Skill Ideas Thread

Hawkwing

Exactly as the title says, this is where you can throw around your personal ideas of what skills you'd like to see as well as discussing what others have proposed.

Skill Name (passive/activate, class it's designed for): Description (Notes) is how I've formatted mine, and it makes sense when you see it below. Feel free to format your's however you want.

A small note beforehand is that I personally dislike the percentage based skills common in the series, and would instead replace them with arts from Echoes, except instead of costing hp, skills require a cooldown after use or a build-up in order to use them. A lot more of these skills make sense with that in mind. Also, these are just ideas, and the specifics would obviously change after play-testing.

So without further ado:

Personal Skill Ideas:

Spoiler
  • Bardic Song (Passive): Sends out a random rally whenever this character successfully kills an enemy unit on the player phase. Send out rally spectrum whenever an enemy is defeated with a critical.
  • Dog-Fighter (Passive, Griffon/Wyvern rider): Unit acts as if they have the weapon triangle bonus whenever they fight flying units, regardless of the weapon they are currently wielding. (The weapon triangle would still apply, however. I thought that bonus damage would be a bit overpowered.)
  • Kleptomaniac (Passive, Thief): If character survives the fight, they provide a gold bonus afterwards that is based of the terrain (battles that take place in towns or castles will yield more gold than open fields, for example), the number of enemy units, and the quality of their equipment. (Thus this skill becomes more valuable and profitable the higher the difficulty is. I don’t know whether or not that’s a good thing or a bad one.)
  • One-Man Army (Passive, Knight): All this units stats are temporarily increase by one every time they are attacked on the enemy phase. (This is meant to be a bit overpowered, but some planning does need to go into setting up a situation where this skill would become game-breaking instead of merely useful.)
  • Bull Charge (Activate): Runs in a straight line, attacking every enemy in the way once without any retaliation, but enters normal combat against the last opponent (with charge activated, see below).
  • 25% chance (Passive, thief): Has a 25% chance to activate while in combat. If it does, this unit has a 1/4 chance to either successfully capture or steal from the enemy, activate lethality, or incapacitate/stun their opponent.
  • Not a Fan of Fan-Service (I couldn’t think of a better name, but this skill is meant to be a bit of a joke anyway. If you can think of a more fitting title, please share it) (Passive, Unique class): Deals bonus damage against scantily-clad characters. (The character in question would either specialize in fire/ice magic, wield a medieval flamethrower, an ice gun, or have wolverine claws (or every single of of these). This is meant to be a lethal joke skill, although it would be especially hilarious if the next Fire Emblem game actually had modest design's for all of the classes and characters, with one or two exceptions, making this skill near worthless.)

General Skills Ideas:

Spoiler
  • Jousting (Activate, Cavalier): Adds 1 might for every square moved (up to 7 or 8 depending on promotion) to next attack. Can only attack once.
  • Charge (Activate, Cavalier): Double damage delivered and taken for the first round of combat (if either side attacks twice, the second attack will be of normal strength).
  • Steadfast: (Activate, Armoured): Greatly reduces speed and avoid, but greatly increases strength, hit, and defense to compensate.
  • Experienced Thief (Passive, Thief): Reduces the penalties/requirements for capturing/stealing. Adds the sub-skill set-up. (I haven’t played Tharcia 776 or any of the Fates games, so I don’t know the specifics of how capturing works.)
    • Set-up: The unit spends a turn preparing to capture/steal from an adjacent enemy. During this time, they cannot counterattack (though they can still dodge) or aid in pair-up, and if their target moves or dies, they've just wasted a turn. If they survive the enemy turn and the target is in the same spot, however, the unit has a guaranteed chance to automatically capture/steal their opponent, and can move and act normally the rest of the turn. (This requires planning and foresight on behalf of the player to take advantage of unit placement and the ability to incapacitate their foes to take advantage of this ability. The player has to "set-up" the circumstances in order for this skill to be useful.
  • Backstab (Passive, Thief): If the unit has as an ally (or an enemy of the enemy) of the opposite side of an enemy unit they are attacking, greatly increase the critical percentage (and maybe they could attack twice in a row if they can doubled their opponent).

I may add more later, as my mind blanked as I got to near end, and I've already spent more time than I'd have liked to on typing these up already.

