If there was a Blazing Sword remake...

LdotRage

17 hours ago, nickfan1 said:

The ability to grind.  Some of us aren't exactly master strategists, and prefer to just steam roll enemies.  It would also fix the biggest problem with Nino, being recruited incredibly late despite her low level and stats, when the player already has better units.  And let's face it, it's just great for people who just want to have fun or watch the story.

Grinding isn't a problem here. Infact the game is designed in a manner that you don't need grinding at all. If at all units appear late have lackluster stats, its due to timing and not the grinding in which case, training them may or may not be worth it in the long run.

I think just adding more sidequests might do it.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd make Hector a lance user, giving him Maltet instead of armads, and make Lyn uses axes. no Idea for the wolf beil and  maniikatii though Lyn could use armads.

EDIT: Lyn could get the wolf beil in place of the maniikatii.

Edited by squid4001

On 10/14/2018 at 2:04 AM, Harvey said:

Why has no one here mentioned to buff the warriors? They are easily the worst units in the game minus Geitz.

I'd say Karla and Renault are even worse. The former comes in at level 5 with subpar base stats a couple chapters from the end of the game, and the latter comes in at level 16 with subpar bases right when the game's pretty much over.

Aside from combat mechanics, removing Merlinus from the battlefield would be nice.  In Sacred Stones we got Eirika (or Ephraim on his route) as an access point to the supply convoy, and I prefer it by far.  I've never had trouble keeping Merlinus alive but a mobile convoy isn't so irritating to deal with.

I'd also like Mark to not be in the game at all, self-insert characters like Corrin are okay I suppose but Mark is just straight up the player and I'm not a fan.

Also- this is a small one but when Lucius and Raven get a paired ending, for them to just be a couple.  Their supports already have Raven all but proposing to Lucius, might as well properly commit to it if they remake 7.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2018 at 4:57 AM, Shadow Mir said:

I'd say Karla and Renault are even worse. The former comes in at level 5 with subpar base stats a couple chapters from the end of the game, and the latter comes in at level 16 with subpar bases right when the game's pretty much over.

Bit late replying back but whatever...

I can't say about Karla because I've yet to play Hector Mode but I will say that Renault is actually fine for what he does. He's not qualified to solo maps but if for some reason you lose Pent, he'll be a good replacement.

Still don't get what it has to do with Warriors though as they arrive early and yet you can't make much use of them. And Bartre needs to be used all the way to get a character so late in game.

2 hours ago, Harvey said:

Bit late replying back but whatever...

I can't say about Karla because I've yet to play Hector Mode but I will say that Renault is actually fine for what he does. He's not qualified to solo maps but if for some reason you lose Pent, he'll be a good replacement.

Still don't get what it has to do with Warriors though as they arrive early and yet you can't make much use of them. And Bartre needs to be used all the way to get a character so late in game.

The problem is, I have to jump through an insane amount of mental hoops to justify Renault's inclusion in a team since he's obsoleted by the time he's even relevant, and not just by Pent. Pretty much any mages I'd have spent time raising are going to be better than him by that point.

At the same time, at least they have some time to be used. Karla and Renault, on the other hand, are rendered obsolete well before they arrive.

Edited by Shadow Mir

• 3 weeks later...

If there was a Blazing Sword remake I'd seriously question to logic of the ones in charge of IS. Because I don't see any benefit in a remake. Blazing Sword already had a world wide release unlike the games that came before it and unlike the Tellius games its still quite easy to get your hands on these days and didn't tragically miss out on the acclaim it deserved. And its not like the game is outdated either. It has aged pretty well and doesn't have any giant mistakes that need correcting. 

It would also fix the biggest problem with Nino, being recruited incredibly late despite her low level and stats, when the player already has better units.

But that isn't a problem. Its how an Est works. If you put lots of investment in a weak unit you end up getting rewarded with the highest potential stats of their class. This ensures that a unit like Erk or to a lesser extend Pent would still have a place on your team. Erk is already fully trained by that time you get Nino and him not ending up as good is made up for by the lower investment that's required to make him feasible. 

If you can just grind and feed Nino low level enemies until she's fully grown then there is less reason to use any other mage. You could fairly easily get the best mage without the danger or work that balances out her high stats. This removes the balancing act that makes using or not using an Est such an interesting decision to make. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2018 at 7:32 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

But that isn't a problem. Its how an Est works. If you put lots of investment in a weak unit you end up getting rewarded with the highest potential stats of their class. This ensures that a unit like Erk or to a lesser extend Pent would still have a place on your team. Erk is already fully trained by that time you get Nino and him not ending up as good is made up for by the lower investment that's required to make him feasible. 

If you can just grind and feed Nino low level enemies until she's fully grown then there is less reason to use any other mage. You could fairly easily get the best mage without the danger or work that balances out her high stats. This removes the balancing act that makes using or not using an Est such an interesting decision to make. 

The trouble is, she's too much input for not enough output. FE7 enemies being weak stats-wise doesn't help because it means it's highly unlikely she's going to catch up because most of the time my trained badasses are going to kill whatever they face off against. And the fact that the first chapter you get to use her in after her recruitment is one with a godawful gimmick is most definitely no help in that regard. There's no balancing act when trying to get her up to speed is far more trouble than it's worth...

