If there was a Blazing Sword remake...

LdotRage

I have a hard time deciding how I want BS remade. Mostly because I don't know if I want the "expanded" FE system like FE4-5 and the Tellius games, where there are triangles within triangles, more classes, more weapon types, skills, more specialty-based classes(Mostly Tellius here), etc. or if I want them to keep the same intentionally simple design philosophy of the GBA titles.

I think I'd prefer if they expanded it to be more like the console FEs, but I feel like I'll get yelled at if I suggest that too much. So here's more general stuff, rather than major sweeping changes like that.

• Definitely buff the enemies. I feel like Eliwood Normal should be as hard as Hector Normal, Hector Normal should be as hard as Hector Hard, and Hector Hard should be the "Lunatic" equivalent.
  • Nerf horsies, especially Paladins. Like @Titamonsaid, simply getting rid of axes would go a long way. Them losing their community staple weapon of Hand Axes would hurt them a bit.
  • Expand the support system. More supports so long as they make sense(IE why can Raven NEVER interact with Hector, the heir and eventual ruler of Ostia?), and don't limit it to 5 total. I'm fine with one A level and the rest being Bs, but give more than just 5.
  • Don't fuck over Pirates and Thieves with their promotion items.
  • Change the recruitment or bases of some characters. Rath is probably the best bow user in the game, or at least has the potential to be, but he shows up way too late to live up to it unless you give him special attention. Farina gets this even harder in Hector mode. Obviously Nino's a different story since she's deliberately made to be low level late in the game. I don't think Farina and Rath were supposed to be so underleveled that they're too difficult to use a lot of the time.
  • Make Lyn mode not so braindead so people actually want to replay it. Even on Hard Mode where you aren't guided by the tutorial anymore, it's pretty face-smash for 2-3 hours, but you end up with stronger characters in Eliwood/Hector mode. And it's necessary to unlock side chapters in Hector mode.
  • Give Lyn something that makes her not just a worse Swordmaster. A crit bonus, more strength, ANYTHING that isn't a bow.
  • Or if it sticks with just bows, make bows actually good in this game.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Change the recruitment or bases of some characters. Rath is probably the best bow user in the game, or at least has the potential to be, but he shows up way too late to live up to it unless you give him special attention.

He shows up at the same time and at the same levelĀ as Heath, and Heath doesn't join "way too late" to live up to his potential.

Which could be because Heath uses lances and Rath uses bows, so I am partial to the idea of giving Rath a few more points in Speed.

Edited by Paper Jam

8 minutes ago, Paper Jam said:

He shows up at the same time and at the same levelĀ as Heath, and Heath doesn't join "way too late" to live up to his potential.

Heath has the benefit of not being bow-locked, which means he isn't almost entirely reliant on player phase for levels. The following chapter is also a desert map, where Heath can see some action(Albeit cautiously, since a lot of the enemies are mages) while Rath won't.

Edited by Slumber

20 hours ago, Slumber said:

Change the recruitment or bases of some characters. Rath is probably the best bow user in the game, or at least has the potential to be, but he shows up way too late to live up to it unless you give him special attention. Farina gets this even harder in Hector mode. Obviously Nino's a different story since she's deliberately made to be low level late in the game. I don't think Farina and Rath were supposed to be so underleveled that they're too difficult to use a lot of the time.

I dunno - I thought Farina wasn't that hard to use, especially comparedĀ to Nino, who doesn't have an easy time getting off the ground since enemy units by that point are far outclassed by yours.

• 3 weeks later...

Ā 

These are the main two things I can think of.Ā 

*Limit Lynn mode for experienced players. Lynn couldĀ be completely written out of this game and nothing of any value would be lost since her arc is nothing but a tutorial. It would be nice to skip this, or at least limit the tutorial aspect.Ā 

*Fix Eliwood's promotion time. Eliwood has a lot of problems as a unit, but the main one tends to be his ridiculously late promotion time. It's easy to get him to level 20 and he spends a good period of the game maxed out waiting for that promotion. Promoting early would probably be a big help.Ā 

Ā 

I think this game still holds up pretty well today and I'd rather see Binding Blade get a remake.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

*Limit Lynn mode for experienced players. Lynn couldĀ be completely written out of this game and nothing of any value would be lost since her arc is nothing but a tutorial. It would be nice to skip this, or at least limit the tutorial aspect.