So what are your thoughts on the matter?

I like your cavalier skill ideas in particular.

Here are a few skill ideas of my own: 

Personal Skills:

Spoiler

Older Brother (passive): Increases critical hit chance by 30% if any of this character's siblings' HP falls below 50%

Middle Child (passive): Increases chance that enemy units ignore this character during enemy phase.

Stubbornness (passive): this character's stats cannot be reduced by enemy attacks. If this unit were to double-attack, the character gets to double-attack even if HP is brought to 0 during the fight.

Class Skills:

Spoiler

Pikes Forward (activate, soldier): the unit holds the spear forward and braces for impact. Cannot double, but is effective against cavalry units.

Mordhau (activate, myrmidion/mercenary): the unit grips the sword by the blade with both hands and bludgeons the enemy with the guard and pommel. Deals bonus damage against armoured foes.

Leg Chop (activate, myrmidion/mercenary): Activates on enemy attack: the unit lowers himself to swing horizontally at the charging horse' side. Deals bonus damage against cavalry units.

Walking Fortress (activate, knight): For the entire turn, no weapon attack without effectiveness can hurt you. Weapon attacks with effectiveness deal normal damage (as in they deal what they would without effectiveness).

Blinding Flash (activate, priest): the next light spell blinds the enemy for two turns; reducing accuracy by 70%.

I'm sure I would have more, but these are the ones I can think of at the moment.

• 1 month later...

Evasive Healer (Not sure what to name this)Avoid + 30 and Damage taken -3 if user doesn't have a weapon equipped and is a staff user. This one would be good if you want someone to be dedicated to just being a healer.

Effective Combatant  If weapon deals effective damage against enemy Hit rate + 20 and Effective Bonus is now *4. With this Effective weaponry should always be effective in the right hands.

As someone who has always liked healer classes but had trouble using them in some games due to their low movement, I'd like seeing something like this;

Aiding Effort (Priest/Cleric): Allows unit to move 1 more space if they can reach a friendly damaged unit that way. Disables Attack command for this turn only.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Juggernaut - +10 to Damage dealt and -10 damage taken if adjacent to 3 enemies- A general or Great knight skill or something similar, a big boost but rather situational.

On 3/5/2018 at 9:31 AM, deskita said:

Effective Combatant  If weapon deals effective damage against enemy Hit rate + 20 and Effective Bonus is now *4. With this Effective weaponry should always be effective in the right hands.

This sounds like it'd be completely broken unless you made effective weaponry have low might...

On 3/14/2018 at 2:34 PM, CyberController said:

Persistence: If at full health, the user can survive an otherwise fatal attack with 1 HP.

This sounds like it would be nigh useless imo... just how often do you see attacks that can OHKO a full HP unit that aren't critical hits??? Sturdy as it is in Pokémon works because any attack can be an OHKO if it hits for super effective damage or if the attacker set up enough. Also of note, most Pokémon with Sturdy as an ability have a double weakness, which getting hit by would assuredly OHKO them. Outside of critical hits or massive power gaps, getting OHKOed from full health in FE is something that just doesn't happen.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Personal:

Eagle Scout (Passive): Provides the player with a warning of when reinforcements will arrive. Will also give the exact stats and class of the enemy units in question.

Comeback (Passive): Can survive one lethal attack, gaining back 10 hp. Grants +4 to all stats for one turn when active.

Leaving Some For The Youngins (Active): Provides Miracle to the opponent. Prevents Critical attacks from activating. (Meant for the Jeigan unit).

General:

Terrain advantage (Archer/Sniper) (Passive): +1 (maybe +2) range when in forrest/pillar tiles.

Taunt (Active): Forces all enemy units in the vicinity to attack a specific unit (you can choose which unit you wish for them to attack).

Berserk (Active): Forces an enemy unit into prolonged combat with the user until a victor emerges. Can only be used if the opponent can fight back.

On 5/5/2018 at 12:41 AM, Levant Mir Celestia said:
On 3/14/2018 at 8:34 PM, CyberController said:

Persistence: If at full health, the user can survive an otherwise fatal attack with 1 HP.

