Who do you usually bring to the Endgame?

I noticed that there didn't seem to be an active thread on this? Also I'm a new member who wants to make the RD threads more active. And I'm just curious to see who people like to bring, I'd really like some ideas for my next playthrough.

My usual team is this:

Ilyana (Rexbolt)

Leonardo (Double Bow)

Astrid

Sigrun (Wishblade)

Mia (Alondite)

Soren (Rexcalibur)

Naesala (yeah I know Laguz royals are cheap and easy mode but I really like Naesala as a character and his theme song, so I like bringing him along)

Haar (Urvan)

Heather

Nephenee

And Leanne as the Heron

Out of a combination of my love for the cast of the first game and that most of them start off Part 3 well-equipped to handle tough enemies, most of my endgame team was composed of members from the Greil Mercenaries; Soren, Mia, Oscar, Boyd, Gatrie, Shinon, Rolf, Mist, etc.. Besides them, I remember using Nephenee, Kurthnaga, and Ena, while my Heron was Reyson. I can't say if I'll consistently use this team in the future, as I beat PoR and RD for the first time a few months ago, but I expect to see them somewhat regularly in subsequent playthroughs.

Unless you're doing some sort of challenge run, bring who you like.  For example, one of Rolf/Shinon always finds his way in, because I like that duo.  Ditto with Pelleas.

Wait, i'm not the only person that brings Astrid and Ilyana to the end game ? Yessss!!

I like to try and use new characters every time i play RD, it will get boring if i used the same characters again and again and again, but there are always some character that i could never leave behind, like Mia for example : 3 

I also tried using Meg the last time i played RD, which wasn't easy, but i still didn't regret bringing her to the endgame, i'm thinking of trying to train Fiona the next time i play RD (whenever that will be ) I like using characters that are hard to train for some reason. 

I don't have a set team but if I'm not doing a challenge run, it's usually some variation of the following:

-The six forced units

-Reyson (more move and canto)

-Elincia

-Between one and three laguz royals, almost always including Nailah

-Mia or Zihark

-Marcia, or Tanith, or both, or Nephenee

-Titania, Haar, Jill, and/or Nolan

-Volug (if he's supported with either Nolan or Zihark or Jill who is also on the team). Occasionally another non-royal laguz such as Janaff/Ulki/Skrimir/Ranulf, but usually not

-Rolf, or less often Shinon (Shinon is better, but I don't like him)

-Calill, or rarely Soren or Bastian instead (Calill's speed and res-targeting make her the most underrated endgame unit IMO)

Who I bring to the final maps depends as sometimes I like mixing it up such as all mages and armor units, another time I brought all of the laguz that one was a lot of fun. Generally though I like having a mixture of beorc and laguz with some arrangement of the following being my units of choice. This is not in order of priorities. I may go over the unit limit here as I forget how many you can take.

Nolan

Boyd

Aran

Nephanee

Edward

Stefan

Haar

Jill

Titania

Kieran

Tormod

Bastian

Pelleas

Caliil

Soron

Geoffrey

Oscar

Makalov

Marcia

Ellincea

Tauroneo 

Volke

Renning

Laguz:

Reyson (will last better than Rafiel and can do up to four units when shifted)

Skrimir

Caeineghas

Giffca

Naihala

Volug 

Mordecai

Muraim

Tibarn

Janaff

Ulki

Kurthnaga (he might be required, I forget as it's been a while but once he gets a few level ups he is a really good unit.)

Ena

Sidenote- I don't usually bring Ranulf though I have done it before. The reason why I don't is it seems all other laguz types do more damage than he does, and cat laguz drain their bars the fastest. That said Ranulf is still a solid and noteworthy choice.

Edited by SavageVolug

I choose my team that at least almost each holy weapon is covered.

• Urvan: Jill
  • Alondite: Mia or Edward
  • Vague Katti: Mia or Edward
  • Double bow: Rolf or Shinon... sometimes even Astrid
  • Wishblade: Marcia... I also try Fiona 
  • Rexcalibur: Soren
  • Tibarn
  • Naesala
  • Caineghis
  • Elincia (because free aura kill)
  • Rafiel (because possibility to oneturn E-3 and even E-5)

Rexfire goes to Sanaki who's forced anyways. RIP to Rexbolt though because Ilyana stinks after part 1. And RIP to Baselard because Sothe is garbage in part 4 and endgame.