How is that different from the fact that you can start a game withĀ Eliwood's or Hector's tale after beating the game at least once?

And doesn'tĀ LHM "limit the tutorial aspect" as well?

I suppose I'm inferring a suggestion that what you're asking for isn't already present in FE7 as it is. I might be mistaken on that inference, and you just want to keep those particular aspects of FE7 in any hypothetical remake.Ā Of course it's a good idea to keep those options in.

Edited by Paper Jam

• 1 month later...

Blazing Blade is one of my favourite games so it would be cool for a remake as long as it was as high quality as SoV. Some stuff I can think of is

• Make LynĀ mode optional (for the first playthrough) or at least make the tutorialĀ optional
  • Make Eliwood hard mode playable from the start but Hector mode (and HHM)Ā has to be unlocked from beating Eliwood mode
  • Skills would be nice but arts could be used like in SoV I suppose
  • Get rid of the support limit, I'd say either make it like SoV were you can have as many supports as you want and the characters have canon pairings that they end up with or add in S supports which could either be platonic or romantic and limit those to one per character so there are still different endings
  • I forget where I heard this but maybe make Leila the playable thief in LynĀ mode so we actually care about her later instead of just feeling bad for Matthew
  • Give Eliwood an earlier promotion in his mode and make Lyn better in general
  • Make bows better, or at least make the bow using units not suck
  • Memory prisms. Stuff like Lyn's village being destroyed, Hector and Eliwood's friendship when they were younger, the Black Fang when they were still "good", Athos and Nergal's past, Nils and Ninian's relationship with Nergal, etc
  • Maybe give Mark dialogue but don't make them playable, if they do then don't make him a fourth lord
  • Maybe some OCs? The ones in SoV (aside from Faye) were really good and if the same team worked on it again I could definitely see them being great characters
  • Ability to marry Florina and Lyn
Edited by Embered-Leavves

I'd love to see more decisions within the story that could branch out the game and add layers of complexity. For instance, decide what to do with Eric. Kill him? Imprison then recruit? Spare him and forget all about him? Or like choose whether Oswin tells Hector about Uther's death, splitting the army but getting a chance to use more of them like in Echos. (Also make Uther playable).Ā I would also love a spy minigame or side plot with Matthew, Leila, Legault and Jaffar. I like the idea of choose your country of origin. That could be fun in a Fates kind of way. I want more Sacae chapters and characters.

If they do end up making a remake, it might not be a bad idea to put FE6 and 7 together, or add playable chapters on Elbert's time with the dragons. A few chapters withĀ Young Athos and Nergal could be cool too. Most folks seem to agree that the balance of the game is what makes it so awesome. That said, I would hate to see a remake as just a replica with better graphics.Ā 

Last - let Lyn and warriorsĀ use ballistae

• 3 weeks later...

make it and fe 6 in the same game, and the let roy, lilina, sue and the twins be able to use weapons based on their non-fixed parents, so the pairing on Blazing Blade counts, dragonstones, lances or bows for roy, lances swords or light for Lillina, Sword for sue and Daggers (swords) for the twins

I wouldn't say no to more supports and a skippable tutorial.

I'd also like to be given the choice between Ninian and Nils for my dancer/bard (unless one or the other is out of the story due to reasons). I just much prefer Nils' cute little jig with the flute.Ā 

Otherwise... I pretty much love this game as it is. It's the one that kickstarted my love of FE. Again, though, wouldn't complain if we got to recruit Linus and Lloyd (who needs random morph bosses anyway?).

On 1/31/2018 at 11:47 PM, LdotRage said:

make the tutorial in Lyn's story skippable (and her story less boring in general),Ā and it would be great.