Edited by Shadow Mir

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2018 at 2:37 PM, Tenzen12 said:

If you think so, you have other options, but training her isn't all that hard for many to be consider  "too much". Plus low level means she is best adept for drops. 

In the end it depends on everyone playstyle. 

Yeah, let's go and ignore how her first map after recruitment is Night of Farewells, where she's a massive liability, what with Bolting and Wyvern Riders. The fact that FE7 enemies are weak doesn't help in the least - how am I supposed to get an underleveled unit off the ground when most enemies are just way too weak to the point where my trained badasses can kill them just by staring hard??? Also, Afa's drops don't help that much - 5% extra growth isn't a lot.

Edited by Shadow Mir

it's not like I intentionally Ignored anything. I never experienced such issue so I can't empathize. 

As I was saying it's really just matter of play style and compatibility. Nino is simply not for you, you can use Pent or Erc (I never use Erc) instead without taking opportunity nurture Est character from others in name of "fixing" her. 

Edited by Tenzen12

21 hours ago, Tenzen12 said:

I don't know... how you can see that as problem. I never experienced such issue so I can't empathise. 

Then you're not thinking hard enough. Simply put, if a unit requires lots of babying, odds are they aren't worth it. It's bad enough that Nino needs to be babied, but her first chapter after recruitment is an awful level with a bad gimmick??? H-e-two hockey sticks no. She's practically unusable in HHM, too.

Edited by Shadow Mir

Fix effective damage

Fixing the bases/growths of some units

Echoes style supports as I found those to be comfortable

Reclassing and branching promotions

Difficulties should be able to be chosen from the start, not after completing routes

Decrease the reliance on 1-2 range weapons by having less enemies with ranged weapons

Add skills (RD style)

Nerf some classes like Paladins to have less weapons or something. Maybe less stats upon promotions as well?

Getting rid of the support limit

Memory Prisms

That thing in Echoes where you were able to talk to your allies in villages/castles/shrines. The further you go in the story the more they'll reveal their past and such

Echoes style archers

4 hours ago, Tenzen12 said:

It's not worth for you (and her second chapter is pretty fine if you ask me on either mode). I do admit some people might have hard time, but that's not general rule, it's just your personal experience.

Okay then. Tell me how in the name of Grima you would train Nino knowing how pathetic FE7 enemies are if you think you know so much about it. By the way, Cog of Destiny is a mage fest on HHM. I should not have to explain why this is bad for Nino.

Edited by Shadow Mir

First you almost kill enemies, then you finish them up. Alternatively you do it other way around. It's not hard science, you just go level her and not let her die. 

As I said I acknowledge it might be difficult for some maybe even many (not sure which), but I don't know why. For me answer is "just play normally". I know that's hardly satisfying answer but it's only one I have. 

Anyway why you can't simply accept that everyone are like you. If you aren't willing go through trouble leveling her, there are other options. But it would make game blander if you take away that chance from others for whom it's not hassle at all. 

Edited by Tenzen12

16 minutes ago, Tenzen12 said:

First you almost kill enemies, then you finish them up. Alternatively you do it other way around. t's not hard science, you just go level her and not let her die. So I guess trick is be bit cautious. 

Perhaps you need to play the game again and see how pathetic FE7 enemies are, because it seems my point went completely over your head. There is no "almost killing" when by that point my units are overkilling enemies, other than maybe some rare enemy types.

Edited by Shadow Mir

There is when I play it and that's probably difference between two of us. You sound like Anacybele. Assuming something is impossible just because you are not great at it. 

Edit: I guess you might be better in speed runs instead. I am not really good at these. 

Edited by Tenzen12

4 minutes ago, Tenzen12 said:

There is when I play it and that's probably difference between two of us. You sound like Anacybele. Assuming something is impossible just because you are not great at it. 

Correction: It's because by that point my units aren't leaving any scraps for Nino to feed off of. Or am I supposed to shoot myself in the foot by deploying units that I've dropped earlier just for the sake of training her???

Edited by Shadow Mir

Well, you always have units like Lyn and Eliwood. You also  can use iron weapon (I always keep some on my units to spare silver and killers anyway), attack high res unit with magic, attack meele through walls or friendlies, abuse boss through attack and reposions so they don't switch to ranged weapons. Have Nino two hit kill with Ninian help. I think there should be still some arena after her recruitment too (not sure about that) 

... Yes, things like that I guess. 

52 minutes ago, Tenzen12 said:

Well, you always have units like Lyn and Eliwood. You also  can use iron weapon (I always keep some on my units to spare silver and killers anyway), attack high res unit with magic, attack meele through walls or friendlies, abuse boss through attack and reposions so they don't switch to ranged weapons. Have Nino two hit kill with Ninian help. I think there should be still some arena after her recruitment too (not sure about that) 

... Yes, things like that I guess. 

What if I told you that even doing most of this, they still kill the enemies?? By the way, bosses in this game tend to have high resistance, so that's a no go. And that's ignoring how pretty much all of them at this point use ranged weapons anyway. Also, there's only one arena left after that, and you only have a limited amount of turns to use it.

In that case you probably need get more training in not killing enemies. As for bosses high resistance is plus that means Nino can attack them more times before they get killed. 

Given many characters need quite time build their supports there is no reason kill bosses quickly anyway. 

Edit: I forgot about items too, they can help Nino catch up faster. 

Edited by Tenzen12