• 1 month later...

The cast was so huge looking back I realize I barely had any consistent teams for endgame. The only unit I loved to use consistently was Elincia (even more than Haar in my casual playthroughs ie not draft). A flying healer with godlike offensive potential, access to rescue that doesn't even require stealing an SS weapon from a more capable fighter come endgame? Yes, please.

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 6:59 PM, SavageVolug said:

Sidenote- I don't usually bring Ranulf though I have done it before. The reason why I don't is it seems all other laguz types do more damage than he does, and cat laguz drain their bars the fastest. That said Ranulf is still a solid and noteworthy choice.

Which isn't a problem if you give him a Laguz Gem.

I just bring whoever has the best stats (usually the majority of the Greil Mercs), 1-2 laguz royals (using all 5 is gimmicky and cheap), and Reyson w/ Laguz Gem.

So my last end game team was... plus the required units.

Haar (Silver Poleaxe)

Nephenee (Wishblade)

Geoffrey (Brave Lance)

Soren (Rexcalibur)

Elincia (Amiti)

Gatrie (Silver GreatLance)

Shinon (Double Bow)

Boyd (Urvan)

Mia (Alondite)

Caineghis

I happen to be replaying the game again right now, but this is from memory from my previous runs I think, 10 slots if I recall correctly.

Edward + Mia (Vague Katti + Alondite) [High availability, high speed and my bias for swordmasters. My Edward tends to be better than Zihark usually and I lowman this game so hard it's not even funny. Mia struggles with her low base strength, but transfer bonuses help)

Nephenee (Wishblade) (I tend to feed her a lot of exp in part 2, so she spends most of part 3 as the strongest character ish. Turns into a god with transfer bonuses)

Shinon (Double Bow) [Self explanatory, though until he gets the Silencer he's pretty over-reliant on the killer bow and crits to 1RKO, but he's so ludicrously good, and that's before the Double Bow.]

Nolan (Urvan) [To be honest, the Urvan is a little underwhelming since it lacks 1-2 range. Innate Nihil and Tarvos helps. To be quite honest, I'm training Boyd in my current playthrough, and Boyd's not bad himself. Still, I prefer low manning and Boyd's bases are a little underwhelming, even with transfer bonuses)

Mist (Staffbot 2) [Bias intensifies. Self explanatory. At least she has good availability? Canto helps, but she only gets that when she promotes though.]

Caineghis + Giffca + Tibarn [The result of low manning is that you end up with a few open slots. I like the royals anyway, totally not biased at all.]

Reyson [High move + Canto. Usually I just spend the first turn on a Laguz Gem and then roll the entire chapter, although I have noticed I don't need a Laguz Gem sometimes because I wrap up the chapter so fast. I also give him the boots and celerity to boot]

I think I might be missing a character or two but uh....yeah, I'll have to see again when I get to endgame again. Right now I'm on 4-2 so maybe I'll hit Endgame tomorrow.

Edited by CocoaGalaxy

In my most recent run on Normal/Hard mode, this is who I brought:

Spoiler

Oliver (Nospheratu)

Gatrie (Wishblade)

Volke (Peshkatz)

Stefan (Vague Katti)

Mia (Alondite)

Shinon (Double Bow)

Haar (Brave Axe)

Caineghis 

Soren (Rexcalibur)

Titania (Urvan)

Raphiel

I memed Oliver to the fullest I possibly could btw. I gave him Resolve and Vantage, and capped every one of his stats besides Res, which he left off with 1 point away from the cap.

Edited by CatManThree

@CatManThreeI bring Leonardo every playthrough. Yes, even on Hard Mode. And I've played through the game 20+ times.  What can I say, he's my favourite RD character. 

Last playthrough (which I completed today actually, on NM) I brought:

Leonardo 

Astrid

Fiona

Rhys

Kyza

Mordecai

Lucia

Edward

Ilyana

Danved

So after quite some time I've finally reached the endgame again. I've actually had a slot left over (it's 10 plus reyson), and I'm not actually sure who I want to bring.