I still need to actually read the rest of the topic, but wanted to ask this before I forgot. Do you mean boring in terms of gameplay or story? Gameplay, I 1000% agree, but I'm perfectly content with the story. It's nothing grandiose, but for what it is, I think it does a great job. Sure, the narrative has been done a million times, but so has everything FE's done for the most part, and this one's handled better than a lot of full FE stories IMO. It's got a lot of nice character moments, most of the characters have some actual significance, and there's no horrid plot holes (though I wouldn't mind an explanation of what Lundgren had on Eagler).

For the rest, like I said, need to read everything, and then I'll be posting my thoughts, though I do fully support making the tutorial skippable in all difficulties.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I'd like Mark to be removed entirely. They don't really add anything, save for the tutorial aspects, and it always felt rather jarring for the characters to talk directly at the screen like that. Like I'm watching Blues CluesĀ or something.

Add Mila's turnwheel (Idk Pents Turnwheel, he's a god in this game)

Crank the difficulty

Nerfing Paladins is probably for the best like everyone else said

Add more depth to the story by fleshing out important and side characters. (more screen time for the people we wanna see) More Nergal, we need more, he needs to be less bwahh im evil and i want power suck it.

More characters

Fully voiced lines would be godlike

If it's not made before the binding blade remake, make it a part of binding blade

Better promotion items, Fel contracts and Ocean seals are retarded. Maybe an extra heaven seal for one of your lacking lords because there is always gonna be one. Or even add the auto-promote like in Path of Radiance when you hit 21.

Buff archers, maybe to SoV levels.

Ā 

Edited by Tsak

• 1 month later...

I would say to add 3x effectiveness on certain weapons. Make Durandal more useful; give it 3 more might and 4 less weight. As for Sol Katti, give it one more might and change it's CRIT rate to 30%. Give it a weight of 11-13. Give Mani Katti +2 might and 85% hit, along with a boosted 25% CRIT rate. Add special bonuses to Eliwood's exclusive rapier he starts with. I'd say about the same stats as a Noble Rapier from Awakening, with 45 uses and 15% CRIT. Wolf Beil is pretty much perfect. Probably more edits but tese were the 1st to come to mind.

-Optional tutorial

-Buff the difficulty, ENM should be the easy mode, HNM the normal mode, EHM should be the hard mode, HHM should be the lunatic mode

-Give the bosses better stats

-More playable characters

-Make Mark function as a Avatar type of character

-More supports and ending options

-Change the bases and growths

-Earlier main lord promotion time

-Make promtional items easier to obtain

-Up the supper effective damage from bows to 3x times rather than 2x

-Nerf the arenas

-Add more weapons

-Nerf Paladins

-Add more classes

-Fully-voiced lines from each character

-More back-story on Nergal

-More back-story on side characters

-Combine it with FE6, FE4 style if possible.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/1/2018 at 2:56 AM, Dandy Druid said:

I would hope the Jugdral games get remade first, mainly because they're older and need the updating, but I wouldn't be pissed if the Elibe games got remade. I wouldn't be surprised if Blazing Blade is the next Echoes tbh, since IS is convinced that we treat Lyn as our "Marth" and not Marth as our "Marth". That being said, here's a few of my ideas, as well as bouncing off what other people said:

• I don't want to change the writing too much, because we already know the story and it'll be confusing if the plot got switched up. However, there are areas for improvement. The biggest one being Lyn's story. I would like the option to skip it after we've beaten the game (or saved past a certain point like Fates) and it needs to be more interesting. The beginning is supposed to hook the player in but I find it more on the boring side. The story doesn't really pick up until Eli and Hector are introduced.
  • Branching promotions. Why not? I know the original didn't have them, but seeing as they're one game off from it being introduced in SS, I think it could be interesting.
  • Give Ninian + Nils a different song and sound for different rings. This is just detailing, but I think fans would appreciate something small like this.
  • Maybe pair up? I'm on the fence on this one, but I think it may be nice for a gameplay perspective if it's done similarly to Fates. Plus, it may seem more friendly/familiar to newer hardcore fans and casuals.
  • While we're at modern mechanics, I do think skills should be added.
  • Maybe add a few more supports? Each character already has a few written for them, so adding 1-3 more could be cool. One idea is Hector and Priscilla, mainly because I think it would make sense for Lilina to be the daughter of Priscilla (same demeanor and has magic abiliites) and it could unify their houses and put the past behind for a more united Lycian Alliance.
  • Different difficulty modes.
  • If Mark is becoming more than just the silent protagonist they'reĀ supposed to be (and I'm fine keeping them like that), then maybe they should just go all out with customization. I want to pick out their clothes/background.
  • Maybe include some of the older characters from 6. Douglas, Dayan, Zelot, and maybe Niime should be included. Although, I'm not sure how Douglas can be worked in the story since Eturia isn't as big of a deal in this game. The others should be easier though.