This sounds like it would be nigh useless imo... just how often do you see attacks that can OHKO a full HP unit that aren't critical hits??? Sturdy as it is in Pokémon works because any attack can be an OHKO if it hits for super effective damage or if the attacker set up enough. Also of note, most Pokémon with Sturdy as an ability have a double weakness, which getting hit by would assuredly OHKO them. Outside of critical hits or massive power gaps, getting OHKOed from full health in FE is something that just doesn't happen.

I disagree there as some characters do have terrible HP stats additionally it can be used as a safeguard against critical hits and effective weaponry and potentially ambush reinforcements if the game in question has them.

8 minutes ago, senior firehood said:

how about this, a agent or mage that use "divorce"- magic so  that your units in that area lost their supports  and hate each other...i know it sounds stupid..but it is something new^^

Sounds like an enemy exclusive skill as enemies don't tend to have supports. Although having a boss that reverses support bonuses, sounds interesting. :D:

10 minutes ago, deskita said:

I disagree there as some characters do have terrible HP stats additionally it can be used as a safeguard against critical hits and effective weaponry and potentially ambush reinforcements if the game in question has them.

I dunno - it sounds like something that would do the enemy far more good than it would the player.

Highlander - Hit/Avo+10 if fighting atop a mountain or on a plain. (Don't know if this is too beneficial.)

Lowlander - Avo/Crt+10 if fighting in a forest or area with penalties. (Again not 100% sure.)

Not sure if they should be personal or general either. I like the idea of only some units getting it though, those from the rural parts of the highlands and those from the rural parts of the lowlands, I suppose should do.

Oooh this looks fun!  Haven't decided whether they'd be personal or class skills, but I'm leaning toward personal.

Breaking and Entering (B n' E) - Allow a second turn after unlocking a chest or door at the cost of -1 to all stats (incl movement) for that additional turn.  Can't get another turn if the second turn is used on a door or chest.

Golden Aura - The unit also receives the benefits from aura skills he/she has equipped

Pugilist's Paradise - Neither this unit nor the engaged enemy can perform criticals or offensive skills

id say if class based skills by leveling is going to return, giving thiefs pass and knights obstruct might be a good idea since it plays into each classes themes rather well (and instead of giving theifs a mov+1 skill that im pretty sure everyone ditches asap, just give em +1 mov)

obstruct especially id like to see on the base knight line, as it meshes well with the idea of them being a walling unit and could allow for some interesting blocking set ups with multiple knights in open areas.

also for stat boosting skills like +def id say increase the bonus like from +2 to +5, to give it a more noticeable effect and thus make it more desirable.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to see some movement-related Skills.

Traditionally in Fire Emblem, in each turn you can move a character within their movement range (Mov) and then select an action.  The order is "move then act".  I would like to see Skills that can change this order.  For example, a skill that allows the unit with 6 Mov to move 3 spaces, attack, then move another 3 spaces.

This may be a class characteristic rather than a skill, but it would be nice if some units got to move an additional space with the "wait" command.

I'll list some skills, most of which roughly follow this idea.

Spoiler
  • Ram: If unit defeates an enemy with a mellee weapon in a single hit, then unit may move any remaining Mov.  Unit must pass through the enemy's space while using additional movement.
  • Hit-&-run: If unit attacks an enemy with lower Spd and only inflicts a single hit, unit may move their remaining Mov. (Note that if unit is fast enough to strike enemy twice, then there will be options to either "double attack" or "single attack" in case if player wants to move unit after attack.)
  • Hit-&-run+: Same as above, but unit may attack an additional enemy at the end of their movement if Unit Spd×2-5 is greater than the combined Spd of both enemy units.  Alternatively, unit may use remaining movement spaces after double-striking an enemy.
  • Fly-by-Support: After doing a support action (Heal, Rally, Dance), unit may move using any remaining Mov.
  • Quick-recovery: Unit may use a recovery item or stat-enhancing item and attack in a single turn.  Spd will be reduced by 3 for this battle.
  • On-Guard: After a "Wait" command, unit may counterattack before an enemy attacks if unit is greater than enemy Spd-5.  This applies if enemy enters unit's attack range during any part of their movement path, not just the space that enemy attacks from.

1 hour ago, Electric-Gecko said:

I would like to see some movement-related Skills.

