Before anyone decides to buy the next Fire Emblem, watch this....

ToxicDuck

I doubt things like this are going to change my mind about buying a game. I just don't have any strong opinions on the matter. If a scantily clad girl gets some extra clothing then I find that incredibly easy to ignore regardless of whether or not I think its needed. And I doubt we get to worry about characters getting covered up considering the popularity of Camilla. 

In some cases this censorship might even be for the best and Fates gives us the most obvious example of that. The removal of Skinship was what was best for the series and Soleil wouldn't have worked in the west as she was because the whole concept of a girl only being into another girl as a childish phase is considered really offensive in the west. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Personally, I'm hyped for a crotch slider in the newest Xenoblade game.

I don't get the point of this topic.  You linked a video about how the Xenoblade 2's director being happy about the localization of his game, and this is somehow supposed to convince people not to buy the new FE game.  Yeah, maybe learn how to actually make a convincing argument next time...

Aside from having nothing to do with FE, I don't get the appeal of Xenoblade. So boring. It has the worst combat system ever. That sounds like my opinion, but it's actually objective fact. Scientists have proven it in places where science happens... scientifically.

Edited by Etheus

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I doubt things like this are going to change my mind about buying a game. I just don't have any strong opinions on the matter. If a scantily clad girl gets some extra clothing then I find that incredibly easy to ignore regardless of whether or not I think its needed. And I doubt we get to worry about characters getting covered up considering the popularity of Camilla. 

In some cases this censorship might even be for the best and Fates gives us the most obvious example of that. The removal of Skinship was what was best for the series and Soleil wouldn't have worked in the west as she was because the whole concept of a girl only being into another girl as a childish phase is considered really offensive in the west. 

Well done localisation is great and all, and this video certainly does nothing to convince me not to get FE Switch, but on the topic of Fates... This game is not set in modern times. We're fighting with swords and sorcery, we have kingdoms and dragons, values are clearly different. Soleil's female infatuation being treated as a phase being in a game released in the west doesn't mean the values are representative of western values. Incestuous under... well, overtones aren't exactly approved in the west, but Fates has that in abundance, and it's not like we're saying that's representative of western values. Offensiveness isn't the be all and end all, despite what the current political climate would like to believe. Localising to be more culturally appropriate/change things that wouldn't make sense translated is fine. Localising to censor isn't. I didn't care about stuff like skinship, but that doesn't make censoring them under the guise of localisation okay. Sorry this turned into a rant. I don't mean to get on your case, or anything. It just sort of happened.

I think I see what you were going for, but aside from certain seemingly useless support conversation changes, I didn't mind the localization of FE Fates, so I'm in for the FE Switch train. Censorization and changes made in localized versions usually have their reasons, such as Corrin supposedly spiking Soleil's drink, Soleil going through a 'phase', etc. that wouldn't simply work out for the consumers in different countries and can only be culturally accepted in Japan or some other countries. 

I see no problems with what they've done.

They're basically saying that they want the largest possible number of consumers to have this type of game readily available to play. Meaning that the companies involved with development make more sales and thus get larger budgets for more projects later down the line.

If you look at Pokémon's anime it's sorta how it's been produced as well. Much earlier on, there was little communication between episodes that were being produced and how acceptable they'd be in each territory. Various things such as Onigiri were censored to make them more familiar to overseas audiences. After  the Pokémon Company took over dubbing it it's lead to better communication between Japan and the west in terms of producing content that perfectly fits in all regions and as a result, there's hardly any censorship in Pokémon nowadys except for perhaps a bit of throwaay dialogue on a rare occasion.

That's all that's really happening with Xenoblade here. They're making it so that there's no boundaries between how it's made in Japan that might conflict with it in the rest of the world. Effectively, they're speeding up the process of how they make games by preventing any need for a content removal overseas.

Okay, now that I'm back from class for the day, I can finally explain shit. 

7 minutes ago, Light Strategist said:

I see no problems with what they've done.

They're basically saying that they want the largest possible number of consumers to have this type of game readily available to play. Meaning that the companies involved with development make more sales and thus get larger budgets for more projects later down the line.

If you look at Pokémon's anime it's sorta how it's been produced as well. Much earlier on, there was little communication between episodes that were being produced and how acceptable they'd be in each territory. Various things such as Onigiri were censored to make them more familiar to overseas audiences. After  the Pokémon Company took over dubbing it it's lead to better communication between Japan and the west in terms of producing content that perfectly fits in all regions and as a result, there's hardly any censorship in Pokémon nowadys except for perhaps a bit of throwaay dialogue on a rare occasion.

That's all that's really happening with Xenoblade here. They're making it so that there's no boundaries between how it's made in Japan that might conflict with it in the rest of the world. Effectively, they're speeding up the process of how they make games by preventing any need for a content removal overseas.

And yet, the people going to JPN, telling Monolith and IS what they can and can't do, are members of Treehouse, the localization company filled with SJWs, soy boys, beta males, feminists, tumblr users, etc. I played through Xenoblade 2, and it just didn't click with me as much as the first game did, and I think Treehouse's meddling is why. 

Yes, and the older episodes are more often than not, considered to be FAR superior to what they are now. Company meddling = awful quality/cheapening of the brand. 