Ā 

I think pair up and skills would require too much re-balancing, and I think a lot of people wouldn't like it (myself included) as it would fundamentally change how the game plays. However, maybe a rescue rework would do, but I'd like two different modes for changes and original, or maybe this only on easy difficulty.Ā 
When you pick someone up with rescue, you can drop them off the next turn and they can still move, attack, trade, etc. that ends the unit that picked up the other's turn and gives them the negatives of picking up a unit for 2 more turns.Ā 
I feel people could like something like this as it would open up more strategies, but would likely make it easier as you could have a throwaway unit and it might encourage turtling.Ā 

Edited by ezpzxd

• 2 weeks later...
On ā€Ž7ā€Ž/ā€Ž28ā€Ž/ā€Ž2018 at 6:37 PM, ezpzxd said:

I think pair up and skills would require too much re-balancing, and I think a lot of people wouldn't like it (myself included) as it would fundamentally change how the game plays. However, maybe a rescue rework would do, but I'd like two different modes for changes and original, or maybe this only on easy difficulty.Ā 
When you pick someone up with rescue, you can drop them off the next turn and they can still move, attack, trade, etc. that ends the unit that picked up the other's turn and gives them the negatives of picking up a unit for 2 more turns.Ā 
I feel people could like something like this as it would open up more strategies, but would likely make it easier as you could have a throwaway unit and it might encourage turtling.Ā 

A rescue rework would be nice, especially since the refreshers in this game have limited movement and limited availability.

Thinking back, I wouldn't include pair up now. It would make a lot of levels far too easy. Skills I'm still on the fence about though.

I don't think there's much one should change other than a few things.

-Reduce the requirements for chapter 19xx, Nils should be lv 5 instead of 7. Make it so Kishuna doesn't retreat after being attacked and let's us have 3 turns from that point before she retreats.

- Improve Barte and Karla, to make them worth using and recruiting in the later case.

-Remove fog of war in HHM in the desert chapter.

• 2 months later...

I'm going to pick some of my favorites Ā out of here-

On 2/1/2018 at 5:46 AM, Purple Mage said:

Mark as a playable unit, but the class options are normal classes (Cavalier, Knight, Mercenary, Myrmidon, Mage, Shaman, Monk, Fighter, Pirate, etc.) selected akin to FE12. Maybe add a "country of origin" to add a boost to a certain stat and restrict class options. (ex. Etruria adds to Magic and restricts you to magic-users and Cavs, Sacae adds Speed or Skill and unlocks myrmidon/nomad, Bern unlocks Wyvern Knights alongside adding to Strength or Defense, Ilia adds to ResistanceĀ andĀ has Mercs, Shamans, and exclusive Pegs.)

This idea is actually REALLY neat. Plus, this opens up a world of possibilities, including supports from Mark's homeland (i;e a Bernian Mark could support with Heath, Dorcas, etc) and extra plot moments in those countries, if you go there. Meaning the Sacae chapters (0-4) could be a little more involved, or the Bern chapters could have a part where Mark swears to protect the prince. Perhaps at the end, he goes back to his homeland; and in the Bern example, helps protect the prince from the abuse of King Desmond (although it wouldn't fix Zeph's hatred of humanity or anything)..

On 2/1/2018 at 11:02 AM, Tuvy said:

I just really, really,Ā REALLY,Ā want reclassing, as in second seals and such.