My vote would probably go for like Boyd or so, but honestly I dunno. Currently I'm bringing Nailah, but in my next playthrough I'm actually thinking of trying to use Fiona. (It's not impossible at least.....just really difficult apparently)

I'm not really interested in Jill/Seraph Knights (incl Elincia), Leonardo/Rolf/Astrid are kind of hard to justify, and I already have two Trueblades. The rest of the characters don't hit the 34 speed requirement or are laguz, which are kind of a drag.

Edited by CocoaGalaxy

I don't see why anybody would bring a heron aside from Reyson unless it's based on character bias. He's just objectively the best. Of the three, he's the best at taking hits (he'll still go down easily if your stupid, but unlike the other two he can conceivably tank a hit). Unlike Reyson, he can fly, and unlike Leanne, he can refresh four units. One might think Reyson has an edge as he can refresh four units at once without transforming, but that's a non issue thanks to the Laguz Gems which transfrom them for the entire map. Unless you have some seriously well prepared turn 1 shenanigans, then it doesn't matter. He even has more move than the other two with a full 8 when transformed. There's seriously no category that's important in which he doesn't outshine the other two in end game.

On 3/27/2018 at 5:46 PM, CocoaGalaxy said:

So after quite some time I've finally reached the endgame again. I've actually had a slot left over (it's 10 plus reyson), and I'm not actually sure who I want to bring.

My vote would probably go for like Boyd or so, but honestly I dunno. Currently I'm bringing Nailah, but in my next playthrough I'm actually thinking of trying to use Fiona. (It's not impossible at least.....just really difficult apparently)

I'm not really interested in Jill/Seraph Knights (incl Elincia), Leonardo/Rolf/Astrid are kind of hard to justify, and I already have two Trueblades. The rest of the characters don't hit the 34 speed requirement or are laguz, which are kind of a drag.

You should bring an archer. Double Bow is fun to use, it's the best weapon in the game.

Edited by Jotari

On 3/29/2018 at 4:42 AM, Jotari said:

I don't see why anybody would bring a heron aside from Reyson unless it's based on character bias. He's just objectively the best. Of the three, he's the best at taking hits (he'll still go down easily if your stupid, but unlike the other two he can conceivably tank a hit). Unlike Reyson, he can fly, and unlike Leanne, he can refresh four units. One might think Reyson has an edge as he can refresh four units at once without transforming, but that's a non issue thanks to the Laguz Gems which transfrom them for the entire map. Unless you have some seriously well prepared turn 1 shenanigans, then it doesn't matter. He even has more move than the other two with a full 8 when transformed. There's seriously no category that's important in which he doesn't outshine the other two in end game.

You should bring an archer. Double Bow is fun to use, it's the best weapon in the game.

I do bring Shinon for Double Bow. I did wrap up my recent run not too long ago, and right now I'm trying to think of who to bring for my next run since I have a free slot.

I'm already bringing three laguz royals (Giffca counts, even though he doesn't have formshift). I'm not too hot about bringing Nailah nor Naesala because I really don't need more, but I have my own issues with other units (plus all the SS rank weapons are already taken. I could bring Elincia but I'm not really that hot about bringing Fliers and 2 staff users is plenty)

For Heron wise, I do like Reyson the most, though IMO I value canto massively over Rafiel (giving him the boots and Celerity helps too, but that's possible bias, but really, canto is so good I'd daresay it's broken in POR/RD)

The main issue with bringing Reyson is only evident in speedruns (which all use Rafiel), since you spend the first turn using the Laguz Gem/Stone to shift, and the Endgame goes by so quickly it's rather noticeable when you lose one turn of chanting, even for the less speedy runs. I'm not sure how fast you can clear or easily clear 4E1, but 4E2-4E5 can easily be beaten in a small handful of turns without too much issue I think. Like I myself find it hard to drag my feet even if I wanted to, 4E4, I think usually by turn 3 I've slaughtered all the spirits and only Sephiran is left, same for the auras in 4E5

(I'm not even a speedrunner, like, I just spent 30 turns on 1-2 because I took my goddamn sweet time to walk across the map)

Edited by CocoaGalaxy