth says Ephraim was a bit odd to me because there's a character of the day in the Pokemon anime also named Ephraim and they pronounced the name as EE-frum with a long E sound rather than a short E sound. That's why I started saying it that way myself. I guess there's more than one official way to say the name.