That never caught on with me; still, it's a novel concept. Fates and Awakening in general were pretty busted with this, but seeing it in FE7... Oh, Knight Hector, Ā Hero Renault... Cleric Florina, perhaps? No? All right then...

On 2/4/2018 at 11:29 PM, halvey said:

Remake both FE7 and FE6 into the same game with 2 generations. That way fans can have their pairings and such with the cast of FE7, however characters withĀ a canon pairing already (example: Pent/Louise, Bartre/Karla, Dorcas/Natalie) cannot be paired with anyone else. Then in FE6 there will be brand new characters being the offspring of the fathers in FE7. There will be pairings in FE6 but no children.Ā 

So, an FE4 approach, then? I see where this is Ā going. It makes pairing Eliwood, Hector, Canas, etc., more strategic. Obviously, supports would have to be cleaned up (that comes up a lot here, actually), but it could work. A game this size would have to cost loads to make, and- dare I say it- might not even work on the Switch due to size. But enough talk. This concept is WONDERFUL, and it's been thrown around a lot. I actually prefer the idea to regular FE7/FE6. If I knew Nightmare, I would change bases and growths to adjust for inheritance anyway. Extra points for Lyn's pairing?

On 2/7/2018 at 7:10 PM, LdotRage said:

Actually, while most of FE7's story is perfectly fine the way it is, I think Lyn's story could definitely benefit from an overhaul. Make the tutorial skippable, make it more difficult in general, and possibly edit the timeline a bit so that it takes place right before Eliwood/Hector mode. That way, instead of having a brief and mostly meaningless cameo, Eliwood and Hector could show up a few times here and there to set up their story in the background, so the switch wouldn't feel as sudden and jarring, and Lyn Mode wouldn't feel as fruitless after completion.

Well, this is actually something I see a lot. The tutorial is the sole reason I've avoided getting a physical FE7 cart; I'm worried that it'll be blank-progress. I want one without it. (But please don't try to sell me stuff on the forums. I'll look for one myself.)

On 2/24/2018 at 8:20 AM, Titamon said:

Durandal and Sol Katti need some help. Reduce their weight by at least 4 and give Sol Katti 3 more might. Then we're talking.Ā 

Indeed! Truer words were never spoken. Perhaps the buffs could be adjusted, but who cares, so long as Armads isn't the only useful Legendary Weapon.

Why has no one here mentioned to buff the warriors? They are easily the worst units in the game minus Geitz.

Speaking of which, a couple of things I'd like them to change.

• Bring a prologue that has Lyn and her parents. Like literally, we never get to see her parents in the slightest.
  • Show ending cutscenes where some of the units in BB appear here. Like how Klein and Dieck show up or a moment where you can see Geese after getting Geitz.
  • Buff up Guy and Karel. Guy for how he is not Rutger and Karel for if anyone decides to get him, he ends up below Harken making those who got him instead regret it. Don't give a damn about Karla cause I haven't gotten her and I'm least bothered about her.
  • Make some units easier to get like Geitz for example and make them less cryptic. Yes it helps in replayability but unless you use a guide, some of these units can't be recruited on your first playthrough.
  • Buff up archers. Let's face it, they suck forever unless they do it like how they are in Echoes.
  • More supports obviously and if possible, rewrite some of them. Dorcas X Valda is the worst.
  • Make it so that you don't require to beat eliwood mode to unlock Hector mode.
  • Buff up enemies but not on the levels of BB.
  • While its not possible to rewrite the story, atleast address some of the plot holes so that it can be better than before.
  • Don't make any unit Hector mode locked at all. Get them in all modes.
  • Since Lyn is my personal favourite, buff her up so that people can stop complaining for how thrash she often is(in my opinion, she's atleast better than Roy's sorry ass.)

Ā 

The ability to grind.Ā  Some of us aren't exactly master strategists, and prefer to just steam roll enemies.Ā  It would also fix the biggest problem with Nino, being recruited incrediblyĀ late despite her low level and stats, when the player already has better units.Ā  And let's face it, it's just great for people who just want to have fun or watch the story.