Traditionally in Fire Emblem, in each turn you can move a character within their movement range (Mov) and then select an action.  The order is "move then act".  I would like to see Skills that can change this order.  For example, a skill that allows the unit with 6 Mov to move 3 spaces, attack, then move another 3 spaces.

This may be a class characteristic rather than a skill, but it would be nice if some units got to move an additional space with the "wait" command.

I'll list some skills, most of which roughly follow this idea.

Reveal hidden contents
  • Ram: If unit defeates an enemy with a mellee weapon in a single hit, then unit may move any remaining Mov.  Unit must pass through the enemy's space while using additional movement.
  • Hit-&-run: If unit attacks an enemy with lower Spd and only inflicts a single hit, unit may move their remaining Mov. (Note that if unit is fast enough to strike enemy twice, then there will be options to either "double attack" or "single attack" in case if player wants to move unit after attack.)
  • Hit-&-run+: Same as above, but unit may attack an additional enemy at the end of their movement if Unit Spd×2-5 is greater than the combined Spd of both enemy units.  Alternatively, unit may use remaining movement spaces after double-striking an enemy.
  • Fly-by-Support: After doing a support action (Heal, Rally, Dance), unit may move using any remaining Mov.
  • Quick-recovery: Unit may use a recovery item or stat-enhancing item and attack in a single turn.  Spd will be reduced by 3 for this battle.
  • On-Guard: After a "Wait" command, unit may counterattack before an enemy attacks if unit is greater than enemy Spd-5.  This applies if enemy enters unit's attack range during any part of their movement path, not just the space that enemy attacks from.

I hope I don't come off as condescending, but these all sound like variations of canto, a skill inherent to mounted units in some Fire Emblem games. It's meant to emphasize the greater mobility that a mount gives and to be honest even if unmounted units had it it wouldn't be anywhere near as useful since they just have less movement to make use of it. For example, a mounted archer with canto can run in attack a target and run back to safety behind allies or just completely out of enemy range and be completely safe and if an unmounted archer had it they would attack and move back a little and then get slam jammed on enemy phase because they couldn't run far enough. I think movement related skills would be interesting they just have to be something more useful for unmounted units with less movement range.

17 hours ago, Modamy said:

I hope I don't come off as condescending, but these all sound like variations of canto, a skill inherent to mounted units in some Fire Emblem games. It's meant to emphasize the greater mobility that a mount gives and to be honest even if unmounted units had it it wouldn't be anywhere near as useful since they just have less movement to make use of it. For example, a mounted archer with canto can run in attack a target and run back to safety behind allies or just completely out of enemy range and be completely safe and if an unmounted archer had it they would attack and move back a little and then get slam jammed on enemy phase because they couldn't run far enough. I think movement related skills would be interesting they just have to be something more useful for unmounted units with less movement range.

Thank you.  I have only played Heroes and Awakening, and just beginning Fates, so I didn't know about Canto.  It looks like it's basically an upgraded form of any of the 1st, 2nd, 4th, or 5th skills that I listed, as it doesn't have the restrictions that I listed.

But with my experience playing Awakening, it often would be useful for me.  Sometimes, I had a destination for units to reach, but having to fight enemies would slow them down.  Sometimes, I just needed to move someone (especially support units) out of the danger zone, which is often only 1-2 spaces away.

You might find it less useful depending on your playstyle.  But even if it's only a small benefit, I think it's still worth having as an option.  Maybe some reduced version of this idea should come with all units by default, so less skills are required.

• 2 weeks later...

Personal Skill:

Hot Blood. Passively gains the user Critical Rate +5 each ally unit's HP below 50%. Doesn't work if the ally units defeated on the battle. (Infantry axe-wielder / Fighter-based class character)

Ladies Man. Passively gains the user Skill +2 each adjacent female ally units. (Male. Cavalier-based class character, like Sain)

Envious. Hit Rate +5 and Damage dealt +3 againts enemy's unit which have higher Spd than the user. (Female. Armor knight-based class character)

Buyable Skill:

Fortification. Active: cannot be used after the user's move. Grants the equipped healing staves with "Fortify" effect with only half healing powers. Cannot be used when the user equipped with Fortify and non-healing staff.

Swim. Able to move and negates movement reductions on water tiles. Doesn't affect flier units.

Edited by illegal knight