Except that Xenoblade was never meant for kids, it's meant for young adults. Pokemon, Yokai Watch, etc I can understand americanizing, but Xenoblade, FE, etc? No, I can't get behind that. Besides, people like myself want to experience what the Devs intended, but with Treehouse touching EVERY VERSION OF THE GAME, I can never see what their vision was really like. Also, these tumblr snow flakes don't even play these games, so why even bother trying to appeal to them? 

1 hour ago, Hardin said:

There is nothing wrong with a company modifying content to fit in with the standards and practices of their target market. 

....I'm not even going to bother, you've drank too much kool aid hun. 

6 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

I'm confused.  This just reaffirms my opinion of localization and censorship, that I'm okay with it.

Not to mention that this is about Xenoblade.

How are you okay with a developer's vision being censored? 

No, this is about how Treehouse is meddling in these newer JRPGs. 

5 hours ago, Blade Lord Lyn said:

Uh....I don't get whats the whole point of this topic...

The point of this topic is to show that Treehouse is up to their meddling again, except now it's even worse. Remember the games that were censored in 2016 because of them? 

6 hours ago, Jedi said:

Maybe it would have been convincing if it had anything to do with Fire Emblem.

It does, considering Treehouse localized Fates, and now they butchered Xenoblade 2. For all we know, they're going to butcher FE Switch. 

7 hours ago, Refa said:

Personally, I'm hyped for a crotch slider in the newest Xenoblade game.

I don't get the point of this topic.  You linked a video about how the Xenoblade 2's director being happy about the localization of his game, and this is somehow supposed to convince people not to buy the new FE game.  Yeah, maybe learn how to actually make a convincing argument next time...

Except he's not really happy. The Japanese are known to be really polite and aren't very likely to speak out about this thing. Besides, for JPN devs, it's either have their game changed in the west, or not released at all. In this case, Monolith was forced to even changed the JPN version too. In other words, Treehouse is bullying Nintendo Co. LTD. 

20 minutes ago, ToxicDuck said:

How are you okay with a developer's vision being censored? 

No, this is about how Treehouse is meddling in these newer JRPGs. 

But the video you posted literally said there's active involvement by the original developers during localization.  It's a two way street and translators and developers work together.  

I for one am okay so long as I enjoy the product.  And if I don't, it's never been because something was censored.  

Literally the only change during localization I'm solidly disapproving of instead of either liking it or not caring is Saizo and Beruka's C support.

28 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

I for one am okay so long as I enjoy the product.  And if I don't, it's never been because something was censored. 

This. Because while I haven't liked every single moment of censorship I've ever seen, admittedly, I'm alright with it most of the time and even sometimes feel it was necessary, like with that petting game in Fates. That was just the stupidest crap ever, and wasn't even well-received by the Japanese, I heard. Petting a person you barely know is just weird. This isn't Pokemon where you're petting creatures.

There are some other examples too, but I'd make this post rather long if I did, so I'll end it here.

1 hour ago, ToxicDuck said:

Treehouse, the localization company filled with SJWs, soy boys, beta males, feminists, tumblr users, etc.

This little gem of a comment is filled with so much "nope" I don't even know where to possibly begin to help educate you.

But suffice to say, if they're working together with the original team, I think it's okay. Not to mention there was nothing to save Fates from being the tragic mess it already was. I wish Treehouse took more liberties with fixing that game tbh. I think it's all about the end product. But marketing is designed to appeal to different markets.

What sells well in ONE place doesn't sell well across the mediums. It's basic advertising/marketing.

And yet, the people going to JPN, telling Monolith and IS what they can and can't do, are members of Treehouse, the localization company filled with SJWs, soy boys, beta males, feminists, tumblr users, etc. I played through Xenoblade 2, and it just didn't click with me as much as the first game did, and I think Treehouse's meddling is why. 

Had to reread your post a few times to figure out if you were being ironic or not. Are you really arguing that Xenoblade 2 was weaker for having the sexualization of female characters toned down?

How did I know the Censored kids would come out before the first trailer of the game? Can we just pre-emptively lock any thread on this subject until there's actually something to discuss besides tired examples involving Fates or any games that don't have Fire Emblem in the title?

Look, if you don't like your region's version of the game, then go buy the original Japanese release. The Switch is region unlocked. 

9 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

How did I know the Censored kids would come out before the first trailer of the game? Can we just pre-emptively lock any thread on this subject until there's actually something to discuss besides tired examples involving Fates or any games that don't have Fire Emblem in the title?

Because these people are utterly predictable, that's why.

In this case, Monolith was forced to even changed the JPN version too. In other words, Treehouse is bullying Nintendo Co. LTD. 

If the comment about Treehouse being filled with every buzzword used to de-legitimize things a certain section of the internet doesn't like didn't tip the hand that you're trolling, then this does. The idea that Treehouse--who Nintendo owns, because they're NoA's localization team--could bully Nintendo is ridiculous. Everything Treehouse does, they do with Nintendo's implicit approval.

Edited by Azure Sen

Are things like the removal of a breast slider really enough to have a major impact on whether or not you purchase a game? I don't think it's the end of the world if I can't have huge anime tits.... besides I'm sure that there are games that are more geared towards that kind of thing anyway....

Treehouse, the localization company filled with SJWs, soy boys, beta males, feminists, tumblr users, etc.

Oh boy

Not even a little surprised you turned out to be this time of person. Easily offended, bro?

20 minutes ago, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

Oh boy

It's amazing how easy it is to see the gears turning in somebody's head when they say terms like "SJW" and "soy boy", and use "feminist" as a derogatory term. 

Edited by Slumber